My wife and I visited Couples Swept Away earlier this month and we had a great time there. I know a lot of reviewers on Trip Advisor tend to nit pick and give bad reviews to places that don't deserve it. I feel that the review I'm giving is very objective and gives an accurate picture of the resort.
I had seen the photos of this resort prior to taking the trip and I wasn't blown away, but after reading all the great reviews I thought that there must be more that I'm not seeing. My wife assured me that Couples was given high ratings in Travel and Leisure. Unfortunately, when I arrived, I was not blown away by the accomodations.
Let me start with the positives:
1. The Food - The food at this resort was excellent compared to other all-inclusives I've visited. Even the food at the Cabana Grill by the pool was surprisingly good. The best restaurant in my opinion was Patois Patio. Surprisingly, that is the more casual of the restaurants. Even my worst meal at the resort wasn't so bad. Definitely try the snapper sandwich at Sea Grapes, the sweet potato chips at Sea Grapes, the Jerk Chicken Sandwich and Jerk Burger at the Cabana Grill, and banana stuffed french toast at Patois.
2. The Beach - The long beach, soft sand, clear water and palm trees leave no room for complaints. Plus, there is little to no seaweed. Another plus is that it is never hard to find a chair or a floating mat. I think that alone makes this one of the better beaches that I have seen at an all-inclusive.
3. The Water Sports Staff - Everyone who helped me was great.
4. The Photography Staff - When you travel as a couple it's tough to get pictures of yourselves without being a pain and asking people to take your pictures. The photography staff is constantly present taking pictures on the beach during the day and at sunset. They also take pictures at the various restaurants. Unfortunately, one of the negatives was the price for photos (see below).
1. Unimpressive Lobby/Grounds - One thing I have loved about most all-inclusives I've visited is the impressive lobbies. In Couples the lobby is small and outdated.
2. Outdated Rooms - The rooms are not only plain and outdated but several things are falling apart. In our room we had a broken lamp and a shower head that looked like something out of my college dormitory. Again, I have been impressed with beautiful bedrooms and bathrooms. Not so impressed here.
3. The Pools and Pool Bar - Not only is the pool small, but it looks like something at a community swim club...not a 5 star resort. The pool bar is cramped and small. One thing I enjoy about all-inclusives is looking at the beautiful pools. I can't say that here. The "main pool" is nicer, but still unimpressive.
4. Towels are scarce - If you are in the Great House pool and don't get a towel by 11am, forget it. You have to trek on down to the sports desk on the other side of the resort. And sometimes, you can't even get one there. Also, the towels are cheap and thin; not nice beach towels like you get at most better all-inclusive resorts.
5. Lack of music - I know some people like quiet at the beach, but there is usually someplace (like the pool) that has music. This is a matter of preference, but some background music would have been nice at least at one of the two pools.
6. Decor at the restaurants - The decor in this resort is outdated for the most part. The only restaurant that had a niced atmosphere in my opinion is the outdoor deck at Lemongrass.
7. Lack of a lobby bar or central bar - Where do you go when it rains? Most places have a nice bar to go to during the day. Not the case at Couples. The only choices are the beach and pool bars which fill up fast when it rains.
8. Non-water activities - One other area that was lacking was the amount of non-water activities that were offered and inability of the staff to get people involved. I always enjoy beach volleyball and it was lacking at Couples. Several days we were there, volleyball was on the schedule but nobody was there to play. There were no staff trying to recruit players either.
I really hate to say anything negative about the resort since my wife and I really had a great time. Vacation is what you make of it and we really enjoyed our trip. However, for the price you pay, I would expect a lot more. I have payed much less for other resorts and been much more impressed than I was with Couples Swept Away. I think that is the bottom line. For all the accolades rewarded by Travel and Leisure, and all the great reviews I've seen on Trip Advisor, I expected a lot more. I've stayed at several other all-inclusives including Secrets Resorts and I was much more impressed with what I saw at those resorts.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immediately upon entering Couples Swept Away, you realize that you have arrived in paradise. Exotic flowers bloom amidst acres of green—on seven miles of the purest white sand beach in Negril, Jamaica. Dotted among the tropical gardens—open-air cafes, small pool enclaves and fresh fruit oases are yours to discover. Never crowded or hurried, the resort offers an intimate tranquility and when desired, total seclusion. All rooms embrace a quiet elegance with island cedar furnishings and pure white linens. Plantation shutters open onto private verandahs with views of gardens and azure sea. Breezy open-air restaurants engage candle-lit lanterns and billowing white curtains to strike a romantic note. While the pristine 10-acre sports complex encompasses every imaginable activity, the superb spa serves as a haven of relaxation. Couples Swept Away simply captures your heart and soothes your soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda so you can book your Couples Swept Away reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Swept Away Negril
- Couples Swept Away Hotel Negril
- Jamaica Couples Swept Away
- Swept Away Resort
- Negril Couples Swept Away
- Swept Away Negril
- Couples Swept Away Jamaica
- Couples Negril