“Negril Yoga Noise Box”

San Francisco, California
“Negril Yoga Noise Box”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Noise, noise, noise!
I am quite surprised by the numerous positive reviews that I have seen posted here. I have traveled extensively around the world for many years and this was one of the worst places I've ever stayed. The noise alone makes the place a disaster. Most of the walls of the rooms are paper thin and made of wood. Because of this, the substantial noise coming from the busy road outside can be heard from every room on the grounds at all hours of the day. Additionally, most of the time late in the evening there is super loud music blaring away from nearby establishments, oftentimes until 3:00 AM!
I would strongly advise you to stay away from the Negril yoga center and seek accommodation at one of the many hotels across the street at essentially the same price, right on the beach. That’s what I did after staying at the yoga center for couple of miserable days; I moved to a hotel and really enjoyed my time in Jamaica.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
14 Thank Patrick D
NegrilYoga, Owner at Negril Yoga Centre, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Greetings Traveler, Negril Yoga Center has been operating for 30+ years in the heart of the hustle and bustle of Negril, Jamaica. Our guests thrive on the “Jamaican Culture” which is a laid back, no worries attitude and music is a very large expression of our cultural for those who live here. Perhaps during your stay there was a cultural festival of some sort that may have escalated the music. Rest assure there are quite times in Negril that are not to be missed. Our property was built to maintain the environment and existing surroundings. We consider ourselves to be eco-friendly and unfortunately we do not have the luxury accommodations other properties have to offer. Negril Yoga Center supports a minimalist retreat where simplicity and comfort abounds. We hope that you enjoyed all Jamaica has to offer and we do hope you visit our beautiful country again soon!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I loved the atmosphere of this place. Very pretty with lots of nice plants in the compound. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, with a special mention to Sicine who was the receptionist. There was yoga in the morning which for me was an added bonus. It's also close to Negril town, about a 5 minute walk and the beach was just across the street. I picked a room with just a fan, no AC, as I was on a bit of a budget, and was initially a little worried about the possible heat inslde, but it turns out the nights were cool in this month of April and was glad that a thick bed cover was also available apart from the top sheet. The shared bathroom was very clean and well maintained. This accommodation is a really good value for your money in Negril and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank joastillero
Thank you for the kind words…we are very proud of our “little oasis” and we appreciate you as our guest. Looking forward to seeing you again on your next visit to beautiful Negril.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

I go to Jamaica every four months. It is a deeply spiritual place that fills me up deeply every time i return. For the last several trips, i have stayed at the Negril Yoga Centre, and i will never stay at any other hotel again. If i couldn't stay there, then i would probably go visit another island - that's how central the experience at the Yoga Center is to my trips to Jamaica.

If you are looking for a real Negril experience, if staying shut up in a resort doesn't sound much like international travel to you, and if you are visiting Jamaica to experience what makes this island special, then the Yoga Centre is your place.

Every time i've gone, the Yoga Centre becomes my villiage, my neighborhood - no matter the cast of characters who happen to be lodging there at the time. It is a real spiritual, soulful place where you instantly feel at home. The accomodations are not fancy, but they are beautiful, clean, and it feels like you're surrounded by your extended Jamaican family. The staff are amazing, kind and warm and super helpful. They leave you alone to spend your days and nights as you wish with whom you wish, but as soon as you need anything they are right there. I feel very, very safe with the level of security on site and overnight. The food is home-cooked and full of love. The rooms are simple, charming, clean, and perfectly adequate. You didn't come to Jamaica to watch tv, right?

Bring an alarm clock and, if you must, a laptop. They have fast wifi. I have never needed or wanted AC, so i think that's an easy way to save your money.

I use my "Jamaican uncle" Ashton Pitt for all my driving needs including airport transfers and excursions: 1-876-376-2174 (JA cell) artconcepent.tours@yahoo.com He picks me up and drops me off right at the gate of the Yoga Cenre.

This is a blessed place. Feel free to contact me with any questions.
OneLove,
Julia

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank JuliaOneLove93
NegrilYoga, Front Office Manager at Negril Yoga Centre, responded to this review, 21 May 2014
Hello Julia,
Thank you for your kind words. We are very proud to have you as our guest and staying with us time after time.

From all of us at The Negril Yoga Centre.
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We had originally planned to spend just three days in Negril at the Yoga Center and five days in Montego Bay. After spending landing in MoBay and spending one night there, we quickly revised our vacation to stay at the Yoga Center for the majority of our eight day trip. I'm an active yoga practitioner, but you don't need to like yoga at all to love this place. Beautiful grounds, spacious rooms, and excellent service. They only offer one class daily at 9:30 am - a very basic one hour Iyengar class. The studio space is left open the rest of the day so you can easily practice on your own. They have a full menu to order from (breakfast and lunch), and we tried the majority of what was offered. The food was above average, and the prices were exactly what you'd pay almost anywhere in the U.S. (I live in NYC) - suffice it to say, no savings there. The beach is located directly across the street, and the Center will loan you a beach towel. They also have daily maid service, which is a huge treat when staying at a guesthouse. The only downside for us was the complete lack of water pressure in the bathroom. Non-flushing toilets and just a very fine mist of water to shower in. After a day or two, you just get used to it. I recommend the Yoga Center for people traveling alone, friends, families, couples - everyone! Very safe environment (they have a security guard at night) and a community atmosphere.

Room Tip: Casa one and two are closer to the street so they're a bit noisy.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank PandasNotRobots
Hello Pandas,
Thank you for your review and for staying with us. We are happy to know you had a wonderful time.

From all of us at The Negril Yoga Centre.
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

Thank you Trip Advisor for posting beautiful photos of one of my favorite places on earth, the Negril Yoga Centre. When I can't get to visit Negril, I look at your photos and remember the most pleasant and tranquil times at the Yoga Centre, the yoga, the delicious food, the charm of the rooms, and the most friendly and caring staff. Negril Yoga Centre is truely a paradise on earth, whose essence stays with you long after you ride the plane back home.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank MelDavis04
NegrilYoga, Owner at Negril Yoga Centre, responded to this review, 23 March 2012
We at Negril Yoga Center appreciate you being our guest and we all look forward to your speedy return to Negril to visit us again!!