“Book It......You'll have a good time!!!”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
USA
“Book It......You'll have a good time!!!”
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I hate all-inclusives......but this place was fun, and I'd go again!!!!
The facilities are good. The location is nice, but the staff is GREAT!!!
Tons of food, a bunch of pools, oceanfront, parties, entertainment, and a really good time. Multiple restaurants so you dont have to do buffets. Not one person harassed me for a tip....no one. But I tip good service no matter all-incl or not.
Book it....have fun and enjoy. I will go back next time with more family and friends!!!!!!

Room Tip: choosing a good room....my advice, dont sweat the room, cuz you shouldnt be wasting time in a room...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank bundyomega
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,455)
  • Polish first
Milton, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 9 September 2012

To be honest, after reading some of the reviews on this hotel on Trip Advisor, my husband and I (both in our 60's) were a little apprehensive about what to expect. We were blown away when we got there. First, this was not the Ritz Carlton so some people obviously expected that but didn't pay the price of going to a Ritz Carlton. I have travelled extensively globally and for what we paid, the value was excellent. The food was great with something to please everyone (especially the local dishes which were different everyday and available for breakfast, lunch and dinner). The three specialty restaurants were also great, especially the Italian. We can't say enough about the service throughout the hotel. From arrival to departure everyone was fantastic. The rooms were clean, airy and we had a fabulous view. The General Manager and Guest Services Manager went out of their way and beyond what was expected when my Blackberry fell into the water and was permanently damaged. I cannot thank them enough for their assistance. We will be returning for sure. It was a great holiday.
Thanks, Judy Johnston

Room Tip: We were on the top floor of Tower A and loved it. The view was exceptional.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Judy J
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 9 September 2012

I found this deal to SSBR online for VERY cheap so I thought for the money how bad can it be right?? I read a few reviews and they were very mixed as most hotels are so I went for it. This was not my first "rodeo" I have been to Jamaica 13 times!! I have stayed at resorts such as Couples and also smaller resorts such as Decameron so I was NOT expecting a 5 star joint! We arrived about 3:00 and they said our room was not ready. Ok no big deal we went exploreing. Got back at 4:00 and still not ready. UGH...... I asked did I get a room in the east wing as I requested on my reservation. She said no I was in towerB. I was not happy but oh well. After getting in the room we were very surprised how nice the room really was. Oh and no clocks in the room at all REALLY how are you supose to make a dinner reservation on time if you have no clue what time it is?? I was not happy about having to take an elevator up 10 stories but it is what it is. Front Desk clerk was NOT rude as I had read online. Lobby and gift shop were very impressive. Spa and gym very nice. We changed and got in the pool. It was a disapointment. VERY run down. Stained, missing tiles. Swim up bar was in bad condition. Went down to the beach. VERY ROCKY, not the soft white sand I had hoped for. Water was nice and clear and pretty but still Rocky under the feet and lots of sea grass and mud. Hot tub also very run down. Went to get a Red Stripe and it tasted terrible. For some reason the Red Stripe light was Ok but the regular was horrible. This was at all the bars. ODD! Went to dinner and was not impressed at the Buffet. You would think a salad bar would have more then just lettuce on it. Oh no that was about it lettuce, carrotts, beats and dressing and nothing to put on the salad! Went to a little of the night show and it was bad so we left. ( most of the night shows were bad, horrible sound system) The next day I really really wanted to be moved to their Negril property and just pay the extra but we had buisness with a local friend in town so it would just have been too diffacult. At Breakfast I was very disapointed in how bad the coffee was. YUK I am in Jamaica I expect good coffee there. NOT!! Breakfast was same as dinner. Not very good. This was the first AI resort I have stayed at where you had to BUY a pattie. They are for sale not included in the stay! Very disapointing. We ate lunch at the beach grill. What a let down. After trying it for a few days I gave up. Everything there was BAD!! We ventured to the water park to try out the lazy river. It moves so slow you have to get out and push yourself through. Plenty of tubes were avalible though. I thought the water park was in decent shape. We ate at the 2 of the speciality resturants and I thought they were pretty good!! Staff was very nice everywhere.We tipped them very well and I was surprised at the lack of tipping. Really SAD! Touching on the staff I have never been at an AI where the entertainment staff was NOT friendly. Not once did any of the ET staff even say hello to us. We stayed at RIU last year and from the first min we walked onto the resort they were going out of their way to say hello and introduce themself. Never met a single one at SSBR. The Disco was also a JOKE. It was a run down area with pool tables they called a Disco after 11:00pm. It was a guy playing Ipod. No One was ever in there. At the RIU their Disco was huge, nice, DJ and lots of people dancing. This resort is really for FAMILIES. Everytime we go to Jamaica we meet people. Not this trip. Everyone had KIDS! Kids galore and screaming and running. Kids kids kids!! We thought the majority of the kids would be in the water park area and not at the swim up bar but WRONG! Managers cocktail party was a nice touch. Last but not least I got sick at this resort. VERY SICK. I have never in 13 yrs of going to Jamaica gotten sick. By the time I landed at home the hubby took me straight to the ER. They thought I had somesort of parasite or food poisening. If this would have been my first trip to Jamaica I might have said never again but I know this does not usualy happen. I think if you have kids and want to go to bed early, dont care about a rocky beach, old pools and bad food you may be Ok with SSBR. The only thing I really liked was the specialty resturants and our room. I wont be back. Not sure If I would give SAP a try in Negril I would have to do my homework for sure!!!

Room Tip: I agree I wouldnt pay for an Ocean front room. I did and aksed to be in the east wing so I could wal...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank marylynn1966
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 7 September 2012

We just booked out 4th trip to Sunset Beach. Like last year, we are going in October because the coral reef is in bloom. We love snorkeling, and the coral reef marine park is just a couple of minutes from shore. I am not a big swimmer, so I mean only 3 to 5 minutes of easy swimming. Few know of the nude beach just past the beach bar. It's a spit of land aiming toward the airport. It's wide and long, with trees for shade and lots of interesting rocks and things (unlike the other two beaches, which are pure sand. We meet the most interesting people there, though if you want to be quiet and alone there's lots of space.

Another advantage is safety. Sunset Beach is the last hotel in the curve of Montego Bay. This means that you go almost directly to your resort rather than spending hours commuting to Negril or the other side of the island. More beach time! Also, this means that no one is going to head out from town to bother you. Just in case, however, there are guards patrolling 24 hours. There is a guard for the nude beach to make sure only those who remove ALL their clothes pass the big green wall. The guards are very friendly -- on this trip I promised to bring some Harlequin romance books for the lady guards.

I don't come to a fun resort for fancy food, but we enjoy what is provided: lots of fresh fruit, fish every day, desserts, and special restaurants as well. The staff, including management, do what they can to make our time enjoyable. They've made improvements since last October, and I look forward to seeing what they are.

As for going in October, before I went in 2011 I checked the weather. It said rain every day. BUT it rained up in the hills, not at the beach. The only rain was one late afternoon, and we saw the most magnificent lightning display far out on the ocean.

The only downside was the time it took to check in and out, but I expect it has been fixed in the last year. If not, I'll be noting it here.

Room Tip: The rooms directly facing the ocean (Cabana Section Beachfront) are only a short stroll to the water...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
9 Thank Reece B
San Francisco
Reviewed 6 September 2012

The Bad!!! The resort is pretty run down, especially kids pool, and pirate ship. The food was HORRIBLE, I mean HORRIBLE we could only eat the jerk chicken, and rice. The selection was the same every day breakfast, lunch and dinner with no change at all. Atleast if you are going to offer the same thing over and over make it good, and worth eating. The Italian restaurant was the worst food I have ever eaten, and in no way Italian food we took two bites and ended up leaving. The only thing my son would eat was rice, pancakes, and peanut butter sandwichs. Our Toilet overflowed due to a faulty toilet and flooded our room covering everything we had with toilet water. When we called down stairs they told us they would not give us another room. The staff came and basicly just pushed the toilet water around with a mop using no cleaners what so ever. I have a 3 year old son so the rest of the time I had to pick him up when we entered the room to keep him from walking on pee pee floors. We had to throw away our luggage and buy new ones due to the fact they were covered with toilet water. My family travels three times a year to all inclusive resorts, we always try a different place, and a different island. This resort by far was the worst we have been to so far. The kids pool area is good for the little ones, and the water slides are cool, but they do not clean the pool often. The pirate ship looks like it has been closed for awhile so dont expect it to be opened when you go. The beach was small but nice and clean, and they did have a decent watersport program with kayak's, paddle boats etc. If you dont mind horrible food, and are just going for the water slides and beach its ok. I would not go back again. Jamaica is beautiful but would highly recommend a different resort. Also we paid extra for Beach Front rooms, expecting for it to be right on the beach like any other resort. We actually got a room 9 stories up on the B tower that only had a ocean view. Just a tip if you stay here dont pay extra for Ocean front, and aside from the view the waterpark rooms are actually closer to everything and only in a two story unit. I would recommend bringing your own snacks. The nightlife is almost non existant. Normally the all inclusives we stay at have great nightly shows and we always enjoy them. Here they would mostly just have people singing which after about 30 min we got tired of it and just went to the bar.
The Good!!! Nice beach, lots of pools, alcohol and drinks are good. Some of the staff was friendly. The kids pool is big and there are two cool water slides. The gift shop is fairly priced. They have plenty of beach chairs and places to sit. Watersports are good with kayaks and paddleboats. Close to the airport so makes it easy to get in and out.

Room Tip: They claim beach front but this is actually just ocean view so dont waste the extra money.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
10.1 km away
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#17 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK