“Great Time!”

Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa
Ranked #10 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 23 February 2012

Just back from a week at Sandals Negril. We were a little concerned about the reviews of the recent month, but any time we read bad things about Sandals prior to our trips, they have turned out to be for not and not our issues.
Booked the butler suites and were upgraded to the loft suites. The interiors were a little old, but we don't care and spend such little time inside, that it didn't matter.
The beach was awesome. Not as murky as reported and the weather plays a factor in that. There was a smell, but it comes from the decomposing seaweed. It never reached the shore line. We were on the west end of the resort and the Hedonites that walked the beach were more of nuisance than anything. Don't mind looking at young perky nakedness, but the old hippies that came from over there pretty pathetic.
Loved our butlers Jerry/Kendrick!!!! There were the best butlers we have ever had at any Sandals. So attentive and willing to do for us. They made many runs to our chairs on the beach with drinks, lunch or snacks daily. Decorated our dinner tables and our room at nights with towel creatures and provided us chilled champagne that it was tough to say goodbye to them. Nice guys that were helpful to us, yet we didn't ask for much help, they continued to offer it to us. Our choice to return to this resort at another time, is based on this service.
The resort is going through a renovation, albeit non-intrusive to the guests. They painted the roofs of the loft suites while we were there and now look wonderful. The new piano bar area was great and the new fire pit for night, is wonderful. They are painting and sprucing up the place daily. With garden and landscaping, sidewalk work, etc. You hardly new that they were doing all of this. The food was ok. The best was Sundowners and Barefoot by the Sea. Din't like Kimonos, not like Tokyo Joes at the other resorts. Never went to Dinos, but didn't hear great things about it from others. The return dinner was great, good food and nice job with the large group that attended. They are trying to improve this resort and it is evident.
Also, the ride to and from the resort was not as bad as I read about. The roads were not in that bad of shape and the fact that there are no highways, just slowed down the ride. But we got to see the country, so it was ok. Will try another next year!

9  Thank Dorosel

Reviewed 23 February 2012

We have just returned from two weeks at Sandals Negril. Have many opinions regarding this experience ranging from the good, the bad and the ugly.

The good:

The resort in most respects. We REALLY liked the relaxed atmosphere, the absence of the requirement that men wear pants for the alcart dinners. Over the past several years we have been to several all inclusive resorts ranging from average to exclusive and this is the first one that we have experienced with this relaxed dress code. Considering the Jamaica weather, this is very appropriate as shorts for men are very much appreciated.

The entertainment staff. Sandals calls these folks “playmakers” and their skills, hospitality and outgoing nature is exceptional in our opinion. All of these people have exceptional talents as evidenced by their talent, showmanship and ability to interact with all age groups within the resort and they were definitely a notable difference in the Sandal’s experience.

The food. As good and in many ways better than what we have experienced in the past 6 all inclusive experiences. The buffet offers “healthy choices” which was greatly appreciated during out two week stay as the scale was our enemy upon return to reality and without some of these options, the damage count have been worse!

The overall service. From the moment that you arrive and clear customs, the Sandals staff does an exemplimary job of making your vacation experience memorable. While you pay a little extra for this level of resort, during our visit the difference was noticeable from other 5 star resorts and several of the staff interactions made the service exceptional.

The lack of the expectation to “tip” to receive better service. Sandals specifically requests that tips NOT be offered to their staff and we specifically provided a gratuity to several of the service staff that provided exceptional service, we at no time felt the pressure or expectation to provide this additional remuneration. Once off the resort, the locals expressed their clear desire and an expectation that tips were expected regardless of the service provided. I am not against providing tips for good service and always bring cash to reward these efforts, but this exceeded our expectations and was a differentiating factor with the Sandals resort.

The bad:

The absence of a suitable place to enjoy sports on television, especially during the World Series and weekend football. I don’t expect to good on a vacation of this nature to attend a sports bar, but the ability to watch these events during our visit was very challenging further compounded by renovations and repairs to the “piano bar”. In our last three resort experiences, facilities ranged from good (multiple bars with sports coverage) to exceptional (a theatre that served as a sports bar during the football playoffs) and a very memorable experienced on wild card weekend in which the game was offered on a large projection screen on the beach (night game) and this will not be soon forgotten!!

The ugly:

While the resort can not be faulted relative to Mother Nature and the fact that considering the weather (hurricane in the area) the second week of our visit experienced a beach phenomena that occasional occurs on Seven Mile beach. Exceptional amounts of seaweed was continuously washing up on shore, making the use of the beach difficult to disgusting. Again, the resort can not control the weather or the challenges of nature, but the response to this event was woefully inadequate in our opinion. On small loader was charged with this clean up and after 30+ hours of continuous efforts, a second loader of similar capability was brought in. Having a beach front room and listening to the roar of this equipment continuously during our last four days definitely changed the ambience of the vacation. Also the beach was very unattractive from both a visual and smell perspective.

One of the main reasons for choosing this resort was the location on Seven Mile beach and this event and the response of the resort certainly impacted the last days of our vacation. I would strongly encourage the resort to improve their response to events of this nature and potentially make efforts to procure the required equipment to minimize the impact of this on the resort and its guests.

Summary:

While our visit and this resort had a couple of shortcomings, we had an excellent vacation overall and would definitely return to a Sandals for a future vacation. This was the first time that we have been to Jamaica and the hospitality, weather and overall experience have us planning another visit to this chain of resorts in the future.

Room Tip: Beach views are VERY nice!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank frogandgator
Reviewed 22 February 2012

I’m posting a review for Beaches Negril, Beaches Sandy Bay, and Sandals Negril. As we had just spent two weeks in Jamaica for our wedding/ honeymoon. In rating the hotels on returning to the property my order would be hands down I would return to Beaches Negril, 2nd choice Beaches Sandy Bay, and 3rd choice Sandals Negril which I will explain in each property’s review.

After staying a week at Beaches Negril we moved for another week to Sandals Negril to have our “honeymoon” after the wedding. Let me first off say Sandals Negril is a really nice property and we did enjoy our week at the resort. But when it comes down to which property I would re-book etc… I pick Sandals Negril to be my third choice after Beaches Negril and Beaches Sandy Bay based on value and experience which I will explain below.

I will start with the positives. I have to admit and for those who don’t have kids and/or wanting to have an adult vacation it was nice to be at an adult only property with no kids. The food is much better out of the three hotels. And there are more restaurant choices with a better quality of food at Sandals Negril. Our room inside was really nice room 7204 and had a private front balcony and view of the garden/ beach area. The service is really nice too and we did enjoy scuba diving at this resort as well.

The reasons I would not pick Sandals Negril as my first choice to return: The main reason is the beach location. Now don’t get me wrong ALL of Negril is beautiful and the beach itself at this property is gorgeous. But the beach at Sandals Negril and Beaches Sandy Bay is on a very narrow strip of the beach, literally only have one row of chairs. The beach at Beaches Negril is much larger and wider and feels more open and not as claustrophobic. Our last day we opted to walk over to Beaches Sandy Bay (Sandals Negril and Beaches Sandy Bay are literally right next door to each other) and take the shuttle over to Beaches Negril to spend the day on the beach there, that’s how much nicer we found it to be. The second main reason is the value/price paid and this of course is going to be particular to each individual’s perception of what is more important to them on vacation. For Beaches Negril and Sandals Negril we paid the same amount for a room at each property. At both property’s we were upgraded (and I assume it was because we had a wedding and then our honeymoon) which was really nice. Comparing the room at Sandals Negril and Beaches Negril. We liked Beaches Negril better (and really we are hardly in the room- its Jamaica we were on the beach the entire time) but here is why we liked Beaches Negril better. For the same dollar amount the room at Beaches Negril was so much quieter. And for those who only view the room to be important to sleep in will agree with me on this. Beaches Negril because the property is larger and set back you could not hear traffic all night long. At Sandals Negril the property is not as large and set right on the main road, you could hear traffic all night long. The other part is Sandals Negril is right across from a little private airport so you could also hear planes throughout the day/night. This is just a small matter but again when comparing room type and same price paid we liked Beaches Negril room better because it had two sinks in the bathroom and Sandals one (I know seems trivial but trust me 1 week sharing a sink when you aren’t use to sharing sinks is a hindrance). The other part that we found to be a little annoying is the music, because it is an adult only resort they play loud music on the beach until 1:30am which we didn’t really care for because we like to be active on vacation and where getting up early each day to do things, so if you don’t mind staying at a resort with kids Beaches Negril is much better as it isn’t loud after 10pm.

The reason I would pick Beaches Sandy Bay over Sandals Negril if I was to return to Jamaica, is solely based on price. Like I had mentioned previously Sandals Negril and Beaches Sandy Bay are next to each other and have the same narrow strip of beach, so Sandals isn’t a “better” location. Yes Sandals has nicer amenities and restaurants, but you can spend so much less at Beaches Sandy Bay and take full advantage of all the nicer amenities and restaurants at Beaches Negril with the Beaches exchange program.

We did enjoy our time at Sandals and would plan on staying at a different Sandals in the future. When we did an excursion we passed Whitehouse and that looked pretty nice. I would also consider a Sandals again if we do travel to another Caribbean island, just if I was to choose to travel to Negril again I liked Beaches Negril the best (and hey it is their sister property instead of a different competitor!).

Room Tip: We were in 7204, but could hear a lot of traffic, would suggest asking if there are rooms that are q...
5  Thank Gigglynay
Reviewed 22 February 2012

We recently went to Sandals Negril. The trip was perfect. Perfect weather, great food, great drinks, and the most attentive and incredibly hard working staff. The staff at this resort is what makes it. From the start, Nadia, was an incredibly attentive concierge. She want above and beyond on a daily basis making sure our needs and wants were met. Latoya made sure we were never empty handed and made the most incredible dirty banana drinks. She was so friendly and upbeat and knew exactly when we needed something. She worked with Leighton the bartender who was just as attentive and even showed us how to make a jellyfish shot. Smiley (Davian) worked with the snorkeling and made our experience one we will never forget. He always had a smile and was upbeat and energetic. Princess and Nordette were the most incredible waitresses we have ever met. They carried plates on their heads and serenaded us with song. Finally, the playmakers, Kenroy and Tashana helped motivate us to get involved in the games and activities. They work incredibly hard and are fantastic at motivating everyone. We enjoyed our stay so much that saying goodbye to the staff was actually hard. A few of them actually made us cry. We can't wait to come back. The staff here are the key to the most amazing vacation you will ever have.

Room Tip: Meet the staff. Introduce yourself and they will make sure you have the time of your life.
3  Thank Samantha W
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed at Sandals Negril in March of 2011 (sorry for the late review). My husband and I went with another couple and all in all, we had a fantastic time.

Transport to the Resort: We only had about 10 minutes to enjoy the Sandals lounge at the airport and were then whisked away to a waiting van. We were the only people in it so it felt like a private tour! No issues getting to the resort. yes, it is a long-ish drive but SO worth it!

Arrival and Rooms: Upon arrival we were welcomed with a drink and were taken to our rooms. Both couples opted for the cheapest rooms since we wouldn't be spending much time there. I couldn't tell you where we stayed, but they were ground level, garden view rooms. Nothing special. I agree with many others that there is a noise issue - either from the nearby road or from the many service carts bump-bumping their way down the hallway on the tile floors.

Beach: What can I say. Best beach I've ever seen so far. Sure it might be narrow but that didn't bother me. I loved that the water was so calm and clear - I just floated around every morning and it was heaven. Beach vendors didn't bother me - we enjoyed watching them go by.

Chairs: I think that chairs are definitely an issue at this resort. The number of chairs reserved by butlers is ridiculous especially when often the guests never even used them. We turned into 'those people' who took to reserving their chairs at night. As a group of four, we stayed on the beach from dawn till dusk - well after everyone else had left. So I didn't feel too bad. We just tidied up and left our stuff on our chairs overnight. The soft-spoken Canadian in me still made me get up every morning at 7 to go 'hang out' on the chairs to justify the save. Silly that we had to do that of course, but it is what it is.

Activities: I'm not an activity person, but my husband likes some of that stuff and he loved the entertainment staff. Not just for the organized activities, but for how fun and welcoming they were the rest of the time. I'd often lose him for hours just to find him and one of the entertainment staff playing an intense game of jumbo chess or shuffleboard.

Food: I thought most of the food was excellent. The Italian was just okay. Our favourite was Barefoot by the Sea - the ambiance, the food and the service was all excellent. Breakfast was pretty good (not the best buffet I've ever had but a good 7 out of 10 for sure. Coffee was incredible (how the heck do they make it so good!?).

Grounds: Beautiful and well maintained. I can't speak to the pools since we didn't use them. Why would you when you have that beach?!

My only 'issue' with Sandals is the discrepancy in service between the room categories. While I generally felt well taken care of, there were a few times where I felt like a second class citizen at the resort. Didn't bother my husband or our friends, but I noticed it.

If you book early enough and get a good deal (I'd say in the 2k-2400 range during high season is okay) then it is great.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JannyD144
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
6.8 km away
Couples Swept Away
#13 of 80 in Negril
0.8 km away
Azul Beach Resort Sensatori Jamaica by Karisma

Been to Sandals Negril Beach Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK