“Friendly Staff”

Ranked #22 of 115 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Price range: US$ 5 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Indian, Grill
Reviewed 25 September 2017

Loved the food and the young lady who served us was amazing. She was very knowledgable of every dish

Reviewed 19 September 2017

Dined Tuesday, August 29, 2017, 8:30 pm reservations

First off, let me say that my wife and I know and enjoy our Indian food. We have eaten Indian cuisine all over the US and the world (CA, Boston, Honolulu, Montreal, Paris, Madrid, Sydney, Athens, London, Dublin, Edinburgh, Berlin, Saigon, Belize City, and even Viking and Carnival cruise lines, among others. Most great, some good, some fair). We make a point in finding an Indian restaurant wherever we travel, so we do know what we enjoy.

FYI, my favorite Indian meal was at Manjit's in Sydney. Very high dollar, but amazing food and personalized service! And the Indian meal in Saigon was an amazing value! A meal that would cost $80-90 in Los Angeles was $22 after tax in Vietnam. So delicious, too!

The food at Taste of India was actually quite tasty and compares very favorably to Indian cuisine around the world. We enjoyed the minced meat naan, vegetable korma, chicken tikka masala, rice, and paneer dish that turned out to be the wrong item.

The bad experience began before we arrived. Our BnB, the Blue House, had arranged a "complimentary" round trip shuttle into town for us to be picked up at 8:00 for dinner. Well, at 8:10, the shuttle had not arrived, so we asked Blue House staff to confirm our ride. That was where the trouble began! Apparently, the Taste of India's primary shuttle driver was out of town that evening. Their back up driver "apparently" had car trouble, but didn't bother to let anyone know, so now Elise at Blue House had to scramble, last moment, to arrange our ride there. Elise called a local driver and personally handed us $15 USD to cover the fare to Taste of India. She mentioned that she had spoken to a manager at Taste and that they would provide us a ride back to the Blue House after our meal. The plot thickens...

So we arrive at approximately 8:45 and we are seated. There appears to be no one else dining inside the restaurant, but perhaps a few people doing so in the outdoor/cabana style dining area. I only see two manger-types and our server, a local young lady. We place our order of the items mentioned above and go about a substantial wait, even by Indian restaurant standards! Our food eventually arrives, minus any basmati rice. First off, we had ordered palak paneeer, which is one of regular favorites. Instead, we were served a paneer dish in what appeared to be a light red masala curry. It was good, but it was not what we ordered. Now, perhaps, there was a miscommunication. It happens. Maybe I pointed at the wrong item or misspoke. I would have been ok with this, but when all of our curries are on the table waiting...waiting...waiting...getting cold...waiting...waiting for some basmati rice. The server lady gets an attitude with me and says that we didn't order any rice. WRONG! You even repeated after me "plain basmati rice."

So this now leads me to believe that, indeed was YOU F*d up with the palak paneer order! If you screw up a simple rice order (after repeating it back to me), then your have lost credibility and YOU likely screwed up the order. All the while, she has an attitude that we were in the wrong. Oh, well.

So after waiting 10 to 15 minutes for our rice to finally arrive, so we can eat, THEN the manager-type decides to ask if everything is all right. Little late, buddy!

When the basmati finally arrives, we dig in. Again, the food is quite good and compared very well to Indian all over. But with the shuttle fiasco, order screw up, attitude from waitress, and laissez-faire attitude from management, this experience of this anticipated meal is going downhill faster than a fat woman falling down Dunn's River Falls!

We finish up, and get our leftovers boxed to go. Waiting to settle our bill, no one pays us any mind for 20 minutes. Finally, I get up to find our waitress to get our check and arrange our ride home. The inside restaurant was deserted by staff, and I had to find our server with a tray of food heading outside, to let her know we would like to settle and get our ride arranged. With a bit of a flustered attitude, she says she will be right there. Again, after having to wait, then flag down someone, the same manager type asks me if everything is ok. I say, no, not really, but your lone server is taking care of it.

Bill is paid. Food was very good but the experience was so bad and so amateur hour that we leave no tip. The server flipping blame wrongly onto us cost her our ordinarily generous tip! It's a good thing, because how would we know we would need the cash in just a little bit?

We end up waiting for bout 20 minutes for the "complimentary" shuttle home to arrive, and the Taste staff are as efficient as the Keystone Cops on LSD. The same manager type tells the shuttle driver to take us to the Blue Hole....Yes, I heard that accurately! He tells the shuttle driver to the BLUE HOLE...at 10:00 PM??? I quickly correct the drive and tell him the BLUE HOUSE, which is across the street from Couples San Souci! I have no way of knowing is this was intended to be malicious or simply more Keystone Cops, but guess what? Sure enough, the driver wasn't paid by Taste, so we personally forked over $15 to the driver for our ride. Good thing we saved our tip money! Elise went above and beyond to rectify her end of the shuttle SNAFU, but Taste of India did their finest to sabotage even that!

Sad, because the food was solid. The vegetable korma was one of the best we have tried anywhere. The two banana lassi I had were great. The rest was quite good besides the paneer dish I'm now convinced the waitress screwed up, which was ok. And Palak paneer is clearly featured in the menu, as well.

Reviewed 13 September 2017

Tasty Indian food and place looks clean and calm without much crowd., Good place to enjoy with friends and family. Food and the cost for it is most reasonable.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Excellent indian cuisine, very large space and located in a safe place. The owner is very friendly and cordial. The service is five stars mainly with Sash that made feel US, as kings

1  Thank FilibertoAPB
Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

It was our last night in ocho rios and we decided as a family to go for a curry. We chose taste of India but this was a mistake, from the get go the waitress was completely clueless and had no idea of the food on the menu. Service was extremely slow over a 40 minute wait even though there were only 6 other customers. Furthermore, asking for some curry sauce on the side became a huge problem and took an extra 15 minutes to come. The staff had zero interest in the customers with them all engaged on their mobiles phones instead of the paying customers (as you can see in the picture). Complete lack of atmosphere, no music which is very strange, all we could hear were the crickets (and I'm not referring to buddy holly and the crickets!).
To be fair the manager did come over to ask how everything was at the end, however he showed no interest when we expressed our dissatisfaction.
Overall a very disappointing end to our final night in ocho rios.

2  Thank cocoablush