“sunset beach resort montego bay”

Sunscape Splash Montego Bay
Ranked #17 of 61 Hotels in Montego Bay
TORONTO
“sunset beach resort montego bay”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

just got back from sunset beach resort montego bay, what a nice resort, has everything you need the beach was swimmable and lots of people did snorkeling. Enjoyed kayaking. the food was good, our room was great got a suite and had a view of ocean and the mountains at night and saw the yachts and cruise ships. (rmA1012)the entertainment was good a good singer and also a steel band. nice pools , the beach was kept clean, really enjoyed it all. would recommend this resort.

Room Tip: enjoyed our corner suite A1012
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank TorontoSunshinelover
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,401)
  • Polish first
Vermont
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We just returned from our first trip to Jamaica and the Sunset Beach Resort. The warmth and graciousness of the staff was exceptional. If there were any issues, the staff went out of their way to resolve them to the very best of their ability. The management was very hands on and visible throughout our stay to all the guests. This is unusual especially considering the amount of people that were there during Spring break. The resort itself is family friendly, more than comfortable and attractively appointed. The lobby is sprawling and inviting enough for people to just hang out. Instead of just going to ones room, which happens in most hotels, people congregated and relaxed. Our room was spacious, clean, and a great view of the ocean. The beach was beautiful, although we spent most of our time in one of the 4 pools. My favorite was the lazy river and floating on the tube. Talk about relaxation! The food was fine....buffet always had something for everyone and lots of it. Jamaican and Carribean nights were special and alot of fun. The food in the Asian and Italian restaurant were equally tasty. The restaurants however, do not change the menu so they need to offer more of a selection. Excursion not to be missed is Dunns Falls if you have not been in Jamaica before. My son loved the wakeboarding and that staff is just as nice as the hotels. Special thanks to Shaudae, Rene, Maurice, Steve, Clinton the omelet maker and Clinton the bar tender, Janet who did such a beautiful job cleaning our room, Everett, Karlene, and all the other staff members who smiled throughout the day and night to make our vacation so very enjoyable. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Claudia B
Port Williams
Reviewed 24 April 2012

It was my first trip to Jamaica .Jamaica was beautiful .
The hotel was really nice but there were 11 of us and they separated us , 3 couples were put in one building and the 3 in one room were put in the other building , which wasn't much of a problem .The entertainment was lacking at night . I was in bed around 9 each night as there wasn't enough interesting entertainment to keep me up The food was excellent and I found the servers excellent also .The waiters and waitresses were as pleasant as can be always right there to offer anything we needed .
I think tho that the drinks that we were served [all inclusive ] were watered down and I am not a drinker but I drank a lot without feeling any buzz at all .
The grounds were beautiful and well maintained .I will return if I have a chance .

Room Tip: Just make sure when a group comes in not to separate them .Room was fine for the time spent there .
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank nanniej5
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This was my first time going to Jamaica
and unfortunately my stay in this hotel was not enjoyable.
The bar staff was always serious, never friendly.
Wait staff at all restaurants were the same also.
I could say there is choices of spicy food and the same is served every day.
When you go to this hotel, you are basically on your own.
The employees even get upset at asking what activities they offer,
and any other questions you might have.
It did not meet my expectations.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Raechael
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 April 2012

If you're traveling with little ones, this resort has it all - nice beaches, good pools, a fun water park, a good kid's program, and decent food available all the time. And, all at a reasonable price. Don't expect a 5-star resort (you're not paying for a 5-star resort) and you'll have a lovely time.

ROOMS: We stayed in the W wing, next to the water park and were really happy there. Just steps from the best pools at the resort and really quiet at night. Bonus: we even had a view of the ocean from our balcony, although we hadn't paid for an ocean view. These rooms aren't in the towers and they have lovely gardens and a nice Caribbean feel. While I thought they were a little run-down when I checked in, by day 2 I just thought they had character. Only negative is that these rooms are pretty far from the restaurant and rest of the resort, but that's why they're quiet, so I'll take that trade-off.

BEACHES: A few to choose from: when we had the kids with us, we went to the smoother, easier to play in the water and build sand-castles beach (the main one). This is the one with the nice reef offshore. But, even closer to shore, near the rocks, kids can see starfish and sea urchins and tropical fish. Cool. When we were just us adults, we went to the adults-only beach which was so quiet and relaxing and had lots of shade trees and chairs available. We never used the nude beach, but saw some pretty happy people come and go from it.

We enjoyed the snorkling in the bay - but would have prefered to go out and look around at our own pace. Unfortunately, you can only use the resort's equipment if you go with a resort group. If I went back, I'd bring my own equipment. It can be bought at the resort store, but at a steep price. Speaking of which...

RESORT SHOP: Has everything you need or want - but (understandably) VERY expensive. They know they're your only option, unless you want to blow 3 hours of your vacation (and $10 per person) on a shopping excursion to town. For example: $12 for 10 diapers. Yikes! Bring your own sand toys, sun screen, diapers, etc.

POOLS and WATER PARK: Exceeded our expectations, probably because the water park staff are so laid back and cool. They allowed our 2 year old to go down the slides on her daddy's lap and our 6 year old to use a floatie on the slides, too. They LOVED it. We spent many, many happy hours there. The lazy river and fountains were really fun to play in, too. And, the pool there starts out really shallow, so it's a great place for toddlers. The kiddie pool (near Club Mongoose) has a smaller slide to get the kids used to water-sliding before hitting the big slides.

FOOD: The buffets were decent and had good hours, and if our kids were hungry at off hours (or we wanted to feed them early so we could have a date later), the burger/ jerk chicken shack was open when the buffet wasn't. I'm not too picky about food, and I thought there was a good variety - everybody was happy. Drinks service was spotty, but I can get up and get my own Diet Coke or coffee if I need to, so no big deal. We also enjoyed the 3 sit-down restaurants, but thought they were better without the kids because the service was "relaxed" - nice without kids, but slooow with kids. The Asian restaurant was okay. The Italian one had good atmosphere and okay food. The Caribbean one had great service and great food.

Oh - and we loved the bars! Nicely spaced out over the resort, rarely crowded. My kids enjoyed Shirley Temples and banana smoothies while we enjoyed all that delicious rum.

CLUB MONGOOSE: Will watch your kids (ages 2-12) while you and your spouse have some time alone. What's not to love? Check the board outside the club to see when they have activities planned. My kids attended birthday parties, sand castle building contests, and other fun events. At times, it's just "free play" which amounted to my kids watching TV - but I didn't really mind, because they were so tired from swimming, they needed the down-time. They also have evening hours - but sometimes they are shortened or eliminated because of kid-friendly evening entertainment - so, check the board before you schedule a date-night. The staff at Club Mongoose were so friendly and sweet with my kids. They loved it there.

To address other reviewers' concerns:
Yes, the resort could use more (and non-broken) beach chairs and umbrellas. But, we were always able to find chairs, if not shade. The beach and pools never felt crowded to me - except for the day Carnival Cruises came in (just one day of seven). The resort adds extra bar space and buffet space to accomodate the extra people, but they can't add pool and beach space. If coming again, I'd find out when Carnival is coming in and book my trip to Dolphin Cove or Dunn's River Falls on that day.

Some background so you know where I'm coming from: I traveled with my husband and two kids (ages 2 and 6) in April, 2012. We live in California and have traveled a lot to beaches in Hawaii and Thailand, but this was our first trip to the Caribbean and first time at an all-inclusive.

Room Tip: E Wing rooms are very removed from everything except beautiful gardens and quiet beaches - perfect i...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
0.6 km away
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 61 in Montego Bay

Been to Sunscape Splash Montego Bay? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK