“Rockhouse is an oasis of relaxation with a great vibe, tasty food, friendly service and stunning scenery”
Review of Rockhouse Hotel

Rockhouse Hotel
Ranked #2 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Set on some low cliffs just to the north of Negril, the setting is exactly what one imagines paradise to be. Our room was on a cliff with its own private patio overlooking the sea. A few steps down the ladder and we were swimming!

Friendly staff (most of whom seem to have been with the hotel for 5+ years) – this is very unusual for Jamaica where service is at best curt.

Spa is of 5* US hotel quality. The massage outside in the cabana over the sea is the ultimate treat: While you are expertly massaged you hear the waves lapping the rocks below, instead of the repetitive “bird tweeting/fake waterfall” tapes that most spas use.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mikechf

Reviewed 13 April 2012

I was there with my husband and on our 2nd day there on my way to the pool (1st official day of vacation) a man attacked me, grabbed pushed me, and continued yelling at me. I was yelling help and looked around and saw that the staff just watched and no one came to help me. My husband had not come outside yet so he did not know. I was so scared and just ran back to my room. The staff did nothing to help me. They talked to the man and they said he thought I was someone else. But that didn't matter b/c no staff tried to help me. We went to the police and filed a report and moved to a different resort. The rest of our vacation I was sad and anxious. Just awful vacation. We will never go back to Rockhouse b/c I was not safe and so scared and the staff just watched like it was a show or something. No one tried to intervene while I was screaming for help. As a foreigner you expect that the hotel has security in place for bad incidences. There was an apperance of security but no one moved. It was horrifying.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
24  Thank BrMabs
Charlotte_WallaceGM, General Manager at Rockhouse Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2012

I am Charlotte Wallace, General Manager at Rockhouse Hotel, Negril, Jamaica since June 2006. I have done a thorough review of our records and cannot find any evidence of this incident occurring at our property. My review included discussions with our entire management team, research of our Security records, checking with the local police station which was unable to find a record of this report which the reviewer said was made there and the interviewing of our staff, none of whom have any recollection of this incident. We have also reached out directly to the writer of this review and have not heard back with further details.
We take security very seriously at Rockhouse and have an extensively-trained security team stationed around the clock on property and we are so stunned by this report that we question the credibility of the incident in particular because no one here has any knowledge of it.
Regards,
Charlotte Wallace

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We love this place, the view is expectacular, the service is very good. I recomend this place only for couples.

Its a most do at Negril

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Elmertweet
Reviewed 9 April 2012

I went to the Rock House in March 2012 with 2 friends (We are 3 late-20s American women).

We really enjoyed the Rock House and Kenny Tours was great. While we had some questionable Jamaican experiences outside the resort (harassment, unwanted attention), our experiences inside the resort were very positive. The resort is extremely beautiful and relaxing, but for me personally it isn’t stimulating enough to only stay in the resort for the entire trip. Unless all you want to do is sunbathe and get massages, it may get a little boring.

So, we ventured out for dinners and had some really fun experiences but also some negative experiences when we did. Hungry Lion, and Catch a Falling Star were both great, and we also liked Rick’s Café for the cliff divers at sunset. 7 mile beach was not great—a lot of people were approaching us to sell things and would follow us as we were walking, so not very relaxing.

I do want to use this entry to address the only aspect of the Rock House where we were disappointed: their recommendation of Vincent’s snorkeling tours. We trusted the resort staff and Kenny tours and thought that if the resort recommended Vincent’s tours, it must be good. We got a recommendation from another Rock House visitor while we were there to go on a 2-hour snorkeling tour with Vincent. It was a couple that recommended the snorkeling trip to us and like many things in Jamaica, we realized the experience may be different if it was a couple, family or mixed gender group as opposed to a group of just young women.

So here was our experience with Vincent’s tour: When we got on the boat at the Rock House, it was Vincent (middle aged man) and 2 younger men, and the 3 of us. Right away it was very uncomfortable with the 2 younger men making inappropriate sexual advances (which we were somewhat used to by this point in our trip, but unhappy and uncomfortable with nonetheless). This really marred our experience on the snorkeling tour and we all said we wouldn’t have gone on the trip if we had known what it was going to be like. It was very uncomfortable being out on the open water with these men who we didn’t trust. When we started snorkeling, Vincent guided us around and was actually very nice and appropriate and did a good job. If it was just Vincent on the trip with us we would have been happy with it. The 2 other men weren’t part of the snorkeling experience and actually started spear gun fishing right around us while we were snorkeling (which was a little disconcerting as we didn’t want to get shot with a spear gun!). We thought that Vincent should get rid of these two guys and do the tours himself and save the fishing for a separate time when he didn’t have snorkelers on board. Vincent seemed like a nice guy, but the other two men really ruined the trip for us.

The Rock House and people who stay there should be aware of this (especially groups of women) before they decide to do one of these snorkeling tours.

One final piece of advice—when you leave the resort take the phone number for Kenny Tours with you. We didn’t trust a lot of the taxi services (even security guards tried to get us in fake cabs) so we called Kenny’s Tours a few times when we were out to come pick us up!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank P T
Reviewed 5 April 2012

I'm sure when that will be, but the Rockhouse, it's staff, Push cart Restaurant, Pool Grill, Room Service, Vincent and and Roger on the glass bottom boat, Negril, the surrounding restaurants such as "Catch a Falling Star, 7 mile beach etc etc etc gave us great reason to want to go back.

Rockhouse is super relaxed and lush at the same time.

Stay in a Villa. Worth it.

Get a massage in the cabana. Worth it.

Room Tip: Villa. Large, private and incredible ocean views.