“Mediocre, but great value.”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #19 of 64 Hotels in Montego Bay
Reviewed 30 April 2012

I've travelled to all inclusive resorts all over the Caribbean and I have no idea how this resort earned a 4 star rating. By all accounts, this is a 3 star resort... and we probably paid a 3 star price tag so although our price was right, I'm not sure I'd stay here again. We were 3 single girls in our late 20s/early 30s and this is how I'd break down the hotel;

***Rooms*** We were upgraded to a Cabana room on the West Wing, which [location-wise] was great because we only had an Oceanfront tower room booked. So, we were right on the beach and literally a step away from the ocean. BUT, the room was dated, damp, and the bathroom was so gross I almost felt the need to shower in my flip flops. Considering our proximity to the beach, and the abnormal amount of rain we experienced while there, perhaps the dampness was to be expected, but packing a luggage full of damp clothes and and finding damp bills in my wallet upon departure was gross. These rooms were also a spit away from the entertainment area... so if you're a light sleeper brace yourself.

*** Food *** There was nothing special about the food- it was average and the same thing every day. I'd put it on par with Cuba food. We looked every day for Jamaican patties and only found them off the resort and at the airport. The Asian a la cart food was good, although extreamely slow. An 8pm reservation kept us there until 11pm. The Italian restaurant was an insult to Italian food everywhere... I ordered a 'grilled vegetable pizza' and it came with cheddar cheese, carrots, and squash...??? It boggles me how I could have read such positive things about that restaurant on tripadvisor before I left.

*** Entertainment/Night Life *** A few times we requested [Jamaican] songs be played onsite and never had one request fulfilled. So while the onsite entertainment was nothing great, this hotel was great at arranging free shuttles to take us into the local clubs. Pier One on a Friday night was an absolute must... probably my favourite in the entire Caribbean. Although we never took advantage of the shuttles to Margaritaville, we heard that Thursday nights there are awesome tood.

*** Activities *** We enjoyed the water slides daily, and it looks like a great resort for children... However, given that it rained a lot during our stay, there were minimal activites to keep us busy while indoor. Some other 3-4 stars in the Caribbean have game rooms, cards, billiards, etc... but not this one.

*** Staff *** While most provided just average service and disposition, some were downright incompetent. There were two instances where we waited in line at the service area or at check-in to ask a question, have it answered, and then told later by another staff memeber that we were ill-informed. Once was to confirm a check-out time, and the other was to ask if Canadian money was accepted. Both times we were told one thing, and then told it was wrong. After waiting by the poolside bar for 5 mintues, we were asked "are you waiting for something?" by the bartender, only to be told the bar was closed.
On that note, special shout out to Steve, Jordi, and Julian for making our trip memorable.

*** Value *** Overall, for the money we paid, I'm not sure how much we can complain about... We paid a 3 star price and got a 3 star vacation.

Room Tip: The West Cabana rooms are great [location-wise] but bathrooms were gross, my luggage was 3 pounds he...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank FrqntTrvllr
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Sunscape Splash Montego Bay

Reviewed 30 April 2012

At first I was very hesitant on visiting this hotel but choose to do so becasue of all the bad reviews I have seen here about it. As a travel agent it is important that I have a first hand knowledge of the resorts I send my clients to.

Check in:
checking in was not complicated at all. The entire process took abotu 10 minutes seeing that we had arrived at 2:30pm on a friday. My room was not ready, however we were allowed to have lunch and enjoy the facility until our rooms became ready. Be warned that if you loose your room keys there is a $5 replacement charge. If you loose your towel card it is a $15 charge and if you loose the safe key its $100. Be wary of these charges, I think they are unnecessary.

Room:
I was in A912 and the room was very good. I had a great partial view of the ocean. The room was very clean and had the appearance that it was recently painted. The bed was also comfortable. One note, house keeping does a good job at cleaning your room however it may be done late depending on who is working.

Food:
The food was ok. There were days when the buffett was lacking and other days when it was good. Clinton on the omlet station was good. I would rather that they had more Jamaican dishes and a better quality and array of desserts.
The Jamaican Restaurant "Pimento" was good. The food was great, the same for the Asian. For me the best one was the Asian, then the Jerk cafe, then Pimento, then the buffett.
The drinks were also good. I did not have any problems or issues getting my drinks promptly at the bars. They were out of cups a few times but that was it.

Entertainment:
The entertainment is an area where I believe that this hotel must invest significantly in. Firstly there is no disco. This was very dissapointing. They had a sports bar with 2 pool tables and a very small spot to congregate. There was no lighting, no dance floor, no dj. For music the entertainment team would have to bring in their laptop with their music to give the place a good feel. Even thou they try, there is only so much that they can do without the proper equiptment. With so many youg people at the property, it is essential that they invest some serious funds into the entertainment department.
The nightly entertainment was at the stage was ok except for 2 nights out of five. And again I believe that it could have been better if they had the resources to work with. Shout out to the entertainment team that double as DJ's, and to Samantha and Yanique.

Teen/Kids:
This resort has a teen center which I do not believe is utilized properly. It is not widely promoted and does not have much for teens to do. If promoted I believe that both the teen center and the kids center that offers free baby sitting and activities for kids would be a great sell for the hotel.

Water park:
I visited the water park even on a day when the cruise ship guest came in and it was not overwhelming. The hotel clearly makes adequate accomodations for these guests.

Suggestions:
Get a real disco with a DJ. Get rid of the gaming machines and get a real disco.
Have the daily activities shown on a house channel in the rooms.
Promote the teen center and kids club on the website and in brochures
Provide each guest with 30 minutes of free in-room internet daily.
Provide some form of incentives for guest to participate in the entertainment activities. Offer a fifth of rum or 1/2 llb of coffee for participating. This could also be done using Sunset cash, where each guest can cash in 30 Sunset cash that they earn for either rum or coffee.
Have the managers i.e entertainment, food and beverage, bar, house keeping, front desk, guest relations and general manager move around the property and interact with the guest asking how their stay is going. At this time they can ask them to give the hotel a positive review on tripadvisor.

Overall, my trip was a good one. Special thanks to all the individuals who made it special. Special thanks to Renee, Samantha, Yanique, Michael, Kenijah and Antionet Watson.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
15  Thank yardie8860
Reviewed 29 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this resort April 15-23. Service was great most of the time. The alacartes were great but our reservation at itailian was an hour late getting in then we did have to grab another waiter and ask if we could be served drinks. Food was great though. We stayed at a resort in negril last year and the entertainment staff there was excellent! We new each of them by name and at this resort i could tell you who was entertainment staff. Other then two nights out of eight of our stay the evening entertainment wasnt worth watching. Dont get me wrong there is alot to do on this resort, if you have kids with u. We didnt have our kids with us and yes there are two adult beaches but no kids free pools or hot tubs. Ever the swim up bar pools were full of kid. One day i counted eight very little kids wearing life jackets in hot tub beside swim up pool. Our room was great! Resort is clean! Staff on a whole were fine. Very safe feeling resort. If traveling with our teenagers we would come back but without children I don't think we would come back to this resort!

• Stayed: April 2012
4  Thank loverofjamaica
Reviewed 29 April 2012

This was my first experience at a resort and being in the Caribbean, so keeping cool was a must. The swim up pool bartenders Wendy and Garcia were so much fun! And at night, the air conditioned bar was great for the younger night life people. Al made sure our party was always fun and the cups were never empty. I can't wait to return!

Room Tip: Rooms in Tower B are probably quieter at night, the band that plays under Tower A can be pretty loud...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Spors
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We stayed at the Sunset Beach Resort from 4/20-4/26. The rooms were very disappointing. They were not real clean and the East side rooms are old and outdated. The beds did not have "comforters' and the blankets all had holes in them. The rooms were kept at 66 degrees and you froze every night! We did ask the maids for extra blankets and they were great with responding to our needs. We love going to Jamaica because of the friendly people, but this sure is not true at this resort. Our grandson hurt his knee and the nurse acted like we bothered her for a band-aid! This is the 3rd time we have vacationed in Jamaica but we will not be going back to this resort. I tried to talk to Manager of the resort Mr. Golden but he was never around. I am easy to please and understand that I would not be getting a 5 star but was hoping for some friendly faces. The Beach food area was great but there was a lady their named Benisha? that was the rudest person I have ever met!! We did not allow the staff to ruin our vacation and we love Jamaica. We took our daughter,son-in-law and grandson for the first time and I am sad to see how we were treated because we always told them how the Jamaicans were so friendly. The water park was wonderful and the weather was great. We will be returning to Jamaica but not this resort.

Room Tip: I heard the towers were remodeled but the East and West area's are very outdated.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
7  Thank Sandra M
MMSunset, Manager at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 April 2012

Dear Sandra M,

The East side of our hotel (along with Twr A and Twr B) recently underwent a significant renovation in October. Your comments are without merit and contradict that of many repeat guests who appreciate our efforts to maintain our product.... a uniquely Jamaican family resort offering great value to both new and longstanding guests. All rooms have in-room AC temperature controls. Thus, I'm at a loss to hear that we kept the temperature at 66 degrees. Having said that, I must dismiss your comments regarding our staff members whom you chose to name, presumably an attempt to embarass them. Thankfully, I think most Trip Advisor readers can distinguish between reviewers who are unhappy with the hotel, or just unhappy.

Operations Mgr.

10.1 km away
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
Zoetry Montego Bay Jamaica
#16 of 64 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK