New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #8 of 110 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersSilver level
“privacy and exclusivity”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012

We just got back from a 5 day trip to Tortuga Bay. My husband and I traveled with our 22 year old daughter and 25 year old son. Tortuga Bay is the ultimate vacation for a traveler who values privacy and exclusivity. My dream vacation is to be right on the beach in a beautiful room just steps from the ocean. We stayed in a 2 bedroom villa, which means that we had almost 3000 square feet with a huge living room, 2 bedrooms and 2 marble bathrooms with separate tubs and showers. It felt very much like we were in our own private home on the beach. You walk out onto a beautiful green lawn down to the beach. The adjoining villas were at least 50 feet away, so it all felt very private. The grounds are impeccably maintained. So the accommodations were the best I have ever stayed in. The reason I rated the sleep quality as poor is because the mattresses are very hard, and I like a soft mattress. One thing I noticed is that every building there looked like it was freshly painted yesterday. The whole place was spotless.
As to service- everyone from the staff at the restaurant to the front desk to our personal "villa manager" was friendly and helpful. One thing I really appreciated was that our villa manager, Victor, was very helpful, but he also seemed to sense that we loved our privacy and were pretty self-sufficient. Therefore, although he was always there if needed, he faded into the background and was unobtrusive. I felt this showed sensitivity on his part to our particular needs and desires, and was commendable.
We found out after we were there a couple of days that if you want to give an extra tip to the staff, they prefer that you give them cash, because if you add an extra tip to the check at the restaurant, for instance, that amount is distributed to the whole staff rather than going to the individual. They are very happy to accept American dollars, and even a couple of dollars is appreciated. The service was always so good that we wanted to express our appreciation with an extra tip.
We tried La Yola, Playa Blanca, and Bamboo restaurants while there. All were good, but we felt that Bamboo was the best, and the location was so convenient that we ate most of our meals there. Francisco and Victor at Bamboo were great.
As everyone has stated, the service at the airport was amazing. The spa was top notch, and my husband and son said the golf is outstanding.
I would like to recommend the Segway tour if you are planning to go to Tortuga Bay. We found it to be a lot of fun to ride the Segways, but it was also a nice nature tour. The best part was going in the Ecological Preserve. Make sure you go to the preserve while you are at Tortuga Bay and go all the way on the trail to the back, where there is a spring fed pool that is 24 feet deep and has a diving platform. I had more fun diving into the crystal clear waters and swimming - I went back 3 times!
If there is any negative at all, it would be that although the water and beach are very pretty, I have been to a couple of places in the Caribbean with nicer water (no seaweed). But it really didn't bother me at all, and the beauty of Tortuga Bay far outweighed this small thing.
This was a long review, but I wanted to give specific tips.
If you want to feel like a multimillionaire for a few days, go to Tortuga Bay!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank MamaCarlon
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Carlon,

On behalf of the Tortuga bay family and myself .

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to let us know your comments about your recent stay at our Tortuga Bay Hotel. As we are deeply committed to achieving our guest’s total satisfaction, your opinion is very important to us.

I am delighted to read that your expectations were met or exceeded and that you will return to us when you next visit at Tortuga Bay. Your feedback is invaluable and much appreciated, as it enables us to constantly monitor and improve the care and service we provide to our guests.

Once more, thank you for your comments. We hope to be able to welcome you again to our Tortuga Bay hotel, and give you a “Leading” Experience.

Tel 809- 959-2262 ext 7220
vcalcerano@puntacana.com
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

It was our first vacation with the baby, went with my parents and shared a 2 bedroom villa right on the beach. It surpassed all our expectations. The service was top notch (all except one time we needed a ride from the golf club and we waited an hour, otherwise we never waited more than 10minutes for the complimentary shuttle), food very good (they accommodated all requests with regard to hold the salt, light oil etc), accommodations very nice. There was no question the villa manager or front office couldn't answer for me. Even provided baby bottle cleaning items. Only complaint would be the small roaches in the kitchenette, but as soon as we mentioned, they sprayed the next day and that helped a lot. My husband loved the golf, play every day and had no problems getting tee time. We will definitely be back.

Room Tip: ocean front worth every penny, you stroll 50 steps to the beach.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank Kaye H
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Dear Mr. / Mrs. Haye,

On behalf of team members & myself , thank you for taking the time to complete our guest comment form on your recent stay at Tortuga Bay.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tortuga Bay in the future, and give you a “ for one – of a kind Leading Experience’’.

Vincenzo Calcerano
General Manager Hotel TORTUGA BAY.
Tortuga Bay, Puntacana Resort & Club
Tel (8090 959-8229 ext 7220
Cel.(829) 797-1121
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

We had our wedding at the Tortuga Bay Club House it was amazing and the service was incredible! Ms.Bianelkys weddig coordinator helped our dream wedding come true thank you sooo much! As far as our stay at the Tortuga Bay we stayed at villa 620 Jr Honeymoon suite which was amazing the beach was our backyard! and the service was incredible also staff was super nice Ms.Giselle & Karin thank you so much for everything you exceeded our expectations. This is not an all inclusive but the prices for food were decent and food was good,it was the best vacation by far and I will be coming back hopefully with my entire family! Thank You Tortuga Bay Family!

Room Tip: The room was excellent no complaints.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Dear Mrs. Diana,

On behalf of the Tortuga bay family.

Tel 959-2262 ext 7220
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012 via mobile

Well, there are not too many negative things said on here about TB and I don't necessarily want to repeat the great points about this place, but I will :)
It is unlikely you will be disappointed going here. The staff is incredibly friendly, genuine and seemingly very proud to work at such a great place. Our villa manager, Yanidel, was wonderful. Her warm smile and calming manner added to our experience. The restaurant service staff was always personable and engaging every morning we came to breakfast (which was always delicious. It's not everyday, back in the real world, where I could eat as much fresh papaya as I wanted every morning.)
The grounds are exquisitely manicured. An amazing variety of palm tree types are everywhere. They must have spent quite a bit of money on these when they created the place 6 or so years ago. The orchids creatively placed on some of the palm trunks are a nice touch.
Driving around on the golf carts or walking the grounds was a big add to the experience since it was so beautiful. Be sure and ask for one of the newer, electric cart since the gas ones are louder and have fumes.
Our extended family (17 of us) went here and we had 3 villas simultaneously. We had the staff arrange a barbecue one evening on the deck of one villa and it was great. Two of our villas were right on the beach with incredible views and a huge lawn for the kids to play on. The rooms were large and decorated well. The main living area had plenty of space and places to leave stuff around which tends to happen on trips. I forgot to mention to the staff that my in-room safe in 6181 smelled like old fruit but hopefully they read this and rectify.
One drawback to the experience was the somewhat lack of dining establishments. The food was good, varied and of good quality, but a place such as this should have a higher level of a restaurant available. The ability to go to the other restaurants in the larger Punta Cana resort complex was good but none of them truly matched the luxury of the Tortuga Bay atmosphere.
We had 8 kids with us, all under 11. They had a great time with each other and there were surprisingly many other couples with kids. Jeez, I could go on!
Anyway, in short...Highly Recommended.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank John B
Dear Mr. / Mrs. John,

On behalf of the Tortuga bay family.

Tel 809 959-2262 ext 7220
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012 via mobile

We are just concluding a 10 day visit to Tortuga Bay, and we find ourselves looking forward to returning some time soon. For perspective, we are a family of four, with two daughters who are 8 & 9. We stayed in villa #615, which was HUGE, and right on the beach. We are a family who compares everything to Four Seasons, and this villa easily met those standards. We were told ours was one of four that were this large, but I suspect we would have been equally happy in one of the smaller units.
While we have stayed in nicer overall hotels, we felt this deserved 5 stars given the fact we were in the Dominican Republic, and not the South of France. This is as good as you will find in the DR, and just about anywhere we have been in the Caribbean. The property is extremely well maintained, it's well laid out and spacious, and the staff goes out of there way to be pleasant and helpful. We would give the staff a rating of 6 if such a rating existed.
The beach is very well groomed with nice sand and plenty of comfortable seating. You don't need to worry about running down in the morning to reserve chairs...there is plenty, even at peak capacity. The golf courses looked fantastic, and the tennis facility as well. We used neither, but regret not doing so. We had great massages at the spa, and they even had specials for the girls, which they absolutely loved. Our girls loved riding the bikes they provide upon arrival, and they were safe exploring on their own without needing us to be with them. This provided some much needed alone time for mom and dad. The girls really loved the equestrian center, and took several riding lessons while they were here. The facility is well maintained, as were the horses. The instructor, Reuben, speaks no English, but is extemely patient and competent We will likely schedule daily lessons next trip given the quality of the experience and affordability. Worthy of note is the VIP service at the airport, which cannot be understated. You get off the plane, and someone is waiting for you on the Tarmac to ease you thru customs. It's saves a huge amount of time and headache, and is a really nice way to start the vacation. It's complimentary only for Tortuga Bay guests.
As with any vacation spot, there are seem short-comings. None of which we would consider major problems, but worth noting for the purpose of a quality review. First, we had a queen bed in the master suite. They said they have plans to upgrade them to kings, but the beds seems little small relative to the size of the rooms. We also had a crying baby upstairs, which we could hear very clearly. I would be certain to ask for a family with children above you, and have them remove the complimentary slippers they leave in the rooms. They sound like sand paper as people walk upstairs, and it's very annoying to hear early in the morning. You could request the upstairs units if you only need a single room, and not worry about this issue.
Overall, we leave feeling like we got our money's worth from our time here. The weather was good, the food was good, the facility and service was great. We would highly recommend for couples or families.

Stayed May 2011
14 Thank Jcwgolf1967
vcalcerano, General Manager at Tortuga Bay Hotel Puntacana Resort & Club, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
Dear Sir,

Vincenzo Calcerano
General Manager Hotel TORTUGA BAY.
Tortuga Bay, Puntacana Resort & Club