“Warm Service and Great Food”

Toscanini Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 115 Restaurants in Ocho Rios
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 38
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are an authentic Italian restaurant located just outside the resort town of Ocho Rios, Jamaica. The property is an original plantation house that also houses an art gallery featuring famous local works of art.
Reviewed 25 June 2015

We visited Toscanini for a romantic dinner, and were greeted by a welcoming staff and a very pleasantly outgoing chef. The entree and wine selections were so wonderful, and the conversation with the chef so intriguing, we ended up staying until after all the doors were locked. Highly recommended!

Reviewed 24 June 2015

Late review but restaurant is a must and highly recommend. Location is perfect, the food is pretty good been their more than once and will most definitely go back and recommend.

Reviewed 15 June 2015

We were welcomed by the Chef, PJ, who was not at all what I expected, being a Londoner of Italian extraction with a rocker heart! He does know his stuff, though! Especially his Italian wine, which he has a fabulous collection of, in his wine cellar.

The local staff were also extremely welcoming, friendly, and helpful. Again, not what I expected for a white linen, silver service style of restaurant, but so much more enjoyable than snooty know-it-alls.

The food was wonderful. An Italian-Jamaican fusion. I had insalata di mare, small pieces of conch (pronounced conk) cooked absolutely perfectly (and I know how difficult it is, trust me) at least I think it was cooked? Maybe it was raw, but it was perfect! With local tomatoes, cucumber and celery, in a delightful oil dressing and a mixed baby salad on the side. My husband had a very generous serving of prosciutto over papaya - a delicious pairing. For the main I had the rabbit ragu, again, perfectly cooked rabbit in a delicious gravy with (irish) potatoes (didn't like the flavour of the fat these had been cooked in, possibly something I'm not used to), and fresh, local, just cooked, baby carrots, green beans and "pumpkin". My husband had the mahi-mahi steaks (known as dolphin here, what?) with the same sides, again cooked perfectly. We managed to squeeze in some tiramisu for dessert, because we had heard it was magnificent, and it was. We shared a bottle of 2012 Montepulciano d'Abruzzo which was absolutely fabulous, and very reasonable. We did not hold back because it's my birthday!

You may say it's not Italian, but I hate Olive Garden, so that's okay. You may say it is pricey, but there are reasonable priced options for both food and wine, if you choose carefully. And you may be new to Jamaica, and if so, go for the Jerk up the road at Ochi. But if you are tired of deep fried crap food, or Jamaican "specialties", then I say come here to refresh your palate, and your soul.

1  Thank VicletSmith
Reviewed 2 June 2015 via mobile

My husband and I had dinner here a couple times while in Ocho Rios. Fresh ingredients, warm baked bread, and such a romantic environment! We will be back!!

Reviewed 27 May 2015

The food in the first visit was just aceptable . We decided to give another try , it was
Really bad! The sea food salad was not Italians sea food salad ! The Pork as main
course was simply horrible ! The duck was more like boiled , than rosted .
Absolutely a put off , the restaurant is definitely not Italian !!

3  Thank 8,82,034
ToscaniniJA, Owner at Toscanini Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2015

Dear 882034,

We are very sorry to hear about your recent dinner experience with us.

Rest assured that we have done everything we can to address and fix the issues which you wrote about. The seafood salad is in fact a conch salad with the seasonal greens and vegetables - also very popular, however we usually make it a habit to explain that in detail when it is being ordered.

At times, we may change our Suppliers due to cuts of meat, and this we always keep a close eye upon, so thank you for bringing the pork to our attention.

Our highest priority is serving you, our welcomed customer to our restaurant to give you an extraordinary dining experience, so once again we do send our apologies on behalf of our entire team.

Hope you will give us another chance and make it back again in the near future.

One Love,