7,136 results
All reviewspreferred clubpiano barwild orchidjerk chickenroom servicemarlin barworld cafesecrets resortpreferred poolour honeymoonfrench restaurantseaside grillel patiochampagne breakfasthibachi grillwelcome hometurn down service
Reviewed 3 August 2015

We just returned from Secrets St James after spending 6 days for our 15 year anniversary and my 60th birthday and it was an incredible experience. My husband and I felt that this was one of our better vacations. We did the romantic dinner on our anniversary date in the gazebo and it was beautiful.

Room Tip: Keep patio shut to avoid mosquitoes
3  Thank Leilani L
Reviewed 2 August 2015

Our travel was Jul 26- Aug 1st.
Immediately upon entering the resort, we were welcomed (with rum punch of coarse!!)
Our stay was extra memorable due to our concierge Shevanie Johnson (The best concierge in all of JAMAICA.!!!)

Pros:
Great Quality food everywhere-
Jerk Chicken cart and Coconut cart were great.
Over 15 restaurants and bars
Friendly staff - every one of them
Clean, well kept property and rooms
Beautiful views of the multiple beaches and hillsides
Luxury all around in every detail and all of it included
Lots of activities throughout the day
Drinks brought to you on the beach
Quality of food in restaurants was excellent
Rooms were large and had Jetted tub, shower, and toilet all separated

Cons:
Could have used more authentic Jamaican breakfasts (Ackee & Codfish) etc.
More parties on the beach!!! wonderful beach, use it more at nights.

Room Tip: Best ocean views are on the 3rd to 5th floors.
  • Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Warren A
Reviewed 2 August 2015 via mobile

Great Resort. FRIENDLY staff. Grounds and rooms are kept impeccable. The lobby is beautiful.

Shout out to Shan, the customer service rep, I want to move to jamaica and become her BFF. She was amazing.

Lots of food choices. I'm from NYC,, it's hard to please my palate when it comes to food..All inclusive food is bland to me everywhere. To be honest I thought the buffet had the tastiest options. Jamaican jerk cart was slammin! A little too spicy for my husband, however, you can opt for no sauce and this tones the chicken down.

Beach: gorgeous. Drink service available on beach. Towels available for everyone. I found enough seating on beach.

It's a great resort, I will defintiely stay at a secrets property again if I was to do all inclusive.

Stayed: May 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ksegg
Reviewed 2 August 2015

Firstly most of what you read is true.
Fridge not cold enough
Bathroom funny set up
Blah Blah Blah
But anyone who says the food is not amazing or the staff are not the nicest people you would ever want to meet are crazy.
Had a great time and loved every minute.
Message to anyone checking out weather report..!!!! (Just ignore it) We went mid July for 11 days and if weather report had been correct we would have been sat in thunder storms for the whole holiday. LOL..Not the case.. Amazing weird weather. Blazing sun with thunder miles away so loud it sounded like the building was falling down. One hour of rain for whole holiday.
Sea gorgeous and calm and warm. Grounds beautiful. But I think the staff made the holiday so good. Spa treatment was good also.
Basically a wonderful adult holiday, very relaxing and couldn't ask for more.

12  Thank Tish R
Reviewed 2 August 2015

We just returned from Secrets St. James after spending this past week there. This was a getaway for my wife and I for our 15-year anniversary and could not have imagined a better vacation. This is our first trip to Jamaica and we found it to be a beautiful place with incredibly friendly people. Just some quick thoughts and tips below from our perspective on the key features of the resort. To varying degrees, they are all pros with the only con at the end.

Location: Part of the reason we chose Secrets in Montego Bay was the proximity to the airport (without being too close). It was a 30 min on the way in due to a traffic jam (at 3PM on a Monday?) and only 10 min on the way out.

Grounds: As many of the reviews have said, the grounds are impeccable. The look of the resort is understated but very nice and the grounds crew works very hard on it (quietly) all day long.

Rooms: We were upgraded to the Presidential Suite and I have no idea why and we didn’t ask questions. However, everyone we talked to seemed to be thrilled with their rooms. Tip: The rooms are surprisingly high-tech. One thing we learned the hard way is that if your sliding doors are not all the way closed, your A/C won’t work.

Preferred Club: The Preferred Club for the St. James and the Wild Orchid are each in their own buildings. We were in the St. James Preferred Club and it was very nice but the non-Preferred Club building looked very nice too. The St. James Preferred Club is definitely the quietest part of the hotel during the day due it’s location.

Pools: This is a huge resort with 700 rooms, and it was full when we were there, but the four pools seem to handle all those people very well and don’t see remotely crowded. The pools are also all beautiful with a variety of very comfortable chairs. There is a bar at each pool and wait staff who will come around and bring you drinks regularly as well. Perfect. Tip: Each pool has a heated and a non-heated side.

Beaches: The beaches for each resort are relatively small and contained. So if you want long moonlight walks, you’re out of luck. If you want beautiful turquoise water, sand, comfortable chairs with unlimited drinks delivered to you, you’ll be happy.

Food: We’re not foodies who need five-star type meals prepared by a famous chef, which is usually not what you get at an all-inclusive resort anyway. We really liked the food we had at every restaurant. The buffet at the World Café is great for lunch. Plus there is plenty of food everywhere all the time. And I fully agree with all of the excellent reviews of the jerk chicken served by the pool. Tip: The jerk chicken line was consistently shorter on the Wild Orchid side for some reason.

Entertainment: This may have been one of the best parts of the resort. The evening entertainment was excellent every night we were there. They had a great “house band” called Pace that we really enjoyed. There was also a good cirque du soleil (obviously scaled way down) that was good. It’s just nice to have something to do after dinner each evening.

Fitness Center: While the equipment is very nice, the fitness center is just too small for a resort this size. As you might expect, it’s busiest in the morning so I would say just go at an off time, particularly if you want a cardio machine. The tennis setup was OK and they provide rackets and balls to borrow as well as a clinic run by a pro a few times a week. There is only one court but we had not trouble getting it whenever we wanted it (they take reservations).

Other tips
• Club Mobay – we paid for Club Mobay for Arrival and Departure. I would say it is worth the extra money for arrivals to expedite you through customs, especially on a crowded day. Really all it gets you on departure is access to a really nice lounge, but not much else.
• The rules of the road for tipping are very unclear. They are clearly appreciated but if you tip everyone you could (waiters, cleaning people, bartenders etc.) you’ll drop a lot of cash in a hurry. If you plan to tip, take a lot of small bills. Change is hard to come by.
• There is no real difference between the St. James and Wild Orchid as far as I’m concerned. It’s one big resort.
• If you are going with a special someone, do the romantic dinner. It’s obscenely expensive and worth every penny. Such a special experience. If you can, try to get one of the gazebos.
• Don’t do the bike tour. The resort is in a kind of industrial port area and there’s just nothing around it worth seeing.
• If you can, wait until you get to the airport for departure to buy souvenirs. The selection is better and the prices are cheaper than the shops at the hotel.
• The wifi was surprisingly good, even by the pool.

18  Thank Brent G