“Perfect romantic resort”

The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We loved this hotel. We just returned from Jamaica today & I wanted to write a review while this wonderful property was still fresh in my mind!

Heather at the front desk was amazing. She was extremely helpful with everything. All the staff at the SPA are great. They are warm, welcoming, friendly and knowledgable. We have stayed at many hotels over the years and have never encountered such a great and caring staff.

The hotel is beautiful and peaceful just like the pictures. I would recommend going during the off season. We felt like we had the place to ourselves.

The SPA must still be under construction but they are still able to do spa services. We each had 2 massages while we were there. Normally at destination resorts you get a mediocure spa service for a high price...that was not the case here. The massage therapist aw excellent with a firm touch!! And our services was outside in a cabana by the cliffs.

The cliffs by the way are low down close to the ocean so you can jump off to snorkel or swim with no problem. At first we were a little concerned about being away from the beach but it was even better being by the cliffs as we didn't have to deal with the beach crowds & craziness...yet we were close enough to go to the beach & walk up & down the 7 mile beach making a day of it. We walked the whole thing over 2 days.

The views are amazing! The sunset is gorgeous. The rooms are comfortable & clean.
Keepin mind the cottages closer to the water have queen beds and not all the rooms have tvs...so if your a tv person just request one. I am a tv person so I was happy to have one in the room.

One more thing...it was our anniversary so they gave us a bottle of champagne and put rose petals all over the room and bed! Very romantic!

Loved it. We will return!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great with good views....just keep in mind the queen sized beds & tvs in certa...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Amanda M
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Thank you for your review! We are so glad you both enjoyed your time at The SPA Retreat and truly appreciate the kind words of our highly valued staff. As one of the 1st resorts along the Cliffs we are close in proximity to both downtown and the beach “without the crowds and craziness” as you say, and we’re so glad you got to experience all of wonderful Negril. We look forward to your return! One Love

Reviewed 3 June 2012

Seriously, this is the most amazing place I have ever been. I chose this hotel based on the reviews on tripadvisor and I could not be more thankful to all of you for guiding me in the perfect direction! I had never been to Jamaica before but was looking for a boutique hotel that offered the safety of an all inclusive (as I would be traveling part of my vacation alone and wasnt sure I would want to leave the hotel grounds) but the intimacy of a family establishment and offered a full service spa. As many have said, I was hesitant that the TA reviews must be exagerrated or fabricated because it seemed impossible that a place this perfect could exist.

I am here to tell you that it was everything that all of the other reviewers have said and more. It is hard to put in words the complete and total experience of peace and tranquility that is The Spa Retreat. I believe myself to be a rather critical traveler....I work hard and want to feel that I am spending my money for an experience that is second to none. The Spa Retreat is second to none. It has the safety of a large all-inclusive (there are men guarding the front gate and night security always walking the grounds), the personalized attention and service of a 5star/elite establishment, and the intimacy of the quaint mom and pop villas I have stayed at in on the cliffs in Capri. Oh, and I havent even mentioned the phenomenal food.

I stayed at The Spa Retreat for a much needed week away from the world at the beginning of May/12. A great friend was able to escape her husband and children and join me for half of the week and I stayed the rest of the time by myself. Everything was perfect. I felt completely relaxed and totally pampered. The staff and owners were exceptional. As it was low season (and I'm fairly certain this resort remains the best kept secret in Jamaica), there were days when I was one of only a handful of guests. However, I could not have asked for a more perfect experience.... I believe that I received the individualized attention and much needed tranquility that would still exist were the retreat at full capacity (I believe full capacity is only 36 guests?).

During my week, I had three massages over looking the most amazing view. I get massages about twice a month back home (because I have a bad back) and have to say these were also second to none. Excellent and personalized. Everyone on staff knows you by name and treats you like an old friend. On my last day there, I was having some back pain (which is very typical for me) and the owner, Christine must have heard about this and sent the massage therapist to my cottage to rub tiger balm on my back and then picked me up some analgesics when she went to town. This is not your ordinary hotel. That day, I think every staff member (from my server, Sheryl to my housekeeper, Kadeen, to my bartender Joel) all asked me how I was feeling.

I should also mention that during my stay, there were two young women staying at the retreat who were employees of the The Spa Day Retreat in Ontario. As I was vacationing alone for part of my stay, we became fast friends and they extended their kindness and generosity in the most sincere manner. Along with Shane and Christine (the owners), we spent long, lazy hours on the beach having drinks and calamari, talking and laughing and enjoying the sunset. The kindness and sincerity that Tanya and Jen shared with me is a perfect display of the overall impression that this company exudes...it was perfect.

In order to capture the essence of The Spa Retreat, I will share one final perfect moment. As I was still sloughing off the stress from back home, I was having some difficulty with sleep my first few nights in Jamaica. This was completely resolved when Peter, a beautiful and wise older Rastafari gentleman on staff at The Spa Retreat, offered reflexogy on my veranda before bed. I layed on the lounge chair on the veranda of my cottage and Peter performed reflexogy and the best foot massage I've ever had for what seemed like hours. I was all by myself, looking out at the most magnificent view of the ocean while this peace-filled gentleman compassionately soothed my stress away. When he finished, I stumbled into my room and slept like a baby.

It is my greatest wish to return to The Spa Retreat every year and I strongly encourage you to do the same. Although it would be the perfect spot for a couple, it was also perfect for a girl's spa trip, and even more perfect for someone traveling alone and trying to escape the stress of the real world without feeling lonely.

Room Tip: This is a small resort so all rooms are equally great. If you prefer to be a bit further from the r...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
9  Thank Anna L
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2012

Thank you for your great review! We are thrilled you spent your first visit to beautiful Jamaica with us; enjoying SPA treatments, dining in our Blue Mahoe Restaurant, lounging by the pool and meeting new friends! As you’ve travelled the world, we are humbled by your lovely review of The SPA Retreat and our staff. We can’t wait to have you as a return guest next year. One Love.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

This resort is top notch for peace and quiet, romance, and luxury. The staff are extremely friendly and always ready to help. Whether it's Heather at the front desk, Wayne at the bar, or Kevin the chef, the people here are just super nice.
We stayed in a seaside cottage which was just perfect. Although the bed was a little small, it was not a problem. There was a TV, which we used for music only, A/C which made for comfortable sleeping, and they give you a cell phone to use as needed. A mini-fridge stocked with bottled water too. In terms of accommodations, it was top notch.
The pool area was very nice, although the pool is saltwater. Not a terrible thing, but considering the ocean is right there, it may have been nice to have a fresh water to swim in. The Blue Mahoe Restaurant, on the premises, was alright. Food not quite as authentic as we would have liked, but the setting cannot be beat. Breakfast seaside every morning was a true pleasure.
There is not much one could say negative about this place and I really don't want to discourage anyone. If you can, stay here for sure. The only reason I rated it "Very Good" instead of "Excellent" was the following:
1) The music that is played for all to listen to was a bit too contemporary and not as relaxing as it could be. Rather than Top 100, they should play New Age, soothing, Buddah Bar-type music. Much more relaxing in this kind of a setting.
2) The restaurant was okay, but we found some local places where the food was better and less expensive.
3) We had some plumbing issues in our bathroom. Shower pressure was VERY low. We had asked it be fixed, which the tried to do, but didn't really help. In addition, the toilet took forever to re-fill, probably because of the low water pressure in the unit. None of this is a big deal, but when you're paying top dollar to stay somewhere, I guess you could hope for perfection.
4) A fresh water pool would be nice and maybe a larger bed. Again, neither of these are big deals and would never stop me from staying there again.

Room Tip: It seems for a bit more privacy, the higher numbered seaside cottages are better.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Zuluman69

Thank you for your review! We are so glad you both enjoyed your time at The SPA Retreat and truly appreciate the feedback you’ve given, as well as the kind words of our highly valued staff. We look forward to your return! One Love

Reviewed 8 May 2012

By far the most amazing place I have ever stayed. My boyfriend and I were so relaxed the whole stay and were able to enjoy eachothers company. We did not have to worry about anything else for a change. Every single staff at the resort was so welcoming and delivered outstanding service in every way. As soon as we left our rooms each day, the cleaning staff were there to make sure it was immaculate by the time we got back. The bartenders were always at the bar ready to make whatever drink you felt like, whether it was on the menu or not. The office managers were there for anything you needed at the resort, and offered assistance in planning any day trips you wanted to take. The Spa has their own taxi's that they call for their clients which was a huge relief. The owner of the resort was always around assuring that everything was running smoothly and making sure our time at The Spa was everything we had hoped for, which it was. Any time we stepped off the resort, we wished we were right back there because of the amazing atmosphere. The Blue Mahoe (the Retreat Restaurant) was outstanding. We were quick to realize that it was most definitely the best restaurant around. The kitchen staff were so much fun and always made sure your food was prepared the exact way you wanted it. Every morning I looked forward to the delicious muffins and the fresh cut fruit. The ocean was also one of the best things about the retreat. You get to wake up to the ocean view every morning and go to sleep with the sounds of the ocean every night. Everything was truely incredible and I would recommend this resort to anyone.You will not be disappointed. I was fortunate enough to spend a whole week at this paradise, and every day since I've been back home I keep wishing and hoping that I will find my way there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank madison h
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Thank you for reviewing The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are so pleased that you enjoyed your experience and look forward to having you as a guest of "Negril's Newest Gem" again one day! One love.

Reviewed 1 May 2012

My husband and I just celebrated our 10 year anniversary at the SPA Retreat in Negril. We had the best experience - everything about this place is wonderful. The service, the food, the view, the drinks, the atmosphere. From the moment we walked in, Heather ensured a perfect stay and remained a friendly presence throughout our visit. We loved our bartenders, Joel and Wayne. Rosa, the staff dog, is a sweet girl. She likes to dive in with you into the ocean and protect you while you are swimming! We enjoyed talking with Shane and Christine about how they planned for this resort, and what their vision is for it. This place is close to perfect now and will only get better. We have stayed in many resorts throughout the Caribbean from St. Barths to Grand Cayman and this is one of the best around.

Room Tip: There is no fitness center on site but I couldn't find an "n/a" button for it on TripA...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
15  Thank ondaroad-atl
TanyaFarl, Public Relations Manager at The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2012

Thank you for choosing to review The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel! We are honoured that you have considered us as the "Best Resort in Negril"! On behalf of Heather, Joel, Wayne, Rosa & the entire team, it was a pleasure to have you as our guests and we look forward to your return upon your next trip to the West End Cliffs of Negril, Jamaica! One love.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
4 km away
2.6 km away
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#5 of 80 in Negril

Been to The SPA Retreat Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK