“Unhappy Stay”

Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
Kingston, Jamaica
“Unhappy Stay”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2012

I booked an ocean view room and they placed me in a cottage where one view was a row of zinc fencing and the other was just bush. The manager apologized and explained that the hotel was filled to capacity and that's the reason why they placed me where they did, which I think was very rude because they did so without explaining to me at first. The next day I was moved to an ocean view room which was very clean and nice but I had to check out from the old room and waited almost 3 hours to get into the other. They took my bags to the wrong room which took them another hour and a half to find. The food was terrible. The management staff were rude and you know what, that will be my first and last time staying at that hotel.....

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank sasha r
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,402)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2012

This place was my first all-inclusive experience. I like buffet food was way better than restaurants. You can snorkeling all day long the beach front of this hotel. Drink was good, and I liked their Dirty Banana. Yes, it's not polished and spectacular as hotel, everything well functioned. I had a good week vacation.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
5 Thank consumeraffair
Ontario,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I have visited Jamaica for many years and this year came back to the Sunset Beach Resort in Monego Bay as a returning guest. My 84 year old Mother was with us. She was a guest here (when it was the Seawind) for 18 years and this visit was her second at what is now the Sunset. What a disappointment for us!! First we were given rooms that overlooked a tin roof, second the rooms smelled of urine and mould. I was sick with asthma as a result for several days!! The only solution offered was to clean the A/C unit filters. And nobody came to check on us after that to make sure we were comfortable. We found the food below average with little selection and a lot of repetition.
One thing we have always loved about Jamaica is the friendly people. The staff there just seemed to go through the motions without much enthusiasm!! There were a few exceptions, one being Shaudae at the guest service desk!!
On a positive note, we were invited to a dinner for returning guests that was very good!!
I was married at this resort in 2008 (it sure has gone downhill since then) so it is with sadness that I can't in good conscience recommend it and will very likely not return!!

Room Tip: NOT overlooking the tin roof!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
8 Thank Jamgirlatheart
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

I've travelled to all inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean and I have no idea how this resort earned a 4 star rating. By all accounts, this is a 3 star resort... and we probably paid a 3 star price tag so although our price was right, I'm not sure I'd stay here again. We were 3 single girls in our late 20s/early 30s and this is how I'd break down the hotel;

***Rooms*** We were upgraded to a Cabana room on the West Wing, which [location-wise] was great because we only had an Oceanfront tower room booked. So, we were right on the beach and literally a step away from the ocean. BUT, the room was dated, damp, and the bathroom was so gross I almost felt the need to shower in my flip flops. Considering our proximity to the beach, and the abnormal amount of rain we experienced while there, perhaps the dampness was to be expected, but packing a luggage full of damp clothes and and finding damp bills in my wallet upon departure was gross. These rooms were also a spit away from the entertainment area... so if you're a light sleeper brace yourself.

*** Food *** There was nothing special about the food- it was average and the same thing every day. I'd put it on par with Cuba food. We looked every day for Jamaican patties and only found them off the resort and at the airport. The Asian a la cart food was good, although extreamely slow. An 8pm reservation kept us there until 11pm. The Italian restaurant was an insult to Italian food everywhere... I ordered a 'grilled vegetable pizza' and it came with cheddar cheese, carrots, and squash...??? It boggles me how I could have read such positive things about that restaurant on tripadvisor before I left.

*** Entertainment/Night Life *** A few times we requested [Jamaican] songs be played onsite and never had one request fulfilled. So while the onsite entertainment was nothing great, this hotel was great at arranging free shuttles to take us into the local clubs. Pier One on a Friday night was an absolute must... probably my favourite in the entire Caribbean. Although we never took advantage of the shuttles to Margaritaville, we heard that Thursday nights there are awesome tood.

*** Activities *** We enjoyed the water slides daily, and it looks like a great resort for children... However, given that it rained a lot during our stay, there were minimal activites to keep us busy while indoor. Some other 3-4 stars in the Caribbean have game rooms, cards, billiards, etc... but not this one.

*** Staff *** While most provided just average service and disposition, some were downright incompetent. There were two instances where we waited in line at the service area or at check-in to ask a question, have it answered, and then told later by another staff memeber that we were ill-informed. Once was to confirm a check-out time, and the other was to ask if Canadian money was accepted. Both times we were told one thing, and then told it was wrong. After waiting by the poolside bar for 5 mintues, we were asked "are you waiting for something?" by the bartender, only to be told the bar was closed.
On that note, special shout out to Steve, Jordi, and Julian for making our trip memorable.

*** Value *** Overall, for the money we paid, I'm not sure how much we can complain about... We paid a 3 star price and got a 3 star vacation.

Room Tip: The West Cabana rooms are great [location-wise] but bathrooms were gross, my luggage was 3 pounds he...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank FrqntTrvllr
Kalamazoo MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

At first I was very hesitant on visiting this hotel but choose to do so becasue of all the bad reviews I have seen here about it. As a travel agent it is important that I have a first hand knowledge of the resorts I send my clients to.

Check in:
checking in was not complicated at all. The entire process took abotu 10 minutes seeing that we had arrived at 2:30pm on a friday. My room was not ready, however we were allowed to have lunch and enjoy the facility until our rooms became ready. Be warned that if you loose your room keys there is a $5 replacement charge. If you loose your towel card it is a $15 charge and if you loose the safe key its $100. Be wary of these charges, I think they are unnecessary.

Room:
I was in A912 and the room was very good. I had a great partial view of the ocean. The room was very clean and had the appearance that it was recently painted. The bed was also comfortable. One note, house keeping does a good job at cleaning your room however it may be done late depending on who is working.

Food:
The food was ok. There were days when the buffett was lacking and other days when it was good. Clinton on the omlet station was good. I would rather that they had more Jamaican dishes and a better quality and array of desserts.
The Jamaican Restaurant "Pimento" was good. The food was great, the same for the Asian. For me the best one was the Asian, then the Jerk cafe, then Pimento, then the buffett.
The drinks were also good. I did not have any problems or issues getting my drinks promptly at the bars. They were out of cups a few times but that was it.

Entertainment:
The entertainment is an area where I believe that this hotel must invest significantly in. Firstly there is no disco. This was very dissapointing. They had a sports bar with 2 pool tables and a very small spot to congregate. There was no lighting, no dance floor, no dj. For music the entertainment team would have to bring in their laptop with their music to give the place a good feel. Even thou they try, there is only so much that they can do without the proper equiptment. With so many youg people at the property, it is essential that they invest some serious funds into the entertainment department.
The nightly entertainment was at the stage was ok except for 2 nights out of five. And again I believe that it could have been better if they had the resources to work with. Shout out to the entertainment team that double as DJ's, and to Samantha and Yanique.

Teen/Kids:
This resort has a teen center which I do not believe is utilized properly. It is not widely promoted and does not have much for teens to do. If promoted I believe that both the teen center and the kids center that offers free baby sitting and activities for kids would be a great sell for the hotel.

Water park:
I visited the water park even on a day when the cruise ship guest came in and it was not overwhelming. The hotel clearly makes adequate accomodations for these guests.

Suggestions:
Get a real disco with a DJ. Get rid of the gaming machines and get a real disco.
Have the daily activities shown on a house channel in the rooms.
Promote the teen center and kids club on the website and in brochures
Provide each guest with 30 minutes of free in-room internet daily.
Provide some form of incentives for guest to participate in the entertainment activities. Offer a fifth of rum or 1/2 llb of coffee for participating. This could also be done using Sunset cash, where each guest can cash in 30 Sunset cash that they earn for either rum or coffee.
Have the managers i.e entertainment, food and beverage, bar, house keeping, front desk, guest relations and general manager move around the property and interact with the guest asking how their stay is going. At this time they can ask them to give the hotel a positive review on tripadvisor.

Overall, my trip was a good one. Special thanks to all the individuals who made it special. Special thanks to Renee, Samantha, Yanique, Michael, Kenijah and Antionet Watson.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,178 reviews

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK