“1st time in Jamacia and RDMB and wasn't that impressed!”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #24 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 28 July 2012

My husband and I were there from July 21-25 and it was first trip to Jamaica. I picked RDMB because the reviews seemed awesome. Either I'm incredibly picky or this place isn't as great as everyone makes it out to be. Upon arriving at 3:30, our room was not ready. They told me to come back in a half an hour which I didn't mind, but after traveling for so long, I couldn't wait to relax. We went down to eat at the little hut by the pool and ate a "hamburger". I use this term VERY loosely. I had 2 bites and could not eat anymore. I'm not even sure what kind of meat it was. Went back up to front desk and my room STILL was not ready. This is after check in time and the hotel was not booked. I asked. The front desk gave me another room to pacify me. It was on the 2nd floor overlooking pool. It was so loud even with the doors closed. I went back and asked for a quieter room. Finally they gave us the room they were originally going to give us. The room location was much better but our room smelled of cigarette smoke and there was mold in the bathroom. So far not a great start to our trip but we figured we were in Jamaica and just enjoy it. The food there is not good at all and got VERY redundant after 4 days. The alcohol also was all Jamaican booze and beer. Very little selection. Only 1 type of beer. They only give you 1 bottle of water for 2 people on the 1st day. The rest of the time you have to buy it for $2 in the gift shop. They also charge $2 a day for safe rental in your room. These items should be free at an all-inclusive. The pool and spa close at 5pm. Not much to do after dinner. Didn't feel safe going outside the resort after dark. The shows were okay. If I had to list a few pros, they would be, THE BEACH! It was gorgeous. Water was perfect temperature, the clearest water I have ever seen and we never had a problem finding a spot to lay out. The snorkeling couldn't of been better. That was a lot of fun. We did that almost everyday. Most of the staff was pretty friendly as well. If we ever went back to Jamaica, we would definitely try and stay someplace else.

Room Tip: We stayed in the sunset building. Only building I would stay in. Super quiet and relaxing. Even with...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michellemybell1977

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Our family of four incl 12 & 14 yr old, stayed at RDMB in July 14/12 and loved it. We had a 4th floor room, clean but in need of some updating, the wall and floor had some water damage from the air conditioner. Roomy balcony with fantastic ocean view, balconies had a door to connect to the neighbouring balcony which was an unusual but nice touch, great since we had two adjoining rooms. We found the restaurants were good, meal times, food and service excellent. Really nice ambiance to the resort with the Mento band playing, nice lighting and seating along the main path where you could sit after dinner and just people watch and enjoy the oceanview. We were impressed with the attentiveness of the staff, the wait staff were always nearby, so many maintenance people working night and day, the grounds were immaculate. Nightly entertainment was excellent. Special thanks to Baby Boy who remembered my son's name from day one and always took the time to say hello to him every day.

The snorkeling was great, bring you own gear though, water crystal clear blue, clean sand, and beach was not busy. The sand beach areas are small, as much of the resort fronts the water with a retaining wall, so if you like a long beach walk you won't get it here, although there is a nice boardwalk from end to end of the resort. You can ask to be brought out on the resort's Hobie sailboat, quite fun. We didn't like the one or two regular sellers that swim into the private resort beach areas selling jewellry and conch shells, while they were harmless, they were still a nuisance and the lifeguards appeared to do nothing to discourage them.

We spent the last two nights of our trip at the Royal Decameron Fun Carribean in Runaway Bay. While it had a waterslide and a much larger pools, the beach was not good and sea weedy, the resort seemed much less staffed, just did not have the nice ambiance of RMDB, and no balconies to the rooms, although the rooms were larger and had an electronic safe which didn't require paying a daily fee for. We also visited the RD Club Carribean resort which was nice and appeared to be a place to go for a quiet vacation. All in all of the 3 Royal Decameron resorts, we (even the kids!) preferred Montego Bay for the beach/water/snorkelling quality, staff attentiveness, food and ambiance, it just had more of a "resort" feel to it. The resort was large enough to have your privacy, yet small enough to get to meet your fellow guests. And the oceanfront views from your room is hard to beat.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Tyler L
Reviewed 25 July 2012

My wife and I celebrated our 30th Anniversary at this property and were there from 14-21 July.

It was our first time visiting this property and we were very happy overall with everything. The room was a very nice ocean view on the 2nd floor (room 211), the food at all three locations was very good and best of all it is a small resort (130 or so rooms) and we never felt crowded. There was always lounges available, never a wait for food or drinks and everybody was accommodating.

Most guests were nice, but, there were a few floozies running around trying to sleep with whomever had a pulse. If you were there, you know I am referring to Angie and Lydia and that dental party crew. I don't hold that against the property and they didn't impede on us too much, but, it was irritating how they acted so blatantly.

Our excursions were to the hip strip a few times, Dunns River Falls, the Dolphin Cove and Mountain Valley river trip and plantation tour.

We rarely ever go back to a place twice, but, if we run out of destinations, we will consider coming to this one again.

Room Tip: Upper floors have the best views!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank mahlonj
Reviewed 22 July 2012

I just came back for RDMB a week ago and it was my first time there. I had a fabulous time there!! I read a lot of great reviews on this hotel and that's why I chose to go there. I was not dissappointed at all! As soon as we got to the resort and got off the bus we received a warm welcome from Dale! He's such a great guy! The food was amazing, the staff were all amazing, the grounds were kept so nice and clean! The a/c in our room worked great! I don't have any complaints. This resort was actually better than I was expecting it to be. It's located within steps of shopping. The drinks were great! For drinks I would reccomment the Jamaican Delight and the Bob Marley shots! We loved the entertainment shows at night. The entertainment crew does a great job. The disco was happening every night. I would return here!

Room Tip: Definitly go with ocean view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank LoveLeigh79
Reviewed 18 July 2012

This is an older style hotel, nothing fancy but with a nice Jamaican feeling to it. Rooms are a bit dated but had fantastic views overlooking the ocean. Air Con and ceiling fan. Very large King-size bed, lots storage space, TV, table and 2 chairs, iron and ironing board. Nice powerful shower and always had hot water. Spacious balcony with 2 large chairs, perfect for sitting watching the amazing sunsets from. Maid kept room very clean with fresh towels daily. Food in main restaurant was good although did become a bit repetitive. Nice touch was the band playing while you ate. You also have the beach bar for snacks.
Pool/beach areas kept nice, very clean and plenty beds. Also hammocks throughout the hotel grounds. Small beaches, lovely clear warm sea. Great for snorkelling.
Hotel is just 5 mins from airport which is a plus. You can watch the planes landing from your sun lounger, didnt really notice the noise after a few days. Turn right out of hotel gates and you are on the Hip Strip with plenty shops, few bars and a Burger King. Tourist police patrol hip strip till 10pm so felt safe. There’s a KFC and Pizza Hut in Downtown Montego Bay but wouldn’t advise going that far as was very intimidating.
Did a few trips, enjoyed Dunns Waterfall and Mystic Mountain the best.
All staff were friendly and helpful and we had an enjoyable relaxing holiday.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple