“Not what we were expecting”
Review of Half Moon

Half Moon
Ranked #3 of 63 Hotels in Montego Bay
Queens, New York, United States
“Not what we were expecting”
Reviewed 20 April 2012

After much research on Half Moon, I decided to book our family vacation here. I booked a 5 bedroom villa for 10 people. The check in process was a breeze.
We arrived to our villa and were totally caught off guard. The villa was extremely outdated and dirty and none of the rooms connected. The rooms were old and nothing seemed to be working. Every room had a problem with plumbing. The toilets overflowed, the water would turn cold on me in the shower, the AC didnt work, there was dust everywhere.The beds were hard as a rock. Not what I was expecting for a 5 star hotel and definitely not for the price we paid. The staff of the villa werent much help and seemed like it was a problem if we asked for anything. It seemed as if this was the issue around the resort. It seemed that noone was willing to help or they were clueless about anything you asked them.
We were given 2 golf carts to travel around as the resort is HUGE. That was probably the only fun thing to do. This resort is extremely BORING!!!! There was absolutely no entertainment. If you like extreme peace and quiet, then this is the place for you. The place seemed more like a retirement home than a place to vacation.
The beach is calm and beautiful to look at however there was seaweed everywhere!
Food was decent. No complaints.
EVERYTHING at this resort is overpriced and not worth the money! Dont get me wrong, I have no problem spending money on things if they are well worth it but in this case there is absolutely nothing I can say that was worth it.
The only thing I would say that I enjoyed was the Spa. The treatments were wonderful and I went twice during my stay.
This was my fifth time in Jamaica as it is one of my favorite caribbean destinations but after staying here, it left such a bad taste in my mouth.
I will definitely not be returning to this resort nor would I ever recommend this hotel to anyone. Do not waste your money here! I would highly recommend staying at Iberostar Grand when coming to Montego Bay.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank Mulisha R
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for sharing comments regarding your recent Half Moon, A RockResort experience on TripAdvisor.

We sincerely regret that we did not exceed your expectations. Half Moon is truly a first-class resort; our vast number of return guests is evidence that we generally succeed in satisfying our most discerning clients. We trust you will give us another opportunity to serve you in the not-too-distant future.

Again, thank you for sharing your feedback.

The Half Moon Team
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (669)
New York
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Ok, I am writing this review as it is more sentimental. I have been to Half Moon twice prior over the last three years and although I wanted to make the trip with my family for a third year in a row I was unable to do so. I found other locations to go to but I must tell you that every other place in the carribean just pales in comparison to Half Moon for me and my family, and we have been to most islands and have stayed at very well known hotels.

First, the people who work here are just the nicest my family and I have come in contact with. Everyone smiles, everyone says hello and everyone is helpful. It really can make the difference between a good trip and a fantastic one. They help make it fantastic, all of them from the front desk to the gardeners who would say good morning to me as I jogs the grounds at 7:30am every day. You feel as if they become your friends for the short time you are there.

Second, there is everything to do, or nothing to do. I know it sounds like a commercial but it is true. The grounds here are vast and if you want privacy, on a beach or pool, you can have it. If you want to be around others, you can have that too. Tennis to me was the main attraction and tennis pro's are as great at the people I explained above. While I did not do Golf (I played tennis three times a day) I have heard the greens are fabulous. For the childrren, they have kids camp half days, full days, or they can just hang out with you and do nothing or anything as there is enough to keep them busy. My young daughter rode ponys often, while my son was in tennis lessons and both did half day camps. We also enjoyed the evening soccer games that the staff puts together.

Third, the property is quite large. Get a golf cart, you will need it. But it also makes for peaceful and tranquility when you in your life, like me in mine, might need it. Again, I would jog from one end of the property to the other and when done, just sit on a private white sand beach and relax. It adds years back to your life.

Fourth, the spa. Private, upscale, and relaxing. The massages were refreshing and the before and after relaxation portion was wonderful. The staff treats you well and there is a long list of services available.

Fifth, the food. Ok, I was dieting but even with that everywhere you eat on this property is outstanding. I say this but keep in mind I am from New York City so I can be critical. But here I can't. Every resturant we ate at, which was around four of them. was top notch with great service.

Sixth, the rooms. Our first year we were on the royal suites end of the resort. We were put in one room that had its own private pool and were fine with this as it was large and clean. A day later the hotel upgraded us to a room in that area on the ocean. Let me repeat this, the hotel called us up and asked us if we were interested to move to a room right on the ocean no charge. Well we did and it was breathtaking. The following year we stayed in the Hibiscus Suites by the tennis courts. These too were clean, large and accommodating. I also want to repeat, while we were there, the hotel would call us just to see if all was ok and needed anything. Very proactive on their part as opposed to wait and see if we call them.

Again, we could not go this year but that comes at a hugh loss as this might be the greatest resort in the Carribean. We do hope to return another time.

Room Tip: any of these rooms are good rooms, really. You can not go wrong.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
HalfMoonARockResort, Manager at Half Moon, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure hosting you as our treasured guests; we thank you for so beautifully detailing your recent experience at Half Moon, A RockResort. Your comprehensive comments are highly appreciated.

We are happy your experience was all you anticipated and the family thoroughly enjoyed their accommodation, food and beverage, resort activities including tennis and of course our staff, whose aim is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests.

Again, thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor, you are certainly a Half Moon Ambassador. Please contact me personally whenever you have made plans for your return visit. We have some great summer specials and it’s the staff soccer season. We look forward as always, to the pleasure of welcoming you to your “home away from home” soon.

Allendale, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This was our 3rd year at Half Moon Bay. Our 3 children, their spouses and our 8 grandchildren stayed in a 6 bedroom villa. We stayed in a resort room nearby. We couldn't have had a better family vacation. Our meals were cooked for us by a terrific cook. The butler was so helpful in all our needs. The maid washed our clothes, cleaned all the rooms every day. The children swam in the pool at the house and we spent every day at the beach. The men played golf every morning and the women went to the spa in the afternoon. Fabulous spa and golf courses. 20 minutes from airport.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lindalevy775
Dear Valued Guest,

It was a pleasure serving you as our treasured guests; we thank you for taking the time to share your Half Moon, A RockResort experience on TripAdvisor. We are delighted your villa experience was all you anticipated and you enjoyed not only your Royal Villa offerings but the various activities and hospitality of our dedicated team. Our ultimate goal is always to create an experience of a lifetime for you our valued guests.

Thank you for choosing Half Moon, it was a pleasure serving you again; as always, we look forward to welcoming you to your home-away- from-home.

uNION
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Half Moon was the most ideal place to have a small yet luxurious desitnation wedding. This resort is an amazing place to get married. Without our wedding planner, Shanoya W. I presented my wedding idea to her and she took control. Shanoya we owe you for such a perfect day 7-2-11. I don't think that it would have executed so perfectly w/o you.

Despite this resort being soooooo expensive and the beach being filled or crowded with sea weeds, the service was well worth it. Being at this resort for 2 weeks, we felt like millionaires and treated like royalties. After our wedding we were suppose to check out and go to another resort in ochio rios. We loved this resort so much and we had such a great time, my husband arranged to have us stay another week in cottage 5. Our gardner was the best also.

Room Tip: Cottage 5 comes with the best gardner and you have a pool and steps away from the beach. It is also...
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear Valued Guests,

Thank you for choosing Half Moon, A RockResort for your special occasion. We are delighted that our team and in particular Shanoya our Master Wedding Planner, created an experience of a lifetime for your “Dream Wedding” Your beautiful comments will certainly be shared with Shanoya and the rest of the team.

We’re happy your stay was all you anticipated and we thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. We look forward to the pleasure of serving you on your first anniversary and many more.

Panama City, Panama
Reviewed 16 April 2012

I went to the Half Moon Resort with my boyfriend and the place looks really good. It seems to be a good place for family vacations since there are lots of kids, so , maybe if as a couple you are looking for a place to relax this shouldn't be your first choice.

The location was nice but weird since they tell you that you can go with your car closer to your room but they don't have parking spaces.

The service is really good and fast, but the rooms are not super good for the price.

I tried two of their restaurants, Sugar Mill which is a jewel in Montego Bay ( the best restaurant we tried, MUST try it!) and Il Giardino that's nothing special.

Still it was a nice stay and we enjoyed ourselves since we didn't had any trouble at this hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
12.5 km away
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
Secrets St. James Montego Bay
#11 of 63 in Montego Bay

Been to Half Moon? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK