“Great family hotel”

Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Ottawa, Canada
“Great family hotel”
Reviewed 27 June 2012

Second trip to Jamaica and will return!

We took our kids (8 and 10) this past March break to Rui Ocho Rios . Our booking was for a regular room (2 queen beds), garden/mountain view and were upgraded to a family (1 double, 1 king) with partial ocean view at no additional charge. Our room was very clean, comfortable beds, no AC problems, no small critters or foul smells whatsoever. The overall hotel feal was a 4*, with exellent service, and friendly staff. anywhere you went on the property, someone was cleaning something.....Their was a large variety of food @ every restaurant. We would have like to have more options in the "a la carte" bookings, they get full very fast and we only managed to get into 2 out of 4. The kids LOVED the entertainment (riu club), music and the shows. I must say that this Rui's night life / shows are the best I have seen in the past few years. The beach was a little crowded, but you could still find empty chairs.

Our main excursion was the Dunn's River Falls/ catamaran boat ride with snorkling, an absolute must! The climb is challanging for adults, if children are taken, I suggest taking the stairs to the top. This detail was ommited when we purchased the excursion..... The kids enjoyed the snorkling the most, trying to be the first to find nemo.

All in all, I would go back to this location no problem. I'm recommending to everyone I talk to!

Room Tip: I don't think this hotel has a bad view, don't splurge for the ocean view most rooms have a...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Julie S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,089)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Kansas City, Missouri
Reviewed 27 June 2012

I celebrated my 50th birthday here June 20-24. The ride from the hotel was SCARY, but we arrived safely! Our check in did not go smoothly, we had 5 rooms reserved , they only had 4 we had to wait over an hour to get the 5th room approved even though it was prepaid and she was put in the older part away from the group. The Hotel is clean and they do take care of the property, BUT, my daughter had roaches in her room, I had bed bugs ,I have 3 nice bites, . I had a birthday cake that the hotel sent up. the next morning ants were all over it!!!!!

My room was 1205, overlooking the stage, YOU CAN NOT GO TO SLEP EARLY! The music sounds like you are on stage with them, so rerequest the back part overlooking the pool its a lot quieter. My fridge stopped cooling, they sent maintenance up but he told me the maids need to clean the defrost and left. Therefore for my last 2 days my drinks were warm. The maid whom I never saw kept the room clean although it was never messy, and she replaced the towels. The servers were always polite in the buffet.

The food at the buffet is just ok. The chicken jerk shack was the best meal! We couldnt get reservations for any of the speciality resturants

The entertainment was silly, and I would not take children with the exception of the Michael Jackson Show , it was very good! You might want to bring cards , board games etc. also if you are not a smoker you will be seriously irritated by all the smokers at the night entertainment!!!!

We did the zipline and tubing excursion, that was a lot of fun, go with JTL ask for Stacy she was a sweet heart. We did a city tour with this company and we had our own private bus and got to go shopping it was nice as well. YOU DONT WANT TO GO TO THE MARKET AND SHOP SKETCHHHHHY PLACE!

oH AND THE RESORT IS A BRIGHT LAVENDER, LOOKS NOTHING LIKE THE PIC!

I had a good time inspite of a few things because I was with my family. Would I stay at the Riu again , PROBABLY NOT!

Room Tip: the suites are better just ask for the pool side,also they have a microwave in the sports bar , brin...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank CARLAES
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2012

The brand of RIU never seems to disappoint. They have good entertainment, amazing variety of food. The only thing is I found it busy everywhere you go.

Great location! Beautiful weather and landscape. Remember to bring water shoes with you, there's coral reefs so you can easily step on things near the shore.

Good wind but not enough sand and depth for kiteboarding for beginners.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Mila Y
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 27 June 2012

This was a belated birthday trip for my husband. Before leaving home we read hundreds of reviews and were surprised at the mix of reviews. This is what we thought. The hotel itself was beautiful. Everyone there, from reception to cleaning staff were very helpful, courteous, and gracious. Our room was kept very clean; no bugs or inferior linen as we read in other reviews. The fridge and mini bar in our room was serviced every two days or earlier if we requested. We ate at several restaurants in the hotel and every one was wonderful. The entertainment staff was truly awesome. We met several other couples there--from Texas, England, and Bermuda. One of the things we did was hire a personal shopping tour guide. He picked us up at the hotel. He took us where ever we asked, helped us find the best bargains on souvenirs, told us history and traditions of the country and was a wonderful and friendly person. He only charged $30 dollars american for the two of us. Well worth it. His name is Richard Brooks and you can find him online at Excursion Ocho Rios. Believe me, you won't be disappointed. Overall, we had a wonderful first visit to Jamaica and will most likely go again.

Room Tip: The ocean view rooms were a long walk from the lobby and restaurants and entertainment. Also, the be...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Nanci484
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2012

With all the amazing tropical destinations to travel to why would you go back to Jamaica? I'll go through it really quick so I don't waste to much of your time.
Got to Jamaica - airport employees broke into our bag, stole our tsa lock and went through all of our stuff to find something to steal. They stole cologne and perfume.... Locals at the hotel let us know that this is normal behavior at the Jamaican airport.
We booked Ocean front ... Got the right room .. Ordered a king bed... Got two doubles... Water sprayed out of the broken shower head sideways. The second night in the hotel the shower ceiling had a busted pipe and it was starting to flood our bathroom. So they moved us right away.... Only they were out of ocean front junior suites so they tried to say one of the ocean view rooms was ocean front... So I had to fight with them and tell them they were not downgrading us. They tried to get us to stay in there one night then they would move us the next night..I refused! So they upgraded us to a ocean front suite..it was awesome. Except for the ants in the room. But after being in 3 different rooms and then one more after getting delayed an extra day I realized ANTS in the rooms in this hotel are normal!!!!!
Oh and I forgot to mention the maid stole from me the last day we were in the suite.... My face lotion it was brand new aveeno.
My advise lock up your stuff in the room if you want to be sure to keep it.
Food was fresh, good, a lot of selection!! Riu Palaces have amazing food!!!! Way better then Club Hotel. I really like Riu's but I would not return to this one.
We brought a lot of money to tip, so make sure you do too since its not appreciated it's expected!!
Went to Sandals Negril last year in September for our honeymoon and it was horrible!!! Cockroach's in the rooms, food was disgusting!!!! So 2 not so great trips to Jamaica and I'll go back to Mexico for the same price!
Hope this helps.

123.8 km away
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 85 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK