Charela Inn / Le Vendome
  • Pool
US$ 670
US$ 313
  • Breakfast included
Country Country Beach Cottages(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$ 180
US$ 126
Hedonism II(Negril)
US$ 899
  • Breakfast included
Pure Garden Resort(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$ 63
US$ 51
Priceline
US$ 81
US$ 55
US$ 315
US$ 297
Catcha Falling Star(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$ 184
Negril Yoga Centre(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$ 85
US$ 51
  • Beachfront
White Sands Negril(Negril)(Great Value!)
US$ 76
TripAdvisor
All reviewspalm treesjazz nightocean frontjunior suitenegril beachseven mile beachevery morningmile stretchall inclusive planrestaurant staffjamaican breakfastvisited negrilgarden roombeautiful beachprivate balconyshrimppineapple
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I settled on 4 stars as my rating because the beach at Charela is a 10, but the room was a 5, just average. I had requested a quiet room and at first it seemed like that's what we got, off the courtyard. However, it was right near what appeared to be the laundry and where the staff got their cleaning equipment. The staff were not loud per se, but you could hear them talking quite early in the morning. Then later in the day there was a god awful banging which I'm assuming was some type of machinery. The gardens were beautiful and well maintained. The pool had leaves in it the first couple of days and looked a little grungy, but then it got cleaned and was pristine. We only used it once because, let's face it, the star is the beach! Having walked most of 7 Mile Beach, I can say with complete confidence that Charela has the best beach. It's wide, so you're not on top of other people and there's plenty of shade from the trees if that's what you want.

The room at least needs repairs if updating isn't going to happen. The door into the room made a terrible racket when it was opened or closed. We asked that it be looked at, which it was - a very nice man came and sawed a bit off. He promised to come back the next morning to finish the job, but we never saw him and the door sounded even noisier. The door between the two rooms was just as bad. It was noisy too, we figured out you had to first push the door in then turn the knob to open it, but if you were unfortunate enough to be on the other side of it, good luck opening it without a good 5 minutes trying different maneuvers! The bathroom had broken floor tiles and looked tired, as did the whole room. But the towel service and maid service was great.

The restaurant was alright. The best thing I had was the chocolate cake - it was out of this world! We ate the majority of our meals off the property because we like to explore and there's so much choice available.

The staff ranged from taciturn in a few instances to very friendly. Everyone was helpful, it's just that some did it with a smile.

We saw the jazz/blues show on Saturday night and enjoyed the high calibre of the performers. We heard the band rehearsing for the Wednesday night show and they sounded very good, but we didn't go to the actual show.

So I would go back to Charela because of their beautiful beach, but the room left me a little disappointed. Also, be aware that the guests are on the "mature" side, which worked for us, but this is not a party hotel if that's what you're looking for.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank True B
Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

My husband and I arrived in Negril February 12th. As we approached Charela Inn, I noticed the old school charm, lots of wood and the grounds beautifully maintained. It was late so we decided to eat at the hotel restaurant, Le Vendome. I had curried shrimp, sweetie had roasted chicken. It was quite tasty and about $50.00 U.S. for 2.

The next day we had breakfast at Le Vendome, overlooking the sea. We met Francella and she was our lady the whole 2 weeks. The full breakfast was wonderful - you get a fruit platter usually consisting of papaya, banana and pineapple, then eggs any way, bacon ( very good and the only meat I tried other than chicken ), a basket of toast and a sweet thing such as coffee cake, banana bread or 3 days per week they bake croissants to die for, in all their buttery goodness.

Bacon and eggs alone was about $500 Jamaican or $5.00 CA. The full breakfast including coffee, juice and fruit about $1200JA.

Our room was charming, lots of wood, a 4 poster bed, two ceiling fans, newer AC and a wonderful little balcony facing the sea, to drink coffee and coconut Rum Cream in the morning. The bathroom had a hot tub which was a bonus.

The beach at Charela is in a perfect location right in the middle so you can walk for miles each way, which we did. Negril 7 Mile beach is very interesting and you can stop at many places for a drink or bite to eat. There are also many palm trees and coconut trees for shade and plenty of chairs. A big shout out to Reuben for setting up our chairs and telling us stories from Kingston.

I would also like to thank Merlyne in the massage shack for giving me the best deep tissue massage ( felt for days after ), and singing while she massaged me, the sweetest voice ever.

The ladies and gentlemen in the lobby were always friendly and helpful - thanks Shanique, Carolyn, Minnell and all of the wonderful staff.

The room was cleaned promptly every day with a smile. The location of our room was so perfect.

I could go on and on but I will end now and say if you want a cozy, clean, safe hotel with wonderful staff and the best location, Charela is the place to stay!

Stayed: February 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank wishfulinwinnipeg
levendome, Reservation at Charela Inn / Le Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded 7 March 2018

Dear Wishinfulinwinnipeg:

Thank you for vacationing at the Charela Inn. We appreciate you taking the time to post a review on your holiday experience here at Charela.

We are very happy to know that you had a wonderful vacation stay and everything was to your approval from the great food, beach location, the room decor and the quality of cleanliness by your housekeeper, the helpful and friendly staff and the overall atmosphere of Charela.

It was our pleasure in hosting you here with us. Wishing you all the best and do look forward to your future visits.

Reservation

Reviewed 3 March 2018

Enjoyed Saturday night meal on beach. Food delicious especially the caliloo and cheese souffle. We both ate shrimp pasta which was tasty and loaded with shrimp. Certainly a spot to return too. Palm trees and musicians make for a perfect evening.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled solo
levendome, Reservation at Charela Inn / Le Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded 4 March 2018

Thank you for dining with us and for taking the time to post a review on your experience.

We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our food from our restaurant "Le Vendome" especially the cheese & Calalloo souffle and the shrimp pasta. We pride ourselves on using natural and organic ingredients many of which that comes from our own farm. We're also happy to hear that the live entertainment provided and our palm trees made it a perfect evening for you!

It was our pleasure in hosting you and we do hope we will have you dine with us once again!

Reviewed 21 February 2018

We travel to Negril several times a year and have spent many, many evenings dining at Charela while listening to the live music. On 2/17/18 we made a reservation for a table on the patio for a party of 6. We arrived 10 minutes early for our reservation at 7:30 pm only to find that they had seated another party at our table. We were told that there were no other outside tables available. My husband was not happy with the situation. I politely pointed out that there were 3 2-tops that could possibly be pushed together but was told that one of the tables was reserved for a handicap guest who is a regular at Charela. Now we have not stayed at Charela because we own a house in Negril, but over the past 20+ years have been regular guests for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Finally, after much deliberation we were seated at an inside table where my friend and I stared at a wall the entire time. Just after we were seated the hostes came rushing over and informed us that there would be a $10 per bottle corkage fee. We regularly bring our own wine to dinner with us and have absolutely no problem paying a corkage fee however, under the circumstance, we felt this was extremely poor customer service considering they had given our reserved table away to another party. This experience was extremely disappointing, to say the least, and we feel that management should be made aware of the poor customer service that was exhibited by the hostess that evening.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
6  Thank MKMOSS
Reviewed 10 February 2018

I’ll start out by saying that the ocean front Junior Suite we splurged on and reserved 5 months ahead of time (and confirmed twice just prior to our trip) was indeed charming and everything we expected – hence the early reservation!! Gorgeous views, fabulous palm-treed beach in a perfect location, great restaurant, friendly and helpful housekeeping and restaurant staff. On the con side, heavy stench of cigarette smoke that permeated our clothes and bags even after we got home. Our room was over the bar; we didn’t mind the noise (it’s a pretty low-key bar that closes early) and loved the large balcony when the band was there.

So why only 2 stars? We made our reservation back in August for a Jan/Feb reservation, and two days later adjusted the dates to arrive two days earlier to accommodate better flights. This involved emails to confirm that the junior suite was available for the new dates, and I received a new reservation with the correct dates and room. Then, a week before our trip I emailed the reservation to Charela to confirm, and received a reply with the original incorrect dates. Red flag! So I emailed them again, and received an email apologizing for the “typo” and assuring me that our reservation was correct and confirmed.

After flying 4 hours and making the 2-hour drive to Negril, we finally arrived and were told that we won’t have the room we reserved for the first night. No viable explanation for how that happened after all the confirmations and written reservations (“it was changed on the email, but not our system”… makes no sense when I had a correct reservation from their system sent five months earlier). Just a smile and “we’re so sorry”. It really felt like we were being played.

We were put into an ocean front room (not suite). The room was okay (weird bathroom with toilet on platform and closet in bathroom, balcony over dining area not very private), and imo overpriced when the junior suite doesn’t cost that much more – which is why we booked the junior suite in the first place. It was a pain not being able to unpack and settle in, and waiting around the next day for our junior suite to be ready and moving our things put a crimp in our day.

I know, boo-hoo, right? Not the worst travel nightmare, but we really felt deceived, especially with no explanation of how this happened. The only thing we can think of is that they overbooked, and if this is the case would have preferred being told in advance rather than blind-sided on arrival. And, more importantly – not one thing was offered to help smooth this over, even after we repeatedly mentioned how disappointed we were and how disruptive it was to move. A discount on the night in the pricey room we didn’t book would have been nice, or a voucher for the restaurant, or even an extra drink at the bar… but nothing.

I have no idea whether this is common practice at Charela or just an isolated unfortunate incident, but should also mention that another guest we talked to on the beach said something similar happened to them… don’t know the details, but this leads me to think it happens more than it should. If so, whether it’s intentional or just a matter of being disorganized, it’s really not okay.

If not for this incident and the way it was handled (or lack thereof), a junior suite at Charela would be our go-to winter break destination and we’d give them four stars, as we really had a lovely time once we were in our reserved room. But this left such a bad taste in our mouths that we’ll reserve—and expect our reservation to be honored-- elsewhere the next time we go to Negril.

Room Tip: Junior Suite with large balcony is charming and worth extra cost, but be prepared to be put in a different room for part of your stay.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
3  Thank paperclip
chareca, Reservations at Charela Inn / Le Vendome, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2018

Dear Guest:

Thank you for booking accommodation at the Charela Inn and for taking the time to post a review on your vacation experience.

We are very sorry to hear of the reservation glitch which caused a disturbance in your vacation stay and it was not handled in the manner you expected. Rest assure if this was brought to the Manager's attention it would have been properly dealt with nonetheless we will be looking into this matter to avoid future discomfort to our visitors. This does not happen normally however during this period it was quite busy for us and reservations were amended to accommodate bookings but this is still not an excuse for what happened.

Otherwise from the reservation glitch we are happy to hear that you enjoyed parts of your vacation.

Please do not allow this small mishap to prevent you from visiting our property during your next visit to Negril, Jamaica, I guarantee this will not happen in the future. Give us a chance to make it up to you.

Wishing you all the best.

Reservations