“Avoid this place - better options in St. Georges”
Review of Tropicana Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in St. George's
Tropicana Inn
Ranked #13 of 20 St. George's B&B and Inns
USA
“Avoid this place - better options in St. Georges”
Reviewed 22 February 2006

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night. We arrived on Grenada at approx 9pm and our final destination was Carriacou, unfortunately the ferry to Carriacou doesn't run that late, so we made advanced reservations with The Tropicana Inn for 1 night and we were going to catch the first ferry out in the morning.

Upon arriving, there was nobody in the front desk. So, we inquired in the attached nearby restaurant/bar, and got the person in charge. Apparently she was either tired or was put off by the necessity to check us in. She said the only room left was a "triple" (we did make reservations for 2 at least a month in advanced), of course we were just happy to have any room at that time, and I've never heard of a "triple" before - so game on. She explained the required deposit on all rooms - $20 in U.S. Dollars in case we swipe the key and or make phone calls. So I paid the deposit and got a receipt so I could get it back in the morning before departing.

A "triple" means 3 single beds in Grenada, apparently. It must also mean dingy walls and sheets. But I've travelled quite a bit and this was okay, even though the walls were thin and didn't go all the way up to the ceiling, I was still okay.

After unpacking, showering, and grabbing a couple of rum punches we went to bed - in separate beds of course (our luggage was happy to have it's own bed as well). We awoke in the middle of the night to the sounds of a small waterfall and stream. Realizing that this sound was coming from our triple, we were a bit concerned - turns out we had a trap door right under us that was part of their sewer system. Oh well, we just pretended we were in the forest and went back to sleep.

The next morning at checkout we again played the "find the front desk person" game. We finally won and found her after approx 15 minutes. I turned in my keys and verified that I did not make any calls, and handed over my receipt for the $20 back. Apparently, this was confusing to the staff and they spent 30 minutes trying to get in touch with their staff member who checked us in. Meanwhile, it was getting close to our ferry time and I had to leave - without my money. The "manager" didn't seem to care and even though I had a receipt and even though they had the original carbon copy in their possession (and we all looked at it together) they could not return my money. I was a tad upset - how many other people have they done this to?? It was just too obvious that either 1. They didn't trust their own staff or 2. They had a bunch of practice at this.

Approx 1 week later I returned to Grenada from Carriacou and still had my receipt. I stopped back in at the hotel and played the final game of "find the front desk person", this time I found her in less than 5 minutes - my skills must have improved over the week somehow. After the same game of trying to look over my receipt (again), trying to call the original front desk girl (again), and telling me to wait (again), I finally got a bit more firm with them and they finally gave me my $20 back - they tried to give me $20 EC (their money), so we played the game just a little while longer before they finally gave me back all my money.

I don't know what the deal is with this hotel, but they seem not to really be concerned about us tourists - unless it's getting into your pocket. If you're looking for a hotel with a non-concerned/and or hiding staff, with dingy walls and sheets, with triples, with unexpected surprises under your bed, and you want to try your luck at getting your deposit back then you have found your dream hotel!!

There are many other hotels on this island and from the people I met down there, they get treated better at the other hotels and the accomodations are nicer.

I wish I had more hands, so I could give this hotel 4 thumbs down.

• Stayed February 2006
17 Thank TrentFL
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. George's
6.3 km away
Maca Bana
Maca Bana
#1 of 8 in St. George's

Been to Tropicana Inn? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK