10,683 results
All reviewsbarcelo premiumgabriel chocolatejulio iglesiasquiet poolswim up barrock climbing wallrenovated roomocean viewthe mexican restaurantkids poola la carte restaurantsbeautiful beachseafoodgreat vacationpalm treespicky eaterfamily vacation
Reviewed 6 June 2012

I'd like to say first to everyone saying this place is horrible, look at the price you paid for it. This is one of the least expensive resorts in punta cana so don't come here expecting a 5 star resort because that would cost $2,000 a person

The Beach - the beach is amazing, there is plenty of chairs and space on the beach. The water was crystal clear and was always fun to swim in because of the waves. My girlfriend and I found that if you want to relax go to the far end of the resort (closes to the Hard rock) and there was nobody on this end of the beach so we just dragged chairs down to the water and relaxed there. This side of the beach also seemed to have the most clean water (right outside the swimming area we went) there was no seaweed here and you could see to the ocean floor a good 20 feet out.

The pool- I like being at the beach better but the pool was a nice change of scenario during the afternoons. The pool was for the most part clean and never to crowded. The entertainment staff also did a great job, i participated in the iron man challenge which was a lot of fun. They also have bikini contests which was entertaining

The food- The specialty restaurants were amazing, we ate there 4 times during our week visit and the food was excellent at each one. The grill by the pool is also a decent place to get a snack during the day. My favorite was the pizza place on top of the buffet, the pizza there was amazing (especially the bbq chicken). the buffets were pretty bad, the only thing i found at the buffets that i liked were the chicken wings, everything else had a weird taste to it. My girlfriend and I both hard bad stomach problems around day 3 throughout the rest of our vacation from the food. I would recommend bringing medication to help deal with this because it seemed everyone we talked to had the same issue

The rooms- The rooms were excellent, we were first placed in building 2 but when we walked in the mini bar wasn't stocked, the radio didn't work, and there were bugs on the counters. We went down stairs and requested a different room and we were changed to building 3 right away which was a perfect room with an amazing view. The only complaints i have with the rooms is they do not give you enough bath towels (we requested extra and ended up getting them) and the bathroom floor becomes very slippery because the shower lets all the water out. I fell one night (may have been a little drunk too) and ended up with a pretty nasty cut that got infected.

The Drinks- I was pretty disappointed with the drinks. Its all you can drink but the premium brands you have to pay extra for. When we stayed at other resorts you could just tip the bartender to get premium drinks but non of the bartenders would allow it here. The best liquor there was the absolute vodka which you need to request. The frozen drinks were different at every bar you went to, sometimes you'd get a frozen drink other times you'd get a warm liquid mixture of the drink. I stuck to rum and coke, vodka and lemonade, and beer and was happy with those drinks. I would recommend bringing $1 for tipping, we brought about $100 in singles to tip and spent it all by the time we left. The staff really appreciated the tips and they remembered you for it.

My biggest complaint about the resort would be the locals who stay here on friday, saturday, and sunday. I don't want to generalize because there were some locals that were very nice to us, but for the most part they dirtied the resort and were rude. They would leave their garbage all over they beach, throw their drinks (plastic cup and all) into the ocean, discard of their cigarette butts in the pool. Once they left on Sunday the resort stayed clean and was much more enjoyable.
My other complaint would be the inability to communicate with most of the staff. I understand it is a Spanish speaking country but the bartenders and waiters hardly spoke any English. When we had visited Mexico and Jamaica most of the staff knew a good amount of english. I would try to explain a drink i wanted and they would make something completely different. They also seemed to cater the the spanish speaking guests a lot more than the enlgish speaking.

We enjoyed our vacation here, it was the right price and we had an excellent time. The resort had more bars and restaurants than any other resort we stayed at before but i don't think we'd go back. I's not because of the resort we wouldnt go back, but rather because of the country. Mexico and Jamaica were much more enjoyable; better culture, friendlier people, and a lot better entertainment and shopping outside the resort. If you want to go to Punta Cana and want an affordable trip i would recommend this resort, but if you can spend more money on the vacation you may want to look elsewhere.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KevinMcD324
Reviewed 6 June 2012

There are lot better hotels for less money. Elevators not working, air conditioner does not work well, tv has the volume controlled. With the WIFI you have to be extremely patient, I paid $27.00 for 3 days and every time I needed I have to seat
by the balcony in order to get 2 bars. On most of the places simply doesn' work. The reasturant reservations sucks! You have to be at the consierge by 9AM to try to make a reservation to a restaurant that you want. I was the second in line and when I asked for a reservation for the Japanese restaurant all they had was for after 9:30PM. They explained me that when you check in, they make you a complimentary reservation to one of the restaurants and those late reservations are whats left. The buffet is not all that great. If you dont mind smoke, is fine, since they allow smoke on most places. One positive thing was the view from the room, was looking towards the pool. I had stayed prior on another Barcelo hotel here in Punta Cana and was a lot better. When I come back to the Dominican Republic I will stay at a different hotel.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jvazquez53
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This hotel offers a nice beach and the rooms are acceptable but when it comes to eat it is a mess. On my first day I here I wanted to eat at a restaurant and they told me that restaurants are by reservation only and they are per-assign to you. Althout they let you change your assign restaurant depending on availability it is a nightmare to deal with the reservation people. Also the fist day they don't give you a restaurant and even if you ask for it they won't give it to you, so you will have to eat at the buffet witch is horrible and very bad food. Once you make it to eat on a restaurant what they serve you is so little that you will stil hungry and they won't offer you another plate. Another horrible think is your arrival and check in. They ask you to leave your back at the entrance do that you can check in. The thing is that it takes forever for them to bring your back to your room because ussuly when you want to check in the rooms are not ready. Very important if you are planning on using wifi they offer it to you for 12 dollars but it almost never works and when it does is just for an amount of seconds. If you hear you can drink all drink and that they are all included don't believe that, there are tons on drinks that you have to pay for it as well as if you are interested in eating lobster they will charge you 35 dollars. I know there are a lot of better places on this same are, I suggest you do a research before making a final decision.

• Stayed: June 2012
3  Thank Alexcub21
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I just came back from a wedding there and the hotel went above and beyond to accommodate our group of around 47ppl. We had a fantastic time! You must get reservations at the Japanese restaurant, as it was fantastic!!!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 June 2012

We stayed at the Barcelo Punta Cana from May 18-25, 2012 to attaend my nieces wedding. The hotel is laid out perfectly parallel to the beach giving it a very wide beach frontage and the rooms etc. are all close to the beach. We had Delux Oceanview Rooms and they were so close to the ocean you could hear the waves rolling in from your bed, so the upgrade is really worth it.
The beach is absolutely perfect in every way. The A La Carte Restaurants were all excellent with great service. We took in The Japanese, Italian, and French ones and found them all very good.The only thing I thought that could use some improvement, was the choices in meat dishes at the buffet restaurant at dinner. The pizza restaurant at lunch, next to the party pool was great also. We also had a great buffet during the wedding reception with many great choices of salads, meats, fish, chicken, veggies, breads, desserts.etc. I would definitely go back to this hotel. I have also stayed at The Barcelo Premium in Riviera Maya, Mexico and this hotel chain never fails to impress me. The evening entertainment was pretty much the usual, but the best was the Michael Jackson Show. There aren't very many shops on the property, but there is a large flea market close by. You really have to use your negotiating skills, because they start with really high prices. For example my niece bought a dress that started out at $130 US, and she got it for $40. Buyer beware. Same thing for the temporary vendors that visit the hotel and set up tables near the lobby and bar area. They were asking for $40 each for T shirts, and I ended up getting 3 for $40.
The check in and out went very smoothly. No problems at all.
All and all, our large group of 46 had a great time at this resort and I would recommend it to anyone. It is also great for kids, with a great water park, trampoline, trapeze, kids club, kid friendly pools with beach like entry areas. The room was great also. I had a king size bed that was very very comfortable and the room was moden, very clean and well equiped. No fault found here. The casino was fun. I am not a gambler, but spent $5, and came out with $40. They have 5 cent, and 25 cent slots for people like me who don't want to throw a lot of money away, but still want to try their luck.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family