“Absolutely loved it!”

Royal Decameron Montego Beach
Ranked #25 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 8 March 2012

Recently returned from a 7 night stay at RDMB. 2 couples in our late 40s/early 50s. It was 1st trip to Jamaica for all of us. For anyone wanting just a brief review we all loved the resort and would highly recommend it. For more details read on:

Hotel buildings/rooms - we found the look of the hotel in general and the rooms to be very appealing. We loved all the natural wood in the property and the furniture and the colourful décor of the rooms and the property as a whole. The rooms are clean and attractive. Our room came with a king size bed (very comfortable) with a nightstand/drawers and lamps on each end., decent TV on top of another set of drawers, sitting table with 2 chairs, tile floor, iron board and iron, hair dryer, soap, shampoo and body lotion, drinking glasses, and a wall safe. No coffee maker (but hey free coffee available so no big deal) and no fridge (we brought a collapsible cooler, worked great). Apparently some rooms have fridges, may be a small additional charge. Nice large patio/balcony with 2 chairs, 1 table, sliding doors and a fantastic view (pretty much all the rooms here have great ocean views).

The hotel is a bit older (I heard built around 1950s but not sure) and is showing some minor signs of wear and tear. However, the rooms, building, and grounds are immaculately maintained. From what I saw the staff is working very hard to keep the property in the best condition possible. All in all I’d say the hotel/rooms are at least deserving of the property’s 3.5 star rating and I’d say in my mind it should be higher (4-4.5).

Housekeeping - As I already hinted at, the staff is diligent in keeping the property looking good. That includes the housekeeping staff. Our room was kept extremely clean and all supplies restocked regularly. Service was done on a timely basis every day. In a word the housekeeping services are outstanding.

Bars - the property has 3 full bars (lobby, pool, and by the stage) and a snack bar that serves beer. At least 1 bar is open from 11AM to 2AM each day. They serve a wide variety of quality brands and cocktails, more than I’ve seen available at some higher star rated resorts. The staff is friendly and the service generally quick and efficient.

Food - there is a buffet open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. In my mind the quality and variety of the food was very good in the buffet. Some all inclusives I’ve been too have pretty much the same food choices each day. Not so here. While some items are the same/similar each day (i.e. salad items, breads), they change most of the hot food entrees and side dishes regularly so that you can have a different meal each day. Examples of some entrée dishes offered when we were there: jerk chicken and pork (delicious), curried goat, curried chicken (curries outstanding!), fried chicken, pasta (various) dishes, roasted ham, roasted pork, Beef Wellington, tacos, pork chops. Beef a bit chewy but everything else was excellent. Don’t overlook the soups, some of the best I’ve had anywhere, delicious! Not one of our group had a meal we did not enjoy. The service is friendly and efficient (yes there is a pattern developing here). There is also a snack bar by the beach that is open from noon-5PM and again from 11PM-1AM daily. They serve hot dogs, hamburgers, chicken wings (jerk - yummy!), pizza, and salads (oh and Red Stripe on tap). The pizzas are made fresh upon request are quite good. We tried everything and it was all very tasty. There is 1 ala carte restaurant which we never got around to trying (the buffet was too good so we didn’t bother).

Entertainment
Nightly stage shows from about 8PM-11PM and a once a week beach party Sunday night from about 8:30PM-11PM. We didn’t see all the shows but what we saw was pretty entertaining. Dancing, singing, and fire breathing. Staff works at getting crowd involved. There is also a band playing outside the restaurant during the day. Good Caribbean and reggae music, charming. They also have a disco open from 11PM-2AM daily. We went once and weren’t that fond of the music as it seems more designed for the 20-30 crowd (although apparently they do have stuff more to our liking i.e. 80s nights, reggae nights - but unfortunately we found out about those too late).

Beach/pools/water sports
2 pools of good size considering size of the resort. 1 of the pools is more active with volleyball going on a lot of the time and a swim up bar) and the other is a little more laid back (i.e. the “quiet” pool). Nice to have a choice. Not too much trouble finding a spot, except shaded spots go quick, but that’s typical anywhere. I’d like to hear a little more reggae and rock and less rap but that’s an age thing mostly I guess. Beaches - there are kind of 3 different beach areas. The middle one is the biggest and when you want to go in the water here its deep right off (i.e. off the dock/boardwalk). Great for those who like to do some swimming and snorkelling. The 2 smaller beaches on the sides you can walk into the water. Some say the beaches are small here and I suppose they are to some degree but still very serviceable. We enjoyed them, no complaints. You can’t take a long walk on the beach as its gated off at each end of the property and the middle part runs along a boardwalk. But that appears to be typical in MoBay (i.e. every place has their part of the beach fenced/gated off. In short if you want to relax/lounge on the beach and suntan and swim no problems. If you like a beach that you can go for a 30-60 minute stroll you cant do it here and I don’t think in MoBay. Water sports - snorkelling equipment provided at no charge. You can go in a glass bottom boat ride for $20/hour and they will take you to nice snorkelling areas. I believe there is more stuff available but didn’t check it out.

Hot tub/sauna - huge hot tub loved it! Some wonder why we want a hot tub when its 30C but we still used it often as its so relaxing. Didn’t try the sauna.

Location - Awesome location. First of all pretty much all the rooms have fantastic ocean views. And the ocean is so close the rooms its great, its only a few feet from the hotel. Cant beat it. We also liked the location being right in the Hip Strip area. Plenty of sights to see, shops, bar, restaurants, exploring etc., right outside the property within walking distance. We just loved that, so many all inclusive hotels are sort of right in the middle of nowhere, so this was just great.

Staff and service - if you haven’t picked up on it yet, in our view the staff is all around outstanding. Everyone we came across was very friendly and provided good service. When we checked out they gave us a form and one of the questions was if a particular staff member did something to make your stay more enjoyable. I could not think of just one person so I put all of them and that is the truth -they all treated us very well.

The bumping issue - Before we went there was some posts saying RDMB was bumping people to a resort they took over in Runaway Bay (Royal DeCameron Fun Caribbean). We did not see or hear of anyone being forced (bumped) to go to RDFC. Some chose to go and @ RDMB they do promote it quite a bit. If you want to go from RDMB to RDFC for a few days you certainly can do that. Despite us not actually witnessing it, apparently there is still some people being bumped unwillingly. Again all I can say is we didn’t hear of it or see it happening to anyone.

The only minor complaint we have is the music. As I mentioned earlier we’d have liked to hear a little more reggae and Caribbean flavoured music, and a little less rap. But again that is mostly due to us being late 40s/early 50s. I am sure the younger ones liked it. Found it a bit odd though as it appears that most of the clientele is a bit older (i.e. 35+). Again, just a minor complaint, it didn’t take away from our enjoyment much. We had an IPOD to listen to our own tunes in the room so not a big deal.

To sum up we loved this resort and had a great time. We will definitely return and only wish we had booked longer. I would highly recommend this resort to anyone.

Room Tip: Virtually all rooms have great views. Rooms in the seperate 2 storey complex are quieter.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Vegaslovers777
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 March 2012

RDMB is such a special hotel; no wonder it has a huge number of repeat guests. This was my third trip to RDMB and I must say that I continue to be pleased with my experiences.

There is a new manager since my last trip and he has a visible presence around the resort. A super friendly guy and always willing to stop and chat with guests. He has instituted a weekly returning guest cocktail party, as well as promoted a number of staff and started giving employee recognition awards. He is active on Facebook and answers questions personally. There are always some grumblings with a management change, but I think he is doing very well.

Food was good, as expected. Service remains a little spotty and slow in the a la carte, but no one is rushing you either. There are also plans to test drive a new Thai menu and if popular with guests, they will be opening a second a la carte at the beach grill. The buffet is one of the best I have experienced while travelling in the Caribbean with a nice mix of local and international cuisine, as well as an extensive salad bar. The breads and soups are absolutely delicious. There is not a 24 hour food option at the hotel but you can get something to eat almost any time. The beach grill opens in the evening until 1am and the buffet opens early too.

Drinks flow freely and you will quickly get to know and love some of the bartenders. Shout out to the lobby bartenders Mark and Kelesha! Service at the pool bar/swim up bar was great. Bartenders knew my drink of choice - but perhaps that is not a good thing!

Entertainment staff are lots of fun, but I did hear complaints that the activities were not held. Often times it is because no one shows up to participate. I did see the aqua aerobics held almost daily, even though there was only 1 guest a couple times. They certainly aren't pushy like at some hotels. Also remember that they work 16+ hour days (sometimes 7am to 2am split shifts) 6 days a week and always have a smile on. If you want to participate in something, just ask. Zuma and the beach olympics are always popular. Evening entertainment is enjoyable - reggae band at 830, then the show (dancers or interactive) at 930. Disco is hit or miss depending on the crowd that week. It is air conditioned though!

Overall, a great holiday. Not sure how long I can hold out until I return. I always have a wonderful time, whether travelling with family, friends or solo and am made to feel very welcome. There is a reason this hotel often has no availability.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank PrincessGolden
Reviewed 7 March 2012

This was our very first resort experience and I will admit that we were kind of nervous because of the star rating,but we were not the ones that bookedt he trip. We went for a Wedding. Our experience was above and beyond our expectations. The service/ staff was amazing and made our stay a very enjoyable one! The food was amazing and the entertainment was great!!! The only complaint that I do have is the pool and swim up bar closed at 5pm. We are already planning to go back in the near future!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
8  Thank Sarah C
Reviewed 6 March 2012

We stayed for one week in December and it was wonderful. We have enjoyed several all inclusive and to be honest had lowered our expectations for this stay. This was our first experience at a less than 5 star resort and I don't think we will ever take stars into account again when choosing a destination. The usual great stuff was there: room with a wonderful ocean view, nice pool, bars, open air lobby. What blew my mind was the food. We had resolved that you go south for sun, never for culinary but this resort proved me wrong. Oxtail, goat, amazing fish dishes, spicy salads and legumes, fresh breads and vegetables, variety ever day. A la carte is a waste of time at any resort. You know it's just the buffet food served to you on a plate and that you had to set your watch so that dinner time reservations could rule your beach time. The beach grill was open every night at 11 PM for casual fare if you missed the buffet. The staff was just right, not too interruptive but made sure you were having a great time. If you are looking for a laid back vacation in a nice quiet place this is a wonderful option.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ally Mack B
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stayed here for 14 days and have just returned home from our trip. We flew in at 1am after a 3 hour wait at customs to enter the country we thought, wouldnt it be great to get to our hotel have a drink and a bite to eat before we go to bed for the night. Well after the 5 minute drive we arrived @ the hotel and waited for another hour to be checked in. As we were the last ones off the bus. While waiting we noticed that NO bar was open and we had to wait until morning to have somethng to eat. Once we were all checked in the group of 6 of us was told all of your rooms are together, while the bellhop explained that to us walking us to our rooms, one is here, the next one is 2 doors down, then the other is around the other side of the building. Huh, in Canada when you say they are all together that means exactly that not 2 rooms together and 1 on the other side of the building. That morning as we woke up @ 6am wwe heard this loud noise, I look outside and say wow they are fogging for pests. Isnt that nice first morning to be awoken by this loud motor fogging the place. I didnt think this was a bad thing until every other morning I was woken up to this noise. If your a hard sleeper then your good as gold. We went and had some breakfast and when I asked for an omlette and some bacon the guy was really trying to hit on me and my husband & I were not impressed by this. We gave them the benifit of the doubt that it was going to be a one time thing. I mean this is a resort and should have professionals working here right? Wrong as the days went one we found it wasnt just the omlette guy is was all the male staff. It even went as far as one night I went to the disco (not reccomemnded smells like stale beer) to find 2 different male staff in uniform to be dry humpping girls from the resort. I mean there is dirty dancing and then there is just plain disregaurd for professionalism. We had met some ppl on the resort and we were discussing this matter with them. We all agreed that if yur going to behave in that manner take your uniform off and dont let anyone know that you work at the resort. After day 5 we were tired of the food, the drinks were awesome and if you need a stiff one talk to Kleesa usually at the pool bar she was one of the people who made this trip amazing. Also we had our 11 yr old daughter with us and let me tell you that the entertainment staff was awesome! She made friends with them right away and they made sure that she was never board. Shelly, Shea, and Sammy Joe did their jobs and were always entertaining. :) While we were there one of them entertainment staff was let go, not sure of the details but it was around the resort in about 2 hours and that was topic of conversation for the night. Perhaps all this place needs is to have someone go and show them what being a professional means and these few things that I have shared are only a few of the things that happened. Over all if this is your home base and you want to cruise the strip this is a place to stay. The rooms were clean and if you want to have some fun durring the day the staff is always fun. Check out was a headache that I wont get into but for a 3 star resort you get what you pay for. I would go back to Janaica it is a beautiful country with wonderful ppl.

Room Tip: stay on the ground level if you can I was told the ones on the second level are full of ants
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family