“Beautiful beach, great food, but atmosphere is lacking” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Couples Swept Away

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Couples Swept Away
Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
“Beautiful beach, great food, but atmosphere is lacking”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2012

My wife and I visited Couples Swept Away earlier this month and we had a great time there. I know a lot of reviewers on Trip Advisor tend to nit pick and give bad reviews to places that don't deserve it. I feel that the review I'm giving is very objective and gives an accurate picture of the resort.

I had seen the photos of this resort prior to taking the trip and I wasn't blown away, but after reading all the great reviews I thought that there must be more that I'm not seeing. My wife assured me that Couples was given high ratings in Travel and Leisure. Unfortunately, when I arrived, I was not blown away by the accomodations.

Let me start with the positives:
1. The Food - The food at this resort was excellent compared to other all-inclusives I've visited. Even the food at the Cabana Grill by the pool was surprisingly good. The best restaurant in my opinion was Patois Patio. Surprisingly, that is the more casual of the restaurants. Even my worst meal at the resort wasn't so bad. Definitely try the snapper sandwich at Sea Grapes, the sweet potato chips at Sea Grapes, the Jerk Chicken Sandwich and Jerk Burger at the Cabana Grill, and banana stuffed french toast at Patois.
2. The Beach - The long beach, soft sand, clear water and palm trees leave no room for complaints. Plus, there is little to no seaweed. Another plus is that it is never hard to find a chair or a floating mat. I think that alone makes this one of the better beaches that I have seen at an all-inclusive.
3. The Water Sports Staff - Everyone who helped me was great.
4. The Photography Staff - When you travel as a couple it's tough to get pictures of yourselves without being a pain and asking people to take your pictures. The photography staff is constantly present taking pictures on the beach during the day and at sunset. They also take pictures at the various restaurants. Unfortunately, one of the negatives was the price for photos (see below).

The negatives:
1. Unimpressive Lobby/Grounds - One thing I have loved about most all-inclusives I've visited is the impressive lobbies. In Couples the lobby is small and outdated.
2. Outdated Rooms - The rooms are not only plain and outdated but several things are falling apart. In our room we had a broken lamp and a shower head that looked like something out of my college dormitory. Again, I have been impressed with beautiful bedrooms and bathrooms. Not so impressed here.
3. The Pools and Pool Bar - Not only is the pool small, but it looks like something at a community swim club...not a 5 star resort. The pool bar is cramped and small. One thing I enjoy about all-inclusives is looking at the beautiful pools. I can't say that here. The "main pool" is nicer, but still unimpressive.
4. Towels are scarce - If you are in the Great House pool and don't get a towel by 11am, forget it. You have to trek on down to the sports desk on the other side of the resort. And sometimes, you can't even get one there. Also, the towels are cheap and thin; not nice beach towels like you get at most better all-inclusive resorts.
5. Lack of music - I know some people like quiet at the beach, but there is usually someplace (like the pool) that has music. This is a matter of preference, but some background music would have been nice at least at one of the two pools.
6. Decor at the restaurants - The decor in this resort is outdated for the most part. The only restaurant that had a niced atmosphere in my opinion is the outdoor deck at Lemongrass.
7. Lack of a lobby bar or central bar - Where do you go when it rains? Most places have a nice bar to go to during the day. Not the case at Couples. The only choices are the beach and pool bars which fill up fast when it rains.
8. Non-water activities - One other area that was lacking was the amount of non-water activities that were offered and inability of the staff to get people involved. I always enjoy beach volleyball and it was lacking at Couples. Several days we were there, volleyball was on the schedule but nobody was there to play. There were no staff trying to recruit players either.

I really hate to say anything negative about the resort since my wife and I really had a great time. Vacation is what you make of it and we really enjoyed our trip. However, for the price you pay, I would expect a lot more. I have payed much less for other resorts and been much more impressed than I was with Couples Swept Away. I think that is the bottom line. For all the accolades rewarded by Travel and Leisure, and all the great reviews I've seen on Trip Advisor, I expected a lot more. I've stayed at several other all-inclusives including Secrets Resorts and I was much more impressed with what I saw at those resorts.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
11 Thank jp24dmd
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Hooksett, New Hampshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

I have to admit, I was first completely turned off by a wedding in Jamaica. I heard too many stories of issues in Jamaica. My fiance and I were looking for a place for a destination wedding and Couples Swept Away was extremely fast with getting back to us. We had inquired with several other hotels on various islands such as Dominican Republic, Antigua, St. John. We were planning a destination wedding for up to 50 people.

Long story short, we went with Couples. They were excellent with communication and when we arrived in Jamaica we were greated immediately at the airport with smiles and beers. We then took the hour and a half trip to the hotel. When we arrived at the hotel we were greated with cool face clothes and chanpagne.

We had a fantastic room right on the beach. The rooms were excellent and the service was fantastic. Although, if you have bathroom phobias the rooms might not be good, there is no ceiling to the bathrooms so it is all open. My wife and I were there for two weeks and loved it. We had various other guests that arrived and left at different times. Everyone had a great time. The room was stocked daily with Rum, Wine and various other soda's and juices. The meals were very good.

The wedding coordinator was excellent. We were married at sunset on the beach and wouldn't have done it any other way. I can't wait to go back to the resort!!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank GreggM1971
Morehead, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

When: July 19-24, 2012
First of all, let me say I read so much on this and the Couples Swept Away message boards, I almost felt like I'd been there before...maybe that's why...
-I felt the food was sub-par...we are not 'foodies', or so I thought...best breakfast at Patios (so was supper, actually), in fact, that is probably the best food we had...don't get the curried goat-it has bones in it :(
Liked Sea Grapes (my husband loved the snapper sandwhich and fish tacos, but once again, he found a bone in his s-which, the next day I did in the fish taco-sorry, it just ruins it for me...)
-The Ocean is beatuiful and swept daily, those guys work hard! That was 5 stars!
-The staff over all was super. There was one girl in a beach bar who wasn't nice, and made us feel unwelcome, so we just went to another one-although it has the most comfy seating...it was smiles and welcomes, and fist bumps--Every Day, All Day Long!!! Very friendly people...our maid was fine, cleaned daily, only met her once. 5 stars for the staff--bartenders...awesome!!!!!
-Our travel agent, Mark, from Tripguys.com was very good, and made paperwork and such a cinch...highly reccomended.
-traveling back home was a nightmare...it took 2 hours to get through immigration/customs/security...it truly makes us re-think going out of the States for a vacation for a while...we thought cruises were bad, but they were a cake walk...never stood in so many lines before. We were not happy campers, and just wanted to get home at that point!!! Oh, well, safety first, and all that...
-We have been to many beaches/resorts in US and Bahamas, CSA has good vibes; casual-I never felt pressured to 'fix myself up' if I didn't choose to, all ages were around, met some of the most friendly people-from LA to SC and yes, as always Canadians on our first night (thumbs up-every time we meet people from Canada they are great to be around)...
-our most enjoyable 'party' times were at Aurora Night Club singing at the piano...man, he is good and patient! Whew. And dancing...fun, fun.
-the Catamaran cruise was great-take some dollars with you to pay the little boys that jump from the cliffs...(so sad to see, really)
-As so many have said the people there are what makes it so great...I would have to agree...
We had a fun trip, glad we went for our 25th anniversary. Was it the trip of our lifetime...I don't think so! Many people we met had already booked again for next year...did we? no. Will we? no. But, don't let that stop you from choosing CSA-I say go for it!!! You will love it.

Room Tip: Third floor oceanfront has great views (we were in a corner room), but you also have to climb the st...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank cdjbook
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012 via mobile

While there are some things we like better at swept away, couples negril is where we will return. Swept away has a very nice sports center and the rooms are very nice. We stayed in a atrium suite and loved the patio and hammock. The food was good and we especially liked sea grapes.

We didn't like the lay out of the resort. We prefer the beach at cn and swept away couldn't match the friendliness of cn. Swept away is a much larger resort with the same watersport resources so it was harder to get reservations for activites. In a nutshell, swept away is a very nice place but doesn't have the vibe cn offers.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William K
Alpharetta, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2012

We liked it so much we are planning a second trip back. And that is rare for us since there are so many places to visit in this world still on our "list". We got scuba certified which I wasn't planning on doing, but after our scuba class the second day there, we were hooked. What else was awesome? The staff, the food, the martini bar, the open air vegetarian cafe that had a different juice every day (yes, I loved the beet juice), the free tennis lessons, learning how to play squash, the entertainment, the bar at the sports complex that had a smoothie made with Guinness, the fresh mangos, jumping off the boat at a stop during the catamaran cruise to swim in a cave, the flag you put up next to your chair at the beach and a waiter will come get your drink order, rum snow cones and the hammock on the patio in our atrium suite. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank clemsonjenw
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
3.4 km away
#4 of 36 in Ocho Rios
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,711 reviews
64.4 km away
Iberostar Grand Hotel Rose Hall

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK