Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #1 of 62 Hotels in Samana Province
montreal canada
“Unbelievable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

This is a wonderful destination for those people who want a tranquil vacation, with no worries...uh, except the drive to and from the airport!!!! Hair-raising, trying to avoid kids, dogs, motorbikes, people, along the way....a five minute ferry ride brought us to this little piece of heaven!!! We were greeted at the dock by employees, one handing us clean face towels to mop our brows and hands, and others to take all our luggage...it was night-time, so we immediately went to eat, and then we went up to our room, and all the bags were placed neatly inside...What a spectacular room, overlooking the ocean, and cocktail terrace. Clean and airy, with a huge balcony.....the resort itself is immaculate, with luscious gardens, tennis courts, zen-type pool, plus beach pool, never crowded in either!!!! There are 2 beaches next to each other; one is windier and the waves are bigger, and just over a rise, no more than 50 yards, is the calmer beach with hardly any waves at all....you can snorkel there, and see a few fish! You never have to fight for a lounge chair or a towel, they are plentiful and clean! Most visitors are from Britain, Germany and South America, so it was a nice mix....the a la carte restaurants are first class, especially the Don Pablo Gourmet, but the Mediterrano and Portofino are pretty good too. Food is well presented and more 'nouvelle cuisine' than anything else...the evening entertainment was underwhelming, and really not worth watching, but they did try their best... the employees were always polite and friendly, and made us feel very welcome...anything we asked for, they were able to provide, as I said, no worries.....we will return as soon as we can, we love the place and would highly recommend it!!!

Room Tip: There are many villas dotted over the island, and they consist of 4 separate units, but if you have...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
9 Thank wbrit
, Manager at Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Dear guest Wbrit:

I would like to thank for writing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience at Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of Ms. Sigi de Gracia, Hotel Manager, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your holidays.
In Bahia Principe Hotels one of our guiding principles is to serve a unique gastronomy and we celebrate it has been an unbelievable experience for you!
We hope to welcome you soon, please contact us before your arrival,

With best regards,
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,298)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2012

Really this hotel delivered all and more than I expected after reading the reviews on TA. The whole holiday was a breeze with my husband actually saying he would like to stay a third week as he was so relaxed. I liked the laid back reception area with two small desks instead of the usual large impersonal area that greets you at other hotels.
I can't add much more than others have said on this site extolling the virtues of the hotel and staff.
Would I go back to this hotel again? Definitely yes.
However, sadly if the transfer is four hours I would not contemplate the journey and would give the hotel a miss. The outward journey was fine with a good coach and no mishaps and I looked on it as part of the holiday, viewing the country as we travelled. The homeward journey was much the same but as we had a three and a half hour journey after landing at Gatwick it just added to a very long day.
Do go and enjoy, don't take any notice of people complaining about the food etc this is a special place and it would be a shame to miss it.

4 Thank barbarabev
Dear guest barbarabev:

I would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Manager, Ms. Sigi de Garcia, we would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for you holidays.
We are very happy to read that you had a memorable stay. In Bahia Principe our main target is to ensure a memorable holiday to our guest. We are looking forward to welcome you back again. Please, do not hesitate to contact us for further assistance.
Sincerely yours,
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Im going to keep this short, as words can not desciribe how beautiful this experience was. For a couple that love eachother and want to truly experience a romantic getaway than this is the place to visit.

The staff were unforgettable, I have been to plenty of resorts but they were the most helpful and genuine, at your service 24/7.

If you plan to go, be sure to experience Zip Lining with Bart Dudley!!! As well as an amazing and thrilling experience, him particularly with his staff will be sure to keep you entertained and amused throughout the day. Just on the journey it self, you will gain lots of knowledge about the history of the Island and the local people. Great excursion!!! and Bart was an inspiring individual to meet.

2 Thank younglegend
Dear guest younglegend:

In the name of Bahia Principe Hotel Manager, Mrs. Sigi de Garcia, I would like to thank you for your loyalty when choosing a hotel for your holidays and for posting your experience.
In Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado we are committed to provide an excellent service through a high qualified team.
We hope to welcome you soon, please contact us before your arrival,
With best regards,
Brixham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2012

Where do I start? My husband booked this hotel and I was a little apprehensive to say the least, the reviews were a bit hit and miss and my husband is not one for lazing around, but he wanted to give me a special holiday for our Anniversary.
We went up to London a day before our flight and did the “day before check in” at the airport, which meant we were totally stress free the following morning. No queuing with heavy suitcases, we just sailed through security and relaxed in the airport lounge before our flight. (Highly recommended)
After a long flight, we arrived in Samana, a little tired to say the least, but after a very short boat trip to the hotel, we were greeted by smiling staff with cool flannels and a cocktail in the lobby, the duty manager gave us a little talk about the hotel and then it was off to our room.
WOW! What a room, it was stunning and very, very clean, much better than the photo’s which don’t do it justice at all. We have a super king size bed at home, but I would say our hotel bed was bigger. Our bathroom was also bigger than most UK hotel rooms!! We had a sea view overlooking the front of the hotel, with a huge balcony and a large Jacuzzi. “So romantic”! Lazing in the Jacuzzi, with a nice glass of bubbly.
The next morning, exploring the hotel and grounds/Island, re-enforced our belief that the long journey had been worth it.
To say the hotel is clean is an understatement. Staff were constantly cleaning and Ziggy, the manager, (not sure how to spell her name), kept a watchful eye on them at all times, ensuring that everything was done to perfection. The staff affectionately nicknamed her “mum” as she has a knack of knowing if any of them has a personal problem. Anytime Ziggy was not available, Indiana her equally proficient Assistant Manager, would be on hand to ensure the super smooth, running of the hotel.
If you did happen to have any problems at all, they were rectified immediately. Most places we have visited both in the UK and abroad, if you have a complaint it would be just brushed off or, it took another complaint in order to get it rectified but not here. They really do actually care about their guests.
The only negative I have is the language barrier, but is that our fault for travelling to a country and not even bothering to learn the basic language??? I would say yes, and before we visit again, we are going to do a crash course in Spanish.
I have read quite a few reviews about the food being boring, mediocre or poor! Well, we didn’t get bored of the food. So much choice and extremely fresh, even vegetarians were catered for! Although we are not vegetarians ourselves, having spoken to some fellow travellers who are, they also enjoyed the food. We did eat in the a la carte restaurants, Don Pablo I would say is the best but, we ate mainly in self service restaurant because there was so much choice. The waiters are not five* trained but again, they were very attentive and comical at times.
Although the hotel was full to capacity, you would not know, I excepted it to be overcrowded, but quite the contrary, what I also found interesting from other reviews is that some people have said that there was little to do, once there, we thought exactly the opposite, there was always something to do, mainly on the beach from volley ball, snorkelling, kayaking, there is also a small catamaran which you can take out for a nominal one off charge for an induction on how to sail it, speed boats, salsa lessons on the beach and much more, even bingo!!
For the more adventurous, there are excursions like horse riding to the waterfalls, which was so good we did it twice. The full day excursion on the catamaran was ok, but not worth $98 each.

I could go on and on but I have say to our holiday to GBP has been best our best holiday by far. We had both an adventurous and a romantic holiday and met some wonderful people, I am so pleased my husband chose this holiday, we are already looking to book for next year.
A very big thank you to all the staff, especially to the front of house management and the waiters Alexis, Hipolito, Walky, Juan, Virginia and Wendy, sorry but that I cannot remember everyone’s names.
If you book with Thomson/first choice, Jessica will be your rep during your stay. I shouldn’t really call her a rep as my experience of reps in the past is that they are usually unhelpful and are never at your resort when they say they will be. Jessica on the other hand is the complete opposite, she would be at the hotel 6 days a week, if you needed to speak with her on her day off, you had a phone number or a member of the hotel team would call her. If you required anything from the mainland, Jessica would offer to get it for you, which saved both your precious holiday time and your money visiting the mainland shops. I have to say she does an outstanding job, and she is a credit to her company. I only wish more holiday reps were like her.
Note: People with disability/mobility problems have no issues at this resort. The staff are always on hand to help, they also have golf buggy carts for everyone to use to get to and from beaches, villa’s and restaurants etc.
Should you require further information please feel free to contact me via my email address safetyservicesuk@aol.com

I cannot wait until we return in Feb 2013

Room Tip: Take US dollars, rather than DOP or sterling, email hotel directly for any requirements you may have...
5 Thank Dawn67-44
Dear guest Dawn67-44:

I would like to thank you for writing a review about your experience at the Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Hotel. In the name of the Hotel Manager, Ms. Sigi de Garcia, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards our hotel while choosing a place to enjoy your holidays.
It is a satisfaction for us to acknowledge that you had a wonderful visit to our hotel facilities thanks to the friendliness of our staff members and the variety of our gastronomy and beverages. In Bahia Principe those aspects are part of our main target, and we work hard to turn them into our strengths. We appreciate your nice words about Indiana our customer service manager, Alexis, Hipolito ,Walky, Juan, Virginia and Wendy, we have shared your comments with them.
We are looking forward to welcome you next time, please contact us before your arrival.
Sincerely yours,
Lindsay, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

We returned Saturday night from another wonderful stay at GBPCL June 9 - 16. The flight home with Westjet is one of the best we've had. The staff kept us in stitches the whole flight - a great end to our vacation.

I don't want to repeat recent or my previous reviews but will touch on the points that have been raised in the recent forums.

I have posted two other reviews for Tour Samana with Terry and Bacardi Island - both great experiences.

Check in was a breeze with the packages on the bus and Frantz at the front desk.

Dinner Saturday evening and breakfast on Sunday we experienced poor service in the buffet. I spoke with Aridenis who assured us that he would attend to us himself. Due to a large turnover weekend, staff/guest ratio appeared to be low. Sunday lunch staffing was once again to the standard we remembered. Staff service from that point onwards was excellent.

Food: how anyone can complain about the quality of the food is beyond me. They have to be just too picky from our humble opinion. This topic was discussed at length between guests and everyone we spoke with agreed. While the food has always been top notch, the chef 'Jimmy' has taken the menu items and made some subtle changes that made a huge difference. i.e. Prince & Princess on the sampler menu (Don Pablo) - used to be on skewers and is now two seperate items on the plate, the apple, citrus, rosemary & fig in the duck dish are such a great combination. We gained weight on this trip so obviously variety and quality of food was not an issue.

Room: we were in villa 7104 this time (at our request) and loved the quiet beauty. The view from our balcony was great - we have not had a bad room yet. The maid was in usually by noon doing a bang up job. The mini bar was always fully stocked and we lacked for nothing. Evening turn down service supplied fresh towels, choolates and a quick tidy up.

Beaches: we love the windy part of the beach so settled there the most part of everyday except the day spent touring with Terry. The beaches are always clean, beach bar service always quick and always plenty of lounges at the beach and the pools. I'm always up and at the beach by 630 and was often alone until 8 when others would put their towels on the loungers and go for breakfast. Most but not all, usually returned after breakfast but it was a toss up some days to see if anyone ever did come back.

We noticed a huge errosion to the left of the windy beach from when we visited last June. I hope this isn't an ongoing problem.

Snorkeling: While not the quality of other destinations, we were happy with snorkeling around the island. The rocky area between the windy and quiet beaches as well as the island off the quiet beach had a large variety of fish, new periwinkle coral, fan coral etc as well as many huge starfish. The sea grass was not thick as there hasn't been a lot of rain to bring nitrogen to the water so visibility was good most days.

Privilege Club: as other reviewers have noted, the white wristbands are a magnet to the agents in the lobby. We told different agents numerous times we were not interested. Some were rude and some were very pushy - there were alot of 'prices' given which were then slashed by 50% but new numbers kept popping up. Never a clear answer for the bottom line and we didn't stick around long enough to let them find one for us. Cayo Levantado cannot offer more than it already does i.e. private beach/pool so for this and many other reasons this is not something we are interested in.

People who made our holiday: First, I would like to send a big shout out to Indiana. She spent time on several occasions chatting with us and answering questions about the resort and the Samana area. She is fabulous at her job and obviously loves what she does. Indiana is the one who receives our emails to info and customer service. She also checks TA and takes the concerns/praise to the staff concerned. Thanks Indiana for adding so much to our visit.

Jose L Rodrigues - you are a true gentleman and an asset to GBPCL. Aridenis - thank you for your kind service and attention. Cesar Lopez - your attention to detail made dining a pleasure. Jimmy (&Carlos) - aka chef - the changes to the menu are very tasty and presentation is lovely. Walkey, Sony, Virginia, Luis, Victoria - your service at the bar (esp Lobby bar) is excellent - perhaps a little too excellent LOL..... Ernesto, Victor, Joel, Pedro, Willy, Alexis, Hugo and many more - your service is much appreciated.

We did not do any of the daily activities nor stay for the evening entertainment so I cannot comment on these although the animation team were friendly and helpful for any questions we had.

Two weddings while we were there. First was a group of about 20 from the UK - awesome wedding. The second consisted of the bride and groom only - a bunch of us mom's watching teared up seeing them alone - also a beautiful wedding. The glitches we noticed last year are gone and the decorations/flowers were beautiful

I had not intended to go on this long, sorry folks. If you have any questions on things I did not cover, please feel free to PM me. We will be going back to the island for another visit, hopefully this fall.

Room Tip: check out the map of the resort before booking to judge how much walking you want to do to get aroun...
7 Thank DebLindsay
106.1 km away
The Reserve at Paradisus Palma Real
2.0 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#3 of 62 in Samana Province

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK