New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Rockhouse Hotel

Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #3 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Naples, Florida
“Fantastic Boutique Hotel in Negril”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2012

I recently surprised my husband with a trip to Rockhouse for his thirtieth birthday. Since we work weekends we stayed Monday-Friday. We arrived with time for a drink and dinner at sunset, and we departed around noon on Friday which gave us the morning to play. We loved our stay there and we can't wait to go back someday. We stayed in a premium villa and for the price it was fantastic, although many of the rooms at Rockhouse had awesome cliffside views. They didn't charge extra for room service, which was nice considering there were tourist taxes on everything we paid for there. The local food was also very enjoyable, if not a bit repetitive by the end of the week. (We really enjoyed the lentil burgers served at the pool bar. I also loved the curried goat and jerk pork at Pushcart.)

The setup there is great- the property is large but there are only so many rooms, so we never felt crowded. Just social enough. Most of the people staying there were couples or friends in their 20s-30s. (The cliffs do not make for a young-child-friendly environment.) The pool and swimming in the sea were incredibly satisfying, and the cliff jumping and snorkeling were endlessly entertaining. I did try yoga with Fanette early one morning which was just lovely. Another treat was the spa: my husband had a deep-tissue massage while I had a fruit scrub and wrap. Joy and Joyce were absolutely wonderful and their service and the indoor-outdoor spa atmosphere made for an unforgettable experience. We were so relaxed and enthralled by the property that we did not leave the hotel grounds.

On our last evening we reserved the little stand-alone table at the Rockhouse Restaurant. It was such a special and romantic way to end our trip, and there was no extra cost for the special treatment. I can't say enough great things about the Rockhouse and it's staff!

Room Tip: Although we stayed in a premium villa (the top-end room) and loved it, on future trips we will consi...
4 Thank nanettekatherine
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (248)
Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

Rockhouse offers beautifully manicured grounds, a stunning location with incredible views of the sunset over the ocean. The food and drinks at both restaurants and the pool side bar was good. I loved the cold coconut water alcoholic beverage. Also, probably because so many of the guests are in villas, there is never a problem finding a lounge chair. It is also kind of a happening place: the crowd was younger and two celebrities were there during my visit. Well, one person I recognized, the other I didn't, but other guests told me he was famous. The mini bar amenities includes the usual nuts and drinks, but also offer sarongs, rolling papers and condoms.

Bad: I found out about Rockhouse from an article that named it the best value in the Caribbean and listed a $160 price, but described the fabulousness of the villas. The villas are an entirely different price-point. The standard room was nicer than I expected, except for one problem: noise. Instead of a windows, they have shutters. You can hear everything going on in the next room. On my first night our neighbors talked all night long. I couldn't really complain, because they were not loudly partying, they were just talking which they had every right to do. I wanted to move rooms but the front desk told me those guys were checking out. The next two nights everything was fine, but the final night, new noisy neighbors checked in. If you can sleep through noise, I would recommend the standard room. If not, then I would suggest not staying here unless you can afford a villa or take heavy duty sleeping pills or stay up all night yourself.

Excellent: I loved the trip to the school the hotel supports. I couldn't believe only one other guest went along for this trip because it was a highlight of the week. Even if you have zero interest in the school, I would suggest going because the drive there takes you through parts of Jamaica you probably wouldn't see otherwise. The yoga in the mornings by the water was also very good.

Overall, we ate and drank a lot here so our final bill was steep and that was in the "cheap" room and I would definitely want a villa next time. I would consider revisiting the hotel, if money was no object.

Room Tip: I would make a point of requesting an end room, if getting a standard room because at least then you...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank halley3
Baltimore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Rockhouse and were impressed with the service, the view, the food, and the room. We were greeted with rum punch and natural fruit punch. We ate well and slept well during the whole trip. I highly recommend the Rockhouse to anyone taking a trip to the West End in Jamaica. The hotel is also a socially responsible entity serving the Negril community through the Rockhouse Foundation. We took a tour to the local school and saw the work that the Foundation has done, and donated supplies while we were out there. Back at the hotel, on one of the days, the chef came out and provided cooking lessons and samplers, which was a real treat because we love to cook and love new recipes. There were yoga classes every morning. The pool has an amazing view of the ocean. The sunsets are incredible. We enjoyed all our meals. The food was fresh and local. The cliffs were fun and picture-perfect, and great for diving and snorkeling. I can't say enough good things about our getaway. We are definitely going back!

Room Tip: We stayed at a Standard room, and it was perfect. We had this beautiful mahogany canopy bed, with an...
2 Thank UrbanOrchid
West Palm Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

Just got back from my second trip to Negril, Jamaica with my boyfriend and both times we chose to stay at the Rockhouse. I cannot say enough about this property. You could stay at the resort all day and have a blast swimming in the pool, ocean or adventuring through the caves. The spa is wonderful (Latoya gives a great massage). We enjoyed the couples massage first thing in the morning outside, on a cliff overlooking the ocean. Perfection! The three restaurants are great and we ate at the Rockhouse restaurant every morning for breakfast, two lunches at the pool (snapper salad and anything grilled – sausage, chicken, shrimp is delicious). The Pushcart is also a great place to eat (try the Pepper Pot Soup). When we were there, it was mainly couples and wedding groups, which was great for us as we do not have children nor do we want to be around young children while on vacation. The rooms are comfortable (all have A/C) and many have large, private outdoor showers. The property has wonderful tropical landscaping and does its best to stay “Green” which I appreciate. The location of the property is a short taxi ride from seven-mile beach, but I prefer the tranquility of the Rockhouse to being on the beach, which can get very load and crowded certain times of year. The West End of Negril is great for adventure seekers and those who want a real Jamaican feel while still having all the benefits of staying on a resort. There are tons of things to do in and around Negril, but a relaxing day at the Rockhouse is sometimes all you need…or want. We will definitely be back…I miss it already…soon come.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank TLR3131
NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2012

We stayed at the Rockhouse mid May 2012 for our daughter's wedding. It turned out to be one of the best decisions we ever made! For the wedding, every detail could not have been more perfect. The locale, the ceremony, the food, the bar, the band Hugade, and Inise, the wedding planner added to an ideal wedding and reception. Also the fine weather and sunset added to a magical night along with the outrageous Jamaican Rum wedding cake. The hotel itself was more beautiful than photos could ever show. The premium villas and villas are amazing as we awoke each morning to views of the Caribbean. The food at the restaurant and at the Pushcart were delicious and reasonably priced. Our favorites were the Jerk Platter and the Callaloo. The alcoholic drinks were also fantastic especially the Drunken Coconut and Dirty Banana.. The hotel was clean and very safe. The staff was most helpful and friendly. Snorkeling off our villa was thrilling and rental equipment was cheap. My entire family and friends highly recommend the Rockhouse and we are now planning to return for our daughter and son-in-law's 1st anniversary.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank randykushner
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
2.2 km away
1.2 km away
Catcha Falling Star
Catcha Falling Star
#5 of 84 in Negril

Been to Rockhouse Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK