“A Piece of Paradise!”

The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 16 December 2012

We just spent a glorious week in Jamaica at The Spa Retreat Resort in Negril. Arriving at this newly constructed resort, with traditional cut stone walls, we knew we had landed at a small piece of paradise. We have travelled every winter over the last 12 years and would have to say this was THE BEST RESORT FOR A RELAXING HOLIDAY. The level of service from staff at The Spa Retreat Resort was incredible from friendly greetings to observant staff providing every need. The restaurant food was fabulous (lobster tail, seafood pasta, Jerk Chicken Wrap, fresh salads and fruit). We didn’t even want to venture away from the peace and comfort of the resort. We snorkeled in the coral reef directly off the property’s frontage – no need to take a catamaran tour! Seaside massages topped off the visit! There’s no doubt we will plan to return to this gem in Negril. If you are looking for a truly relaxing and rejuvenating experience, this is the place - Canadian owned and operated. We loved meeting Shane and all of the staff and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend it to anyone planning on heading south to the Caribbean. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE AT SPA RETREAT NEGRIL FOR THIS AMAZING WEEK!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank The3blancos
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 December 2012

Thank you for your review. We are honored for you to have considered The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel the "best resort for a relaxing holiday"! We must agree our SPA therapists are superb. So glad you enjoyed the majority of your meals with us and as always thank you for your valued feedback. Until next time, one love.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel

Reviewed 29 November 2012

This review is going to be difficult to write because I want to keep this place all to myself! Also, I don't really know where to start. I will begin with the people who work here because they really make the resort what it is. Everyone is very warm, welcoming and helpful. It feels like home when you are there and when you leave you just want to go back. From the moment Jackson welcomed me to the moment I had to leave it truly felt like I was "home".
The highlight of my "almost" three weeks stay was to attend a week-long yoga retreat. The most wonderful part of it was meeting all the amazing participants. The instructor was awesome and renewed my interest in yoga. I will never forget the experience and hope to see all of them again next year!
The retreat is away from the busyness of the megaresorts on the 7 mile beach but close enough to go there any time you choose. I did a lot of walking and felt very safe. You just have to be careful of the traffic as the roads are very narrow. The beautiful setting on the cliffs overlooking the ocean is so peaceful and relaxing it is hard to leave the resort. Watching the sunsets was a daily ritual while sipping on a cold Red Stripe or a delicious mojito prepared by Dwayne or Tyrone, either at the oceanfront bar or sitting by the salt water pool looking out over the ocean. The ocean was a little rough when I was there but I did manage to go in one day with the help of Christine, Rocky and Sue. I am sure the snorkelling would be great on calmer days. The rooms all face the ocean. I stayed in a ground floor garden room and could still see the ocean from my patio. The seaside rooms offer a wonderful oceanfront location if you prefer and unrestricted view of the ocean. The rooms are lovely and big with a good-size bathroom. I preferred to use the overhead fan for cooling rather than the AC. The rooms are kept immaculately clean by Kadene and her housekeeping team. Since there are no phones in the rooms they provide you with a cell phone.
If you want to go on any excursions or tours Heather will be happy to arrange them. She is always available to answer any questions or help solve any problem you might have.
What can I say about Daneisha and her spa team - they're awesome! They provide top-notch, professional services. And Peter, the reflexologist is amazing. Best to have it done in the evening watching the stars. Soooo relaxing.
Chef Kevin, one of the best, if not the best chefs in Jamaica, and his team create delicious, healthy, beautiful food in the Blue Mahoe Restaurant. Starting with breakfast - eggs benedict, omelettes, wraps and Jamaican breakfast - to lunch - to dinner. From the appetizers to dessert there is something for every taste - mozzarella and tomatoes, coconut shrimp, bruschetta, the curried goat, jerk dishes, lobster and seafood, fresh fish, tender juicy steak. Oh yes, and the desserts - coconut cream pic, mango creme brulee, chocolate. Yum! I must mention that if there is anything you want all you have to do is ask.
I have to acknowledge the groundskeepers - they have created and are tirelessly maintaining a beautiful environment even with the sometimes unpredictable weather.
I want to mention everyone by name because they are all so awesome but I might forget someone. I want you to know that you are all special to me. I will see you again.
Thank you Christine and Shane for creating this wonderful little paradise.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
8  Thank slynnnalberta

Thank you for your wonderful review, we very much appreciate your kind words. It is our deepest desire to create a "home away from home" for all of our guests and we are pleased to know that we achieved this for you! We look forward to welcoming you back for the 2013 Yoga Wellness Retreat! One love.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

This is a new Canadian owned property with the owners as hosts. There is a cordial friendly atmosphere with a well trained Jamaican staff. All the rooms face the sea although the garden rooms have a restricted view. The 2nd floor rooftop rooms see the wonderful sunsets. There are 7 lovely cottage rooms poolside and along the cliffs and 1 rooftop suite with a private secluded balcony. The spa offers open air treatments and appointments are easy to book.
The restaurant, Blue Mahoe, is getting a splendid reputation which is deserves. Chef Kevin is island renowned. The prepared food is delicious but we were very disappointed with the included continental breakfast and chose instead the a la carte meals.
This boutique hotel has a small footprint and so everything is easy to access. Curvaceous stone walls and paths add much to the beauty of the place.
The pool is sea-side and there is a ladder into the sea for snorkeling.
Night life and beaches are close-by.

Room Tip: The cottage rooms are further from the street, quieter and have the best views
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Derek T

Thank you for taking the time to review The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed our friendly staff and the ambiance of our hand cut stonework. We apologize if you did not enjoy our complimentary assortment of freshly baked muffins, cereal, fruit, juices and Blue Mountain Coffee. We always welcome feedback and suggestions that we can pass on to our team to continually improve. Thank you & we look forward to your return one day. One love!

Reviewed 24 November 2012

I cannot say enough wonderful things about this place and the people that own it and work there! What a WONDERFUL experience from start to finish! I traveled alone, so safety was a top priority. This place is VERY safe for solo women travelers, as there is always a guard at the gate (thank you Mr. Jackson!) and they give you a local cell phone with all the staff numbers day 1. The staff and owners (Shane and Christine) were so friendly and always available to chat, teach you about the island and culture and help you enjoy your stay. The property is simply gorgeous and the rooms are beautiful. It was exactly what I was looking for, top to bottom. There is no doubt I WILL go back. Simply fantastic. I can't wait to see all my Jamaican friends again! Miss you all, the mojitos, and the sound of the waves already!

Room Tip: All rooms are very close to the water with sea views
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for your review! On behalf of Christine, Shane, Mr. Jackson and I (along with our entire SPA team!) it was an absolute pleasure having you as our guest. We are humbled by your kind words and look forward to enjoying some well deserved seaside “mojito time” with you again! One Love.

Reviewed 22 November 2012

The yoga spa vacation with my daughter was amazing. I felt so nourished and energized. The staff were friendly, courteous and helpful. Service was very good. The restaurant is open all day and executive chef and his staff - waiters were very excellent. Such an important part of any holiday. Pool service with food and drinks was also available. Sunsets are spectacular.
The boutique hotel was very well planned in that all spa treatments were in the open with privacy. Spa therapists were the best! Highly recommend their service.

Room Tip: All rooms are great because they are close to the sea - no elevators. I love the boutique thatched r...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Thank You for taking the time to review our Yoga & Wellness Retreat this November! Our customer service team is thrilled you left “nourished and energized” from the experience. On a more personal note, it was my absolute pleasure to be able to partake in the daily yoga & meditation classes with you all and enjoy the most wonderful group of people. Namaste and One Love.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
4.0 km away
Catcha Falling Star
#5 of 80 in Negril
57.6 km away
Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island

Been to The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK