“Fantastic time , Very relaxing !”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 10 June 2012

Went to this resort with my sister and it was more then i expected it was very clean well presented and the staff all friendly dedicated and polite . The jerk chicken was so nice we had it dinner and tea if we could the Bob Marley shots are a must ;0) just ask for one . The pool bar at 3pm was very entertaining . The owener seemed to be everywhere but doing nothing or either eating . Was not quite sure what to make of him , The hotel offerd us a upgrade to runaway bay which we turned down because we liked it so mutch at RDMB we didnt want to chance it not been what we liked . The Beds around the pool were very comfy unlike the beach ones but the pool views are stunning so we spent quite a bit of time chilling around the pool ! I managed to spot two types of humming birds in the gardens which were lovely to watch while on the garden swing the garden.The garden's are so well managed and pretty ! The hamocks were lovely to chill and watch the sunsetts with a lovely Alexander Cocktail ;0) too. The animation team do a fantastic job and are very dedicated and it shows too. our room was large and fresh lots of T.V channels and a fantastic sea view , The best room view ive ever had . The glass bottom boat trip and the hotel catamaran were a pleasure to do and fun ! Captain polly was really informative with his 25 yrs experience .
Negatives were Air con broken and hair dryer but the problem was fixed with both . The lift is so small and it was very dirty at times . We was 401 room so views onto the stage the music was booming at night. Ear plug's are needed but i slept through it with ear plugs thank goddness . The music went off at 11 ish so not to late but we could not hear the T.V etc if we wanted to watch it so that was very anoying . Apart from these issues a fantastic fun holliday and i will return i just loved Jamaica !

Room Tip: Lower number rooms are a lot queiter
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
6  Thank clarabell33

Dear Clarabell33,

Thanks a million for your feedback. It is truly appreciated. Nevertheless should you feel there are anything we could improve please let me know. I will pass the compliment to the concern staff including Captain Polly!

RDMB

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Royal Decameron Montego Beach

Reviewed 9 June 2012

May 28-June 02 was our 5th visit to the Royal Decameron Montego Bay and once again our home away from home did not disappoint!

STAFF: Sadly there has been major staff turn over favourites like Zulu, Shorna, Nestor and Ann Marie are gone. Staff that are still there remembered us, and welcomed us like family. Special shout outs to: Georgie, Ms. Beverly, Michael, JP, Lee, Shaydene and Patreece.

The new staff members showed real dedication in ensuring that our experience was every bit as wonderful as our other 4 stays. In fact we received an invitation to a repeat guest cocktail party complete with a Mento band, champagne and lovely food. There we were introduced to all the dept heads of the resort, including the new General Manager Allain Richard who has been making changes and seemed really sincere about implementing staff/guest suggestions.

ROOMS: Rooms are large (yes dated) and VERY CLEAN with new flat screen tv’s. Our only complaint was the lighting was very poor – Allain Richard stated that the rooms are slated to under go a face-lift with new lighting and furniture this year.

A/C: This worked too well BRRRRRRR!! I love hot weather and hubby is a polar bear so he was happy.

RESORT OVERALL: This resort is geared to the relaxed 30+ crowd, and not suited to children under 14 or the spring break crowds.
Please if you are going to bring your children ***SUPERVISE THEM *** and don’t rely on other guests or staff to monitor their whereabouts or control their behaviour.

FOOD: Was adequate no complaints at all.
-Thanks to Patreece we got booked into the Souk Restaurant and we can highly recommend the Jerk Pork and the Chicken Supreme - both dishes were out of this world good

HIP STRIP:
Walked the hip strip at least 3 a day and had no problems running the gauntlet. No one was aggressive or rude towards us. To demonstrate that they had the ability to walk the strip safely we took many other guests with us on our walks with NO PROBLEMS.

BEST SHOPPING FINDS:
- SONA Duty Free Shop (only a 5 minute walk from the resort)
Located beside the Gloucestershire Hotel (across the street from the entrance of the Doctor's Cave Beach)

- SONA sells Jewellery, T-Shirts, etc and they are licenced and approved by the Jamaica Tourist Board. GREAT PRICES!! Ask for Raj or Sam

- SPICE WORLD (across the street from resort) ask for Derrick aka “ Big Man” Good selection for brand name: chips, pop, candies, toiletries and liquor at very reasonable prices (MUCH cheaper than the resort’s gift shop)

TOURS:
As with last year we arranged transportation with Mr. Linford Gordon Tel: 876-805-1529 who once again provided us with excellent service in his new fully air conditioned mini bus. He is FULLY licenced by the Jamaican Tourist board, and is one of the finest Jamaican tour guides we have ever met. You can find Mr. Gordon of JUTA taxi in the parking lot across the street from the resort

– We had to visit YS FALLS again it is a paradise. There are 7 waterfalls that cascade into natural mineral pools, which are surrounded by lush gardens and a jungle canopy. Zip lining and river tubing are also available at a nominal cost but are so worth it. Forget about going to Dunns River Falls it’s a tourist trap with VERY AGGRESSIVE vendors.

SCOTCHIES – (Montego Bay location)
- Approximately 8-10 miles from the resort
- Real jerk food cooked directly on pimento wood logs
- Reasonable prices, rustic atmosphere
- Friendly staff, CLEAN PREMISES
- The food here is so good with melt in your mouth Jerk Chicken & Pork (try the festival bread) This place should be on every foodie’s bucket list. I am drooling just thinking about it!

IN CLOSING:
I am completely confused as to why people are posting such negative reviews about the food and staff? Really it comes down to this – spend the extra dollars to fly 4+ hours, then hop into a hot sweaty bus for another 1.5 hours to finally arrive at a faceless mega plex - full of plastic food and people, where you will be treated as a walking ATM and you can stuff your face with bland burgers, fries and mac n’cheese – or better yet STAY HOME!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Salsah_Mama

Dear Salsah Mama,

Thanks a million for your feedback. Big Hugs.

Reviewed 9 June 2012

My Husband and I went to Jamaica for five days. The last day I stayed at the hotel. I have to say coming to Jamaica for the first time i enjoyed my stay. I have to say that this hotel should be ranked as a five star. I enjoyed my the food, the people, the fun. I am looking forward to coming back very soon. The things I enjoyed the most is the friendly people that works there. And how the place is kept very clean. I am looking forward to spending more time at this hotel and in Jamaica.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cynthia s

Dear Cynthia S,

Reviewed 8 June 2012

Ok first off when we booked(my bestfriend and I) we thought ok no problem we will stay on resort and we wont have to worry about being robbed or harrassed if we go on strip..... Wrong!! We didnt want to get room cleaned because we didnt want our stuff missing.. But on the second day we said oh ok we didnt think so long story short my pandora bracelet went missing... As im going downstairs to inform the from desk I get stuck in the elevator.... Once there they let security they search ALL my belongings still no bracelet. So after speaking to them they say supervisor will contact you in a.m. which never happen wasnt until 6 pm after repeatedly calling to find out who this person was they say no report was filed. After speakung to this supervisor which said he came to my room which never happen they take us to General manager he said that the housekeeper never saw it and nothing will be dne to compensate me. I asked for a copy of report he flat out says no bc they cant find it! He told me to go to police and file a report. After all of that not getting messages from my fiancee and the food being mediocre I was pissed. I asked for phone to be fixed not until we spoke to general manager it was fixed. Only good part of this this trip was the enetertainment ppl Dale, Baby Boi, Shackena, Sha, Fraz they are the only reasons I came out my room oh yeah I dnt want to leave out the Bartenders from the pool bar and the bar by main stage!

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Sincerelyyours09
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Dear Sincerelyyours09,

Thanks fo taking the time to submit your review on Trip Advisor. Your comments are very important to Improve our services.

The security supervisor that was suppoosed to take a report for your alledged missing bracelet since not reporting by written which is a serious breach to our internal policy is no longer a collaborator of ROYAL DECAMERON MONTEGO BEACH RESORT.

In your review you mentionned : "General manager he said that the housekeeper never saw it and nothing will be done to compensate me. I asked for a copy of report he flat out says no bc they cant find it! He told me to go to police and file a report."

Let me correct what I have said : I told you I will not compensate you. I had no report to give since it didn't exist and ask you if you would like to have a police report. We could have easily called the police, they would have come and make a report or if you wish you clould also go to the station which is a 5 minutes walk which is much faster.

I also have asked you about your stay. How everything was and you didn't mention anything about the food. As you qualify our food of Mediocre, I would love to hear from you and see how can we improve our food quality.

The housekeeper that cleaned your room, whom happened to be the only one to have a key of your room is our employees for 7 years and never had a issue with her. She has been checked and nothing was found on her or in her locker.

The phone repair is something that should have done in 10 minutes from the day you reported but if you remember you had posted the "DO NOT DISTURB" sign to your door and this is something in every hotels in the world that cannot be violated but there were lack of follow up from our part it and there are no excuses for this. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience.

Best regards

GM

Reviewed 8 June 2012

I wanted to getaway for the memorial weekend, I booked my trip to Jamaica the night before I left, this hotel was one that had a great deal (all Inclusive) for a very low price. I must say at first I was hesitant about staying in Montego Bay because I think Negril is much nicer. We arrived at the Royal Decameron Montego Bay on 5/26/2012 at 9:30am once I got there I absolutely loved it, loved it..The place was so beautiful and you did not get the feel of being in the busy city of Montego Bay at all, all the rooms are ocean view and very clean, the staff at the front desk and the staff at the bars are so helpful and friendly..I did not have to ask twice for anything I needed. The entertainment was wonderful every night I was there my son had a ball, the singers in the lobby performed everyday and they were so entertaining..Hello Joseph (stammer)..

Housekeeping was great (Keisha) you are the best, she made sure my room was very clean everyday and she was soooo nice..I was not able to see her before I left but I will return and I will remember her..Thank Keisha.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone and I would return to Montego Bay only to stay at the Royal Decameron. The food I think was good and fresh, they had a large selection to choose from..The waiters and waitresses were very helpful and attentive to your needs. Trust me I am a very picky person but I must say the Royal Decameron know how to entertain their guests. The guys that work there make sure you're never bored. The employees all smile with you. You have no need to go anywhere else when you are at this resort, they had plenty for you to do and even though its close to the aiport you are not bothered or disturbed by the airplanes, the view is WONDERFUL..I did not want to leave this hotel.. BUT!! I just did not like when the jamaican food ran out because the employees would come from all over the resort to get food from the buffet area and the hotel guests would not get to have enough or any at all, I think that is a little unprofessional..Other from that I loved it there and would definately return again and again...

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family