New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ft Lauderdale
“"ALL 'n' ALL"”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2012

WOW!!! What can I say about Secrets…. AAAAAmazing !!!!
I am a vivid traveler, and been living out of hotels for some time now (LOL). Recently my employer assigned me a project on the island of Jamaica. This was not a problem since I have gone to the island several times before. Usually when I am deployed to a job, I am place in hotels based on the job site. Nine times out of ten I am placed in a high end hotel, however there are few times that I have been placed in what is known in Jamaica as a Guest house (cant say I like those jobs).
Well, a few weeks ago I went to Jamaica for a job. The job got assigned to me about twenty four hours before departure, unfortunately I was not told about the hotel accommodations until landing in Jamaica. I was told that I would be staying at Secret St. James. Being judgmental, I immediately started to think this was going to be a guest house that clearly reminds me of a Motel 8. I have never heard of this chain of hotel ever in my life, hence the term “Guest House”.
After arriving at the complex, I was amazed at what I saw; a beautiful an elegant hotel. Between getting from the airport transportation to the room accommodation, I had experience a world of customer service that was indescribable. I had totally forgotten that I was on an assignment.
Arriving at my room, opening the door and seeing the room for the first time was like taking in a breath of fresh air. The room was clean, presentable and very welcoming.
Another plus for the hotel, was that it is an All Inclusive hotel. OMG !!! Man there was a never ending supply of everything … Too much to go into …
However, the staff was amazing. No matter who I ran into, everyone was eager and willing to assist me in any way that was possible. Talking about customer service, after a few nights of in house activities and parties, I wanted to go beyond the edges of the hotel. I wanted to go experience the night life in the town, so I hit up the front desk and WOW. I was so impressed with the professionalism of the agent. She made sure that I left and return with no worry in the world. And even after returning, they verified that I was ok. What can I say, It felt like home away from home and the staff felt more like family.
Big shout out to all the Secrets staff members, but a special shout out to Ms Shanique (sorry forgot her last name). But WOW what an agent. Courteous, polite and willing are just some of the words I would use to describe her attitude and attentiveness.
The only one issue that I had with the whole experience was the food. UMMMMM… yeah…. It wasn’t bad but one of the reason why I had decided to venture outside the Secrets parameters was to have dinner. If they can get the food right then GOSH, I do believe that they would be more popular as the other hotel chains.
But “All ‘n’ All” I gave this experience a two thumbs up.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Leo's S
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,180)
  • Czech first
marlton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We just returned from Secrets St James a few days ago. There was absolutely nothing to complain about. Our room had a gorgeous view on the fifth floor. It was cleaned and new towels were left every day. Turn down service was never missed. We enjoyed and highly recommend the Champagne breakfast in your room. We liked the Himitsu, Bordeaux and Portofino restaurants the best. We recommend the outdoor seating while the entertainment is on . It is a little cooler and the acts offered during our stay were a perfect compliment for the meal. I think we only waited one night and it was about 10 minutes. The piano bar folks kept us comfortable while waiting. We met a few nice couples to spend time with around the pool or at the beach. There were plenty of activities to participate in if you choose, but no pressure to join things. There were photographers about that offer to take your pictures. Some people didn't want to take advantage of it. However, we also ran into many couples who do not have many pictures of the two of them together on vacation because they were only traveling in a party of two and the opportunity of getting dressed up for dinner and having your photo taken with the unbelievable sunset was appealing. We snorkeled and tried a few water motor sports. We took a trip to White Witch to golf. Mostly we just relaxed and enjoyed the beautiful view and properties of Wild Orchid and St James. I really wish I could name each member of the great staff that support the whole organization. We had NO bad experiences with any staff member. Whatever your needs...it is their pleasure. From check in to check out, we were so impressed by their pleasant nature and eagerness to please. Do yourself a favor and try Secrets. We have stayed at Wild Orchid and St James and love them both. Highly Recommended!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Catonsville, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

I have been to a lot of 4 and 5 star hotels and resorts in my short time on this earth but honestly i really enjoyed Secrets as one of my favorites. The staff of Marlene, Marcia, and Kadiann @ front desk made my birthday treat to myself wonderful! They acknowledge it was my birthday by a banner on my door and other little treats! i room with my cousin and she could not stop talking about the resort! i will repeat!

Room Tip: i personally like the higher floors because of views!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank cubbyeyes
Kingston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Secrets Resorts in Montego Bay, Jamaica, is simply stunning. Warm rooms, courteous staff, excellent service, delicious food, world-class wines. The property exudes quality and luxury and is the perfect home away from home.

Room Tip: A room with the the sea view is priceless!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Quispamsis New Brunswick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My wife and I returned to this resort for 9 days Wednesday April 11th to the 19th 2012. WE loved it more the second time, but for different reasons than the 1st. As a 1st timer, you overlook the flaws, and do not notice them until the end. With Secrets this year We did. Having said that this is still a top notch resort . It has the best location, the beach WAS mere feet from our room, and the total ambience of the place was in a league of its own compared to a number of resorts we have stayed at in the DR and Mexico including Excellence. The people made the trip.

Flaws:
Showers:
Lets get some of the flaws out of the way. Hey secrets, you have got to fix the design flaw in your showers. No amount of caulking can stop the flow of water that literally pooled on the bathroom floor every morning. No matter how may full sized towels (3 or 4) we put down it was dangerous from a slip and fall point of view. We talked to some other people who had the same problem. The fix was the same, send a maintenance guy up and caulk it. It did not work before (as it was previously caulked) and did not work this time. Make it work, do an inventory of the problem and fix the flaw. Someone is going to get hurt. We overlooked it last year but it really was too much to bear this year.
Small stuff:
Last year we had sunscreen in the room , this year we did not know it existed nor would we have, unless we had been here before. Same with body lotion. We had to ask. These things may not mean much but what it shows me is that you are cutting corners on some stuff we have come to expect at resorts of this calibre.
Fresh Fruit amount at the buffet:
We ate at the world café for Breakfast. We loved it. However, do you think just maybe instead of the very large display of miniature boxed cereal , you could push some of it aside and increase the area for more fresh fruit given the volume of people that use the buffet in the morning. Also can you maybe add more variety to it. A section of 2 feet square for the client base is not my idea of ideal. I have been elsewhere and fresh fruit is much more prominent.
Entertainment :
You folks have great entertainment, I loved the Silver Birds band, We loved PACE, and we loved the nightly shows. However, can you stop pushing Margaretville tours at every opportunity. I know it does appeal to another demographic not me. I find it too over the top, and it almost feels the resort does not have the capacity to entertain its clients so is trying to farm it off to this type of activity. The piano bar was rocking last year. It was THE place to be after the show. Your piano guy is getting burned out and it shows. No reflection on him. He needs some help. The 20 songbooks around the bar last year have been reduced to one. Not very conducive to a sing along. No effort made to deal with that. You need to fix this, it was the highlight last year and when the crowd was going this year it was a lot of fun. Now that secrets got talent is over, Maybe you need to create a “Piano bar star competition”. Have people sign up, show them the song book, tell them to choose and practice, and have then perform it live there .Have some prizes. It will be knocked out of the park. On another note, Hans the entertainment director, I know you have a tough job trying to be all things to all people, (Sincerely) but I found in my contact with you, you were not very engaging….and came across as aloof…That could be me and you with a thousand things on your mind did not even pick up on it….for what it is worth.
Hobbie cats and water sports.
Last year there was no fee to use the Hobbies , with a guide. You tipped him for the experience. We did. This year, we noticed, three new rock break waters off of the beach area to protect the beach from erosion. The problem now is for inexperienced people, who sail themselves, they get caught up on these things and it is risky. It pretty well forces you to get a guide. The problem now is the guides charge 20 dollars to go out. We even had one guide who stated it would be 20 dollars each per couple. There were two couples. This same guide tried to sell me a bracelet for $15.00 . When I said no, he was alright with that but expressed his disappointment in me directly for not hiring him for the sail. The guide who did take us out was very good and we had no problems. The point I would like to make here is the breakwaters make it difficult to now use the Hobbies and they now charge you for the service because you increase your risk if you try to sail yourself. We watched the watersport crew rescue two boats off of the rocks during our stay. Secrets you need to fix this. If the watersports people need more pay then throw them a couple of extra bucks.

Positives:
We loved the barefoot Grill. The flavoured water idea (Thanks Stanley) Great idea and perfectly placed. Just a suggestion, you probably would do a lot better, if you tried fresh hamburger and raw onions cooked to order when some one arrives there looking for a burger. I was not fond of seeing the hamburgers precooked, and sitting in a tray filled with warm water waiting to be put on the grill for a minute to warm them doled out. How long have the burgers been there and have they been recycled for a while (more than one day ) came to mind. I even saw the same type of set up at the Patio after hours for a late night snack. Fix this, I do not think it is healthy. More to the point, a real grilled burger is worth the wait, people will grab a beer, and wait and it will taste a lot better.
Water stations along the beach. Great to see.
People:
This resorts succeeds and exceeds its limits because of its people. Here are a few who made a lifelong impression with us and will be missed:
Melvin at Hitmitsu A very reserved professional young man who was impeccable in his service and flawless in his treatment of us. He was very engaging. Move this man up the ladder quickly . He will only get better.
Gaynor at Il Patio A very warm sincere professional woman, who engaged us every time we dropped by. She made us feel at home from the start and made us feel like family. Hugs and tear when we left, from both sides. Amazing.
Delano Super secret agent man, the yin to Clives Yan (our other favourite server at breakfast)Delano, you made us laugh, we looked forward to seeing you in the morning. Do not stop doing what you are doing.
Clive Understated, and reserved, but very attentive. Clive You made us feel welcomed and cared for thank you
Tanesha Very attentive and down to earth beach server. We loved you laid back vibe and the great conversations
Allano Lobby Bar A great bar tender, , very engaging outgoing and fun. Great job.
Joy Very shy and reserved , very professional and always had a smile. It was a pleasure being served by you.
Chevena Great to see you again, you are still the same engaging person. Very professional.
Stanley: Wow, man , you are larger than life, a strutting dread locked, over the top lion peacock, who engages you and is probably the hardest working man on the resort. I say these last words with respect and admiration. I loved the Vibe , You did a great job on Jimmy Buffet by the way….

OVERALL:
We would go back. Secrets you are number one in our books , in spite of my critique. The close proximity to the airport, and the overall resort, staff, food, and ambience is a killer combination. Having said that, Secrets, your staff is your greatest asset, reward them, and keep them motivated. Fix the small stuff I mentioned, before they become chronic and most of all, keep doing what you are doing .

Tip Appletons 21 is cheapest at the factory $132 US at the resort it is $200.00

Lastly: Katie and Shawn, you guys were amazing to hang wtih, So glad to have met you . We will be seeing you again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple