“The Best of the Best Resorts - Cayo Levantado” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection

Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection
Ranked #1 of 60 Hotels in Samana Province
Toronto
“The Best of the Best Resorts - Cayo Levantado”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Where do I begin? First of all, the people who gave this resort a 5 out of 5 rating were bang on - the Cayo Levantado was the nicest resort we have ever stayed at. We have been to many Bahia Principe's in the past in Mexico and others in the Dominican Republic and this is by far the best. We loved it because it was much smaller and on an island. The resort is beautifully kept, the gardens, the decor, everything was just perfect. The staff was very friendly and accommodating and always had a smile and an hola!!! Coming from Toronto it is only a 4 hour flight directly into Samana and then only a 1 hour bus ride and a 10 minute ferry ride to the island. It sometimes takes us longer to drive to our cottage than it took us to get to the Cayo Levantado.

We are not early risers and we were always able to get a beach or pool lounger with an umbrella and towels without any problem at all - I loved this!!!! All the a la carte restaurants were fantastic, but the Don Pablo staff really outdid themselves on our last night there. We were treated like royalty as it was my 50th Birthday, they had sprinkled rose petals on the table, gave us a bottle of champaign and then at the end of dinner brought out a heart shaped birthday cake with a candle. We had originally booked a regular standard room as this is all we could get through WestJet Vacations for the dates we wanted to travel, but emailed the resort a couple weeks prior to our trip to request a very specific room upgrade to a Junior Suite Superior in Villa 2 and when we arrived we were given the exact room we requested. All the rooms in Villa #2 had a great view of the ocean.

The food was good and I am a very picky eater, but I always found something to eat. We also did the Zip Lining Tour in Samana - What a day - I jumped off a 400 ft. cliff.....not too bad for someone who is teriffied of heights. Thanks for the encouragement Bart (the guy that actually built the "Walk the Plank" Zip Line in Samana) and Bart's parents (who just happened to be on the same tour as us) - you really helped me get over my fear and scratch one off of my bucket list.

I could go on and on, but really you need to experience this resort first hand - read all the great reviews and book this for your next vacation. I would say it is a great place for couples of all ages to reconnect, recharge your batteries and relax - I was a true slice of heaven.

Room Tip: Ask for any room in Villa #2 - great view of ocean from all rooms. Bring a flashlight - some of the...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
6 Thank bafer2
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,338)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2012

Our yearly Winter getaway brought us to Samanà. We had never heard of it before but that's probably because most of this part of the country only got electricity 6 months ago. With the mountains all around it felt like no place we'd ever been before, the trip from the airport was fairly painless as our guide was grateful to stop and get us our first cervesa. Thanks Herman! Then a short boat ride to the island paradise. Once there we were greated with a cocktail, always a nice touch.

I met Victor, the manager on the first day, saw him all week and he was always working hard and keeping the place in good order, you could just tell. But never to busy to stop, say hello and ask how we were enjoying ourselves.

The staff was fantastic and attentive, Luis behind the main lobby bar was our favourite, always running and still smiling. Something I don't understand though.. "why don't they mix the drinks at the bar instead of running to the back" something they'll figure out one day I hope, I have seen this done before at other resorts, doesn't make much sense to me.

The room we got was in villa 7, a little ways away from most of the amenities but the peaceful quiet jungle and ocean view was superb. We enjoyed the walk, and when we needed they would pick us up. It was also very clean and well attended to. The fridge was always full and every time we needed something it was there for us.

The private beach was small but there was alway beach chairs and we even had a beautiful cabana to enjoy a nice afternoon nap while it rained one day. Unfortunately it did rain on us more than that though...

The food was repetitive but always lots of local fruit, and many different freshly made options. The breakfast was always our favourite. We only ate at one a la carte the Portofino Italian restaurant and it was ok, we both liked the caprese salad to start, I really enjoyed the lamb but Robin wasn't fond of the beef paired with a lemon sauce. Eww she says while I write this. We may have missed out on some of the other a la cartes, but napped late one afternoon, and opted for the Mexican on our last night there, which we both enjoyed. We always tipped the service staff at breakfast, lunch and dinner, but to be honest were not sure that it mattered, the service seldom seemed as attentive as we would have liked, but not horrible though.

We did two excursions

Our first was on Thursday we did "walk the plank Zip lining" it was awesome and we both highly recommend it. Bart from Idaho toured us through and up the mountainside telling us stories all the way. We went down countless runs spinning forward and backwards, upside down and even went on a line together! Pretty amazing!! Waterfalls, beaches, and local food, and local people, it was the perfect sunny day!
On Friday with our new family we met at our resort we went horseback riding to El Limon, which was a little chaotic and not very organized, but quite an experience none the less. The rubber boots are a must and were glad to have had them. It did pour rain most of the way back on the horse but we enjoyed it anyway. They served us traditional Dominican food and it was awesome! The guides were great as well taking our camera and getting some pictures of us that were priceless!

This resort is small and very friendly and we met lots of fantastic people and would definitely go back again!

• Stayed April 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank JoeMcMahon77
Kentville, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

Just back from a week April 12-19 at this lush secluded resort. The resort is well kept, extremely beautiful property and offers lots of beach and pool choices. My wife and I normally would stay at an adults only resort but the beauty of the Levantado Public Beach photo intrigued me enough to book here and we were not disappointed. Oddly enough we spent most of our time on the resorts private "quiet" beach which was great for swimming and snorkelling as well as relaxing with a good book and cold drink. The resort also has a "wavy" beach which is quiet just more windy thus wavy waters. This resort did not WOW me the way Excellence Punta Cana did, but it just quietly won me over by its many attractions, staff and food. I do recommend this resort for a quiet relaxing vacation. It is a compact resort and we never had an issue getting a nice spot at a pool or the beach. No fighting for towells (bring your own floatie) and the island setting creates a special feeling vacation community for all to share and enjoy. I booked Air Canada Vactions and we landed in El Catey Airport Samana. The bus ride was not bad at just a little over an hour with a good view of the local topography. American/Europeans had longer drives as they land in Puerto Plata but those I spoke to said it was worth the 3 hour drive and they tended to stay for 2 weeks. We stayed in the main complex and our room 414 was huge(very) and the maid service was outstanding. We had a tree top view that was great. That being said if you looked down from the balcony all you saw was the service/kitchen roofs. If you overlooked this, the room was outstanding, if you need to see the Ocean make sure you specify this in your booking. I would suggest to Management that they ask their staff to keep noise/conversations at a low volume level in this area due to its location to rooms. We did not try Room Service and the menu was not huge but if you needed food it was available 24/7. Speaking of food, we ate at all 3 a la cartes, the beach buffet and the main dining room buffet. Not once were we disappointed in quality, selection, freshness or taste. In short the food was outstanding and I have nothing but praise for the attention to detail on making sure meal times were a delight. The entertainment could use a little more work but I give them an 'A' for effort. In short this is a handy resort for some nice excursions, lots of water activities and just plain realxing on the beach. Thanks Karen our server and Luis R the pool bartender who could always make me laugh trying to interpret my drink order and refilling my Bubba Mug with fresh cerveza.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank telephoneguyin902
Saint Catharines, Ontario, Canada

What an incredible trip.
Awesome resort, incredible staff, wonderful food.
All of our wants and needs were taken care of almost instantly.
We were upgraded to an incredible 2 room suite mid way through our stay as a result of a minor glitch with our initial room booking.
The beaches were wonderful and the pools were well maintained and never overly busy.

Would recommend to anyone who wants a vacation that is relaxing with little to distract them.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Dartmouth, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

My husband and I along with another couple just returned from this resort, this place is truly unspoiled natural beauty. I felt like something about the surrounding caught my eye everyday.
We have been to many resorts, mostly Punta Cana, this was the best so far. No line ups, no fighting for chairs at the beach or the pool. So many options that you did not have to reserve at 6:00 a.m. to enjoy. There we times when we felt like we were the only ones on the beach (windy beach) so relaxing. It's quite something to see mountains while sitting on the beach. We booked a Jr. Suite Deluxe, and it was amazing (villa 19 room 101) Felt like a queen for a week. Always a nice breeze on our deck to enjoy a couple of hours after the heat of the beach or pool, then get ready for dinner. Buffet was better than most, a la cartes - top notch, service and presentation were out of this world. I had a manicure at the spa - Gabriela took care of me, she had very little english I had less spanish but we did just fine. I had a french manicure and it was better than the one I had here at home. She is a professional. My husband and our freind went Zip-lining using "Walk-the-Plank", this was an amazing experience for them. Not only was the zip-lining awesome, but the guide/owner Bart was very informative about Samana and it's people and culture. Bart is from the states, bringing northamerican safety standards to his business. It is also nice that he employs all locals and is helping contribute to the local economy. I would recommend this resort and "Walk-the-Plank" Zip-lining tour. Wonderful staff, beautiful setting.

Room Tip: Villa 19 - room 101 - up high, view of the bay, cool breeze, very private.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
102.3 km away
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
2.0 km away
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don Pablo Collection
Luxury Bahia Principe Samana Don...
#3 of 60 in Samana Province

Been to Luxury Bahia Principe Cayo Levantado Don Pablo Collection? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK