7,174 results
All reviews preferred club piano bar wild orchid jerk chicken room service marlin bar world cafe secrets resort preferred pool our honeymoon french restaurant seaside grill el patio champagne breakfast hibachi grill welcome home turn down service
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We visited Secrets St. James in mid-August and I must say I was very impressed. The resort was very nice with beautiful grounds, a great variety of restaurants, nice fitness center (go before 8AM it gets busy) and a decent beach (we typically go to Negril for the beach, hence the decent rating). We booked the non-preferred room, but were pleasantly surprised when we arrived…..we were upgraded to preferred! I must be honest, since I was able to experience preferred, I probably would not book this because you really don’t miss out on much. Yes the preferred experience gives you a separate beach (a bit rocky on the St. James side) and pool, free access to the internet, a separate area for finger foods, etc., but I found that we would have been fine without it (the distinction is the orange towels for the preferred guests). Because of the jelly fish…yes jelly fish, we actually had chairs on the preferred side, but spent time in the water on the non –preferred side. The hubs came in contact with a jelly fish, but escaped the sting. The room was spacious and I just love a resort with double sinks in the bathroom! The curtain separating the bathroom and sleep area didn’t bother us at all. As others have mentioned the restaurants are all on the Wild Orchid side, but it’s a nice walk. We enjoyed the food at all the restaurants although we never made it to Blue Mountain and Oceana. My husband really enjoyed Himitsu and was addicted to the coffee bar; Bordeaux was my favorite. I had no problem finding something to eat; I especially enjoyed the traditional Jamaican dishes during the buffet….I miss eating callaloo!!! Of course the jerk chicken man was a favorite. The staff is great and there is something for everyone, from a nightly movie, a casino, trips to Margaritaville, and the evening entertainment. I would definitely recommend folks to visit; we’ll be back!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank md3461
Reviewed 10 September 2012

We returned from our trip to Secrets St James on August 31st and it was just wonderful. This was our first all inclusive resort so we weren't sure what to expect but it was really great. The resort was immaculate. Their staff works non stop to keep things clean. There were multiple reviews I had read before we left about mosquitos. We never got bit by one and never seen any bugs of any kind really. So maybe that's based on your location at the resort.
We were upgraded to the Wild Orchid side since they had only ground level rooms at the St James side and the room was over and above what I expected. Very new and modern in decor. The bed was awesome and housekeeping does a great job of taking care of things.
During check-in, they will try to push you to sign up for a "time-share/VIP Club" tour. They will give you some sort of discount or deal on just about anything you might want to do to sign up for this tour and the tour is 90 minutes.We agreed but the next day decided to back out. I did not want to give up that much time on our first morning of our vacation. She didn't seem to upset when we cancelled and never pushed us to do it some other day.
The beaches were awesome and plenty of umbrellas and chairs to choose from in many different spots along the beach. The pools were all clean and very well maintained. Trickier to find a lounge chair by the pool than the beach. The drinks were always great. My only complaint was the beer never seemed that cold, so I eventually gave up on the Red Stripe and drank many different mixed concoctions that they were happy to whip up! They do have a wide range of topshelf liquors to choose from.
Now, the food! You need to make note of this and how their dinner process works. The restaurants for dinner open at 6 and close at 10. So, that's alot of people to feed in a short time. We found it worked best to get their earlier rather than later. The later you got there, the longer the wait. You also need to note that this is not a fast dining or quick in and out meal service. Every place is fine dining which translates to- don't be in a hurry! Overall the food was way better than I expected. The breakfast buffet and the brulee french toast...awesome! The Jamaican restaurant was not that great to me nor was the service at the Mexican place, so we didn't eat there. However, the French and Italian were great and the Hibachi grill(must do for sure) was amazing. You need a reservation for the grill so do that your first day you get there because it maybe a couple days before they can get you in. Oh, and can't forget the jerk chicken cart...yummo! Be sure to try that when you are there.
Overall, this place was fabulous. If there's something you need or a special request, don't be afraid to ask them. The staff was very accomadating and extremely friendly. The layout of the resort was so convenient and extremely relaxing. We loved every minute of our time there and would for sure go back!! Btw, this was our first Apple Vacations trip and they do a great job! For people who had not traveled out of the country much nor to an All Inclusive, they do a good job. Kudos Apple Vacations!!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank amieh40
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My boyfriend and I went to Secret St. James over Labor Day weekend. I loved our room. It was beautiful and the bed was comfortable, however the shower leaked the whole time. The staff was friendly, but their waiters at the restaurants needed improvement with customer service and the chefs could use more creativity and spice. At the Blue Fountain restaurant, we were seated immediately but it took two hours to get the entree for a table of six. The meals were just average, save the French restaurant, Bordeaux, on the property which was excellent. The Mexican restaurant was the worst. I must say the breakfast buffet was the best. The omellet and creme brulee french toast. The beach is gorgeous and very clean. The pool side restaurant was pretty good for lunch, but be prepared for small portions. (I guess that could be a good thing considering you are wearing body conscious swimsuits.)
For a shopaholic, I was disappointed because the semi-precious jewelry was overpriced. I don't think all-inclusive is the way to go; the food was average, the house wines were cheap, and the shopping was lackluster. It was the natural beauty of the island and the good company we kept among friends while vacationing, that made it an overall good time.

Room Tip: turn on your shower and make sure it doesn't leak
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank debbie d
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Ok. This place blew us away.

Room. We got the fifth floor over looking the pool and the ocean ridiculous. Clean, nice. Bed to soft but whatever

Food. Wow. Everything was excellent

People. All were so pleasant. All the time.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank dbuschini
Reviewed 9 September 2012

Returned Aug 28,2012 from a week at Secrets St James. We loved this resort , it was absolutely beautiful, clean, great rooms and the food was good also. The best part was the staff who were always very friendly and went out of their way to be helpful. Our favourite employee was Andrew who was the bartender in the lobby bar at St. James. He was so much fun, polite and always made sure we were having a great time. Special mention to Releen at the front desk who went out of her way to help us when we had a slight problem with our room.Who can forget Oraldo in the buffet who entertained us with his beautiful voice and songs. Also a thanks to Latoya Young who kept our mini-bar stocked with exactly what we wanted. A great vacation, would come back in a minute..

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends