New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #15 of 84 Hotels in Negril
Hantsport, Canada
“Great time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2012

Stayed at CSA Apr 8-22. We had a garden varanda room. We were concerned about road noise but it wasn't all that bad. Once you had you ac on with doors closed, you didn't hear much. We loved the garden room because of the thick foliage. Beautiful. The tree frogs at night sung us a lullabye, they were louder than the traffic, but what a beautiful serenade. One of the best things about the room was that there were no toes bangers! No little steps or ledges. It was also very clean. I loved the varanda and spent most of our room time here. We had little issues with the bugs, just turn on your ceiling fan and they stayed away.
The food was very good and tried out all the dining options. Good varatity and quality. I was afraid of putting on weight, but didn't. So good healthy foods. I mostly enjoyed early morning continental breakfast in the room. Perfect start to the day.
The beach is of coarse all you could want except for the beach vendors. They can become a bit bothersome. After a few days we would only walk the beach in the early mornings to avoid being mobbed. This is the only thing I did not enjoy. If they could have the vendors stay in there spots so you could go to them it would be a lot more relaxing. High pressure sales for sure!!! Anyways, minor issue and some people really enjoy that aspect. :) The water at the beach is mainly calm, perfect for floating. There are 2 huge sting rays that we saw swimming just below us from our floats. Like shadows moving towards you. They seemed harmless. The life guard says that they are there everyday. Shout out to Deerman our beach waiter. He was great and unless it was super busy, never had to wait for a drink. They were very accommadating, mixing up anything you wanted.
Did the catameran tour and was fun, but should have snuck our own bottle on board. Watched buddy bartender mix up the punch and there was only about a 1/4 of bottle of rum put in a huge bucket of mix. I drank and drank and drank.....nothing but heartburn. lol
The ride back and forth to the airport was good, felt safe.
All in all a great vacation. If we were to go to Jamaica again it would only be a week. We just didn't like being hassled all the time by the locals and it was there where ever we went. Found that part of the vaca exausting.
Jamaica is a beautiful country and if I visit again I will try to find a quieter spot...no vendors/sellers.

7 Thank Hightidenailspa
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,338)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Smithfield, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2012

We stayed at CSA from april 28 through may 5 of 2012. We selected the atrium room for accomadation. It was just OK for us. Cost too much for what you get. The people and service was good, but they should not be advertising as all inclusive...this only means you dont pay for food and drinks. You pay for everything else. Beach is nice, and activiteis are good, just bring plenty of cash. Resort allows "vendors" on the beach to harrass you while enjoying the sun. Security is good, but most of what you can buy on the beach is fake, or it is always significantly cheaper at the aiport on your way out. Food selection was good, drinks were amazing, but we are not big drinkers anyway. Booked it through American Express which has travel service like no other.

I met great people from all over the USA, which was good. Others we spoke to that have traveled around other resorts in Jamaica claim this one has the biggest and best beach of all, and best activities.

I could have taken three other vacations for what this one cost me, and "my" vacations have been more memorable...Bottom Line, you ask? Nice place, but not worth the money.

Room Tip: Stayed in the atrium and it was just ok...plain, no extras.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mike m
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

We stayed here in April with another couple. I did review a lot of online information before selecting this resort so really had a lot of information.

Arrival:
We were greeted in the couples lounge at the Airport and provied red stripe beer, we truly enjoyed this. We waited about 1/2 hour for the shuttle to the resort. The trip there was not bad because we were excited about going someplace we hadnt been. Jamaica is a poor area and I was humbled seeing some of the homes. Once at the resort we were checked in quickly and showed to our room which was nice, a bit outdated but fine since the location was great and it was quite comfortable.

Food:
Awesome, lots of choices. We tried one specialty restaurant but were unable to get reservations for the other which was just fine. We had breakfast brought to our porch each morning, that was nice to just sit there and look out at the tropical foliage. Very relaxing

Service:
Overall I would say it was good but varied. Our room wasnt cleaned until well after 3PM most days and thats a bit of an inconvenience if you like to nap after a long day hanging around the beach. Turn down service was really a joke. They knocked at our door after 9PM at night to turn down the bed, by then we were in bed. You see there really isnt any nightlife at the resort.

Beach:
Beautiful, clean and warm water. The saving of palapas to get shade is way out of hand. People were putting their towels out the night before and no one from the resort removed these so you could not get one. This is unexceptable.

Bars:
Loved them and the service provided.

Night Life:
We tried their gaming room, about 20 slot machines in ill repair. We went there after 6 and no one was there and I mean no one. We just did not find any entertainment at night although the resort does have transportation to Margaritaville, a Sunset Cruise and transportation to Ricks Cafe. I have to say I did get a little tired of so many people in Margaritaville and at Ricks looking for tips, it really got out of hand. We gave 5 bucks to a diver and he was back asking for more 5 minutes later.

Excursion:
We booked a trip to YS falls and the Appleton Rum factory. You are looking at 90 minutes one way and two hours on the return, not worth the trip. YS falls is not as nice as Dunes Falls for those of you who have tried Dunes. The Rum factory tour is nice but the travel time just isnt worth it.

We probably wont return because of the travel time between the airlines and the shuttle servie to and from the hotel. For us it took a full day on both ends.

Room Tip: We chose the Ocean front and I highly recommend it to avoid the street noice
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
4 Thank vacations5446
Reading, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2012

I read a lot of the reviews on tripadvisor before booking this holiday, so I thought I would try to write this slightly differently and explain why this was our perfect holiday and why you may also like it, or not like it.
The Resort Overall
Very chilled, lovely grounds with a massive variety of Palm Trees and Flowers. We liked it for it's relaxed Atmosphere. 3 pools which were nice, swim-up bar, lots of great Jacuzzis everywhere, which you can use at any time during the day & Night! You may not like it, if you love Hotels with a Grand feeling, lots of marble and glitz & glamour.
Rooms
Lovely size, all with a veranda or balcony. Great Air Con and a Fan over the bed and outside. Décor was tropical. you could almost say plain. Very clean, maid service was excellent. The mini bar was amazing. Comes with the basics, beer, juice, water etc, but you can order 750ml bottles of (local) Vodka, Rum, Gin and Whiskey, Red & White Wine and Sparkling Wine, plus mixers all for free and re-stocked daily! We stayed in a Garden Veranda Suite very close to reception and the main road. No problem with traffic noise whatsoever and felt very private. Some of the more expensive suits had a nice Ocean view, but also a lot of foot traffic.
The beach
Gorgeous, lovely - what else can I say. Plenty of sun beds with the amazing floating cushions. You could walk out sooo far and the water is crystal clear, turquoise and warm. It felt incredibly save and we often left Kindle, cash and bag unattended. You may not like it if you like peace & quiet, as there is always something going on. Musicians singing for tips, guys selling Shells, cigarettes and jewellery, jet ski rides.... People were also desperate for the sun umbrellas, of which there were only a few, which were reserved very early each morning. Not a problem for sun worshippers, but if you like your shade...
The All Inclusive
Brilliant! The selection of Alcohol available was stunning, branded Spirits (Smirnoff, Johnny Walker, Tanqueray Gin etc etc. The wine and sparkling wine were both very drinkable for an AI (white wine was a Sauvignon Blanc). The cocktails were incredible and available at the beach, bars and restaurants. Try a dirty banana or chocolate Martini... The place is a must for Drinkers ;)
The Food was great. 2 main restaurants which didn't need a reservation and 2 which did. Buffet style breakfast and lunch at the Palms was always superb and dinner great. You may not like this resort if you like your dinners to be buffet style, as this only happens twice a week, all other dinners you pick from a menu (Starter, Soup, Salad, Main & Dessert). Dinner at Feathers is a must!! Guys need shoes and trousers to dine here btw. Absolutely stunning cuisine, although some guests questioned the portion sizes..... I guess it's not meant for the gluttons ... We both love food and were always stuffed !
The 2 cafes are brilliant and the Jerk Chicken is cooked traditionally and tastes Amazing.
The Staff
Great, could not do enough for you even with the no tipping policy (which makes life so much simpler). You get out of it what you put in - as I think they did treat customers better who were easy going, willing to have a chat and showed their appreciation. Natasha at the beach bar and Jovian at the Palms were just lovely people!
Sports & Activities
This place is heaven for sports and activities nuts. Again the standard of the AI is incredible. Included for free : Scuba Diving if you are certified, catamaran cruise, snorkling trips, water skiing, sailing (on mini catamarans) and Wind Surfing (lessons available for both), kayaking, paddle boards... I should mention that my husband thought the Scuba was great, saw a reef shark, turtle and lots of fish. Was also very safe and organised. Don't forget your PADI card!
At the sports centre across the Road you can play tennis, squash do laps in the lap pool, go to Yoga and salsa classes, do circuit courses, There's a decent gym... I am sure there is more... The bar provides sports drinks by the bottle and healthy smoothies (wheat germ etc)
Entertainment
Much better than expected. During the day you could join in or be left to your own devices, nobody ever hassles you. There are random things like basket weaving and couples massage classes which were not for us, but seemed popular ;) In the evening, do not miss the Sing Along piano bar with Ultimate Hot Chocolate (best entertainment ever) every night at 9pm and in the Palms the live bands, entertainers and the Amazing Steel Drum band - don't judge until you hear them interpret LMFAO ;) There is a disco from 11pm until late which was cool too.

So... I guess that covers most things, although there is soo much more I could tell you. I think what I loved most are the little touches (beach bonfires, warm nuts with your Martini etc) and the feeling that everything is "No problem". I don't think I have ever been so thoroughly spoilt and felt so relaxed. There is also a real feeling of romance in the air. There are lots of weddings, honeymooners and couples on Anniversary trips (like ourselves). But it never felt tacky or cheesy.
The resort does not cater for families, or all male or female groups. I would say probably 80% of people were from the US, with a few of us Brits sprinkled in.
Travelled in late April and the weather was definitely mixed. Lots of cloudy days and rain, but also lots of sunshine. It never got cold though !

Room Tip: Don't be afraid of the Garden Veranda Suits, they are fine!
11 Thank Joobeloo
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2012

We have just returned from our fourth trip to Couples Swept Away in as many years and, once again, it was everything we wanted it to be. We are in our early 40s and are a very easy-going couple from Canada. It takes a lot to ruffle our feathers, so the laid back atmosphere in Jamaica suits us fine.

Now, if you think that 5 star means sweeping marble lobbies, lots of chandeliers, and staff hovering over you all the time, then this isn’t the right place for you. However, if you think that 5 star means exceptional service, food, location, privacy and amenities, then CSA is just what you’re looking for.

Many of the reviews here have already given a pretty detailed overview of what you can expect, but I wanted to add a few more things from our perspective.

Arrival – Our first year (2009) we were a little overwhelmed when we got to the airport in Montego Bay. Make sure you’re carrying a pen to fill out the customs card and be prepared for a long line at customs. But rest assured, it does move and you will get through.

Transportation – We have always taken the shuttle and, except for our third trip where we had a large group of fairly rude passengers, we’ve always enjoyed the drive and the scenery. (About 75-90 minutes.) The drivers are so knowledgeable and happy to answer any of your questions, and the baby goats make me smile. Be sure to tip your driver, (and the baggage handlers at the airport), and then put your wallet away. You won’t need it again.

Check-in – The process is fairly smooth. We always book the Atrium rooms, (our favourite!), and while I always request a 2nd floor room in advance, they’ve only been able to accommodate that twice. (So for all of you who’ve never been before, there is no preferential treatment for us “repeaters.” Everyone’s requests are handled as best as possible.)

The room – A little rough around the edges, but perfect for an authentic Caribbean feel. Large, well appointed, king size bed, mini-bar, walk-in shower, LOADS of towels, plantation shutters, AC and a ceiling fan, iron & board, umbrellas, everything you might need. However, while the closet is quite large with lots of hangers and lots of shelving, I do really with there were a few drawers. But all that fades away when you see the patio/terrace. We spend so much time there, (morning coffee, pre-dinner relaxing, end of day wind-down), and love that we can enjoy the tropical feel, the sounds of the ocean and the tree frogs in our robes. Housekeeping staff does a great job and this time we really got to know the woman doing our turn-down service. What a great lady!

The beach – Perfect. We’ve never had a problem finding chairs or shade. We’ve never been bothered by the vendors without having to give more than a simple “no thank you”. We’ve never worried about the green flag service, because truthfully we’re never more than a few steps to the closest beach bar. And yes, I have gotten some sand flea bites every year. They seem to come out after 5 when the sun is starting to set. So I pack cortisone cream. No big deal. (Great idea that we got from another guest this year: Bring a stiff paintbrush to brush the sand off you feet after coming out of the water. Brilliant!)

The restaurants – We LOVE Patois and Seagrapes. We really like the Palms and Cabana Grill. Lemongrass has beautiful atmosphere and okay food. (It would be better if they called it “Caribbean inspired Thai.”) We usually don’t go the Feathers. We have been twice in the past, but really everywhere else is so good and the thought of Joe having to put on closed toe shoes and long pants so we can eat in a totally enclosed space just doesn’t appeal to us. However, the food there is great, so if you’ve never been, you should experience it once.

Bars and entertainment – Bars are all great. Entertainment is good. (Silverbird Steel Drum band is not to be missed! We usually make a late reservation t Lemongrass on Wednesdays and ask to sit facing the stage. Best seats in the house!) And don’t miss Prince Jojo at the Beach Party on Friday!

Water sports – We usually don’t take advantage of many of these, but we have gone snorkeling, taken out a kayak, done the Cat Cruise… All great.

Staff – Mostly fantastic. There will always be a few who are having a bad day. (Don’t we all?) But there are also a few who are so great at their jobs and at making you feel welcome and special that it more than makes up for the one or two who might not smile every time they see you.

Finally – We often think that maybe we should go somewhere else. Maybe we should try something different. But then we keep coming back to just how great this place makes us feel. The effortless ease, the laid back pace, the friendly people… Why risk the disappointment? So, we’re already looking forward to our fifth trip “home” next April.

11 Thank j v
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
3.9 km away
7.2 km away
The Caves
The Caves
#2 of 84 in Negril

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK