“Disappointing vacation in April, 2013”

Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
Ranked #10 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 11 October 2013

After reading all the rave reviews about SWO, we were so disappointed with the service, accommodations and overall resort. Perhaps, our excellent service in All-inclusive in Grand Velas ( Puerto Vallarta) in 2012 made it hard for SWO to compete.

From the lax reception ( NONE- no one even guided us to the reception or offered any towels/drinks when we got off car in lobby............to the dark room to the slopping housekeeping, we would never return to any Secrets resort and definitely NOT recommend this place.

The room was beachfront but so dark ( even though facing beach) that we had to open the lights in this room 24/7.Otherwise we could not see anything. Decor was modern/clean but DARK............hard to read or put on makeup or see without lights on all the time. Disappointing to say the least Who wants to be in the Caribbean and have to keep lights on 24/7........sunlight from window or terrace is what we're use to and expect.
Housekeeping was poor.........sad that you have to call desk to ask for new washclothes for 2 daily. Once you forget , we'd understand. But 4 times out of 7 days? Then if you'd get the washclothes, then they'd forget to give you the bathmat.......always 1 thing or another.

FORGET about service at the lobby reception. They had 'locked' us out of room without warning1 morning- but after we cleared it up and confirmed date of departure, you'd think the card/key would be corrected. We had to go down to the same lobby receptionist 3 times to have this 'unlocked'. Very annoying & time consuming............to say the least.

If these were the only issues, I might try to overlook SWO shortcomings, we 'd would not be so negative but the repeated lack of service/poor service for so many days of our stay and then the dark dreary room was total let-down.

For the price we paid, you can go to many other first class resorts with excellent service, accommodations and beaches!

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms on second floor - too dark and had lights on all day even with curtains totall...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank RH12571
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 October 2013

This was the second time my daughter and I stayed at SWO in September. The first time we were treated so well, we decided to come again - this time with two other friends. We had requested the same room as before on the 3rd fl. And were greatly impressed to be moved to this room on the 2nd day of our stay, with our friends now next door to us, which made the vacation that much more fun. We were close to all the restaurants and pools and a glorious view of the sunsets each night. There was never a problem of finding a seat at the pool or beach and did not have to get up at dawn to put towels down like at some resorts. Plus there was always someone asking could they get you a drink from the bar, so you didn’t even have to move if you didn’t want to. The Jerk Chicken man was a real treat each day as was the fresh fruit and coconut milk carts.
The restaurants were all pretty good especially the hibachi, where Marlon and the others put on a good show. (make reservations early). But the best was the World Café for breakfast and lunch with such a variety of food you will not go hungry. Such a surprise and pleasure to be recognized after a full year by the staff here. Couldn’t wait each morning to get my hugs from two of the nicest, kindest and cheerful servers Francine and of course “Coffee Man” Oneil who made each morning special with great service and a Coffee Tini to finish the meal. Most of the staff always greeted you with a smile and small talk and asked if they could help you with anything.
The rooms were kept clean and stocked every day and the beds were some of the best I have slept on in the Caribbean. Hopefully we can get back soon!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sunshineqn07
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I visited Secrets last week for my birthday. I gave this hotel 5 stars because the good outweighed the bad. The resort is beautiful and I had a great view from my room. I was facing the pool on the 2nd floor. The service was excellent. Everyone was nice and friendly. The room was spacious. The frozen drinks were really good. I did not enjoy the food at El Patio or the Hibachi restaurant. Most evening by dinner time I would still be full from the jerk chicken that is served near the pool from a cart. The chicken was great. Breakfast was good everyday. The omelets and frech toast were great! We were greeted with mimosas each morning. We loved sitting outside by the piano bar after dinner. We enjoyed Surf and Turf night. We had all you can eat lobster. They also had a pasta bar and fresh grilled fish. I ordered room service a few nights. The burger was some type of frozen patty that was not appetizing. The food from the snack area was not too good either. The pretzels were hard and nachos were not good. We ordered the club sandwhich and it was ok. What I liked most about the hotel is that there were so many delicious low carb obtions...omelets, jerk chicken, lobster just to name a few. The party on the beach was fun. I would definitely go back to Secrets. It was romantic, fun, and exciting.... just what I needed for my birthday!

Room Tip: I was on the second floor near the pool. I could look out onto the beach and pool. It was a nice v...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank CHEVALIA R
Reviewed 10 October 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica. My boyfriend and I spent a full week at the Wild Orchid with my best friend and her husband. The four of us had an outstanding time and cannot wait to plan the next vacation. This place is absolutely beautiful. The room was spacious, the king sized bed was very comfortable and I loved the bathroom. There is tons of food available 24 hours per day including room service. I liked the food overall, but I did get a lukewarm dinner at Portofino. I highly recommend making a reservation for the hibachi grill at Himitsu, it was delicious and absolutely my favorite meal.

The staff is full of the nicest, warmest people I’ve ever had the privilege of meeting. I especially want to thank Kedesia, Carissa, Marlon and Lesharn for making the experience all the more fantastic. “Yeah mon!” will always bring a huge smile to my face. Thank you so very much Wild Orchid and Jamaica!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2013

My husband and I stayed in September for our honeymoon. The resort actually looked like the pictures on the website. There was a ton of beach front with the most gorgeous ocean views. The resort had the best all-inclusive resort food I have ever had! The staff was all super friendly, especially Leo (bartender at wild orchid pool bar, check him out, hes a riot). Our room was beautiful, I think all of them are ocean view. We had amazing massages at the spa. There was nothing we could complain about (coming from us thats big!) We met a lot of great people and had a perfect trip. We can't wait to come back!!

Room Tip: They are all great, we came during rainy season and were on the 4th floor. Beautiful view to watch t...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
10.7 km away
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK