“What can you really Complain about!!”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Dallas, Pennsylvania
“What can you really Complain about!!”
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My husband and I stayed here and LOVED every min. of it! I like to call this "Real" Jamaica the staff was the best I have ever delt with!! They are wonderful people full of life and energy! Always smiling,singing,dancing and everything in between. The beach was perfect in every way. The water was blue and warm the sand was like baby powder. We never had a problem getting a beach/pool chair EVER. The resort is the perfect size not to big but not to small,from our room to the lobby to breakfast was a 3 min walk..from breakfat to the pool ..well breakfast is served right next to the pool with a great morning view of the beach,from breakfat to the beach was a whole minute if that!! The food was what is expected of an All Inclusive somethings were amazing and some not so much!!
People seem to forget they are in the caribbean its going to be different from the states or any where else! The staff will bendover backwards to please you, the pool bar did get "crazy" at times which was good fun! Im not much of a party person and I enjoyed it, but I did enjoy my naps on the beach just as much! The rooms were just fine! Clean,big and accomadating.No problems there!
I know people will complain about anything, but come on you are in a beautiful part of the world enjoy it for what it is and what it offers,of course people will try to sell you "things" but a kind no thank goes along way.. my husband and I did enjoy when they didtried to sell things(which was really only the first day)! We were there to experience Jamaica and all it had to offer and was just another part of it! Its an adventure into another way of life enjoy it! If you want your bed and the food you are used too,and the life you are used too STAY home!!
Another thing is they are not your servents, and $1.00 goes along way.I saw people get ignored at the bars and crappy service else where. But my drink never went dry, I would be half way through the pool and my drink would be waiting for me with a smile! But I never treated them as my servents or expected them to be, being friendly with them,talking with them,saying hello means the world to them! For a week we spent about $100 on tips.
Jamaica is a wonderful place full of wonderful people! This resort has everything and then some!Love it..My home away from home!! Thank you Riu

Room Tip: We stayed in the standard room overlooking the pool with part oceanview,Perfect!! We had friends sta...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
10 Thank tropicallove23
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Denton
Reviewed 26 April 2012

My wife and I traveled to Riu Ocho Rios as part of a group attending a wedding. We were there from April 18th through the 23rd. I have been to several ocean resorts and have grown quite accustomed to certain things. I will say this about Riu. The overall environment was great. The entertainment staff was excellent as was the cleaning and service staff. The food was ok...but they had a lot of people to serve and I would have expected nothing less than buffet style for this resort size and price. If you are commenting on food in this price range..you should investigate a different price point for your next trip. You get what you pay for when it comes to resorts and food. For an inexpensive place to get away, I would say we enjoyed ourselves. If you are looking for a great, inexpensive place to stay with a nice staff and nice rooms, this is your place

Room Tip: Most people will get upgraded automatically as the resort is almost always booked and they really wa...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Scott D
Hartford
Reviewed 26 April 2012

I was very pumped up about this particular trip because it was my husband's first time to our beautiful island. We arrived on 04/14th ,raining but very excited to be "HOME". The hotel is very beautiful inside and out but the service I received from the front desk staff and the manager that was on duty when we checked in, is nothing to talk about. After we checked in and was on our way to the room, I slipped and fell before entering the elevator because the floor was wet and there was no warning sign in place. The front desk personnel and another worker saw what happened and did not come over to offer their assistance or to find out if I was ok, neither did they report it to the manager on duty. When I asked to speak with the manager on duty she blatantly told me that it was not their liability. I had to pay $30 for two pain killers and an ace bandage for my knee because I was in so much pain and they would not give me the pain killers without me paying. My husband was astonished!!! The room attendants were great, the buffet was good but the restaurant that we ate at was horrible!!!! This hotel was a recommendation, so It must be that you get different quality service depending on the time of day and who is in charge. I would NEVER recommend it or return to it for fear that the service is going to be the same or worst. They certainly will be hearing from my lawyer again!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carleth H
NB
Reviewed 26 April 2012

March, 2012 --As this was our 1st "All Inclusive Trip" south ( alone ) -most everyone said to start with Jamaica.... they were right , it was Spectacular! Everything was terrific from the moment we boarded the plane. People were so friendly, food was great, hotel and grounds- amazing!...Room was waaay below the standard of what we were told -from our travel agent to friends.
Upon arrival to our ROOM, the "unlimited liquor dispensers" had 1 shot of Appleton rum and 1 shot of Vodka left, bathroom had 2 wires hanging out of the wall where the hairdryer SHOULD have been, extra blanket in the closet -DIRTY, 2 ice machines in hotel and the one next to us not working - other GUESTS told us we had to go all the way to the 5th floor to get ice! and this was just the beginning of our stay! UGH!
The next day (Mon.) we left a tip in the mini fridge for re-stocking - TIP GONE - Dispensers still not refilled!! NOTE: they only restock every 2nd day!! Not impressed, needless to say. Tuesday we expected things to be filled ...water & pop in fridge were taken care of -BUT STILL NOT THE "UNLIMITED DISPENSERS"!! We gave them the benefit of the doubt , thinking they have a lot of rooms to do..realizing by 8 pm it wasn’t to be done AGAIN and finally having had enough, we phoned the desk Tues. evening to let them know.. Took our complaints about everything we encountered, room #, etc. and explained that it would definitely all be taken care of 1st thing in the morning ( Wed.). We waited most of the day - spoke to a "manager" in one of the restaurants while we dined and he made a note of the liquor issue in our room. Went on an excursion and upon arrival to our room , ONLY THE APPLETONS (not the Vodka) WAS RESTOCKED!! None of our other issues were taken care of...I phoned the front desk AGAIN- very frustrated- and told them how unhappy we were with the Service to our room. Lady said there was no record of all of our complaints, except the rum! I couldn't believe it!! I was enraged and told her again what our complaints were and she said they would all be looked after asap.! Returning to our room later that night, most complaints were looked after (but still no Vodka!) What a way to put a damper on our trip - to be spending everyday complaining - and that I didn`t even have a HAIRDRYER, to do my hair for dinner. We knew it was useless to call the front desk again.
All towels we placed in the tub EVERY morning, like in any other hotel, including the little floor mat they fold over the edge of the tub. Went on another excursion Thurs. and came back to find they had taken the FLOOR MAT OUT OF THE DIRTY TOWELS IN THE TUB AND FOLDED IT BACK OVER THE SIDE OF THE TUB..... NOTICING THE MOTH I KILLED WITH IT THE NIGHT BEFORE WAS STILL ON THE BACK OF IT!!!!!!! TO SAY WE WERE DISGUSTED IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT!!!! we were left wondering, did they also take other towels out as well?? AND they REMOVED the extra blanket from our bed - NOT TO BE REPLACED for the duration of our Vacation. What’s up with that?
We also visited several different washrooms all over the Hotel ( @ different times of the day) that had no soap or paper towels and the airdryers didn`t work.. Where`s the cleanliness and sanitation in that?..... we mentioned this to the maintenance personnel, only to observe them do nothing about it ... just continue on their merry way!
Finally. on Fri. there was a note on the ice machine ( from management ) stating it was under repairs and please go to 5th floor OR any BAR to get ice. Couldn`t believe it!!
Upon departure, after the cleaning crew were finished with a room, another crew had a check list to fill out to make sure all was ok. This left me wondering what happened to the checklist to our room before our arrival!!
Alas, this is what WE’VE encountered at the Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica on our VACATION.. and definitely letting everyone we know ( meet ) why we will NEVER AGAIN RETURN TO THIS HOTEL!!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank March2012Nb
nyc
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Before I left for Jamaica, I kept checking back on this site to read the reviews. There were a lot of negative reviews about petty things around the resort, like bugs which is expected when you are on an island. Paint chippings, which yea we saw them too but who cares, do they really bother you all that much? Things floating the pool (such as dead bugs, cups etc.) we saw a few but again who cares, the place is big & at the end of the day all of that stuff is taken care of!!

Firstly, I'd like to address the entertainment team. They were BEYOND amazing. They were always smiling & enjoying themselves. After speaking to an entertainer who told me they all work 14 hr days 6 days out of the week, and they were all still smiling and having fun, i was amazed. Plenty of interaction with the visitors at all times. 007 the main MC was excellent & very funny. Loved is rendition of "Big Bamboo" by the pool. My favorite nights were the Africa themed show & the beach party. RIU has the best entertainment ever.

The food was okay. I felt the quality was good but not too too much to choose from. I went to all 4 a la cartes. My favorite was the Gourmet which filled up fast so you needed to reserve your table asap. I like st. ann's buffet during the day, but at night I felt there wasn't much to choose from. The Piccolo buffet was open late nights if you had munchies which was excellent. Plantation buffet was good at lunch time & is right next to the Jerk Hut which was perfect. All in all, I was satisfied & definitely didn't go hungry this vacation.

Pools/Beach: All beautiful The quiet pool is nice if you want to relax. The louder pool by the plantation buffet was great because that is where the entertainment team hung out & did little shows by the pool. Both pools have swim up bars so you can't avoid the drunkies, but no one was out of control anyway. The beach is gorgeous we took out the peddle boats & sail boats, and it is all free of charge.

The rooms: we stayed in a junior suite and felt it was completely worth it. We had a flat screen tv a king size bed,and a couch with a coffee table. Our bath tub had jacuzzi jets in it which was relaxing. the terrace was bigger than the normal rooms. we could actually stretch our feet out and tan on our terrace which was nice. Oh, and can not forget the in wall liquor dispenser!! My boyfriend loved it!!

Pach Night Club: Fun after the nightly shows if your in the mood to dance. We went every night and had fun.

Sports bar: 24 hrs. Tons of wasted people in there after midnight. I didn't like it at all and tried to avoid it...

All of the staff were amazing. Did not run into anyone who was mean or rude. The drinks were made superbly, the cleaning staff did a good job & we felt safe what more could you ask for. There are people (vendors & even staff) who try to sell you anything and everything and yes including drugs.. you just tell them no and they back off. All over jamaica it was like that, that was my only turn off.

Just go and have fun!! You get what you make of it all!!!

Room Tip: Get the Junior suite, a bit more spacious than the regular room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
19.7 km away
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
0.2 km away
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK