“Sandals Montego Bay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #7 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Halifax
“Sandals Montego Bay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I just returned from Sandals Montego Bay, and overall had a great time. I didn't feel like the resort really lived up to all the "hype" you hear about Sandals, however we still had a great time and enjoyed almost every aspect of our trip. It was our first trip to Sandals, and we look forward to experiencing other resorts in the Sandals chain for some future vacations. Here is my review:

Rooms:
The room was very small, but it was very nice. It had beautiful dark wood finishes and the bed was quite comfortable! We were in a Luxury Oceanview Room. The balcony was large and made up for lack of space in the actual room. We didn't spend too much time in there, so it didn't matter too much. I did find it funny though that we were in a Luxury room category and it had an ancient Panasonic TV from the 90's - literally the same TV I had to give away a few months ago because I couldn't get $20 for it! We joked that it followed us to Jamaica. We didn't even watch the TV but if you are going to call a room Luxury, I would get with the times and put a flat screen in there. That is a very, very minor detail though. Next time, I will likely book a bigger room or Jr Suite.

Beach:
Beach was nice and had a few separate sections you could go on. If you are going to Montego Bay, you aren't going there for the long stretches of beach (Negril is where the better beaches are) so I knew what to expect from the beach. Very hard to get any shade though, unless you are up at 8am or have a butler. I was a bit disappointed in that, but what can you do. High winds brought in a lot of sea weed, but the resort cleaned it up mostly. Nothing you can really do about nature. I was surprised that some of the beach chairs were worn and saggy - definitely didn't expect that from Sandals, but that is a very minor detail.

Food:
I enjoyed the food. Breakfast was always good, we only did the buffet but there was lots of selection and made to order omelettes etc. Lunch was either at the beach (pizzeria was pretty good and the Jerk Chicken at the grill was great too) or we went to the buffet, which again had a great selection of things to choose from.
For dinners, we did the Bayside a la carte which we thought was excellent (I had a great crab cake there, and coffee cheesecake - so delicious!) We went to Tokyo Joes which I absolutely loved, and we also did Stewfish which was okay. The atmosphere was really nice as it is on the beach and very romantic, however, I was pretty disappointed that they served the exact same rice with my entree that they serve at the beach grill! I hope it wasn't leftovers. That was weird, but other than that we had some great chowder there. Our server never came back after we got our main dish to offer more drinks or anything so we just got up and left when we were done and skipped desert. Overall the food was good - I wouldn't say "5 star gourmet" but I did find it excellent and there was never a meal I didn't like.

Booze:
The drinks were great! No complaints there at all. Really strong drinks, nothing watered down. They had Jack Daniels which was great. Also a cool variety of cocktails etc. Yum.

Staff:
Overall, the staff were quite good. However, everyone was raving about the staff at Sandals and I really didn't get "wowed" by anyone except for the bartender Davion who always remembered our names. I found that sometimes when we went to order drinks, you felt like you were bugging them. It wasn't a huge deal to us, but we definitely noticed. Also we weren't sure at the Bayside a la carte if we were going to stay and eat, so we asked if we could just get the appetizer and drinks and were told a simple and flat "no" by the person there. I figured "Luxury Included" meant eating only an appetizer if I want to? That was just plain weird / rude. I guess overall most of the bartenders were average in my opinion and not overly friendly. In general though the staff will walk by and say hello and the Playmakers / Entertainment staff were very friendly and engaging.

Location:
The proximity to the airport did not bother me one bit. I thought the planes taking off and landing was really cool to be honest. You never heard the planes at weird hours, so our sleep was not disturbed once by the planes. Everyone on the resort waves to the planes as they take off and land which is kind of neat. I LOVED that we were at the resort within 10 minutes of leaving the airport. This was one of the main things I look for in a vacation - close to the airport. That means vacation starts sooner and you can sleep in a bit on the last day.

Overall, I would give my vacation a 4/5. The resort was nice but there were definitely a few things that was unexpected that could be improved in my opinion, especially for the price that you pay to go. I would recommend this resort to friends and family, BUT let them know all of the above things first so they can make their decision accordingly. I would maybe come back to this Sandals, but first am looking forward to trying out Antigua, St Lucia and Bahamas first.

But at the end of the day, when you are on vacation in Jamaica, you can really make the best of anything. We did, and we had a great time. Ya mon!

3 Thank CanadianGal12345
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,172)
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Sandals Montego Bay was alright as far as resorts go. We like to walk the beach and there isn't much of one here to walk. There aren't enough palapas on the beach either as once the butlers reserve them all for "their people" you lose out.
The buffet food was "ok". The Stew Fish was very good. The Italian a la carte was very disappointing, wouldn`t recommend it. The Cricketer was also very good. We loved the pizza grill, very good pizza.
The nightly entertainment left a lot to be desired for the amount of money it costs you to stay at at Sandals resort. Very disappointing.
The rooms were nice but kind of small. Our room maid was very nice and left really nice towell art every day. We found that most of the staff were very nice and friendly and couldn`t do enough for you.
As far as the snorkelling on their Glass Bottom Boat, it was alright. They kept taking you to the same spot every time you went out. There`s a lot of reef out in front of Sandals Mo Bay and they could have gone to different spots. The guys that took you out snorkelling didn`t really seem to have their hearts into what they were doing.
I find the swimming pools at the Sandals resorts are quite small and the small pool had the swim up bar and it really wan`t very good. The bar had windows along it and it was hard to sit on one of the stools at the swim up bar and have a drink.
We have stayed at 4 and 5 star resorts that have far surpassed Sandals in every aspect. So, I would say I don`t think we would spend the money on Sandals again. We can do better for less money elsewhere.

3 Thank Debbie Z
Bagram
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

The resort was very beautiful. We were there for a wedding so we were a large party all with butler and above room types. We had a hard time getting into the restaurants except the buffet because of our group size, but I can only due Jerk Chicken so many times before you get bored. I do recommend the Cricket Pub it was a great alterative to the buffet. I was disappointed by the welcome party not a lot of choice Jerk Chicken or Jerk Pork on the grill.

The room was great beautiful with all the amenities. The butler service, well there it just depends on your butler. As I said before we were a group of 10 and we had 3 different butlers. One group never met their butler except when they arrived and when they left. We had a good butler then she went on her time off and it went downhill from there. The third butler was fantastic could not do enough for the whole group. I don't recommend spending the extra money for the butler service unless you just need the extra hassle.

The beach is great and the rest of the staff was very professional and knowledgeable. My son was supposed to get married so all the stuff for his wedding was paid before we arrived. Days before the wedding they broke up but it was paid for so we went any way. My parents decided to not let the wedding plan go to waste and renewed their vows. The resort wedding planner apologized but was unable to just rebook the wedding. We had to cancel everything which they took half of the money already paid and then we had to rebook everything and pay for it again. The ceremony and all was great. Well worth the money even if I did have to pay for it twice. Over all it was not a bad trip.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank 2gone
Burlington, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed at this resort for only 2 nites after being at Sandals Negril for 6 nites. We chose Sandals Mo Bay because of proximity to airport. Property is very long and narrow, but everything is within a 10 min. walk. Pizza was good and buffet was average. Planes don't really bother you - just wave goodbye. Was dissapointed in the Italian restaraunt. Other than that we didn't have time to try other a la carts.
Overall I'd rate this resort as very good.

2 Thank schooner7
Las Cruces, New Mexico
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

My nephew and his wife picked this resort as the location for their wedding. My mother and father had passed away very recently so my disabled husband and I decided it would be a really nice thing to take some time and revive our lives and spend this time honoring family by attending their wedding in Jamaica. When we booked the trip we booked with the wedding code to make sure we were booked with the wedding party and we also paid for the upgrade to an Premium Seaside ROOM which guaranteed a bottom floor room. When I booked this I also told the person I needed the lower rooms because my husband cannot do stairs very well -he had had major surgery just 6 weeks prior to our visit. When we arrived we were told at the airport by Sandals staff they had overbooked and they were going to locate a room at an associated resort. We explained we were part of the wedding party and most of the events and things we were participating in were located there. She said they would take us to the resort and see what they could do but could make no promises. We got there and they left us in some kind of holding area alone for a short period of time then they came and took my husband away for an hour and I was left there by myself. We had not eaten all day due to flight issues. Our flight was 1/2 hr late. We arrived approx 4pm. I finally went to look for them and located my husband and we were told we could go to the room. They took us to the very farthest section of the property away from the resort. Then our escort showed us the 3 flights of stairs to our room. I explained this would not do and we paid for a room on the lower floor. He took us back to talk with management. They said because we were late, our room was given to someone else. There were no other rooms, we could either take that room OR sleep in the lobby. They did not have the information my husband was disabled because they only get the booking information about 2 weeks ahead of the visit from the reservations desk. I was heartbroken and asked if we we went to an associated hotel would they take care of our transportation to make sure we were at the events for the wedding during our stay. The manager told us that option was no longer available. There we were at 7pm - we were supposed to meet for the grooms dinner at 8pm and we had not had an opportunity to take a shower, change into our dinner attair or anything. Management was not concerned. They had our money - NO WONDER THEY MAKE YOU PAY IN FULL IN ADVANCE. I sat in the lobby and cried... They were not concerned. They had no more rooms available and there was nothing they could do. This disaster is way longer than space allows here, it gets worse... SKIP SANDALS - they did not make this disaster right and did not even offer us a discount and told us it was our problem,even after writing a letter and an e-mail. They said if I would upgrade to the Sandals Select Club they would possibly do something... but could make no promises... if you want my complete letter on this e-mail me chattykturkl@gmail.com

Room Tip: Don't bother - they won't care and will put you whereever they want.