“JUST ASK FOR MARVELOUS MARVIN-Entertainment Coordinator”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #25 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 21 March 2007

My family and I stayed at the Royal Decameron and we had a blast. We kept saying “They must be upgrading to a 4 star because this is too nice for a three star.” We loved the food, the staff, the water the beachfront, the size, with everything you could want on your vacation including a HOT gym instructor named Joseph. Everyone was so friendly sweet and fun. One particular person that made our Vacation special was Marvin (Marvelous Marvin) he helped to make our stay better than we could imagine. We can’t wait to get back there and if you do please say hello to the Marvelous one for me.

Diane

Stayed: February 2007
6  Thank Melolyrics
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Reviewed 20 March 2007

We really enjoyed this hotel. It was very clean and neat. More modern than the Decamerons' Runaway Bay location and the rooms were very comfortable. Our room had a small living room area and a seperate bedroom. The bed was extremely comfortable and the bathrooms were immaculate and very large! The nightly entertainment was quite good as well. I will say this hotel attracts a much more young and energetic crowd, so if your looking for a quiet, low key vacation, this wouldn't be a good hotel. It's located right of the "hip strip" so shopping and night clubbing is very accessible. Overall my husband and I enjoyed this hotel the most over the other three we have stayed in.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank nadhika
Reviewed 20 March 2007

Our stay at the Roayl Decameron Montego Bay was from March 15-19, 2007.
The hotel was built (we were told) in the 1950's and was formerly the Jack Tar. (The Jack Tar reef sits out in the bay straight out from the resort.)

Location:
I really can't get any better if you are looking to stay at a nice place not too far from the airport. It literally took us less than 5 minutes from the airport to the guarded gate.
It sits on the north end of the Hip Strip. There is a Sandals property just north of the RDMB, but I would not say that is in a good location. To the south of RDMB there is a public beach area (which sits behind a cemetary), then some shops, and on to several more beachfront resorts.

Facilities: The building appearance is very well maintained. The rooms are not incredibly opulent, but were decent. The views they offered were spectacular, and the housekeeping was exceptional. (Our housekeeper's name was Desiree and she did a great job the whole time.)
We had an unfortunate event during our stay - a water line broke on the second floor, causing us to be without a shower for a full day, then it was off again for several hours the next day while they made the temporary fix a more permanant one, then it broke again the following day and we were without a shower for several more hours.
I understand that those things happen, but my problem was that when we asked the front desk how long it would be before the water was back on, they seemed clueless at first, then said it would only be 10 more minutes, then a few hours later said it would be 30 more minutes. It did not come back on that night. The next day while it was off we asked again how long, and they said that it was going to be fixed soon, the repairs were being made permanent. It was some hours before it came back on. Then, when it broke again, they didn't know what to tell us.
We had informed our Apple Rep (Richard) who said he would investigate, but he never got back with us, and didn't offer as much as an apology for the inconvenience.
Our friends who were there also reported to the front desk that they had ants in the room, and they were gone the next day.

The beaches, while they are small, are ample and very nice. We never had any problem getting chairs or a cabana.

The boardwalk is very nice, especially for an early morning or evening stroll.

Activities: The main activity for many people seemed to be sitting at one of the bars and experiencing the seemingly endless number of concoctions the bartenders could come up with.
All drinks are served in small (6 or 8 oz) hard plastic cups.
Some bartenders (John) are better than others as far as service goes. Many times we (and some others we spoke to) felt as if we were being ignored.

They do host a variety of events and the staff (Showtime) tries to create enthusiasm with each event - beach volleyball, contests, etc...
Be assertive and get involved - it will make your days at the resort much more enjoyable.

Entertainment: RDMB has a mento band playing near the lobby every day. They seem to enjoy what they are playing and it was fun to see them having fun. They are very relaxed and make a nice background complement to whatever activities you are doing within earshot of them. The resort also offers musical shows in the evenings - the house band was good, and we especially enjoyed Jamaican night (Leroy and the band was a fantastic show - he sang for over an hour, non-stop, reggae music).
They also have staff who will come into the crowd and invite you to dance. They are a lot of fun if you let yourself get involved.
After the house band, there are a variety of shows/games that encourage audience participation.
We ventured into the Disco one night. We were the only ones there besides the working staff, so we left after a few minutes.

Food: We did not eat at Souk, the formal dining restaurant, but the food, service and setting looked outstanding from the outside. Long pants and collared shirts are required for men, and semi-formal attire for women is required.
We did eat at the buffet and found it to be very good. A wide variety of food that was prepared very well, always plenty of it, and an attentive wait staff (one waitress, who was in training - I didn't get her name - was outstanding), make the buffet a very good meal. I was daring and tasted a lot of things I never have before, and found that I like most of it. Bear in mind, this is not typical US food. Lots of fresh fuits and vegetables, but also, different preparation that we are used to in the midwest rural/suburban USA. We also ate at the snack bar and found it to be decent as well. The selection is limited, and the food is not fantastic, but it is adequate as a snack bar, offering pizza, hamburgers & fries, etc...

The staff - As I have mentioned, many of the staff were outstanding, while others were not.
In particular the front desk staff seemed to be somewhat rude at times, and the only pleasant dealings I had with them, including the check-in process, was when we were about to leave. They DO have problems trying to provide change for large US bills. I had read posts on Trip Advisor to that regard, and went well prepared, lots of $1's and $5's. So many, in fact, I found that I still had over $50 in $1 bills when were were ready to leave. I offered to sell them to the front desk for a larger bill, and the girl behind the front desk even actually seemed to smile a little when she said that they would like to change them up for a $50 bill.

Services:
The gift shop is not over-priced, and the staff is very pleasant. One evening the manager gave my friend and I a quick lesson in the history of Jamaican rum and the difference in quality.
There is a small craft market set up inside the resort. This was a pleasant experience after being out on the Hip Strip. (How many times can you say "No mon" in a mile?) We bought some great hand-carved wood art pieces and the prices were very reasonable - haggling is allowed.
(By the way - we compared prices at the duty free shops with the best prices we could get from vendors on the hip strip (same items) and the Duty Free shops at the airport were the same as the shopkeepers bottom dollar).
There is a 16 1/2% sales tax in Jamaica, be sure when you are negotiating prices you know if the tax is included.
Internet is available on a couple of PC's in the lobby, and there is a charge (I think it was $5 for 15 minutes). There is no wireless available from the resort, however, it is possible to get a signal near the gift shop or from the higher floors on the garden side. It's very sketchy and seems to work best in the evenings and at night. Be advised, you would be using someone elses private, yet unsecured wireless connection.
Taxi service is available at any time. There is a lot full of drivers directly across the street eager to haul you wherever you want to go. Know your price before you get into the vehicle.
Security - Incredibly dilligent and effective. There are people hanging around outside the fences and calling to you. There are also people who will try to get into the resort. We had an experience that involved a woman trying to sneak in while our group was coming through the gate. The guard stopped her and sent her back out. Beware, she had followed us several blocks down the hip strip, obviously intent on gaining access to the resort, and trying to mix in with our group at the gate. People on the street will be able to identify which resort you are at by the wrist band attached to you when you check in.
There are also guards at each end of the resort, which also has a fence and razor wire.

Excursions: We only did one, and that was enough. Not because we didn't enjoy it, which we did (Chukka Canopy Tour), it was the drive to and from the location. I had heard that Jamaicans drive crazy, and even the driver joked about that, but when we almost crashed into oncoming traffic a coule of times, and nearly ran over a little girl and later an old woman, it sealed the deal on going out any more for us.

Overall: I really want to say great things about the Royal Decameron, but we had enough incidents of unpleasantness that I can't give it a gleaming review.
I tend not to be an overly picky person, and absolutely don't expect (or desire) any kind of glamor or "high-roller" treatement.
There were good things and bad, but most was so-so. I guess it all evens out to be about a 3 out of 5.

I will say, though, that when I looked at the other properties along the Hip Strip, RDMB seemed to be at the top as far as appearance.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
19  Thank ItsjustDoug
Reviewed 18 March 2007

We stayed at RDMB from Feb 17-24/07 and we had a fantastic time. This was our first time to Jamaica and heard good things about this resort (both here on this website and from friends who had been there).

Our room was nice and very clean. We had a third floor room with ocean view balcony overlooking the swimming pools and beach area. It was a great view. I should mention that during peak times (early evening hours) on some evenings the water temperature for the shower was luke warm at best as everyone was probably taking showers at the same time. We did not find that to be a huge problem. It did not stop us from enjoying our stay.

The food was great. My husband and I ate at the Souk restaurant twice, the buffet grill a few times and the buffet the rest of the time. Everything we tried was really good. We did eat at the Pork Pit (down the road a bit from the hotel) on the last day there and I must say that was the best ribs I ever tasted.

The entertainment team is great. We really enjoyed playing the 3pm crazy games and enjoyed the nightly shows as well. The bar staff were also friendly.

The beach is small but it did not matter. There were always chairs available and the snorkeling near the watersports center was pretty good.

We went on 2 excursions. One to Dunns River Falls and the other was a snorkeling trip. The Dunns River trip was really good but the only thing I would suggest is to not spend the money on the DVD of your trip up the Falls as the video quality was not very good (found out when we got home and was able to watch it). The snorkeling trip was good too.

We loved our first trip to Jamaica and we definitely would go back to this resort again.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Plans&Ren
Reviewed 18 March 2007

My fiance and I stayed at the Decameron Montego Beach from 5 March to 12 March this year. We looked at loads of Trip Advisor reviews prior to our trip, so thought we should do our part and review the Decameron upon our return. We always think the best reviews are the balanced ones, so we'll do our best to give you an honest appraisal.
Location: Great location right at the end of the Hip Strip. The drive from the airport might be five minutes if traffic is bad. (If you're taking a taxi, you should pay no more than 10 US dollars). You can walk to lots of restaurants and shops, Doctors Cave Beach, and the local beach as well. Be aware that people on the street will approach you to buy anything from drugs to cds to bracelets and hair braids as soon as you step outside the hotel gates. The best thing is to stay positive but firm. They are just trying to make a living, but that doesn't mean you should allow yourself to feel intimidated or pressured into buying things you don't want. Smile, say no thank you if you're not interested, and keep moving. Avoid drawnout conversations, or the seller will not be pleased when you don't buy things later.
Rooms: Our room (223) was very large and had a great view of the gorgeous water. We also overlooked the pool and pool bar, which was actually very quiet, since the nightclub is on the other end of the resort, and the pool bar doesn't open until noon. Huge, lovely balcony as well. The cleaners did an adequate job everyday, but their schedule was wildly different all week. One morning they came at twenty past eight and the next day didn't show until three thirty in the afternoon. This was mildly inconvenient, but they did apologize. The big problem here is lack of hot water. We showered at all different times of the day, and you just never know when you're gonna get a hot shower or a decent amount of water pressure. Even at a three star resort, hot water should be standard, especially outside of peak times, which was when we tried to shower. The bathroom also only has two small lights, so it's quite dark. Not a huge deal though. Overall, the room was very nice, lovely colours and loads of tv channels.
Food: The food was, well, adequate. There is plenty of it, and they try to provide a variety to choose from. They are great at making stews and curries, and there is a nice salad bar. The omelet station is good at breakfast, and there's a very large selection of tasty breads. They use very cheap cuts of meat though, so be prepared to find lots of bones and gristle in your meat. We ate twice at Souk and found it to be a nice change. They changed the menu on the second night, and we definitely recommend the jerk chicken. The atmosphere there is also very relaxing. Our tip though is to try a few restaurants around MoBay. The Houseboat Grill is fantastic! You eat right on the water and it's so romantic. Good service too. For a cheap lunch, walk about ten minutes to The Pork Pit. The jerk is done outside on a huge grill, and it's popular with tourists and locals alike. My fiance reckons he could've eaten every meal there and been happy.
Resort and Activities: We loved that the resort never felt too crowded, even though they were at capacity. We could always get beach chairs (though competition is rough for the pool loungers in the afternoon). Service at the bars varies from ok to terrible. Sometimes it helps to tip a little, but not always. We also noticed that the bartenders favour guests they know, which is understandable but inappropriate at a resort where everyone is paying. The lobby area is lovely and the band is relaxing and engaging every night. We loved sipping rum and cokes and listening to them play before dinner. Entertainment staff and activities can be a bit much for guests who are just there to relax. The loud music and screeching over the speakers got on our nerves towards the end of the week. Still, the guests who participated seemed to enjoy themselves. Just understand that this resort is not large so it's somewhat difficult to get away from the entertainment staff if you're just not interested in playing games. Also, I observed some twenty-something girls have to ask two male staff members to refrain from touching them. This is totally inappropriate and it was disturbing to see young women uncomfortable around the male staff. They meant no harm, but were overly familiar. There is good snorkeling from the beach, and we loved checking out the fish. Also, there's table tennis, loads of board games, books to borrow, glass bottom boat, paddle boats, water trampolines and on and on. A very adequate range of activities.
All in all, we found the Decameron to be very good value for Montego Bay. You can't beat the price for a clean, well-maintained resort. We saw some of the other resorts from the water and on a tour, and the Decameron was just a better overall deal (defintiely avoid the beachless Sandals Inn). Just be aware that it is a three-star resort, with three-star service, and a three-star atmosphere. We'll try something different next time, but we wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Decameron for an informal holiday. Be sure to go on the Croydon plantation tour. It was our favorite part of the holiday and you get to actually see more of Jamaica than a resort beach! Very informative and enjoyable!

Stayed: March 2007