“Beautiful and sensual”

Ranked #4 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Toronto
“Beautiful and sensual”
Reviewed 7 June 2012

We recently spent a weekend getaway at this lovely small boutique resort on the recommendation of friends who go often. We were not disappointed. It is situated on the beautiful rock cliffs on the western most tip of Jamaica past the hotel strip of beach of Negril. Swimming from the rocks is easy and fun with easy access by ladders into and out of the water. Rooms are mostly very nice although our first night was in Pillars North, which we found to be small and crowded especially in the bathroom. We moved based on our reservation to Pine Pillars and found it big and wonderful with such a great view from the verandah that we hardly needed to leave the room except to swim and eat. Chose your room carefully.The food was good compared to much Caribbean food found on other islands. And there are many alternative eateries surrounding the resort. We found ourselves returning to the Pen's dining room for the view and because it was a lovely atmosphere. We had great massages at the Spa and enjoyed the wonderful sensual nature of this couples resort.

Room Tip: Avoid Pillars North for the size of the bathroom unless you are alone.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TorontoTradewinds
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (234)
  • Hebrew first
Beebe, Arkansas
Reviewed 4 June 2012

This is our third time at Tensing Pen Resort and each time we stay there it gets better & better!..The staff there is outstanding, my husband and I have made great friends at Tensing Pen and feel as if it is a home away from home...The food is made to perfection, we have never ate anything at the restaurant that was not delicious jamaican food...It's the most relaxing place, listening to the water splash against the cliffs, the view of the water from the cliffs seems never ending, and the beautiful sunsets....Tensing Pen Resort is an amazing place to stay.....Everyone at Tensing Pen has made our vacation more memorable just by sharing it with us, friendships we have made there that never will be forgotten!.....

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank canddduncan
Akron, Ohio, United States
Reviewed 3 June 2012

Stayed here for 1 night because we wanted to get away from the lackluster feeling that Sandals was providing. We booked a Pillars room and we loved it. Yes it is small but the view, the ocean breeze and the relaxing feel make up for it. The walk is close to the lobby area and also close to the pool and a jump in the water.

We didn't dine here but am looking forward to another trip in the future.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Leah N
San Diego, California
Reviewed 1 June 2012

We stayed at Tensing Pen over a year ago and I am still missing this place. We got engaged at this hotel and I hope to spend our next anniversary at Tensing. First, the rooms are amazing, food and service spectacular. We actually became great friends with some of the guests so the place attracts great people as well. We were only suppose to stay for 2 nights but loved the place so much that we cancelled our other hotel and stayed the rest of the time at Tensing Pen.

Tensing Pen is a must stay in Negril!

Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank johnsonstravel
Herndon, Virginia
Reviewed 1 June 2012

I never write reviews for places I’ve been to, especially places that I’ve stayed. Why? Few places are worth writing about. However, I can’t say enough good things about Tensing Pen in Jamaica—but I’ll try. My new husband Ryan and I chose Tensing Pen as the location where we would get married and stay on our honeymoon in Jamaica. After looking online for months, looking at reviews, and reviewing the pictures on their site www.tensingpen.com, http://www.negrilonestop.com/tensingpen_photos.shtml, and http://www.iamstyle-ish.com/2009/01/wedding-day-venue.html, we knew Tensing Pen was perfect for our small, intimate, beautiful wedding.
Once arriving at Tensing Pen we were greeted by cheerful staff and a cool special drink from the bar. Our room, Rock Cottage II, was absolutely charming, clean, and we were greeted with flowers arranged on the bed. We loved the cottages, the grounds, and the beauty of the resort. The grounds are nicely spread out and there are little alcoves for couples and groups to be alone at any time. We never felt crowded or overwhelmed. The views are unbelievable; but there are plenty of pictures so I’ll let you see that for yourself. I promise you won’t be disappointed if you choose Tensing Pen for the beauty.
The mosquitos: do your homework. I’ve seen reviews that are negative because of the mosquitos and it does not make sense to me. Jamaica is a tropical island. There are mosquitos. Bring mosquito repellant. I found that the best repellant is the 10 hr. insect repellant. I am one of those ‘lucky souls’ who mosquito’s love and adore. I can go outside and it is like the dinner bell rings, all the mosquitos from miles around fly to me saying, “yum, an all-you-can-eat buffet has just opened.” When I went to Hawaii I had more than 100 bites within my first week. This stuff works. I was nervous about how I would handle the mosquitos but I only had a few bites in Jamaica. Yes, you may get a few bites, but it won’t be nearly that bad. If you do get bitten, try the itch eraser: “afterbite.”
The surrounding area. Again, do your homework by looking at Jamaican etiquette, Jamaican culture, and the U.S. Department of State’s country information and background notes on Jamaica. Jamaica is not a rich country, but they usually live for and off the tourist trade. So the people are nice and usually want to sell or show you something.
The staff is wonderful, cheerful, and kind. You can really tell that they enjoy their jobs and they like the guests. Compared to the places in Montego Bay that we stayed at the first night, I couldn’t believe how much nicer and cheerful everyone was. Everyone, including the maid Ruth, made it a point to say hi, congratulations, and to talk with us. ‘Razor’ our bartender was funny and great to sit and chat with at any time of the day (not to miss mentioning his great bartending and mixing skills!). I even enjoyed a cup of coffee in the morning with Bruce, the night manager, who was informative and kind to talk to me when I couldn’t sleep anymore. One morning while I was confirming our transportation and adventures with the office staff, I watched as they helped two guests to reserve and coordinate jet skis to be brought to them at the hotel, so that the guests didn’t even need to walk or take a cab to 7 mile beach (not too far). Really, the staff here is wonderful.
The dogs are wonderful. Actually my family loves animals, so the dogs factored into our decision to go to Tensing Pen. All three are friendly and well behaved. While they do beg a little at meal times, they are wonderfully well behaved, and simply sit there with their happy smiles on their faces. I loved how Sugar came to our room, knocked on the door, entered, and then happily laid down on our floor to relax with us.
Our wedding was beautiful and perfect—exactly what we wanted. Our wedding coordinator, Shanique, took excellent care of us throughout the planning stages and during the wedding. The set up and event far exceeded my expectations. Shanique answered my questions and emails usually within about a day or two and she was always helpful. She was even nicer in person when we met prior to the rehearsal and discussed what Ryan and I wanted. She and the staff even rolled with it when my family decided I needed a particularly ugly topper on my wedding cake.
The staff was wonderful and the location was perfect. Really. I have no complaints. No problem man!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family