“A mind blowing party”

Ranked #16 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Ottawa, Canada
“A mind blowing party”
Reviewed 2 May 2012

It can be tough to travel alone here, especially because of the creepy label that is the default assumption about single men. However, with a positive attitude, politeness and a lot of respect for fellow guests, the sky is the limit. Almost everyone here travelled as couples, but many couple are open to making new friends amongst singles. Not everyone here were swingers and it is ok to just be yourself! Single women should not worry because good people stick up for each other here and bad behaviour is not tolerated.

I partied hard every day for a week. The party during the day is at the nude pool. If you are not ok with being nude and want to party then the resort is not a good choice. The prude side was deserted, but if you wanted your own beach it would have been paradise for you!

The resort itself is fine but nothing exceptional. What is exceptional about this place is the people: friendly, open-minded and fun!

I did not have any problems finding a free chair, shade on the beach, or a clean beach towel unlike some previous resort experiences. It was also easy to make restaurant reservations. The food was good and the service was excellent. The tennis pro is excellent and I took a free lesson every day.

There were some complaints about hot water not being available at times in some of the rooms. My air conditioning unit in my room was rather loud, but the amount of fun I had definitely compensated for such potential problems.

It was awesome and I want to go back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
10 Thank Chris M
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Polish first
Boston, MA
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This was our 3rd trip to Hedo and not the last. I was very apprehensive about going because of past experiences. There are certain things I miss that I didnt want to do without but I booked anyway. Check in was quick and our room wasnt ready. We like to get in the room and get settled before we go to the beach so we waited in the lobby. Our room was ready within mins. Room was typical, old 70's decor, clean and I think the ac unit was new. No musty smell that you always get in the Carribean. No blanket on the bed but we just left a note for the maid and she put one on the next day. We hit the beach and the resort was at capacity. Still lots of chairs and towels were always available. Lunch at the nude beach was great. He does a great job being alone. They only ran out of Jerk Chicken once and it was our own fault we waited until 3 to eat. No problem as the burgers were good. Usually I hate the burgers in Jamaica but I think they changed the product. It used to taste like a cheap frozen sailbury steak but it was good this time. There usually was a wait at the bar but the resort was at capacity and the bartenders never stopped moving. We did have one issue with a bartender at the prude side. She completely ignored my husband. Went so far as to walk by him numerous times. At one point he was the only one standing at the bar and she made herself busy doing other things. I told him not to take it personally. I think she ignored him because he was ordering Hummingbirds and being a bartender in another life I hated making frozen drinks. It was NOT Paulette she is the best prude beach bartender. But we would not let it ruin our trip. Just went to another bar next round. They had a few djs at the nude pool. Mike in the early afternoon he was great and played music more to our liking. Then another dj came on at 3 and it was basically club music. It was loud and not to our liking so we just moved to the prude beach which was no longer prude. In fact the entire resort was nude. It was great. We actually swam in the upper pool nude. I never see anyone in that pool. I gotta tell you,food was a HUGE issue when deciding to rebook at Hedo. I HATED the food in the past. I know some people dont go for the food but I spend the other 51 weeks of the year planning and cooking meals. I want good food when I go on vacation. This time there was a huge difference in the food. We ate at the Italian resturant 3 out of 7 and the buffet the rest. The Italian was great and next time we will try to eat there every night. The buffet showed a bump up too. Plenty of selection and the pasta station was great. Breakfast is always good. We were up late enough one night to see the midnight snack station and it looked good also. Burgers, fries just enough to soak up the booze. We went to the piano bar every night. My favorite bartender is there...he is THE BEST BARTENDER at Hedo I think his name Alden. Employee of month!!! Overall the trip was great the issues I have I either got over or they have been rectified. No balcony, we just went to the beach early as opposed to sitting on the balcony having coffee. Food was terrible, seems to have changed and its pretty good. Like my husband says...it will keep you alive. No fridge in room, they charge 1 buck for sodas in the gift shop and 2 for large bottles of water. Very resonable. Just grabbed some waters for the room and problem solved. Hot water, found out the if you shower at the peak shower time there isnt much hot water. We just showered as soon at we got back to the room anytime around 4-6 and had plenty of hot water. The first night we showered at 8 and FROZE. I mark this trip as a success and in fact are in the process of booking in the fall. Thanks Hedo!

Room Tip: We just book the prude side. Its a walk to the beach but just a short stroll to the restaurants and...
7 Thank TwoTravlinFools
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This was my 2nd trip to hedo and what a trip it was! Sophie worked so hard to make my husband and I have the most memorable wedding anyone could imagine! If you ever want to get married, or renew your vows I recommend doing it here. Wedding on the beach with beautiful flowers (which are provided for you free) cake and champagne provided free for your reception. Sophie and all the hedo crew are amazing! The rooms are very comfortable and clean. Food is always abundant and wonderful. Ice cream at 2am love it! Japanese and Italian restaurant fabulous! Be sure to get your reservations in early. Entertainment is always a blast! I had to bring an extra suitcase so I could dress up for every theme night. I loved it. Entertainment staff Winston, 50 and the whole crew put on great dinner shows every night. I recommend entering contests if you are dressing up. They are a lot of fun!
Water sports crew is amazing! Scuba diving, snorkeling, sailing. I can't say enough about the staff, So friendly, everyone of them! Anything you need they are willing to help with a friendly smile. The spa at hedo is fabulous, massage on the beach "heaven". I am so looking forward to next year when I can enjoy my spa day again. There is so much of hedo that I love. The atmosphere, the staff the new friends I have made from all over the world. Sophia, Winston, Alicia and all of the staff Thankyou for making this a magical trip! See you next April!

Little Miss Utah

Room Tip: I've only stayed on the prude side but I love the garden rooms.
3 Thank Littlemissutah
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 May 2012

If you like to make friends that you will remember forever then this is the place to go. The guests are the attraction and weather you want to watch interesting people doing all kinds of things that you would like to do or join in with then you must go to Hedo at least one time in your life. As for the hotel itself well it is old but everything works, the staff are great the food is good and if you like to stay active then you will not be disapointed with the activities on offer from yoga to waterskiing and it is all inclusive. Oh and every friday night is lobster night as much as you can eat for everyone

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank harry k
Virginia
Reviewed 1 May 2012

This was our 5th annual trip to Hedo. No other place compares once you have been here. It is not 5 Star in the usual sense, but the vibe and the people make it seem even higher. No where else do people engage in conversation and bond so easily and readily with others at the resort. It may not suit the mainstream sheep, but if you are on the free spirited side and like to really relax and have nothing but fun on your vacation with no stress or boredom, this is the best of the best. The people at the other resorts look so bored and are missing out on the thrill of being nude at the beach, and dressing up in outrageous clothing for costume parties and dinner, laughing in the piano bar, playing in the play room that resembles a Roman Bathhouse, and sharing risque jokes with the staff who remember your name from year to year. It's the most fun you can possibly have on a vacation. The only downside was the piano bar sucks without Dion. That was a shame. It used to be a lot more fun with him engaging everyone and people dancing nude on the piano. They need to pay him more to lure him back! But we rode the jet ski this time and walked the 7 Mile Beach, and finding the hidden and long overdue play room made up for the disappointing piano bar somewhat. Get Dion back and turn the disco into an additional play room and keep all the dancing and music at the pools and in the dining room where it sounds better than the disco anyway, and I will give even higher reviews next year! Our dream is to retire here!! And we are planning our wedding at Hedo for 2014! Love this place!!

Room Tip: Go with the cheapest rooms and stay longer. The prude side is a longer walk to the beach, but you a...
7 Thank Virginiaabitspoiled