“Great location on the beach and near the hipstrip”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #23 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Every room has a balcony and a seaview which is stunning. The restaurants (2) have seaviews and the service from both were excellent. We decided to take trips to various places and used a taxi company recommended by the hotel,We bartered a bit and got a good deal especially for a trip tp Negril. The driver stopped at various places of interest on route all included in the price.We have been to Jamaica on 3 other occasions and have stayed in different hotels. The Royal Decameron does not have a very wide beach but what it lacks here it makes up in other areas.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sherry C

Reviewed 26 March 2012

ROOMS - We had a 3rd floor room in main building (316) and was great, large king size bed, flat screen tv (had 110 channels like HBO, ESPN, Sportsnet, CBC, CNN, Fox, BBC, Fox Sports, too many to list, but we never watched or turned on very much), sliding patio doors with 2 chairs and table on patio overlooking the ocean (pools to the left), could hear the music from pool bar which was great, table and chairs inside room also, iron and board, air conditioner works excellent has remote control, safe in room $2 a day, hairdryer, ceiling fan, was an ice machine on 3rd floor and 1st floor, elevator (very small max 4 people, with luggage a tight fit for 2 ppl). Short 30 second walk to the lobby bar. Rooms were spacious, bathroom shower was light on water pressure, but everything was as we expected and we liked it. Your get a actual key (not slide card) and has band to wrap around wrist so you can swim with it etc. Will only get 1 key when check in, but if you ask they can give you a second ($50 for a lost key and $20 for lost pool card/towel). Also they give you 2 cards for pool towels. No fridge or coffee maker, bring a collapseable cooler as they have ice.

FOOD/BARS - Would have to say this was one of the best places we visited and were very satisfied with the food. For breakfast Juices were great, selection of Watermelon Juice, Cucumber, Orange, Papaya, Fruit, Chocolate Milk, White Milk, Carrot, Soursop, all sorts of juices (help yourself station). Omelette station made to order, huge omelletes made by Kirk (the best breakfast cook!), eggs any style, huge belgian waffles, bacon, patties, french toast, pancakes, yogurts and fruit like melon, orange, pineapple, apple, papaya, several types of cereals, dumplings, plus 7 other different hot items like sausage, jerk, patties, potato, scrambled eggs, cabbage, cant remember them all, and they switched daily. We never really ate lunch buffet, would just goto the snack bar as we drank at the swim up bar all morning, for snack bar they had awesome jerk wings, hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries, all buffet style, or you could ask for a grilled cheese or a pizza! All great but I LOVED the jerk wings! Dinner they had everything, seafood night, jamaican night, everything from jerk chicken, jerk pork, ham, seafood soup, rack of lamb, roast beef, curried goat, maple sauce chicken, ham, always had a fish either fried or a sauce, nice salad selections, the breads are amazing, must try the breads! Desert station they have cheesecake, choclate cakes, ice cream, rum cakes and other cakes.... As for booze, they have it all, located at 3 main bars, the pool swim up bar is open 10am-5pm, the snack bar is 12pm-5pm and also has draft beer you help yourself, this tap is now shut off at 5pm where as before was left on all night, the lobby bar is 11am-12am, and the entertainment/stage bar is 11am-11pm. The Disco opens at 11pm-2am, although usually slow and not many people go, one thing I noticed most people crash before it even opens, few times I went and was 5-10 people at the disco on most nights. They only have Red Stripe beer, and some of my favorite drinks were a Hummingbird, Chi Chi, and if you want a strong shot try a Bob Marley... they have a cocktail list board hanging at the bars. Will make any drink you want pretty much, Rum, Vodka, Whiskey etc... bring your own mug they have no problem filling it for you. NOTE the drinks are very strong, double shots at least, even rum punch tastes like pure rum only. The a la carte restaurant was pretty good, you need to make reservations the day of, and usually by 8:30am they are booked solid so make sure you make reservations (at fr.desk) at least before 8am. They have stuffed chicken breast, prawns, steak, etc. The Entertainment starts around 8pm-11pm, great dancers, some theme nights, we had a magic show one night was great, they also have fun shows where they bring guests on stage for contests and games. The snack bar is now closed at 5pm and now you goto the main restaurant which serves the late night snacks from 11pm-1am.

BEACH/RESORT - The beaches are great, not crowded, can always get a chair, same with at the pool, lots of chairs available. The swimup bar and 2 bars is very active mostly around 3-5pm when the entertainment staff is around to play games, we did beer chugging contest, beer pong, water volleyball, beach volleyball, soccer, water polo, they do aqua aerobics every day. And NO they do not play Rap music, none at all, but yes they play alot of american top 40, hip hop and r&b, the morning they play the most reggae but not alot, then 3pm til close it's all dance music. On the back side of resort is a half basketball court, horseshoes, a nice gym, a daycare if you want drop off kids, there is hammocks and other hanging chairs all around the property. Hot tub and sauna located on other side along with a massage room ($30 15 min, $40 for half hour, $60 for 50 min, open 9-5pm). The Snorkelling is awesome, best spot is the beach right in front of the restaurant, go out 30 feet and you''ll see tons of nice fish, bring water shoes! They also have kayaks or paddleboats you can use at no charge. Glass bottom boat you can go on as well for a fee (heard $20 but not sure, his name is Cpt.Polly). Lifeguards always out at the end of the 3 docks on duty. Oceanside they have nice large mattress types to lounge on, and lots of covers/shades to lay under. One complaint I did have is the pool closes at 5pm, every day, when still sunny out and just when the party is getting good and people have their buzz on from the swim up bar, lol. If you enjoy watching planes you're be happy to watch all the planes land in almost every hour, they fly right over the ocean in front, kinda cool. If you're looking for reptiles or lizards (like in Mexico, Cuba etc) you will have to look hard, we only saw 1 tiny lizard on a hallway wall, besides that nothing, but there is land and sea crabs near the beach (goto the one pier that has a long rock pier and you'll see plenty of sea crabs).

STAFF - The best! Bartenders are great, Marc, Chris, Simone, Kelesha, Biggs, James Bond, all of them are amazing and friendly, they will chat it up with you, so friendly. The grounds staff is always cleaning, painting, keeping the resort very clean, the maids are great, sometimes tho your room doesn't get cleaned til late afternoon, not a problem with us, and the GM Alain Richard is always walking around, from 7am til 11pm he never leaves, lol... also the managers Lee Sinclair and S.Myers are great! The management treats everyone great, they have a cocktail VIP party for repeat guests. I felt like a VIP after one visit! Entertainment staff is the best, from the host 'showtime' to all the dancers, we really enjoyed Shae, Kimberly, Samantha, Baby Boy, Zulu, all were amazing! You must hit the pool around 3pm til close, they always have a blast there with the guests! There is also a tour rep on site (beside gift shop out front) and can book tours or get flight info. For tours we only used ZIPP, he is wonderful, took us to Negril, Ocho Rios, anywhere we wanted! Msg me and I can give you his email address or phone number. Highly recommended from others which is how we found him, a great tour guide! And check out the 3 peice band that plays in the lobby (you'll hear the singer from a mile away), they play songs like ABCDEFG, Mary had a little lamb, twinkle twinkle litte star, LMAO they know no real songs just made up alphabet or nursey ryhmes, haha. Also the front desk can break big bills for you, in US funds (what we used). Sometimes it is better to use Jamaican currency, seems like when it's 500 jamaican they would charge a bit more if you paid US.

AIRPORT - When they say close to airport they aren't kidding, maybe a 5 minute drive if that. Customs was pretty easy for us, we arrived on a friday, heard that Saturdays can get crazy and long lines, overall took us about half hour to go through, get luggage and then out to the shuttle area where we waited maybe 5 minutes for our shuttle bus. Can buy a beer or cold drink right outside.

LOCATION and TO DO - 5 minute ride from the airport, gated entry with security out front which you give room number when leaving resort, hip strip to your right, few bars and stores on left side across street including the Craft Market where you'll get hounded if you go (located in a back alley), always asking you to come see their crafts, very pushy and dont like the word NO, lol... if you need a store I would recommend "Strawberries" just 1 minute walk away, cheaper than the hotel gift shop and they have everything the craft market has plus more, including free calls to US/Canada! They also give discount for RDMB guests or ask the security guard for a discount card. Beer, Booze, Shirts, Cuban Cigars, souveniers etc... they have lots! The hotel gift shop also has lots but more pricey... also if you're craving a beer from back home they have Heineken, Miller Lite, Guiness etc.... but you're in Jamaica mon so keep it Red Stripe!! Plenty of snacks that would get back home also like chocolate bars, doritos, candy, pop. As you walk further up the hip strip you will find Doctors Cave beach, Twisted Kilt Irish Pub, The Pelican Restaurant, Harley Davidson Shop, Havana Club, Coral Cliff Casino, Moods Strip Club, Tongue & Groove Bar, Margaritaville (pricey, $5 a beer, $15 pitcher of beer, $8 margarittas, free entry and shuttle at night for RDMB guests, the busiest and best time during the day is wednesdays when the cruise ships come in, get to Margaritaville by at least 10:30am before it fills up), those all within 10 minute walking distance. As you go further will find Lovers Park (park for locals, nice) The Pork Pit restaurant ($10 jerk chicken), and then downtown Mobay where mostly locals and shops but also popular bar called Pier 1 (busy on Fri/Sat). We walked to downtown and were only tourist's there, lol, we felt safe but also felt everyone was watching us, went to the shops, groceries, stores, church, town square, and the larger craft market. Not recommended for everyone, you will feel a bit unsafe and get looks and even approached from locals wanting to be your personal guide (of course expecting $$$). We had no problems as we always go out of the tourist zones for some real experience and like to mingle with the locals. I would say overall most people stay at the resort, the majority that go out to hip strip do it during day and not at night, and you will get annoyed with the constant sellers, wether its crafts, shops, or in my case I was offered smoke (Bob Marley smoke as they call it, lol) ganja, and others like cocaine, hash, shrooms lol by tons of people! I didn't mind, a polite no and they would walk away, think they asked me more often than others in our group, i'm in my late 30's and I guess I attract the dealers, hahaha, the craft sellers are alot more demanding and pushy. DONT LET any of the craft sellers try to put something on you like wrist bands, necklaces etc, they will expect you to pay for it. I was a little dissapointed with the Hip Strip, besides the souvenier stores and crafts, not much to do other than get harrased all the time to buy stuff, and not very busy as I expected. I always explore the countries and go off strip in places like Cuba and Mexico from anywhere between 11pm til 4am and never felt worried, however doubt I would take a stroll to the hip strip at those hours, not because it's unsafe just because nothing much to do and you do get approached alot to buy. I was expecting more night clubs, but wasn't like that. I did goto ocho Rios and Negril, and honestly I liked Montego Bay alot better from what I saw. RDMB is best location. We used ZIPP for some tours, he took us to Dunns River Falls, was great, we did the entire climb, stopped along way for pictures and sightseeing, also went to Negril for the seven mile beach and then Ricks Cafe for sunset and cliff diving. I was a little dissapointed with Negril, yes they have the long beaches, but not much different than at our resort, sand is same to me, I actually liked our beach better at the resort where theres no peddlers selling stuff, where as in negril it was just like walking down hip strip all over again! And they say the sunset is much better in negril, I didn't see any difference, Sunset is beautiful anywhere from our resort. We did Parasailing ($50 pp) and Jetskiing ($50 per jet ski for half hour, 2 of us so $25 each) and was amazing, had cold beer and jet around for half hour was insane, LOL. Ricks Cafe was cool, but just like Margaritaville you pay like you do back home, $5 beers, $8 drinks, overpriced food... the cliff divers were great to watch, I did the one jump (think 35 feet) you just leave a tip and dive off (make sure you enter water feet first and if not expect to hurt after, I got a huge bruise from one leg hitting the water, but worth it, LOL. Once the sunset is over, the place clears out. We also went downtown Montego Bay,

OVERALL - We LOVED this resort, a great vacation, was mostly all adults, met some great folks right near our hometown and we partied all week!! Food was better than I expected, last trip we went to Varadero Cuba and was no comparison, the RDMB food was wonderful. We are repeat visitors to Puerto Vallarta Mexico and to compare this resort with there is a close call, we love both. The staff here are outgoing, the location is great, rooms were very clean, entire resort is clean and always have someone cleaning and paining or gardening, tip top shape for a resort built in the 50's. We have no complaints really, only thing was the pool closing at 5pm, and the disco was dead at night for us late partiers, but besides that we will for sure stay here again! After going to Negril and Ocho Rios for day trips, which were lovely, we just liked the small resort like the RDMB much better, the staff all gets to know you, they greet you every morning, you get to know other guests and spend the week together just having fun. Great Resort! I do like to go out at night and honestly was a little dissapointed with the Hip Strip and the lack of what to do at night besides mostly just souvenier shops and no dance bars or night clubs except for margaritaville and pier 1, but whatever, most nights half our party was crashed by 10pm anyways, I stayed up mingled with guests and had a great time on the resort. If you're looking for a very fair priced resort in Jamaica and not a huge resort, this place is perfect! I wouldn't say it's for kids, mostly adults and ages range from 20's to 50's and up..... this resort was great for a 3.5 star! I have tons of pics just send me a message and be glad to send you the link or any questions feel free to contact me or for ZIPP and his info for a much better private tour guide. Thank you Royal Decameron Montego Bay for a great week!!!!

Room Tip: Main building is 4 stories, first floor has walk out patios, very nice, the 2nd and 3rd floor you ma...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
19  Thank Jeff S
Reviewed 22 March 2012

We have just come back from a week in Montego Bay at the Royal Decameron there.This hotel is very well maintained,the views from the ocean view rooms are fantastic.The staff here right from the general manager to the maintenance were all very helpful and cheerful anytime we had conversations.The ambiance of this hotel and the obvious pride the people working there have in it,make it a grat place to visit and keep coming back to.The food is quite varied,and their service in the a la carte area was terrific.If you want a great place to go to relax,be able to walk the "hip strip" in Montrgo Bay,The Royal Decameron in Montego Bay is the place to stay at!!

Room Tip: We enjoyed the second floor rooms with the balconys as the views are stunning!1
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank RURALPERSON
Reviewed 22 March 2012

This will be my third trip to the decameron, I leave this weekend to go back. I really enjoy this resort, staff is very welcoming and friendly. Grounds and rooms are kept very clean, considering the mess we tourists make. Food is great, wide variety at buffet and ala carte is nice for a quieter served dinner. The price is excellent for what you get. If you are expecting a 5 star, then you need to stay at 5 star. I love the down to earth feel to this resort and the location. Oceanview is beautiful, steps to the beach. It is right on the hip strip, many things to do and see within walking distance. 5 minutes from the airport. Royal DeCameron is a great resort to stay at and I cant wait to go back!!!

N.Williams
Toronto, ON

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank sweetie1668
Reviewed 22 March 2012

My boyfriend and I (both 23) just came back from the Royal Decameron. We stayed 3/10 -3/16 and it was absolutely amazing! We got a taxi at the airport, just about a 5 minute ride. We arrived to the hotel around 12 pm, we weren't able to check in right away but it was not a problem at all, we headed to lunch and the bar! Once we got checked into our room we headed on up to the 4th floor in the main building. Our room was big, bright and had a balcony with an amazing view! Our housekeeper made sure our room was ALWAYS clean, that we always had bottled water, towels, everything. The overall hotel was always being cleaned or very well kept, the grounds outside were beautiful and also well kept. The bars were fun to go to, we made a new friend with one of the bartenders Mark Franklin. (Highly recommended)
The staff there overall was very welcoming, and always taking care of you. Everyone has a smile and is happy! (Which is what we want on vacation, right!?) The food at this resort was delicious, they had a huge variety from pasta, tacos, jamaican dishes, salads, soups.... every thing. There is another restaurant which requires reservations that is also very good. Wonderful waitstaff. For anyone who likes to get a little snack later on they serve hot dogs, cheeseburgers, french fries in the main dining hall from about 10-12 or so. We sat on the beach everyday of our trip, pulled our chairs right into the water and we couldn't have asked for anything better. One day we went on the Miss Poly snorkeling and glass bottom boat tour. $20 a person and very well worth the money, beautiful, beautiful sights. (Can be found right by the water sports hut) The entertainment at night was pretty good, we caught the comedy show one night and then the show with the
dancers acting out Oscar winning movies. There is a little gift shop right on the property and they sell all sorts of stuff, very helpful. We left the resort a couple times to explore the hip strip. They had tons and tons of stores, people asking if you want your hair braided or to come visit their shops. A simple no thank you will work. - The closest ATM to the resort is in walking distance... Scotia Bank. They do offer internet to buy, $5/hour which we got a couple of times and it worked great. They have two computers by the bar in the main lobby and they are logged on for free internet, just expect a short wait. We will definitely be returning next year for at least two weeks, it was an amazing trip! I would recommend highly to anyone. : )

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple