See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 February 2017 via mobile

I must say from the photos on booking.com I was excited to come here. I was highly disappointed and feel highly ripped off. The hotel could be a lovely place however management needs to spend time listening and fixing the issue not blaming his young staff. Jamaica breakfast was lovely but standard breakfast needs to upgrade from eggs eggs eggs for breakfast I had to buy my own beans and ketchup. The rooms need real curtains or blinds along with a dusting down of the hotel. The common ground toilets need hand towels toilet paper and hand soap. The bar needs more choices of drinks and snacks on offer like crisps nuts cake etc. We got badly bitten and kept asking for room spray to which each night I got there is non. The new name all inclusive is mind blowing as you only get all inclusive if you pick that as a choice with chips only on offer for lunch. My air con was broken. Bath disgusting and only offer a room change two days in. Pool was dirty with no pool sofas. The free airport ride was the highlight of my stay as we got to leave. Update your photos, get staff dusting when they have nothing to do, get some uniform. Come on Oliver you can do better I would love to see if it does get better but wouldn't spend my cash here.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank Shamsham28
Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for several days on our 1st honeymoon and we had a absolutely memorable weekend! My husband calls it serene and remarkable and I call it simply Beautiful. We enjoyed great Jamaican food each day and he had drinks at the bar as I enjoyed visiting with the friendly bar tenders. The Wi-Fi worked great inside for me and everywhere for him. Overall, we plan to stay again when we return. We are now at a more upscale resort and my husband keeps saying how much he misses the Reggae Reef.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 December 2016

Overall we really enjoyed our stay at Royal Reef (also called Reggae Reef)! The location on the beach is very picturesque and there are two pools. You can have privacy and chill out by the beach in a beautiful setting all day. The bed and room were fine overall. The food available for purchase was tasty and budget friendly. This is a good budget resort in which to relax! Staff were able to grab us a beer for purchase from the outdoor bar whenever we wanted which was great. The reggae tunes were playing as we were swimming and we loved that!

If you stay here, you HAVE to check out "Chill Out Hut" right down the road. We loved this outdoor, on-the-beach restaurant. It was like something out of a movie. Staff were friendly, food and drinks were amazing.

A few little things could have been improved. I booked Royal Reef through booking.com with visa. When I got there, they said their visa machine was broken and it was cash only. I didn't have cash so the hotel manager/owner drove about 15 minutes to the bank the next day. The price was also about 20% more than the price in my email from booking.com because visitor taxes, etc., were not included in the quoted price. So read the fine print on your booking!
The rooms are clean enough, but not spotless. There was dirt behind the toilet and some grime in the bathroom. Sometimes the surfaces were a kind of "sticky-clean." But the rooms were made up well each day.
One thing I didn't understand is that right after we made our booking, we got some nice, friendly emails from the hotel assuring us we would have a "Jamaican" style breakfast, which would be "brown stew chicken with green bananas, dumpling, yam, sweet potato, calolloo, or ackee and chicken with sides." This made us very excited. Instead, when we got there, all that was available for breakfast each day was eggs and toast. The "juice" was just orange tang and the coffee was full of grinds. Normally I wouldn't complain because it was free, but why individually promise guests a Jamaican breakfast and then not deliver?
Wifi was weak in the room but fine in the lobby.

FYI the resort is about 15-20 mins from Montego Bay and you shouldn't pay more than $30-35 USD to get there! And bring mosquito repellant!

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kyla B
Reviewed 23 December 2016

I switched to this hotel because the first one I booked (a villa) was a bit of a dump. This place was much better, but still had issues. The TV didn't work majority of trip and they id not clean my room the first day and I was out for 10 hours (they did come up later that evening and clean it --- but left no new towels).

THE GOOD:
+ location, the cook, the service workers, pools, small beach, gated with security, shuttle, wifi.

THE BAD:
- TV did not work in the room for the majority of my stay. They should not advertise it as an amenity as I'm sure they know it does not work half the time.
- They only accept cash as payment for rooms. Better if they accepted other forms of payment.
- Some mosquito nets on the windows would be nice as the room is full of them and flies.
- Showers could be cleaner, made more updated. Shower head needed replacing. Water was going all over the place. Did not have hot water the first morning, as they did not turn on the hot water for the room.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room first and try out the water, TV and wifi to check that it works. Ask for one on the water side.
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 31 July 2016 via mobile

This was the first hotel on our 2 week trek through Jamaica. Straight from the plane from Europe with children.

It's a small place in an environment without much else. The hotel does have a pool and a small beach. The rooms are ok, clean and with airco (some rooms have better aircos then others so if possible check before you accept the room).

Our biggest gripe was that the hotel doesn't have anything, no bar, no restaurant, can't even get a bottle of water. They tell you to go to the gas-station 100m down the road... Not good when you just arrive of a 10hour flight.

Saving grace was the 'chill-out' beach club 500m down the road where you can eat and relax.

Staff is very friendly but if they continue to provide no service I don't know how this hotel will survive.

Stayed: July 2016, travelled with family