“great stay”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 18 June 2012

we are not big fan of all inclusive resorts, or any fancy name brand hotels (we had some bad or just OK experiences with some top, fancy named hotels with fancy prices). but this year we picked Royal Decameron (RD) just to show our college kids how in-personal those resorts could be (we booked our second stay in Jamaica with a wonderful small guest house in Port Antonio) and how little real Jamaican experiences they could get. And we picked RD for its value and excellent reviews (please pay close attention: almost all bad reviews were from guests who got moved to their sister hotel. we booked RD directly with their own website and called to confirm our rooms) ...to our surprise, RD really exceeded our expectations in every way! the rooms are large, with nice balcony facing the ocean. the grounds are kept very clean. the location is great with hip strip right behind the hotel and a few small hotel beaches right in front of the hotel. the food exceeded our expectation as well (we thought they really could have charged us much more for our stay:). Staff was very friendly and hard working. The shows were all fine with such hard working actors/actress/dancers! Dale, the entertainment manger came to introduce himself with nearly everyone and remember each of our names! Make sure you bring a lot of small bills because you would end up wanting to give tips to EVERY hard working staff! overall, we enjoyed our stay with RD, maybe partly because we had lower expectations for all inclusive resorts and we anticipated that Jamaica is a developing country and we didn't really expect any shinning floors and counter tops, or any well advised brochures lying everywhere. for example, the telephone in our kid's room didn't work and we requested it to be fixed. they tried but found the problem was in the telephone line not the phone. and they never really fixed it. should we be anger about it? no. because we didn't pay top prices for a stay in a modern city/country. if there are some glitches here and there, it's all OK.

Room Tip: rooms in the main building with number 12 or larger is better and quieter. for example, room 312, 31...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank sandyspicy

Dear sandyspicy,

Thank you for reviewing our property. Like any hotel and resort company our main goal is to create and unforgettable memory and make sure the visit does repeat and create guest loyalty. Decameron has never invested in fancy loyalty programs. We invested in attitudes, smiles and the warmness of our staff and for that very reason each day we can count with 7 to 10% of repeat guests in house. This is because of people gathering in Decameron as their home, people like you.

Once again thank you and warm regards from sunny Caribbean,

RDMB

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Reviewed 17 June 2012

We stayed at the Royal Decameron from June 9-16, 2012 for a late honeymoon. We've never been to Jamaica or to an all-inclusive before. STAFF: When we arrived at the resort, as many other people have reviewed, the front desk staff were all dry which border lined rude at times with expressionless faces, short responses to questions, etc. They just acted like they didn't want to be bothered. The only front desk staff member that was friendly was a man named Vaughn. With the exception of the front desk staff, the rest of the RDMB staff was great...very nice, consistently at your service, etc. FOOD/DRINK: At Passa Passa, I thought that the variety of food was great. Someone in a previous review said that there wasn't enough American food served, but not just American’s vacation here. There are people vacationing here from all over the world. I thought that the variety of food served all nationalities/cultures very well. We always found at least one dish we enjoyed at every meal and there were a ton of bread/salad bar choices. I will say that I thought the salad dressings were strange (no Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing here) and the eggs at breakfast were runny, but again we were in another country therefore expecting to experience new or possibly different things. We ate at Souk (the a la carte restaurant) once, which was very good. The snack bar was okay with decent burgers, fries, etc. The girl working the snack bar didn't seem very happy to there, ever. People working all 3 bars were awesome and made great drinks. They mainly serve bottom shelf liquors (which we don't care), so don't expect Jack Daniels, Patron, etc. I do recommend bringing your own cup, as they give you tiny ones. We also enjoyed the little store downstairs just outside of the front lobby. FACILITIES/ENTERTAINMENT: We enjoyed the pool and the garden area was pretty and well kept. We really enjoyed the beach with lots of chairs available to lounge in. If you go to one of the side beach areas to the left or right they are more secluded. We did have a guy swim up to us in the ocean (yes, I'm not kidding) offering to sell us marijuana. He even had his little water proof baggy, but he did not hassle us once we said no. I definitely recommend snorkeling, as we saw some really neat fish. We did not do any of the other things like the pedal boats, windsurfing or kayaks. I liked all of the hammocks and hanging chairs to read/lounge in. My husband played bball for a few hours, but they need a new bball (theirs was worn/lopsided). We had fun on the trampoline in the ocean. We did not use sauna, whirlpool, fitness center, tennis courts, etc. We used the internet twice for $5 per hour (or you have the option to pay $20 for an entire day). Free Wi-Fi would have been nice, just a suggestion. :) We left the resort once and walked down the street. It was a little sketchy. We were asked to buy items by a few people, but mostly left alone. ROOMS: We stayed in 219, and the room was okay. We had view of the pool, but somewhat blocked view of the ocean as trees were in the way. Beautiful view regardless. We had one king sized bed and the room was spacious enough. The room just seemed very old, dingy and in need of renovation. There was actually a major water/pipe leak one morning on the 2nd floor while there, in which water was all over second floor around the leak and got all over the dining room floor below. It was repaired/controlled by that same evening. Cable was super fuzzy and unreliable, but we didn't watch much tv (just had to catch the NBA finals a few nights).

Overall, we really enjoyed our stay. We were looking for an affordable all inclusive with some fun things to do, where we could interact with people or not if we chose to be by ourselves. We found that here. Thanks to the RDMB staff that made our trip enjoyable.

3  Thank Compton4879

Dear Allison C,

Thanks a lot for the review. Please allow me to comment on the cable comment: We have switch Cable company and went from conventional to new HD cable. Clearer image and no more snow!

Sunny regards from Mobay,

General Manager RDMB

Reviewed 16 June 2012

The Royal Decameron was everything we expected and more. This was our kind of vacation!!! Small resort, great food and stunning views of the Caribbean Sea. We stayed in Room 223, the room was large, clean and overlooked the pool and sea.The hotel is well maintained and the gardens and property are beautiful.
The beach is small however the stunning coral reefs and the magnificant fish more than made up for the size of the beach. My husband enjoyed many hours of snorkling right outside our doorstep. The resort has 2 pools and very comfortable lounge chairs.
This was one of our best vacations yet and we will definitely be back.

Room Tip: Pay for the upgrade it is absolutely worth it to get the stunning sea views.....Floor 2 is where you...
4  Thank AjaxTravellers

Dear AjaxTravellers,

Thanks a million for the comments.

Regards from fellow canadian,

Reviewed 14 June 2012

We stayed at the Royal Decameron Montego Bay for 12 days in May. We had room 317: large bedroom, sea vieuw and very clean. Ample for the time spent in.
The gardens are also very nice and well maintained.

At the main restaurant the food is basic but good.
There also a snack bar from 11am to 5pm with hot-dogs, hamburger, french fries, jerk chicken wings, rice and beans. And an A la carte restaurant, very tasty.

The hotel offers 2 swimming-pools, a quiet one and an another with a pool bar and a DJ from 10am to 5pm.
Other bars are open from 5pm til late as the animation is until 2am.

If you wanna go downtown,Montego Bay is at 5 minutes and the shared- taxi costs around 100JMD ($1) per person.
(Btw it's'more interesting to use JMD than $).

We booked tours to Ocho Rios (shopping and Dunn River Falls) and to Kingston with Tropical Tours and it wasn't worth the price.
The Dunn River Falls is a must-do but the shopping at Ocho Rios wasn't interesting. They took us to very expensive souvenirs shops and we only had 30 minutes. It's'more interesting to buy on the hip strip which is near the Hotel and don't hesitate to negociate! They also took us to a restaurant (lunch wasn't including) but honestly it was a real rip-off! Expensive and not gOod at all. But as it was in the middle of nowhere, we had no choice but ate there.
The Kingston Tour was interesting thanks to the Bob Marley Museum (another must-do) but we didn't see anything about Kingston except Devon house for 30mn to get an ice cream and a Mall in the new Kingston where we stopped for an hour to have lunch. If not it was only about Kingston" by bus".

In general we had a very good stay at the RD and i 100% recommand it to people who wants a good value for money! Now if you are looking for a luxury Hotel and services it will probably not suit you...

• Stayed: May 2012
3  Thank johlala

Dear johlala,

Thank you very much for the review. Shall you believe we can improve please do not hesitate to contact me.

regards

Reviewed 11 June 2012

This is a very honest review. I use trip advisor a lot before I make travel decisions and I want to be honest with those of you that are trying to decide to stay at this resort. I am not a picky person. I am not high maintenance, just an every day down to earth person. I don’t find fault with everything and hardly ever complain. I believe that no mater what the situation is you can always find something good and try to make the best out of it. Keep that in mind when you read my review. June 7th - 10th 2012

P.S…..This is a long rewiew!

Check-In

We arrived at the Royal Decameron at about 2:05 P.M. and were given a room right away. The staff at the front desk was friendly but nothing compared to other resorts where we have stayed where they treated you like the “royal family” upon arrival. They gave us an 8x10 printout of all the information about the resort. There was not a lot of explaining about anything. In fact the only thing that they covered in detail was the list of charges if you lost the room key, towel card, or towel.

( 1st ) Room ( 216 )

Our room was on the 2nd floor. I read all the reviews about this property prior to taking the trip and had set my expectations well below what we were used to when traveling. With that being said I was still a little shocked. The floors were scuffed and dirty. The bathroom was not really dirty but it just looked unclean. The grout around the tile was stained and just grubby looking. The bedding appeared clean as well as the towels. The view from the balcony was “to die for” absolutely amazing! The air in the room was not on and it was very hot and humid. We turned it on and left to go down stairs to eat lunch before they closed at 2:30. After lunch when we returned to the room we noticed that the air was off and the room was still hot. We turned it on again and changed into our suits to go out and swim. We were gone a few hours, upon return to the room the air was off again and it was hot. We turned it on again and showered and dressed for dinner. We went to dinner at 6:30 ate then went back to the room for a minute. Once again the air was off and the room was hot. I went down to the desk to ask if there was a timer on the unit that kept turning it off. The desk clerk was rude and told me that she would call maintenance, she told me to go and wait in my room. I did as she said and went up stairs to wait. We waited for 30 minutes and a maintenance man arrived. He played with the air for a minute then said he had to go to the roof to fix something and would return in a few minutes. One HOUR later while patiently waiting in our hot room with no air I went back down stairs to see what the hold up was.( It was past 9:00 pm and the shows had started we could hear the music and where are we ……STUCK in our hot room waiting for the maintenance man.) When I got to the desk I told the clerk that we had been waiting for an hour and a half for the air man, she snapped at me saying “you should have stayed in your room” to which I replied “we have been in our room the whole time” she rolled her eyes and picked up the radio and called the maintenance man. I asked her if we could just please be moved to another room. She again rolled her eyes and looked at me with contempt. She rapidly started speaking to the other front lobby clerk. I could not understand what they were saying but it was not nice and was in regards to me. I really did not understand where this hostility was coming from, I’m a nice person and I was not being rude or disrespectful at all. I just wanted my air fixed or a different room so we could go watch the show and not be stuck in our room all night while on vacation. The maintenance man arrives at the desk and she ask him about our air. He said that he was going up the roof to try and fix it and to give him 20 minutes. I went back to my room waited 20 minutes and he knocked on the door. He came in turned it on then said it was fixed and left. The air continued to blow hot air into the room. He said it would take a while to cool down the room. We left to go and catch the remainder of the show. About an hour later we returned to the room and it was still hot and the unit was blowing hot air. We returned to the front lobby (still calm might I add) and asked for another room. The front lobby clerk said no then completely ignored us and once again started talking to the other lady behind the desk. My husband was starting to get upset. He was tired and hot and to be honest was just amazed at the total lack of customer service. I am being 100% honest about everything; I would not expect to get treated this way at a motel 6 much less and All Inclusive Resort. The whole time I had been nothing but polite and respectful even though I had every right to be irate. I asked for a manager and she rolled her eyes and went into the office behind the desk. A man named Nolan came out and asked us what was going on. I calmly explained the problem to him and he started talking to the lady, once again I could not understand what they were saying but I could tell by her body language that it was not pleasant. The manager called the maintenance man on the radio and told him to come to the desk. My husband had had enough and told him to switch our rooms, now. The manager said he could not do that until he spoke with the maintenance man…..Seriously! My husband told him to go up to the room as see for himself…… the air was broke. He once again just told us to wait for the maintenance man. He showed up about 5 minutes later and looked surprised to see us standing there. He told the Manager that our air was broke and that he had told the front lobby lady to switch our room along time ago. This unbelievable woman was just being hateful and ignored him. I don’t know what her problem was, maybe she hates American’s, maybe it was a racial thing, maybe she just need to find another job as far away from other people as possible. After hearing what the maintenance man said to the manager I had had then had enough. This whole time I was calm and polite, I told him to give us a new room now, that I was tired of this crap. The manager apologized over and over and gave us a new room immediately. The amazing part was that the lobby lady told us that there were no rooms available and the manager got us one in less than 30 seconds. The woman then had to nerve to argue with him about giving us a different room. I was in shock at her belligerent attitude. I could not even understand her having that attitude if I was an irate customer (which I wasn’t) She and the other lady needed fired ASAP. We just took the key and went to move our stuff. Once we were switched I brought he old key down to the Manager and he apologized and told me that “not everyone handled things like he did and he was working on training the lobby staff on how to work with customers”. I told him that he needed to work with them two much, much harder. He again apologized several times. I thanked him and went to the room. Our whole first night was a total rip-off. We missed the shows and were stuck in our room waiting on maintenance to fix the air. Any other resort would have just moved us.

(2nd ) Room (214)

Very clean, larger than 1st room, beautiful view. Overall this was a very nice room. Best of all…….The AIRCONDITIONER worked perfectly. The bed was so super hard. I sleep on my stomach and I could not sleep that way cause the dang bed was to hard.

The burger and hotdog grill was not appealing at all there were ants everywhere. The buffet food was hit or miss. I always found something that I ate. Jamaican night was the best. We did not eat at the restaurant that took reservations.

Entertainment

Pretty dang good. Out of all the Staff, these guys knew what it was all about…..THE GUEST! They were very good. I loved the game show night and the dancers on Saturday.

Beach

Lovely…..we had our own snorkeling gear and spent most of our time in the water exploring the coral. We took the glass bottom boat with Captain Poly out for $20.00 each to the reef, it was amazing. It was absolutely beautiful. We would do it over and over again. Best part of our trip.

Outside of the Resort

Margaretaville was just a short walk from the resort. The locals are aggressive but nothing that bothered us. They will ask you over and over if you want to buy some pot. Just say no and they leave you alone. There was one man who was suppose to be showing us a vendor for beach wear and ended us taking us into an alley….scary. They call it the “craft market”, trust me this place was not crafty to me. It was just scary ( I love to try new things and I don’t scare easily). We left and did not allow them to lead us that way again.

Overall comments

The resort is beautiful, even more so at night. The one thing that stood out the most was the total lack of any kind of greeting or smiles from the staff at the hotel. There was a few staff that when you spoke to them directly they would attempt to be somewhat friendly but the majority were just non- social and unfriendly. Something as simple as being nice would have made out trip so much better and I would have been leaving a good review instead of this one. I would not return here and that’s a shame because the place is absolutely beautiful. It would take so little to make this place amazing. (Train your staff to be polite and make customer service always a top priority) . If you do decide to go here, just remember to keep an open mind. We did not let the first day’s incident spoil our trip; we just made the best out of it.
This last part of my review is going to sound horrible and snobby so I apologize ahead of time! I think all these outstanding reviewers are from people who have just never been to a really good resort and have nothing of quality to compare this resort to. Most…. but not all of guest that we encountered while at the resort were not quite what we are used to, (that was putting it as nice as possible). I say this because these great reviews are just not true…… this place needs a lot of work and the staff needs a lot of training on how to properly work in a resort with customers.

Just a tip…..If you do decide to book the resort take your own plastic cup with a lid. They only serve you drinks (alcohol, soda, water) in very small juice sized plastic cups. Most people went to the gift shop and bought Jamaican cups for about 15 to 20 bucks. You can grab one at Wal-Mart for 3 bucks that’s insolated and throw it in your bag, this will save you on the trips to the bar since they don’t come around a take drink orders.

Room Tip: 214 was an awsome room. Stay in the building by the pool. Not the other one it is by the club and th...
19  Thank Wigglit

Dear wigglit,

First of all, I cannot thank you enough for taking the time to write this review as this is very important for any hotel property to improve and be able to pinpoint the mistakes we have done along the way.
I remember you nice folks. Great People!
The information package provided is clearly insufficient. Some decisions have been taken as you also provided us with a comment sheet in the hotel. The meeting following your visit was used for a lot of adjustments. Usually when guests are reserving through a Tour operator they have a tour representative that is there to give them an information briefing but in the case of the online reservations, this is not happening hence we have taken the decision to start to give information briefing to all are online reserving guests. Also starting August 1st 2012, are new service guide will be available in rooms in 4 languages (Was in production) and we are working in a presentation video that will be projected in some flat screen monitors in the lobby area as well as on an internal channel in the rooms.
Room 216 aircon story is a disaster but mostly a disaster on the way you have been handled. I will not fire the staff as suggested because this is the easy way out. I prefer education to any other solutions as everyone has qualities which we will assess and maintain and work on their weak points. Nevertheless I believe in spotless, distinctive guest service for which we have decided to hire a consultant in customer service training to turnaround some areas where service is weaker than others.
A new quality control program is being implemented for maintenance, front desk and housekeeping and will be fully functional on sept 1st 2012.

Once again I would like to thank you very much and wish you consider to come back to Royal Decameron Montego Beach Resort and allow us to revert that overall impression.

Warmest regards