“Great property! Good vacation! Very few complaints!”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Corsicana, Texas
“Great property! Good vacation! Very few complaints!”
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Almost 2 hr ride from airport but the ride was good with air and a funny driver who entertained and told us about things as we passed them. Scenic drive went by fast.

When we arrived at noon was told no rooms ready until 3pm but could check back in hour and I did. We toured property on our own while waiting but after 1 hr room was ready but luggage was still in lobby and took over 30 minutes to get there, I was ready to unpack and get started on vacay. Bldg 2 5th floor 3509 was a great room Kig Sz Bed, sitting area, middle area with frig and alcohol dispenser and closet then a nice bathroom with double sinks and shower tub in marble and granite. Nice woods in room, older TV, satellite cable. Maid will only clean if u put sign on door. She did a good job of keeping it clean. Nice view from patio of ocean and pool and pond in middle of resort.

Wasnt big on eating at the theme restaurants but did eat at the steakhouse one night. you have to get ur own salad and deserts, They only bring your entree and drinks to you. Not bad but nothing to brag about either. The daily buffets are the best becase of the large variety. there is soomething there for every one, meat people, veggie and fruit ppl and sweets! Lots to choose from, They change it a little every night and theb had mexican night and asian night one night. The waitresses and waiters were nice. I liked ice tea and they always made me some and brought sugar. Bar drinks were good mostly, depends on which bartender you got. Only encountered two rude ones at the swim up bar on activity side as far as the were very nice. On show nights it took too long to get a drink and u didnt want to leave your seat or some one would get it. I cant say enough about the entertainment group!! They were totally awesome. Me and my husband went on this 8 day trip. We enjoyed the activities on the beach (even tho im paying for it now with an ankle brace on :( ) The activity pool stuff was fun. The did great. The night time shows are worth seeing. they can dance like crazy and it is very obvious they work hard at what they do, 007 hilarious! Peacock too! I LOVED the Michael Jackson show. I thought he had come back from the dead as how real as that was! Great Job! The lots of walking wears you out so if you have the stamina to walk a big resort then i say go for it but if you have some orthopedic issues with feet and back then this might not be for you,

We was in 2nd bldg 5th floor with beautiful view of mountains on front door and ocean on patio and close to elevator, but a large ramp/incline to get up it. Shower water pressure was horrible. I need higher pressure to get soap out of my thick hair. at 3 it would be hardly any hotwater at all because everybody was leaving pool to go take showersfor dinner so then no pressure and no water. take it earlier or later. no problems with bugs. i dont see how these other ppl are so picky, however will tell you his, I dont tip extra and didnt get treated any differently! Everyone was nice. When you pay for your trip the gratuities are included and it makes me made that obviously are rich and can afford to to make others look like their cheap but when you save for a trip that states it covers everything,,,that how it should stay!

We went to Dunn's rivers Falls, Unfortunately i couldnt climb because of my ankle and back but my husband did. it was beautiful, you can walk the 110 stairs alongside and watch on the sides then step in on the sides to take a dp in the water, A must see!

Room Tip: if u dont want by activity pool tell them not to put you there, same for the entertainment stage,
2 Thank Tammy C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,089)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Missouri
Reviewed 17 June 2012

Travel with applevacations from St. Louis

Upon arrival we were put in room 3434 building 3 and it was the furthest from an elevator. To long of a walk for my husband. So they did move us to the building 2 room 2124. Not as good views as first room but closer to pool and restaurants and elevator. New rooms door was broke and I actually got locked in the room. Had to call and they came within 15 minutes to take door knob and lock both off and back on. Did not like the dealing with the old door keys, key cards so much easier.

Very slow to clean rooms and last night there I called once and waited and then finally went to front desk in person after 7 pm to complain room was still not cleaned. I had noticed some dirty spots on the sheets and wanted the bedding changed. I realize now that it was from the bed bugs.

My husband had bites all over his legs and I have a few on my stomach. We have never experienced them before but did some research after we to back and now know for sure. Been home a week and still itching! Apparently this was an issue for others last year at this resort. Just hope that none have traveled back with us!

Other than that. Food was great at buffets and jerk hut was fab!

Snorkeling from resort was ok. Pools were nice.

Shopping trip to ocho rios was a not worth the $22. Should be free.

Dunns river tour is just a touristy trap.

Mystic mountain sort of a joke. Says unlimited rides on bobsled but it's really $20 extra for each additional ride. Pool there was sad. Not worth it. Save your money and go to Xplor or Xel-ha in Mexico.

Ride to and from airport is wayyyyy to long. Plenty of time to shop at airport cause your dropped off super early.

This was our third trip to Jamaica. First time in ocho rios. Most likely will not go back. Service so much better in Mexico.

2 Thank Janalily
Reviewed 16 June 2012

It is a really fun place! Usually I find the all inclusive hotels activities a little bit silly. Nevertheless the Jamaican are so full of joy that you want to join then in the silly jokes!!! I had the best time and plain to came back as soon as I can!
The beach party at night was great, try to dance like the Jamaicans! Lots of fun!
The big pool is too croweded and I dont like all the people drinking inside it. I really prefer the beach, the sea was great to swin and it is freshier on the sand with the wonderful breeze!

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank Betinhalves
Brooklyn, New York, United States
Reviewed 16 June 2012

I loved this place I didn’t want to leave. My husband and I stayed here from June 9, 2012 to June 13, 2012.
First of all the resort is beautiful and clean. The beach is lovely (but man made ofcourse) and they have lots of chairs and towels available There are 2 pools, The pools on the deluze wing side is much more quiet. Both nice with swim up bars. \
. The ride from the airport is a good 1 ½ hours but I enjoyed the scenery.
With some slight improvement on the food and drinks, I would have given a perfect rating. I would come back for sure.
The room
No complaints, I had a nice ocean view. The bed were not the softest but we slept well. The room was clean, No AC or Hot water issues at all. The refridgerator comes stocked with water, red stripe and coca cola soda.
The Food
You’d never go hungry.
The food could be a better at this resort especially the buffets. There are 2 buffets the St. Ann (Breakfast and Dinner) and Plantation (Lunch). There some things that were straight up disgusting like the crab cakes. I don’t think there was any crab in it at all. It tasted like a sponge but the curry chicken, stew chicken, and curry pasta with shrimp and mussels were delicious.
My husband and I only eat seafood and chicken so I can’t speak for the other stuff. The breakfast stuff was good,
The Jerk hut at the beach is excellent. My husband ate this everyday were there. The Jerk Chicken with rice and peas is great.
We made reservations at Sir Richard Gourmet, Mandalay and the Mammee Bay.
The Sir Richard food was great. Make a reservation there if you can. Seafood with couscous, crab bisque soup, stuffed chicken and the crepes with vanilla ice cream…loved it. Mandalay is really a buffet and was not authentic Asian at all. You could do without it. The Mammee Bay was ok, nothing special. I had the snapper. Good but on the dry side. The three sauces that came with it were bland.
Don’t be discouraged most of the food is decent here overall.
The Drinks
The drinks from alcohol to soda to the juice….all watered down. Don’t expect much in this area.
The Entertainment
The entertainment staff were AMAZING. I loved the fire show. My husband was chosen to participate and it was the funniest thing ever! The steel band was great too. They also play games at the main pool and it was also hilarious. They work really hard and it showed. I enjoyed the nightclub Pacha also.
The Staff
I was amazed at how nice the staff were. The cooks, cleaning staff, waiters, and bartenders were also pleasant and professional. They always greeted us. They didn’t expect a tip and when you gave a tip they were grateful. I don’t know what the other reviewer was talking about with the bartenders. They were great, many times they re-uped my cup without me even asking. I don’t even know how they remember what I had with so many people.
Also,
There is no really casino here, just a couple of slot machines in a little room. The same for the gym just a couple machines but who wants to work out on vacation?
I did enjoy watching game 1 of the NBA finals at the sports bar. The bartenders were just as into the game as we were, the atmosphere was great! It’s not big but it worked
The one thing I must say bothered me at the resort was the elevators in the 3000 wing. They are dark, small and musty smelling. I think they could do better. PLEASE. Everything else is so beautiful it doesn’t make sense.

3 Thank Tanya M
Knoxville
Reviewed 15 June 2012

Riu Ocho Rios was absolutely awesome!! We had a suite and two teenagers had a jr. suite next door to us right over the 'chapel' on the beach.
We were married here and Keisha was excellent and we had to do nothing except get ourselves ready and show up on the sand. I highly recommend Best Images (Michael) as photographer. They have an office on the resort grounds and he was excellent AND fun.

I have to say we did not tip anyone except for our housekeeper because we never carried cash with us. We NEVER felt treated any different and was always served IMMEDIATELY. The staff would stop by to chat and 'play' with us and were never given a cent. The food was incredible and we miss it terribly.

There were always chairs available at the beach and at the pool anytime of day.

We will def. be returning and will recommend to all! If you have specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Room Tip: Suite 1261 and Jr. Suite 1262
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
123.8 km away
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 85 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK