7,186 results
All reviews preferred club piano bar wild orchid jerk chicken room service marlin bar world cafe secrets resort preferred pool our honeymoon french restaurant seaside grill el patio champagne breakfast hibachi grill welcome home turn down service
Reviewed 31 July 2015

Everything about the Secrets St. James hotel was phenomenal!! The scenery, the staff, the restaurants and food, the beach and pools, the service, the rooms, and the amenities - were all AMAZING!! Everything about the resort was fantastic! There is free WiFi throughout the entire resort, as well, which I thought was a great added touch. There was always something to do on the resort; the entertainment schedules were extremely well put-together, too, and if you wanted to join a tour or some sort of excursion, (either on the resort or off the resort), the staff in the lobby are more than happy to assist you and get you all signed-up. I had a ton of fun, and an overall, extremely relaxing vacation!! I definitely plan to stay at the Secrets St. James hotel, again, the next time I visit Montego, Jamaica!

Room Tip: The staff are great, and they will make sure you get a good room.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled solo
5  Thank Stephanie W
Reviewed 30 July 2015

My husband and I visited Secrets St James in April 2015. It was just a short drive from the airport. We did upgrade to the preferred club so we were escorted to the preferred lobby. The concierge was wonderful but insisted we attend their special breakfast (timeshare sales... Been there, done that... Skipped) Our room was finally ready and we were ready to hit the beach...... We waited about 45 min for our bags and then went back down and they were still sitting there after they told us they would bring them up immediately. No big deal.... Everyone is soooooo nice that's it's hard to get upset about that. We enjoyed the next few days relaxing in the pool and on the beach. The resort was veryyyyyy relaxing. The music played throughout the resort is the same as in the spa... Soothing tones.... Almost too relaxing. We met a few people at the 'loud' pool who had a butler upgrade. If it wasn't for them requesting to hear some music we wouldn't have had any besides the relaxing tunes. Lol. We ate at just about every restaurant. We always look forward to the Japanese, but we couldn't get out of there fast enough because it was so incredibly hot in there.. Still delish though!!!
About the preferred club..... Not worth the money. We may have made one drink in their exclusive preferred club bar but you can get a drink anywhere. They have a preferred club pool but really anyone could have used it. There wasn't anyone from the hotel regulating the area to see who was preferred or not. Those were the only 2 perks really. Another thing that I think is absolutely absurd is how people can go down to the pool and stake their claim with towels on chairs and not even come down for hours or even late afternoon. This is at all resorts and the hotels need to do something about this because it is really annoying and frustrating!!!!
Overall, this resort was amazing!!!! The food, the wonderful people, the rooms, the grounds..... Top notch!!!!

• Stayed: April 2015, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Terah B
Reviewed 29 July 2015

very beautiful property with excellent view of ocean and mountains, clean ,people very friendly and most of all rooms nice . luved everything except the food i found was disappointing restaurants all very nice but for lunch only two restaurants open and at nite for dinner they had all open so basically if you stay for 3 days cant go to all restaurants .besides for vegetarians not much choice which was very sad. also room service was extremely slow waited for almost an hour and a half for food to come to room . also to clean the room they did not do it till late .

Room Tip: choose the room on the end where you can see the beautiful mountains
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank dipikapi
Reviewed 29 July 2015

We recently spent 10 days at St. James, and it was quite possibly the best 10 days of our 25 year marriage. The rooms were clean and very comfortable (great A/C), the beach was beautiful, relaxing and well attended, the "on-site" restaurants were varied and delicious (the Bordeaux was our favorite), the spa was fabulous, and the staff was beyond fantastic! A huge shout out especially for: Errol - grounds keeping, Clinton - wait staff, and Shanneil - St. James Preferred Staff, who made the check-out process enjoyable. We will return!

Room Tip: Honestly, I don't believe there is a bad room at this hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Steve J
Reviewed 29 July 2015

We just returned from a 6 night stay at Secrets St. James. A group of longtime friends met at this resort for a week of relaxing fun in the sun.

Upon arrival, we were greeted with drinks while we awaited check in. The check in process is a little lengthy and they will try to upgrade your room so just know that from the beginning. We did decide to upgrade as it was my birthday the next day and I wanted an unobstructed view for the week. One could easily have turned down the option. We were soon off to the room which was nice. There were a few small things like a stain on the couch or the caulking in the bathroom that should be fixed, but nothing major. The mini bar had cokes, Red Stripe beer and water. It wasn't cold but was cool enough. Our room was on the 5th floor directly over the pool with the swim up bar so we had a great view of the pool and beach/water.

When we got down to the pool, the majority of our group was already there and they had the party going. They had found Leo (or he found them) and he made sure we were taken care of all week. My birthday was one I will NEVER forget thanks to Leo and his fun attitude, fantastic toasts, tuxedo in the pool, and unending energy! You must find him when you travel to St. James. Just tell him what you like and he will handle the rest!

I found service on the beach to be very good. Erika was one of our favorite servers too. Also, Richard at the St. James swim up bar was great. Everyone was very nice and helpful.

We dined at all of the restaurants and had good food everywhere. Particular favorites was my birthday dinner at Bordeaux where Chef Antonio prepared a meal for our group of 14 people. We didn't have to think of anything as food just came rolling out. He did it again for us on the last night on the patio of the hibachi restaurant. So fun!
We did dine at the Hibachi restaurant (make reservations when you get there). Our cook was Kimsan that night and man.. that girl can SING! I told her she needs to come to the states and get on the Voice! Gavin waited on us that night and was great too. Can't forget to mention Lashoya and Nashville too. Wonderful service from them!

The buffet at the World Cafe for breakfast was extensive and very good. For our last morning, we enjoyed breakfast in our room which came with the room upgrade. Miguel delivered our meal and sang a beautiful version of Happy Birthday to me at 7:15am. Shocking that he could sing so well that early in the day.

We ate Jerk Chicken every day from the cart in addition to one of the pool bar restaurants. It is amazing, and I am having withdrawals now that we are back home. The only bad food we encountered during the week were the burgers. Don't waste your time.

During our stay we also snorkeled, kayaked and used the Hobie Cat. I recommend them all. We actually thought the guided snorkel tour from the resort was better than the snorkeling on the catamaran tour we took. If you want to paddle board, due it early while the water is calm because the winds picked up late morning so we missed out.

Although this was a group trip, my husband and I enjoyed a couple of calm days at the end of the week after our friends left. We found the resort to offer a range of fun activities to romantic quiet settings. In all, we loved our stay at Secrets and have already been recommending it to other friends for a getaway.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors have better views but are the ones you upgrade to. Many lower floors may have landscaping obstructing views.
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled with friends