“Completely disagree with you Solo!”

and 1 more site!
Whistling Bird Resort
Ranked #39 of 81 Hotels in Negril
jmcm13
“Completely disagree with you Solo!”
Reviewed 30 June 2012

Solo, you can't be more wrong, and I find it disappointing that you travel to a third world country and expect to be treated like Paris Hilton. Jamaica is not like the U.S. and the culture is completely different. I would suggest reading up on the culture of Jamaicans, as many things can be interpreted incorrectly. I too, stayed at the Whistling Bird for a whole 3 months as a single female.
The employees of the Resort can be very protective of their guests, especially if you let them know you are uncomfortable. The staff treat repeat customers and the like just as though you are part of a big family. But they also give space to those who are looking for relaxation or romantic time. I wouldn't misinterpret their lack of involvement- as many people come there to relax and get away from the hustle and bustle. This is the only resort on the 7 mile beach that stays true to it's Jamaican roots. All the vegetables served in the restaurant are grown in their garden. This resort is one of the original resorts of the 7 mile beach, so they know exactly where to get the best quality food, who to trust for taxi services, snorkeling, boat rides, and transportation to the waterfalls. If you go anywhere else, you may pay less, but I guarantee you will take a chance being given an incorrect amount of change for your US dollar and recommendations for taxi services can be dangerous. That happened to me several times whenever I explored other restaurants and resorts. I even went by an "American" resort and was shocked that their showers were made of white, broken concrete. The rooms were tiny. The Whistling Bird is truly unique in design and decor. The bugs you speak of are minor. This is a tropical island. You are lucky you didn't travel elsewhere with tarantulas, snakes, and scorpions. Sugar ants, small lizards and bug mites (on the beach at dawn/dusk) are the only little creatures you will come across. I suggest wearing pants in the early mornings and washing your feet at night after walking on the beach.

The bathrooms are gorgeous at the Whistling Bird and have wooden shutters. Some back home would not be comfortable with that, but at this resort, it is completely isolated and protected by trees. There would be no one to look through them and that behavior wouldn't be tolerated anyway. The staff are respectable people who feel honored to work for the Bird. I thought it made for a very romantic and exotic atmosphere.

The sheets that are left out to dry is simply for efficiency. They do use dryers, however, the electricity in Jamaica performs at such a low frequency, it takes a very long time to get things dry. Same goes with the water pressure. It is a little less powerful than what you find in the states, but I never noticed it to be a problem. I've had more issues with Motel 8's than I did at the Bird. If you would like A/C, ask for it. They have units with A/C. As for the food, you can almost order anything you like because they shop specifically for what you need. That said, a lot of items are pretty impossible to find in the city, due to the low electricity frequency and therefore refrigeration issues. Cheese, beef and chocolate are a few examples; lobster is sold according to whether a fisherman has caught any that day. Like I said, its not the U.S. where you can go buy anything you want. You will find more variety in the fall and winter seasons at the peak of tourist season. I was always impressed with the red snapper, which is decadent! They always have snapper, fresh exotic fruits, gourmet coffee and homegrown vegetables.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled on business
9 Thank jmcm13
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Novi, Michigan
Reviewed 19 May 2012

First trip to Negril. The staff at the WB are somewhat nice. But, they are busy with work and when their not busy with work they were not trying to serve you. The bar was the reception desk. So, if your sitting at the bar staff should ask you if you need anything like lunch or a drink. I saw the owners on grounds during my entire stay. Why didn't they ask me if I was enjoying my stay at the WB or if I needed anything? Thats what I would do if I wanted to run a successful business! I really don't think they care.
The shower room is beautiful and spacious. However, water pressure was low, hot water was sporadic and sometimes the water stop coming out completely. Also, people could see me nude in the shower because there was not a curtain covering the window. I had night time guests (Newts, Red Ants, Black Ants and Mosquitos). If the owners are living on grounds who do you think has the best room. I bet they have a vanity curtain, AC and TV. The safe box didn't work.
I stayed five nights at the WB so all drinks and food were put on a weekly grid or tab system that the WB made up. So, I had know idea what they charged me for drinks or what I was spending during my stay. I received one bill at the end of my stay. I like to keep copious notes of my daily spending. Food was good. However, the menu was limited and meals were redundant.
The WB is not a resort or luxurious. My critique is based solely on the WB and not on Negril beach or the Jamaicans. I would not recommend the WB to couples or families. Only, to those who are on a tight budget. The grounds is like a botanical garden---nice! But, they dried linens on clothes lines on the grounds---ghetto! The location on the beach is fantastic. But, if I were you I would give the WB a pass. Try the Charela($$$), Rockhouse($$$), Kuyaba($$$) or Rondel Village($$).

Skip it!

Room Tip: Book your stay directly through the owner and not a third party(i.e expedia).
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank rct1973
Champlain, New York
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I did not stay at this hotel, but did check it out. The rooms are roomy. It location on the beach is right about the middle of the seven mile beach. It is set back from beach a bit and is serounded by trees and gardens. The resturant is closer to the water ,and under the trees.We ate there at lease four days durning our stay in Negril. One egg, one toast, and one cup of coffee for $4.00. We had scramble eggs each day, they were very fluffy and homemade toast. Great breakfast for the value. I will eat there on my next visit too. Maybe check in there to stay too!

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank JamaicaSueNy_
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 10 February 2012

My boyfriend and I would escape our gross hotel to dine in the beautiful ambiance of this one. We ate at the whistling bird restaurant four or five times during our week long stay in Negril and wished we had also booked a room here. The garden is amazing and they dont have a public washroom for restaurant guests so allowed us to venture in to a vacant cabin. It was gorgeous! And a mile higher than the place we stayed at (see my other reviews please). We each had chicken dishes during our restaurant visits. My ultimate favourite was the coconut chicken, your mouth will explode in happiness. The chef even came out to accept our thanks and blushed non stop from the praise. The best part was the beautiful ladies who were serving us. They were always smiling, always kind and made us feel right at home with their loving natures.

If we ever return to Negril, I hope we stay here and I hope those ladies are still there!!! Great place, even if you just want to relax and have a beer while sitting amongst a beautiful sanctuary of greenery. It definitely helps you escape the crowds of the beaches and feel more at peace. Kudos to the owner for running such a great operation and for keeping such wonderful staff.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank clk7
Fond du Lac, Wisconsin
Reviewed 29 January 2012

On the evening of 1/16/12 , my girlfriend and I had dinner at the Whistling Bird. We both ordered the coconut shrimp which was the special that day. I aso ordered the pumpkin soup and a Red Stripe. My girlfriend had a non-alcohol Pina Colada. Everything was very good, but I was surprised to be billed $84.15. The website menu [ referenced later] lists the coconut shrimp at $21.00, which I would consider reasonable.

I felt that I was taken advantage of.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple