“The facts about Rooms”
Review of Rooms Ocho Rios

Rooms Ocho Rios
Ranked #20 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed 10 July 2012

Checked in 6/30/12. Check in was a breeze, but even though we booked for a king size bed, they said they had no record of that, even though my itinerary showed a king size bed. The rep said they "upgraded" us to a balcony room, so we went with the queen size bed which worked out just fine. They got a worker to help with our bags up to the 3rd floor. As we entered the walk way to go to our room, it was dark, I guess they keep the lights off to conserve energy, but I thought that was odd. Our view was on the beach & the pier where the Carnival Cruise ship came in can be seen in the distance. The ship docked twice while we were there; I think a Tuesday & Thursday. if you're going to any of the excursions (Dunns River, Mystic Mountain or Dolphin Cove,) in the area, try to find out when the ship docks & don't go there that day, so you avoid the crowd. Even when the ship doesn't come in, there's quite a bit of people at these places anyway. The room was clean, as much as a housekeeper could do to keep it clean. HOWEVER, the room was old..very old. It appears this hotel was a great place in its younger days because I can see where the drapes in the room, bedspread & furniture was of fine quality, but they were quite old. The TV was super! Good quality with a wide variety of channels, even premium channels. Some of the light sockets had large gaps around then, & the one in the office area was slightly pulled out the wall. The bathroom needed repairs. The grout looks light they try to keep it clean by re-grouting over old grout, so some parts of the old grout was coming through. The toilet had orange-browinsh hard water stains in it, but it was due to age. The small closet in the bathroom worked fine. It has a safe at the bottom & they showed us how to use it. HOT WATER is hit or miss. Some days you have it, some not. Everytime we called about it, we were told the same thing: "the engineer will be here soon to work on it". My opinion is that whatever hot water heater they have is inadequate & cannot heat the whole hotel at the same time. This didn't bother me as much. 2 days before we left, my husband reached for his towel & it was soken wet, when I looked up, I see a soft-soiled spot on the ceiling. They came & told us that it's the A/C & gave us the option to switch rooms. But we opted to stay since it would be a hassel. They put a small garbage can under it to catch the dripping water. The A/C worked fine & we had to turn it off as it's quite cold at time. The location of the hotel is A+. You're within walking distance of the main road where you'll find supermarkets, restaurants, stores & all the vendors you can think of CAUTION: vendors are verrrry aggressive, go for the stores versus the people on the street or the little flea market, unless you want to be mobbed by several vendors selling you the same thing at the same time. Right by the Burger King, you'll see a strip mall with several stores. FOOD AT THE HOTEL, I give "A" for the continental breakfast, which consisted of muffins, breads, jams, butter, tea, coffee, fruits. HOWEVER, I give a "D or F" for the rest of the food. If you want something else cooked, like a Jamaican breakfast, that's limited or non-existent; they give small portions. Forget about lunch or dinner. I ordered fried chicken one evening & it tasted & looked like re-fried chicken, the next morning, I suspect that they served that for breakfast & called it "stewed chicken". For native Jamaicans, you can forget about getting a traditional Jamaican breakfast (Ackee/Salfish, etc.) For 2 mornings in a row, I got cabbage & saltfish. Then the next 2 days, it was callaloo, which was good, but small portions. If you want authentic Jamaican food, try Mums' or Miss T's, or have someone take you to Percy's. I wouldn't advice you to walk to Percy's by yourself. We were walking to Mum's one morning & this guy latched on to us & told us to try Percy's because Mum's doesn't serve breakfast until later. He walked us down to Percy's on James Avenue & I was scared due to the look of the area. But it turned out good because the food was priced well & was delicious. Of course we had to give him a tip because he was our self-proclaimed "tour guide" & we didn't even realize it. They have a bar & grill by the pool & I hardly see anyone there. Most places like this either have some jerk chicken going or burgers or something, all I see is a guy every now & then & one night I saw some men sitting there drinking beer, but that was it. They have no entertainment. Like Coco La Palm bring in a band once or twice per week & have complimentary drinks..not this place. THE BEACH. Hmmm...not private at all. I don't know how they do this, but locals can pay money to enter the beach from the other end of the beach. The part by Rooms on the Beach is for Rooms guests only though, but the locals are right to your left. Right outside my balcony were benches where the locals have their fun. It didn't bother me too much as mostly were screaming kids which was kind of cute. THE BEACH WATER: not as clear as I had hoped. I was in Negril & the sand is not white like Negril; it's brown, so because of this, the water is not crystal clear. Also, I see more sea weeds than Negril The tide is very low, so there's hardly any shells. This hotel would make much more money if they did the necessary renovations, re-train their staff (especially the women) to be a little more attentive to the customers' needs. One time I had to call my sister who was in the adjoining room & I asked the front desk, which is split in 2 sections. On one side, there was a phone with 4-5 young women. They told me to go on the other side, then the woman on the other side told me to go back to the other side to call upstairs...Odd. Also, they need to have decent food on site so people wouldn't have to leave the hotel. I chose it because I had business in the area & didn't want to go too far out, in terms of location or on price & it worked fine for this purpose. I don't know if I'd stay there again. So A+ on the location & continental breakfast, but C,D & F on everything else.

Room Tip: Ocho Rios is a very old tourist town & you may want to opt for the newer hotels, & maybe an...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
4  Thank missy770
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 June 2012

I went to Ocho Rios for a wedding around Memorial weekend 2012. I didn't want to stay at an all inclusive because I knew I'd be running around a lot so I wouldn't have time to take advantage of the amenities at a resort.

I decided to try Rooms on the beach. After reading the reviews I didn't know what to expect, but my stay was better than some of the reviews let me to believe. My room was a junior suite overlooking the pool with a direct view of the beach. (Lucky me) The room was clean, there were ample towels and the coffee machine in the room was an added bonus. I'm a tea drinker and was glad they supplied Earl Grey, mint and English breakfast teas besides coffee.

The continental breakfast was just that. Toast, pastries, juice, fruit and tea and coffee but they had eggs and other stuff for an additional price. They even had cold cereal for the kids. I paid 5.00 US for scrambled eggs on two mornings, which I think was very reasonable.

I stayed at the hotel for 7 days and had a great time. The staff was very pleasant and helpful. Housekeeping kept me supplied with mounds of fresh towels I told to request beach towels from the guard by the pool. The A/C in my room was great but when I wanted to smell the ocean, I just had to slide the window open. (The whole wall overlooking the pool was a huge sliding glass.)

The beach was beautiful. It’s actually the same beach as the all inclusive Jamaica Grand. Just a fence separates both hotels. Actually, both hotels share the same turn off from Main Street.

If you’re adventurous, there are lots of places to eat on Main Street. Island Grill became my favorite spot. Not far away is a little restaurant called Mom’s or something like that which serves typical Jamaican home cooking - everything from chicken to curry lobster could be found on their menu. There are hustlers in the driveway after you leave the guard's hut, but I pleasantly turned down all offers and was not met with any attitudes.

If you're looking for a clean reasonably priced hotel room for your vacation, I highly recommend this one. If you're like me, and you just want to relax and explore, this is perfect. Tours can be arranges through the hotel, but we had a car so we did our own exploring. Also, just up the beach are jet ski and other rentals.

If you want more than a hotel room and a beach, (there is a bar by the pool), or you're looking for porters, bell boys and such, then this hotel is not for you.

Another wonderful surprise was the email I received from the hotel when I got back to NY. It put a smile on my face to see them taking the time to welcome me back to my home and asking about my stay.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the beach or pool area are a beautiful way to wake up each morning.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Joyce F
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I came back from rooms yesterday after a 2 weeks stay with 2 of my friends and I have to say I don’t know why there are so many bad reviews- This is not a 4* star hotel so why expect four star service.

