“Riu Palace”

“Riu Palace”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

April 14-20

Room:
We had an oceanview room in building 5. There were some trees blocking the view but we could still see the ocean fine. The rooms weren't fancy but who cares. We didn't spend a whole lot of time in our room anyways. The beds were firm. I was dreading them after reading reviews on here but they were fairly comfortable. We were on the third floor and next time we will request a ground floor room. I don't think we would get an ocean view room again either. It was nice, but the other rooms views seemed just as good. We were worried about the safety of our money from other reviews but we did not have an issue. We did bring envelops so we could seal our money in them and write down how much he had. We also brought a bike chain and luggage locks. We put out money in a suitcase and locked it and chained it to the sink. This however was overkill. By the end of our stay, we realized the safe would have been sufficiant. We did not hear of anyone that had money stolen or any other items missing. There was some noise from the nearby road but it really wasn't that loud.

Beach:
Simply amazing. I have not seen a beach like this in my life. The water is calm and clear and warm. The beach here is huge and we didn't have any trouble getting lounge chairs at any time of the day. There are vendors that walk up and down the beach but a simple no thank you and they move on. We walked down to the Club Riu and found the stretch of beach on the way there to be dirty and full of litter. The beach at Club Riu is not as nice as it is at Riu Palace Tropical Bay. There is a nude beach in the opposite direction of Club Riu so be careful if you go for a walk on the beach and don't want to see that.

Pool:
We enjoyed the swim up bar and the pool area. One downfall is that the pool closes at 6 pm. We didn't have any issues getting chairs by the pool either.

Food:
Breakfast was by far the best. Don't let other reviews sway your thinking of this place. I am a picky eater and there was PLENTY for me to eat on the buffet. There were some other interesting dishes that others may like but being as picky as I am, I did not try them. The specialty resteraunts are also very good. I would recommend making reservations at them. Thelbert in the dining area was very polite and accomidating to us. Look for him and sit in his section!

Bars:
We did take our own mugs but found we didn't need them. The size of the glasses provided were more than sufficiant. The drinks were very good and plentiful!

Staff:
Very friendly and accomidating. We did bring tip money and did tip accordingly. I wouldn't say we went all out on tipping but we did tip when we felt it was deserved.

Grounds:
Beautiful grounds and very well manicured. The buildings could use an update in the near future but they are still in good shape.

What to bring:
Plenty of sunscreen, some bug spray, beach floaties, snorkling equipment.

Excursions:
We took a taxi to Margaritaville. That cost us about $20 round trip for 2. There we walked on 7 Mile Beach. We found that the beach on Bloody Bay is nicer with less vendors. I can't speak for the bigger resorts on the north end of 7 Mile Beach but the beach near Margaritaville is nice but it is nicer at Riu. I am glad we went there but would not go back.

We took a catamaran one late afternoon to Rick's Cafe. We had to swim about 200 yards to get to Rick's. There we were hounded by all sorts of people for tips for the jumpers. Three younger kids actually swam out to the boat to ask for tips. Again, I am glad we went but would not go back.

We also took a tour of the Black River and YS Falls. This was a lengthy drive from the resort. We enjoyed the Black River tour but that got a little long. YS Falls are absolutely amazing. I would go back to YS Falls again but probably not the Black River.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank Mark Z
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,282)
  • Polish first
Brooklyn NY

May 7th -May 14th

I Just want to start off by saying this is the 4th Riu ive been to, 2nd Riu ive been to in Jamaica.

This Riu Does not Compare to other Rius and is certainly not a Palace.

Check In: I arrived at 11am and the room was not ready i checked back at the front desk every half hour and was told to come back after 2pm , after 2 pm we checked back again and we were told the room was available but not cleaned at this point we were already sitting around for 3 hrs so we wanted to get our bags to the room anyway. I booked an oceanview Junior Suite , the balcony over looked the lunchroom. so i went back to the front desk and asked to have the room switched to make a long story short we cvhenged our rooms 6xs and did not get what we paid for in addition to that after so many hours our going back and forth we were so fed up that every oceanview room they showed us had a tree or something blocking the ocean there was no oceanviews unless you had a jacuzzi suite and even that was a partial view . My BF paid for us to go to an ocean front room it was on the 3rd floor and had a tree in the way also but it was more of an oceanview then the other 5 rooms. so 4 hours and 250.00 latter we had a room and a decent view. aggravated much on the first day ? ugh yeah

Pool: Never went in it once its small and dirty and with a beach like that who needs a pool

Food: Breakfast was always great , Lunch Sucked always!, dinner buffet was OK , sepcialty rest. are much better ! Room Service is very limited , and there are times in which there is no food available aside from 5 items on the rtoom sevrice menu this is when they transition from breakfast to lunch from lunch to dinner.
( right down the beach there is a man who will cook you fresh lobster on his grill for about 30.00 per person ) best meal there!

Beach: This is what made the trip amazing the beach is amazing the sunsets are epic and the water is still AND BATH WARM ( beach peddlers are annoying but a simple no thank you and they are on there way , the beach & sunsets made this vacation without that this place is a dump !

Location: amazing ! but next time def staying on 7 mile beach instead

Service : Service was good always with a smile and always on time.

Room: always cleaned daily & some nights had turn down service , fridge always restocked , a.c. worked good , flat screen t.v. , Alarm clocks were always going off and time was always wrong.

* note * bring bug spray : the mosquitos are ridiculous especially at the beach at night i have 36 bites to be exact lol !

*note * Bring floats, snorkles , and lots of SPF they dont provide this and they can be bought but its very exspensive in the shops on the resort

Jacuzzi: is part of the pool and is NOT HOT !

This resort is not a typical RIU let alone a RIU PALACE , I LOVE JAMAICA this is my 5th trip to the island however i will not be going back to the resort EVER ! BUT i will def return to NEGRIL !

Not worth the money you can stay else where for less money and eat real JAMAICAN FOOD

** JAMAICA ESPECIALLY NEGRIL is SAFE !! *** Go out and see the island do not stay on the resort , go to the other beaches, eat in town , walk around and have fun , talk to people and enjoy the real jamaica !!!

Ricks Cafe : This is a must ! Cliff Diving is amazing me and my bf both did it ! Def worth it ! it is scary but its a great experience !

Mayfield Falls: 1.5 miles of trekking through the river/falls this is quite a drive from the resort but well worth it amazing time & experience !

Jungle Night club: It is HUGE ! and nice but too commercial is you as me

American Pie Night club: This is a real Local Party ! def a great time wayyy better than JUNGLE

I Love JAMAICA always have & always will ! but the resort SUCKED ! Spend your $$$ elsewhere =) you wont regret it !! yeah mon !!!! 1 love <3

Room Tip: No oceanview is an ocenaview!!! do not be fooled ! if its not a honeymoon /jacuzzi suite every roo...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
12 Thank BklynluvJa
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 May 2012

I know this was a long time ago April 2010 but thought I should do a review (Note- I didn't travel June 2011 but this was the oldest one I could choose since April 10 wasn't an option)- it was my first All Incl hol & our honeymoon so maybe I'm biased but we thought it was fantastic! Would definately stay at a Riu again, Jamaicans very cheerful although couldn't help thinking they preferred Americans probably coz they tip everything! Couldn't fault room, hotel, food etc and even had Champagne breakfast every morn! If you like your food you'll love this for choice & variety. If I wanted to be picky (which I don't) they didn't fix our optic in our room and refill one of the bottles but this didn't matter as you could have anything you wanted at the pool, bar, restaurant etc and take it to your room. Never done a review before so hope this has helped.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa5544
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 16 May 2012

We had a terrific stay at Riu Palace and the staff was wonderful. We conacted the resort by email and Elaine at the front desk took great care of us! She arranged a taxi ride to and from the resort that met us at the airport. Jackson was a great taxi driver and person! Very safe. You can also take a bus from the airport and back that is cheaper. Taxis are $100 each way for up to four people and the bus is $25 each way per person. We loved getting recommendations from Jackson (that's his last name) and that made our stay so much more enjoyable.

Food at the resort is OK. But it's hot and there's plenty of it. People traveling Gluten-free will find plenty of food to choose from and the chefs are very helpful. The restaurants that you had to reserve were better. The website doesn't say this, but men need to bring a pair of pants in order to enter two of the reserved restaurants. Sleeved shirts are mentioned on the website, but nothing about pants.

We took the snorkeling excursion that the hotel offered and it was a superb time! Swimming the reefs and seeing such beautiful fish, sea cucumbers, sea stars, cannons, etc. was incredible. We definately recommend it!

Anyone who isn't a 20 something who wants to jump off a cliff and drink yourself silly will probably not find Rick's worth going to. We went with a shopping and Rick's tour and hired a taxi to take us back early because it was hot, sunny and it took over an hour to get our order taken at the restaurant. If you do go to Ricks wear a bathing suit because you'll be going at sunset and the sun is brutal there. You may just want to get wet and then order a lot of drinks so that you're not waiting for a waitress. :)

The zipline tour (booked at the hotel) and river tubing package was awesome! We loved getting to explore the jungle, the turquoise colored, limestone river and waterfall. The tour guides were very easy to get along with and made lots of jokes. We had a great time!

I hope that this review helps others. We LOVED the resort. It was clean, well maintained, beautiful (the pictures online do NOT do it justice), relaxing, entertaining and beyond expectations! We visited some of the other resorts in the area as the tours picked up people and they were not nearly as nice. The Grand Paladium was in poor shape, not a nice beach and so large that you needed a golf cart to get from your room to the lobby. This resort was heaven and we will definately recdommend it to everyone.

Room Tip: Ocean view is better than ocean front because the sun doesn't shine directly into the windows of...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank M W
Georgetown, Kentucky
Reviewed 14 May 2012

I am just going to throw some stuff out not in order.

Front desk people were great. The internet went out with 3 days left. You only can get wireless internet in the lobby bar area. They said someone was on the way to fix it and 3 days later nothing. Not their fault.

Rooms. We had a lower Ocean view 1007 right in front of the scuba craribe place. Noisy in the morning from them talking but we were up at 8-8:30 so no issues. We did have 2 twin beds butted up to each other. We also had issues with hand towels and wash clothes. I always just went back out the door and asked the maids for some and we got them. I think they are short on the because they never had any on their carts.Rooms were always cleaned when we got back from the beach and we always had turn down service when we came back from dinner, show and drinks.

Food. Dinner buffet always had the same favs and a new ones to add each night. They had a theme night at the buffet each night. When you find a good waiter stick with them and sit in the same area each night and they will get to know what you want and how much and when then you never have to ask. Food was good could of been hotter for something’s. They had grilled Lobster tails the last night we were there which was a Friday night. Didn't lack any cheese has so much. Jerk shack is a must for lunch. Right there on the beach. Don't get there to late it goes quick. It's from 12-3. We ate at the Krystals it was ok. Got the Lamb and it was tough and my wife got the Beef with Mushroom sauce and she said it was great. We also did the Italian and it was better then what the menu says. Starters you get a cold and a hot bar. You go to the back where the hot bar is and they had an awesome spread. I rather have eaten the hot bar than anything else. If you have a chance do the Italian.

Pool. Went there one day so we can relax in the shade and not to deal with Vendors from the beach. You can find chairs anytime of the day with and Umbrella. One pool was murky because it was the pool everyone used so it has sun block in it that's what gives it the murky and the other pool is for volleyball. Never seen anyone playing so I just don't know why they just didn't take down the net. The one day we were the the waitress service was lacking. Out of all the places I have been for service for drinks this is maybe the worst one. We been to Cancun 4 times. DRx2, PVx2. We stayed at the RIU in Cancun and this one in Negril can't touch that one by a mile. I recommend you bring a big thermos cup and they will fill it with ever you wanted that's the way to go.

Beach. One of the best beaches. Had plenty of shade trees. Crystal blue water and clean. We walked down to the other RIU and their beach was dirty and not so nicely laid out as the Palace. The other RIU had bigger pools to but MANY kids. This RIU had some but not many and not party annoying kids. The first few days no service on the beach and then the last 3 they would hound us if we wanted a drink which was great. No shells on the beach and clean. Good tip, come out around 5 and get in the ocean and that's when all the Star fish come out of the sand and you can pick up hundreds of them. Most are small and no bigger than your hand. You can get snorkel equip. from Scuba Caribe place for a $25 deposit. It's worth it if they haven't rented them all out. On a good sunny day you can see everything underwater for 100 yards. We seen many fish just swimming around and they are more afraid of you then you are of them so no worries. We seen some stingrays also not to big but on the first day we seen one the size of a small car. That was cool but like I said they won't hurt you. The worst part of the beach is the Vendors. They sell everything from Purses, Smokes, Weed, dresses, Etc. They stay close to the water because they can't come any closer. We were told that every beach in Negril is not a private beach. There are security guards on the beach and they never do anything it's because every beach in Negril is Public but they can't come up to you or they can get arrested. Just wave your hand and say no thanks.

Overall, if you’re looking for a good place to stay it's here. Good people good Price. Is searched for months before I decided here. I was happy with my choice in the end. We always regret not staying at a RIU after we stay at other places.

OhYea, Bring a float for the beach no waves just from the jet skies. Get the ones with all the bubbles in it and not the tube ones.. Easy to roll up and more comofortable. People were asking for our floats all week. They liked ours better then theirs. Now book your trip and stop looking!!!

Room Tip: Spa Was way over prices never tried it.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple