“No Problems, mon!”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 26 January 2011

My husband and I traveled with two friend couples and had a wonderful time. So relaxing! We found service to be very accomodating, the resort to be clean, and felt safe every moment from beach to excursions! I speak on behalf of the group when I point out some exceptional people-----Nadine, our beach waitress who kept us in high spirits with more rum and Diet Cokes and 'Surprise me Drinks" than we thought possible. We sat in her area every day and waited for shift to start. Daniel, the manager who made the Bears/Packers game possible. Our singing Japanese chef from Tokyo, Jamaica who gave me a side-ache from singing---Props to he and Nashville! And to John the bartender who got us Jamaican pizza way past closing hours while we swang and chatted! Beautiful time...just perfect!

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 25 January 2011

We celebrated New Year 2011 in Secrets Wild Orchid. It is one of the best hotels we have ever stayed at. All the staff are extreamly friendly and helpful and you don't get the impression that they are only doing it because they want a tip, unlike other resorts in Egypt for example. The resterants were all A la carte except for one buffet. You only have to pre book the Asian resterant, the others are all first come,first served. If they are full you are given a bleeper and you can just get a drink at the nearest bar until you are called. We like to eat early so never had to use this system as the resterants don't get busy until after 7pm. They have an extensive wine list starting from about £30 per bottle but we were happy to drink the house wine and Champagne which was free.
The resort does not issue wrist bands which is a big plus point. You just have to give your name and room number when you go for a meal and book out if you leave the complex for a walk.
The evening entertainment is very good. The hotel has its own band and various other bands and acts visit on different days. The steel band was very good and they did some amazing dancing aswell.
The piano bar was great for enjoying a sunset drink before our meal.
All staff were very efficient and I can't understand some of the comments saying service was slow because this is rubbish. They work very hard and the Jerky Man that came round the swimming pool and beach area with his trolley was excellent and it was fun listening to his patter. The food from this trolley is part of the all inclusive service and had been cooked in kitchen first so no tummy worries. Cocktails very good try the Bob Marley on the beach makes a good photo.
We went on a few trips Black River very good to see crocs in the wild and visit YS Falls.
Dunns river falls and Dolphin cove very good. You can swim with or just touch the dolphins. Just make sure you get on the right bus as there are Dolphin Coves on the Island. We booked the one that was next to Dunns River and included the water falls climb but ended up getting on the bus to Negril which was just a half day trip and much cheaper than the one we had booked. We still had a great time there and the rep sorted out a free trip to Dunns river as the voucher he gave us did not specify which Dolphin Cove we had booked so easy to make a mistake.
The only thing that I could think of to improve the hotel is a courtesy bus to the shops as its a 45 minute walk or a $60 dollar taxi ride. They did do a bus trip for $15 in the afternoon but most other All Inclusives we have stayed at have done this service for free.
Also free wi fi in the public areas would have been good as $15 per day rather expensive when you can get a month for that back home and internet cafes are all too far away.
All in all an excellent hotel and we would love to return to this hotel again.

3  Thank Steve528878
Reviewed 24 January 2011

I stayed at Secrets Wild Orchid with my husband and 6 friends. We had a great time. As soon as we stepped out of the airport shuttle,the vacation started immediately. We were ushered into the lobby to begin the check-in process, complete with a server to get us drinks while we filled out our paperwork. When our bags arrived at our room, the man who delivered them gave us a tour of our room. It was much needed, as there are light switches all over and sometimes what they control is a mystery (word of advice-one of the switches controls the privacy light in the hall; if the light is on, you will NOT get maid service, turn down service or minibar restocking, so be aware.) The views from every room are fantastic. We were there for 5 nights, so we took advantage of every eating option available. The breakfast buffet was fantastic and all encompassing, but the lunch buffet wasn't as great. Most days we opted for lunch at one of the 2 poolside restaurants. Check out both; the St. James and Wild Orchid have different menus. Another great option is to hang by the pool or beach and enjoy lunch from one of the carts. They offer bbq and of course, jerk chicken. It is available in a few of the other restaurants around the resort, but the jerky jerky guy at the pool had the best. Our first night there, we made reservations for the hibachi at the Humitsu. They fill up fast, so make one ASAP if you want to enjoy the experience. The food at all of the restaurants was fantastic, but some of the portions are smaller. I made sure to order an appetizer, soup or salad (or all 3 if i was extra hungry). We had an hour wait for Portofino and Bordeaux, possibly due to the size of our group. It was no problem, because with so many food options available 24-7, we never went so long without food that we couldn't wait an hour to eat. We just mosied over to the centrally located piano bar with our pagers and enjoyed some drinks and good company in paradise while we waited. We were a little underwhelmed with the choices for late night snacks, however. Room service was not much better. The choices were extremely limited, and the nachos were worse than what you'd get at the movies (althought the nachos at the pool bar were fantastic for some reason...) Service was what you'd expect for an island-the people were very friendly and accomodating, however they move at their own pace. We called down for robes and slippers that should have been in the room when we arrived, and two days later we got them. One of our friends was without tissues for two days, until he saw the housekeeper to ask in person for them. Basically, they are more laid back then we are; "there are no problems, just situations." Was this annoying? At times. Did it effect my overall view of Secrets? Not at all. I was there to relax and have fun, not get stressed over dumb s***. There were plenty of activities to do, and they kept you informed of where and when they took place if you wanted to join. But no one bothered you if all you wanted was to plop on a pool bar stool and stay there all day. One thing I do highly recommend checking out is the spa. At first, it may seem like the prices are steep, but when you find out what is included with a spa treatment, you may just change your mind. I did. It was $130 for a 50 minute massage. But with that, you get all day access to the hydrotherapy pool, sauna and steam room. Coupled with the $40 off voucher we got when we booked, a 2+ hour spa experience was down to just $90 plus tip. The only complaint I had was that we were supposed to be led around a circuit, but our guide forgot about us in the steam room, which was step one, so we sort of wandered around on our own, with him popping up sporadically to point something out. Our friends had gone the day before, and this was not a problem for them. The pool sports all kinds of bubblers and jets with differing pressures. It was like a massage before our massage. Then a quick dip into the freezing cold pool, followed by two varying temperature wading pools. Then it was help yourself to juices and cucumber water and cookies, while lounging around for your masseuse. After our treatments, the fully stocked locker rooms were great for showering, and in my husband's case, even shaving. All in all, the spa was a highlight of an amazing trip. Another highlight was our excursion to Dunn's River Falls. We booked it through the Amstar desk in our lobby, and depsite payment difficulties, (more advice-DO NOT forget to notify your bank or cc company if you travel abroad. I did, and subsequently wasted an entire afternoon on an international call to fix it) Gillican was patient and helpful and remembered us throughout our trip whenever we passed through. All in all, the trip and the resort were fantastic. The rooms could have been a little cleaner. The service could have been quicker. They could have stocked up on clean towels a little more. But our overall experience was so great that none of that matters to us. If you are a little more uptight and can't truly embrace the island lifestyle, maybe Jamaice isn't the place for you to begin with.

1  Thank ibzelley
Reviewed 24 January 2011

One things you should know is that we went to this resort about a month after they opened. So yes, there was some room for improvement when we were there, but, the improvments are small in comparison to other resorts.

The Rooms- Very nice, modern. well appointed, everything worked w/o issue. Nice and quite. Bed was very comfortable! Room service was a bit spotty. Most of the time they were prompt, but there was once time that we had to call a couple times to get our late night snacks. Balcony was great, some bugs but I mean you are in Jamaica, you're gonna have that.
Restaurants - this is where the fact that is was a new resort really showed. The food was edible, but by no means was it good. Had I been served this food at a restaurant at home, I would have sent it back, but I was on vacation in Jamaica, what can I say...the Irie was sinking in :)
Beach/Pool - We hardly spend any time at the pool, we are beach folk. Keep in mind we never went to the main beach...we stayed right at the preferred club beach as it was nice and quite and small. The water was like nothing I have ever experienced, it was so warm and clam, I fell in love with the ocean. There was some decent snorkeling (I am a beginner so decent to me is crap to a pro). However, the swimming area it's self is quite small on this beach, I cannot speak for the the main beach.

Maid Service - we never had any issue here...things were always stocked and clean.

Excursions - When we went it was my birthday, so my husband worked with the concierge and arranged for a ocean side dinner at Pier One which was near the resort. A private driver was arranged by the hotel to take us there. It was a wonderful sunset dinner. Our driver was a really great guy!!! I cannot speak highly enough about him!!! We felt very safe with him and he was very professional, with just the right about of personality. We decided to hire him to take us out and about the next day and then for half a day the following day. These next few days were by far the highlight of our trip. We had arranged to the next day at 10am and he was there and ready to go right on time. We wanted to see the real Jamaica and that's what we got. We are not fans of touristy areas so we told him we wanted to avoid those areas. We went to YS falls, which was spectacular and not teaming with tourists. We checked out a nice little historical sight at Discovery Bay and then we ventured up through the mountains to the village of 9 Mile. This is where Bob Marley was born, grew up and is now laid to rest. The feeling here is just so indescribable, in a good way. If you are into Bob Marley or smoke, then you need to go here. It was wonderful! We decided to eat lunch there and we had lobster and sat and listened to Bob's music at the bar....The people there were great and friendly. I felt very comfy. Tip: hit the village in the afternoon, all the tours are usually out of there by 1pm. On the way back to the resort, our guide stopped at nice little store for souvenirs for us and also the grocery store. The next day we met up with the driver again and went to a bird sanctuary. I can't recall the name, but the tour guide would be able to. Anyway, we feed hummingbirds by hand and it was a really cool experience.

We both feel in love with Jamaica, but we feel in love with the REAL Jamaica, not the big box resort we were at. When we go back to Jamaica we will be finding a resort that is more "real" . But in the end, I know that no matter where we stay, we will be irie.

If you would like the contact information for our private driver/tour guide, please just email me. I would love to send him some business because he is a really good person.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pelk56
Reviewed 24 January 2011

My wife and I were originally booked for Secrets St-James for our honeymoon but on arrival, we soon found out that the hotel was overbooked (poor management?). We couldn't figure out why this happened because we reserved our room in November but it turned out that we were upgraded to a prefered status in Wild Orchid...big bonus!

The staff spent the whole week pampering us. It was wonderful. The beach was a bit below average however, there was plenty of room to move around from chair to chair. No need to wake up early to reserve your beach chair with a towel. We also liked the fact that we didn't have to wear those stupid hotel bracelets. That gave me a feeling of freedom and comfort.

The rooms are very nice but I was disappointed on the condition of the hotel. It appeared used and weathered especially since it opened in May of 2010. The hotel didn't look like it was brand new at all. On the bright side, it's modern and has the latest technology.

The food was great. We noticed that the World Cafe (which is a regular buffet restaurant) didn't have the variety and selection of food that we are used to in other resorts. It seems that they want encourage guests to go to the à-la-carte restaurants wich is ok because there are plenty to choose from.

Here's my biggest disappointment. As I mentioned earlier, the staff would bend backwards to please us during our weeklong stay but unfortunately, management ruined everything in the last hours of our vacation. I'll explain. We all know that check outs can be crappy and I fully understand that. It's the same scenario everywhere we go. When we booked our trip, we knew that we had to check out at noon and that we going to get picked up at 5:00pm to head to the airport. A long 5 hour wait!! We were assured that we would be taken care of when we would leave by being allowed to keep our room for a few extra hours. Not true at all. Beware of this. When we checked out, we asked to keep the room a few more hours (as they promised) and they flatly said no and that they were fully booked. If we wanted to keep the room it would cost us an additional 65$ per hour!! Funny how they can have instant vacancy when you flash a wad of cash huh? Now I don't know about you fine folks but my wife and I did not appreciate this treatment from management one bit. In addition, we were assured that our luggage would be kept in a safe and locked place...again, not true. To test that theory, we kept walking in and out of that "locked" room without being questioned or noticed. In the final hours of our stay, we felt unwanted as though it was like "Times up! you need to go...bye bye" Management needs to be refined and they should really consider accomodating all departing guests with a complimentary room.

2  Thank Algonkin
10.7 km away
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK