I read a lot of the reviews on tripadvisor before booking this holiday, so I thought I would try to write this slightly differently and explain why this was our perfect holiday and why you may also like it, or not like it.
The Resort Overall
Very chilled, lovely grounds with a massive variety of Palm Trees and Flowers. We liked it for it's relaxed Atmosphere. 3 pools which were nice, swim-up bar, lots of great Jacuzzis everywhere, which you can use at any time during the day & Night! You may not like it, if you love Hotels with a Grand feeling, lots of marble and glitz & glamour.
Lovely size, all with a veranda or balcony. Great Air Con and a Fan over the bed and outside. Décor was tropical. you could almost say plain. Very clean, maid service was excellent. The mini bar was amazing. Comes with the basics, beer, juice, water etc, but you can order 750ml bottles of (local) Vodka, Rum, Gin and Whiskey, Red & White Wine and Sparkling Wine, plus mixers all for free and re-stocked daily! We stayed in a Garden Veranda Suite very close to reception and the main road. No problem with traffic noise whatsoever and felt very private. Some of the more expensive suits had a nice Ocean view, but also a lot of foot traffic.
Gorgeous, lovely - what else can I say. Plenty of sun beds with the amazing floating cushions. You could walk out sooo far and the water is crystal clear, turquoise and warm. It felt incredibly save and we often left Kindle, cash and bag unattended. You may not like it if you like peace & quiet, as there is always something going on. Musicians singing for tips, guys selling Shells, cigarettes and jewellery, jet ski rides.... People were also desperate for the sun umbrellas, of which there were only a few, which were reserved very early each morning. Not a problem for sun worshippers, but if you like your shade...
The All Inclusive
Brilliant! The selection of Alcohol available was stunning, branded Spirits (Smirnoff, Johnny Walker, Tanqueray Gin etc etc. The wine and sparkling wine were both very drinkable for an AI (white wine was a Sauvignon Blanc). The cocktails were incredible and available at the beach, bars and restaurants. Try a dirty banana or chocolate Martini... The place is a must for Drinkers ;)
The Food was great. 2 main restaurants which didn't need a reservation and 2 which did. Buffet style breakfast and lunch at the Palms was always superb and dinner great. You may not like this resort if you like your dinners to be buffet style, as this only happens twice a week, all other dinners you pick from a menu (Starter, Soup, Salad, Main & Dessert). Dinner at Feathers is a must!! Guys need shoes and trousers to dine here btw. Absolutely stunning cuisine, although some guests questioned the portion sizes..... I guess it's not meant for the gluttons ... We both love food and were always stuffed !
The 2 cafes are brilliant and the Jerk Chicken is cooked traditionally and tastes Amazing.
Great, could not do enough for you even with the no tipping policy (which makes life so much simpler). You get out of it what you put in - as I think they did treat customers better who were easy going, willing to have a chat and showed their appreciation. Natasha at the beach bar and Jovian at the Palms were just lovely people!
Sports & Activities
This place is heaven for sports and activities nuts. Again the standard of the AI is incredible. Included for free : Scuba Diving if you are certified, catamaran cruise, snorkling trips, water skiing, sailing (on mini catamarans) and Wind Surfing (lessons available for both), kayaking, paddle boards... I should mention that my husband thought the Scuba was great, saw a reef shark, turtle and lots of fish. Was also very safe and organised. Don't forget your PADI card!
At the sports centre across the Road you can play tennis, squash do laps in the lap pool, go to Yoga and salsa classes, do circuit courses, There's a decent gym... I am sure there is more... The bar provides sports drinks by the bottle and healthy smoothies (wheat germ etc)
Much better than expected. During the day you could join in or be left to your own devices, nobody ever hassles you. There are random things like basket weaving and couples massage classes which were not for us, but seemed popular ;) In the evening, do not miss the Sing Along piano bar with Ultimate Hot Chocolate (best entertainment ever) every night at 9pm and in the Palms the live bands, entertainers and the Amazing Steel Drum band - don't judge until you hear them interpret LMFAO ;) There is a disco from 11pm until late which was cool too.
So... I guess that covers most things, although there is soo much more I could tell you. I think what I loved most are the little touches (beach bonfires, warm nuts with your Martini etc) and the feeling that everything is "No problem". I don't think I have ever been so thoroughly spoilt and felt so relaxed. There is also a real feeling of romance in the air. There are lots of weddings, honeymooners and couples on Anniversary trips (like ourselves). But it never felt tacky or cheesy.
The resort does not cater for families, or all male or female groups. I would say probably 80% of people were from the US, with a few of us Brits sprinkled in.
Travelled in late April and the weather was definitely mixed. Lots of cloudy days and rain, but also lots of sunshine. It never got cold though !
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Immediately upon entering Couples Swept Away, you realize that you have arrived in paradise. Exotic flowers bloom amidst acres of green—on seven miles of the purest white sand beach in Negril, Jamaica. Dotted among the tropical gardens—open-air cafes, small pool enclaves and fresh fruit oases are yours to discover. Never crowded or hurried, the resort offers an intimate tranquility and when desired, total seclusion. All rooms embrace a quiet elegance with island cedar furnishings and pure white linens. Plantation shutters open onto private verandahs with views of gardens and azure sea. Breezy open-air restaurants engage candle-lit lanterns and billowing white curtains to strike a romantic note. While the pristine 10-acre sports complex encompasses every imaginable activity, the superb spa serves as a haven of relaxation. Couples Swept Away simply captures your heart and soothes your soul. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, HotelQuickly and Agoda so you can book your Couples Swept Away reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Couples Swept Away Negril
- Couples Swept Away Hotel Negril
- Jamaica Couples Swept Away
- Swept Away Resort
- Negril Couples Swept Away
- Swept Away Negril
- Couples Swept Away Jamaica
- Couples Negril