New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

wisconsin
“Almost Perfect!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

Travel Date: 02/25/12 thru 03/03/12, First time to Couples

Let me first start off by saying, I almost cancelled and scheduled another resort. I had such a feeling that I was going to regret our decision to come to CSA, for several reasons. First, I had been following the message boards on the Couples website and ran into some issues with Randymon censoring a lot of peoples posts, including one of my own. He did send me a private email explaining that he didn’t want mention of the private facebook fan pages because he thought they were damaging (these pages were not controlled by Couples, but by the fans who created them). I didn’t think these fan pages were at all damaging, they were created by, maintained by, and contributed to by fans. Sure you always get that one person who can never be pleased and will complain, but I think most people know that and take it with a grain of salt. There were, however recent complaints by repeaters and when this was brought to his attention, he had all the fan pages removed from facebook. This just left a really bad taste in my mouth. I got a strong feeling he was trying to hide something. My 2nd hesitation was the vast amount of repeaters at Couples. It seemed almost like a cult to me. I was worried that since we were first timers, that we would be treated as inferior, both by the guests and the staff (I couldn’t have been MORE wrong about that one). I can say I am so so thankful we decided to stay with our original plans.

Front Desk & Check-In: One of the few complaints you’ll hear from me. These people have absolutely no personality, almost standoffish actually. Not a great 1st impression Couples! I heard many complaints about this during the week from others as well. We had several issues with our keys and had to go back. There’s maybe 2 people working at a time at the most and there always seems to be tons of people there waiting, either to be checked in, or dealing with key issues. One tip: If you have a ground floor room, ask for a patio key. There is a $20 deposit, but at least then you won’t have to go back every day to have your plastic thing rekeyed. Unless of course housekeeping latches the other lock on the patio door after cleaning, this happened several times.

Orientation: Especially if it’s your first time, you should really take the orientation tour. Jodi is wonderful. She’s bubbly and fun and full of information and we met another really great couple we got to see and chat with throughout the week. We found out there’s so much more to do there than you would think. You will be sure to miss out on some fun things if you don’t go simply because you weren’t aware of them.

Rooms: We usually go for Beachfront when we travel, but I am so glad we didn’t this time. The vacation as a whole was a bit of a splurge for us, so we didn’t want to spend the extra money. We met some friends who had a Beachfront and they invited us up to their room/patio to look and have drinks. Their room was smaller and there was a constant stream of people walking in front of their room all day and night. No privacy at all, and they were even on the upper level. We booked Atrium. Our room was in building 26, which was the center of the resort. It was wonderful. The patio was almost as big as our room. I was nervous about the privacy with the lack of glass on the windows. But any “falling in love all over again” noises were drowned out by the sound of the tree frogs. They were SO LOUD! I’m one who has to have a TV on to fall asleep, so given that there’s no TV’s in these rooms, the tree frogs became my “TV” and I LOVED it! My husband even recorded them on his i-phone so I would have them to listen to when we got back home. These rooms are more bungalow/rustic style than a normal hotel, which I thought to be very comfortable and more personal. The mini bar was fully stocked every day. The bathrooms are white tile with white grout and in need of bleaching, but other than that, the room was perfect.

Food: We are not picky eaters. Almost everything we ate was amazing. We were not impressed with Feathers or Lemongrass. Feathers is the upscale restaurant, but the atmosphere is stark white uncomfortable pleather benches, no music and the service was worse than the dress down restaurants. Lemongrass is Thai, which is my all-time favorite food. I did not find it to be at all authentic and we just walked out after 2-1/2 hours and still not given the dessert menu. Patois was the best. The food was amazing, as was the atmosphere and service. The portions are small (normal size), which is not something we’re used to in WI. Here an appetizer is the size of most peoples meals, so the 1st day we made the mistake of only ordering an entrée, nothing else. These meals are designed to be at least 4 courses. So we left hungry, but no worries, we just went right over to Palms and ate again. Seagrapes was our favorite. Fresh and healthy. The best sweet potato chips, and sushi of all things. Not something you’d expect to find in Jamaica, but was fantastic. They also had wonderful cappuccinos.

Beach: Beyond amazing. Clean clear sand and water. We did not want to stoop to the chair reserving game that we’ve heard so much about so we were left without one on the first day. I’m ok with laying in the sand, but I really missed the floaty part, so every day after we went out and reserved our chairs. One day we didn’t get out until 9 and really had to search and pull from the pool area. I think this would only be an issue during busy season. The resort was at full capacity, although never seemed overly crowded.

Rating: I can’t give it a 5 star because of the price. It was too high I thought, although we went at peak season. And, they need to set up some package pricing on their photographs. $20 each is unreasonable and I think if they had package deals, they would sell a lot more. Also, I do not like having to make reservations while on vacation and everything here is by reservation. I could understand reservations needing to be made during slow season when they are unsure if something will fill up, but everything fills up during peak season, so I don’t think it’s necessary.

Conclusion: : I am not one to repeat a vacation. I think there are just too many places to try. Exceptions will be made in this case. I wish the Couples brand had a “family” division as well. We can’t return next year because next year will be a vacation with kids. I can say with certainty that when we return to Jamaica, I will be staying at Couples. It is truly as close to perfection as I have found yet on a vacation!

Room Tip: Don't bother with the extra cost of Beachfront if privacy and intimacy is what you're lookin...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank westonsmom
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,338)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Tampa, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

My husband and I traveled here March 1st-4th for a quick "babymoon" getaway. We had called the night before to request a room not facing the road, since both my husband and I are sensitive to noise. We were guaranteed that. Upon arrival, the front desk attendant assured us our room was not facing the road said no other rooms were available anyway since the hotel was sold out. (room 2206) We got to the room and the whole window behind the bed was open to the road..We could hear every honk, splash, (it was raining) and engine over the TV. We called down to see if we could get a different room and was told "sure". (Wondering why the check in person lied to us saying no other room was available) We then changed rooms, with tolerable road noise. Then another story..after checking in we went to make dinner reservations. She told us they were all booked up. We told her we were only there 3 nights and would like to have at least one night to eat in a nice restaurant (especially since we pre-paid for it). She said "no problem" then and booked us for 7:30 at Lemongrass the same night. So, we go to dinner and they have no record of our reservation. At this point, my husband is really mad since they have been not truthful to us since arrival. We get to talk to a night duty manager who has no power and does nothing but tell us it is our fault. This was our first night experience..wasted. The next two days were better. The beach and ocean is great. You do have to get up early though to reserve a seat and hope that smokers or loud talkers don't sit near you. The food was great too. We really enjoyed the vegetarian restaurant with the sushi and sweet potatoes chips at lunch. We left on a bad note, however, when a waitress was very rude about me drinking a cup of coffee at breakfast. She didn't even want to serve it to me b/c I am pregnant. Overall, would be a great vacation if the staff was honest and truly cared about the guest experience. Would not return here for sure!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank KIKI1028
Saskatoon, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

My husband and I returned from a week at this resort. The resort is smaller than some huge chains (Iberostar, Riu), which in my opinion is an asset. The overall layout of the hotel is fantastic (best of the all inclusives we have been to). The food is excellent, every restaurant and every meal exceeded our expectations. The menus did change while we were there, so you never get tired of the options.

The entertainment is also top notch. The shows they put on are very high quality and it isn't the beach staff lip-synching at night, which is what you typically get.

Our room was right on the beach (1229) and it was an atrium suite (no TV). From reading other reviews and looking on their website we weren't expecting modern decor, but you really feel like you are in a tropical destination with the wood decor. Aside from having far less patio furniture than everyone else and quite a few bugs in the room, we had no issues with the room at all.

Some people have commented on the age groups at the resort and I would say there is a wide variety. It is not a party hotel, although there were a couple of larger wedding groups that did party a bit (didn't bother us) while we were there, but overall it is a much more relaxed vibe. If you want to go party hard 24/7 this probably isn't the resort for you.

Now for the best part...the beach. The sand is white and soft, but what is better is the length of the beach and the entire swimming area is all sand. It is like swimming in an ocean pool! The water is crystal clear (unless the waves/wind come up). The watersports are great! We took advantage of many of them. Added inclusions of the catamaran, snorkeling, watersports, glass bottom boat and tons of fitness classes are what make this resort worth the extra money. We saw several other resorts there on that part of the beach at Couples had by far the best beach in terms of length, depth and swimming area of any resort!

Some of the staff were a little snarky at times and there were a few times where we were waiting in line for 15 mins to get a table, but that was only a couple of times and most of the time at a restaurant at home there is a small wait involved.

Overall, I would give the hotel a 4.5 star rating. A few small decor/colour changes would make the resort feel more luxurious in my opinion. We would consider returning to this resort because of the great food and beach!

Pros: BEACH!, included extras, food and drink choices, extensive fitness facilities, entertainment.

Cons: Decor of the main areas, some occasional waiting for tables and poor service, but overall it was usually good service.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank canadiantravel09
Bournemouth
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at CSA for 2 weeks and it was absolutely fantastic. We had our wedding on the beach at CSA and it really was everything we wanted and more. Our wedding co ordinator, alysha was so lovely and managed to accomodate all our wishes and it all went very smoothly and every detail was carefully thought of, like the flowers, cake and the music. So thanks alysha for your hard work!!

The beach at the hotel was the best beach I have ever seen and the security on the beach made it very safe to leave your belongings there if you go off for lunch or whatever. The watersports were great, we went snorkelling, went on the sunset cruise and took a mini cat out, all of which are included in the all in package.

The food at the hotel is really good too! We tool advantage of feathers 3 times and lemongrass twice, both were excellent and I would say the food and service are on par with some top restuarants in the uk. Patois was lovely too if you want al a carte but can't be bothered to book lemongrass on feathers and the buffet at the palms was also pretty good too, amazing desserts!

The pools at the hotel aren't massive but the sea is warmer and much nicer to swim in anyway but if you do want to go for a good swim then I would recomend the lap pool in the sports complex which was also great, really relaxing over there.

The staff at the hotel really did make the holiday extra special, ruel and Natasha at the pool bar are so cool and get a few games going, and they are exceptionally good at the jobs! Everyone is so polite and friendly, and everything is no problem mon!

The only negative thing is that they do have photographers going round at day and night to take professional pics which you can purchase, they are $20 EACH! I personally think that is a complete rip off and way too expensive. My parents wanted to purchase about 16 pics but the hotel were not willing to work out a package deal so they didn't buy any in the end, so they hotel and guests lost out. I would strongly recommend they take a look at their prices as I didn't buy any either other than the 24 that were already included in the wedding package we bought.

I would like to add that the negative reviews really are not accurate and some people really cannot be pleased, I don't see how anyone staying here could not enjoy themselves. I really believe that a holiday is what you make it and i think that some things just need to be taken with a pinch of salt, so please don't let the negative reviews put you off going to this fabulous place!!!

• Stayed February 2012
4 Thank MelissaD87
Burntwood, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 March 2012

We have just got back from having our wedding at this fantastic hotel. It was a truly perfect day & we wouldnt have changed one thing about it. The wedding team made our day exactly how we wanted it to be with no stress involved. Nothing is to much trouble & all of the staff at this hotel make you feel that you are the most important people in the world. The lay out of the hotel is lovely with a real jungle feel to it & the beach is pure paradise. I really dont understand the bad reviews on here as I would recommend CSA to anyone especially anyone thinking about getting married there. We will definitely be returning.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Anna_W_1267
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
3.9 km away
7.2 km away
The Caves
The Caves
#2 of 84 in Negril

Been to Couples Swept Away? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK