My friend and I were there for 4 nights here's my experience:
- Check In was a breeze we got there at Noon and had no problems we were upgraded to a Junior Ocean View by Nichole who was excellent and gave us keys to go anywhere onsite, which was a nice touch
- Hermon our bellhop did a great job making us feel welcome as this was our first time in Jamaica
- Ocean View was great easy to walk out to the beach or the pools
- Wait staff service by the pool and beach was done well when it was done but was somewhat inconsistent
- Our room was closest to the Marlin bar, it wasn't great, service was on island time for sure
-Breakfast buffet was great and well stocked-the woman who does the omelets was worth the wait! Wait service for breakfast was good 3 out of 5 times. One morning when a lot of other people were doing their sales pitch & breakfast thing, our service was very poor we were openly ignored probably because we were not being pitched
- Restaurants were decent but I can't recommend Seaside Grill, my steak was tough and worse my friend ordered the creamed spinach and was sick for several days following, luckily we were leaving the next day
- We had a small incident with our room keys not working on the last night- it took a couple of tries but Nichole from our checkin came through and sent the maintenance man right out
-They were doing a lot of painting in our nearest stairwell but the workers were always polite and moved out of the way, if people keep saying it needs to be updated expect there to be ongoing work on site!
-Rain shower is amazing, tub fills up VERY slowly but is nice
-Comfortable beds, balcony was great
-TV was a bit strange one day we were able to get the USA Network every other day we were not, oh and be warned there are at least 3 ADULT type channels that you may flip past...
-Housekeeping was great, one day when they had not been able to come in during regular hours they called us directly to schedule a service, so we had the rooms refreshed well daily
-We skipped the Spa as it was incredibly expensive, to give you a sense we booked 2 excursions one full day tour and one 4 hour catamaran cruise for LESS THAN an 80 minute hot stone massage
- There are barrels with water bottles all around the resort which is a nice touch, stock up on them
- Chicken Parm at the Italian restaurant was our favorite meal
- 45 minutes was our wait for room service, considering how far the restaurants were this was not entirely unexpected
-If you have any mobility issues at all, book the preferred side as we saw a lot of the preferred side guests driven around in golf carts
- Go for the Ocean View
- Hibachi seemed fun make the reservations ahead of time
- Don't miss the jerk chicken cart
- The Amstar agent was great at booking our excursions
Overall we had a great time, I was able to get a discounted rate, I'm not sure if I feel it is worth the high price tag you often see associated with it. However, I am not a big drinker, so I wasn't drinking over $100 worth of alcohol a day as many guests easily were.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Secrets St. James Montego Bay reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Secrets St James Hotel Montego Bay