Arrival: Reached Rooms about 6pm, smooth check-in 3 key cards given, and breakfast and hotel policy explained and it was clearly started that it was continental so pastry’s toast, and juice and fruit this was fine with us as there are many other places to eat in the town of ochi.
Was abit shocked that there was no lift but it was fine it’s not like you have to lift your suitcase up and down the stairs daily and they did get a porter to help but we was already half way up the stairs just wanted to dump our stuff and get on the beach :)

Room: Nice sized 2 double beds and a sofa bed, lamps in working order room did not smell like mould I can’t speak for the other rooms as we didn’t walk around smelling them but other visitors we spoke to didn’t say anything about it, bathroom was a good size with the wardrobe in there but we lived out of our suitcase so this wasn’t an issue. Yes there was no mosquito mesh on the door but that’s what ac is for close your door and keep the ac on ... There was coffee and tea making facilities and a chair and small table that really kept up under the weight of all our drink and girlie things lol :)
Showers, yes sometimes it is just cold water but it’s so hot out there it’s nice to take a cold shower sometimes and yes my only complaint would be when the water went scalding hot but you always knew when that was as one of us would scream out in the shower.

Housekeeping: They was really good with this 3 ladies staying in a room together after nights of partying can get abit messy lol but every day we returned to a spanking fresh room, fresh towels and all of our shoes lined up lol now this might sound trivial but trust me it was them little touches that made us love our house keeper Cherrie.

Hotel: Very clean not once did I see a roach or anything gross anywhere I always saw a guy mopping the floor the hotel is old fashioned but if you want something more modern try one of the more expensive hotels, The pool area was always cleaned so I don’t understand the comments about the pool never being cleaned in all honesty every time I saw the life guard that’s what he was doing was pool cleaning as no one was really using the pool not much need to when you have the huge ocean 2mins from you room.

Restaurant: nice enough cleaned and food was ok we ate burgers and chips though and this is only because it was a quick snack to grab but there was a Jamaican family staying there and they was eating Jamaican food off the menu and they scoffed it all down and believe me coming from Jamaican parentage we would complain if our own food wasn’t cooked to standards..
As for the people complaining about the stray cat’s errm the clues in the title they are "stray" lol I saw the porters trying to shoo them away but there’s nothing unless they could invent under floor zappers that zap the cats every time they come on the resort or maybe some kind of poison? Lol look as long as you don’t feed them just shoo them away they are not a problem

Location: Amazing right in the heart of everything… don’t fret over the constant “taxi” “ sell you a bracelet with ur name on it” or cds… just tell them “NO” and don’t engage them at the end of the day it’s how they make a living and if your lively hood depended on your salary you would harass too. Also always barter if you do take a taxi they give you one price go a couple thousand lower if they don’t want it tell them “NO” trust me you will find a taxi to take you at the price you want. I Go to Jamaica every year so I know a few tips and tricks ;)
To sum up rooms is exactly what it says a room on the beach nothing more and nothing less and it amazes me that people will not pay for a 4* hotel but complain that they are not getting 4* service the Jamaican attitude is very laid back and this can come across as lazy but honestly best phrase "tek time" just take time with them enjoy your holiday. If you’re looking for somewhere to lay your head and have a shower then explore Jamaica this is the place for you if not pay a lot extra and go up the road to the riu or breezes.

Anything you would like to know please ask me

Room Tip: Stay in 1330 that was my room lol ;)
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
10  Thank tina231986
Reviewed 3 June 2012

I have recently come back from Rooms on the Beach Ocho Rios. Well on arrival we we met with no lifts, and expected to carry our cases up 4 flights of stairs after a 11hours of flight and journey to the hotel. Eventually the receptionist got a porter to help. Saw the rooms and was resonably happy with the size of the beds but the bathroom could have done with a upgrade.

there was no activities on site at all, in the day there was music from the bar, but the CD player broke so we had to make do with the local radio station.Half way through the holiday there was an issue with the ice maker on the landings, so there was no ice in the hotel. They had to go to a sister hotel to collect ice, then there was an issue with the hot water. From time to time the water would go cold and you would have to wait hours for it to get warm again. There was always a maintenance man in the locality.

Another issue was there was a number of stray cats just roaming around the hotel. they would be around in the morning when having your breakfast under the tables after food. Not very hygenic....

one good thing was the staff, Sherika, Ann-Marie, Dwayne, Teresa and a few other staff made the stay fun.....

All in all i enjoyed Jamaica.....

UK, Nottm

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank x-broxcrew-x
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Good value for your money. Great location on the beach. Very basic breakfast. Only bad experience was the hustlers on the beach everyday. Jamaica is full of them. They can ruin your entire vacation.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
80.3 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Montego Bay
130.9 km away
SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril

Been to Rooms Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK