“really nice”

Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Ranked #18 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Stayed at this hotel 6/8-13/ 2012. My friend and I went for her birthday. It was a wonderful experience. The staff is really friendly. Pros: 1) many restaurants to choose from, 2) a really loooong pool with a swim up bar at the end; 3) nightly entertainment; 4) unlimited everything
Cons: 1) First day the bathroom sink was clogged, but it was resolved by the end of the night; 2) toilet doesn't flush too well; 3) food at the Italian restaurant was not great; 4) ( my own personal dilemma) there was pork in most of the dishes; 5) the pool is only 3 feet deep but the beach isn't far away; 6) the location is a bit out there, it isn't near punta cana. Also as an FYI, shop around for excursions. Don't just go right up to the excursion tables because they are pretty pricey. Raul at the beach gave us a better deal on the buggy excursion, which was really really fun.
This is a great hotel. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: all rooms have a balcony. the suites have outdoor hot tubs
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Reviewed 25 July 2012

In May 2012 my daughter and I booked our dream vacation with Sunwing to Dreams Resort and Spa in Punta Cana Dominican Republic. The resort was absolutely gorgeous, clean, well maintained, food amazing. LOVED IT. Our trouble was with Sunwing we booked our vacation with them including the flight. I left my blackberry on the plane which we were told on our flight home had been found it and returned it to ground control, it has never been returned and they will not help in any way locate it,that even though their employee found it they accept no responsibility, their customer service is rude and useless, don't book with them!!!

Room Tip: Building 5 was ideal, quiet and near the front where the lobby is and the World Cafe.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Jan C
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I came with my husband and 1 year old for a week vacation.
I wasnt expecting to be dancing and dineing all night since I have a one year old, but I was extremely disappointed by the lack of air conditioning in the restaurants. The main buffet room must have been 90 degrees everyday! I showered each time after I ate, since I was always sweating. I understand I am in the carribean in the summer, but I didnt expect for no air conditioning inside the restaurants! my little one was uncomfortable and sometimes didnt eat.
I heard from other parents that their young children were not eating well and fussy with the hot dining rooms. I learned from one of the waiters that the ac had been broken all month! I found it strange that the air conditioning was selectively broken! Meaning....it worked in the spa, it worked in the gift shops, but buffet room...no? They are all connected! If I had known about the lack of a/c in the food areas as well as the preferred club room etc. I would have chosen elsewhere. A baby doesnt eat well in 90 percent humidity and heat! Management needs to fix this issue!

Pool: wonderful! fun! Always chairs available and towels. Its a long pool so you will always find a spot up front or under the shade.
Entertainment: Some of the best!
Rooms: Dated and need renovation, but cleaners did a great job replacing towels, etc.
Spa services: not sure, the prices I thought were high. $100 for a massage? I pay less where I am from as well as the other services...if the massage was $50 I might have done it.
Also I didnt come to the resort for pamering, just a family trip.

For some reviewers who mentioned beds not getting changed...well they have a card located in the shower that states if you would like your linens changed to place the card ont he bed, otherwise they ae convercing energy and environment by not changin sheets everyday! FYI, I dont change my sheets everyday at home, so no need on vacation either.But A/C worked in the rooms and can get very cold! I spent lots more time in room with baby, while he was sleeping so this is a plus....if only room service food was as good as the retaurants my little one would have eaten more.

Bugs: I didnt see any at all, and I had prepared myself with bug spray etc.
Family Fun: They do a wonderful job keeping the kids 3 and over, especially teens occupied and having a great time! Best feature is the explorer club that watches the kids all day and they have a great time with planty of activities that I wish I could have done too.
Food: Restaurants were wonderful, buffet is what buffet food is...sometimes good, sometimes great.
room service food: not for me, I couldnt eat it.
Fruits: they were the freshest and best!
Beach: waves and seaweed, but section is roped off and cleaned for bathing...beach is beautiful and lots of breeze! Also they work hard at getting rid of the seaweed each day!
Staff: They are hardworking and great. Even though Dreams says we dont have to tip, its appeaciated by the staff as they dont earn much. A few dollars here and there are well worth it and I always tip for great service.

Overall: if you are looking for 5 star and a place without kids go elsewhere....if you are ok with averge and your kids having a great time, then this is the place! I have been to 3 other resorts and this one does the best with keeping the kids entertained. Food is good and great at some of the retuarants...but rooms were not as in the pictures

Room Tip: Dont get 3rd floor unless you like to walk up stairs...with children and strollers it is difficult.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank AMK508
Reviewed 25 July 2012

I stayed at Dreams Punta Cana for my good friends' wedding for 2 weeks in July 2012. Let me tell you, if you are planning to go for a nice vacation, don't even consider this place!
After 3 days of staying there, I noticed few red bumps of my wrists and I started itching. To make a long story short, we found bed bugs in our bed at 3 in the morning. My boyfriend and I called the front desk and somebody was sent to our room immediately. We expected to move to another room that is similar or better room. Two staff members showed up after 15 min or so, and one had bug spray in his hand and a broom in the other person's hand. A guy just killed a bed bug and he said he will spray our room. We were obviously unimpressed and called the front desk again and explained the whole situation again, but the front desk staff didn't seem to understand why the hotel has to move us to another room because it's "just bedbugs". After my boyfriend talked to them for 30 min, we finally got a new room. The new room was on a great location in front of the pool and closer to the beach, but the air conditioning wasn't working properly, nor the fan. A clock was not working even though it was plugged in and a hairdryer was broken as well. We got free laundry after all (talking to a staff member for 20 min and took much convincing too) and such, but the way they dealt the bed bug was just unprofessional. Everyone in hotel business should know the significance of having such a terrible problem, and the resort is not the cheapest place to stay in Punta Cana either. Hallway was dirty with empty dishes and glasses everyday, food wasn't that amazing (other than Teppanyaki Japanese-Chinese restaurant, you need a reservation, but it's totally worth it), entertainment team was very grabby on the beach or poolside to force people to do some activities and the majority of the show wasn't that great either. The beach was fairy disappointing with lots of seaweeds and not very inviting to swim in. The pool was not bad, but my friend and I got stabbed by a sharp metal string while we were in the pool. I felt very questionable about the cleaning of the pool from that day on. The photographers at the resort are amazing and restaurant staff members are so nice and friendly. I really liked them. But if it wasn't for the people I traveled with, I think my vacation was a total disaster. I had a good time just because I have traveled with my friends. I have traveled to many other countries and stayed at fairly cheap hostels and such, but this was by far THE WORST hotel I have ever stayed at.

Room Tip: somewhere on Building 1,2,3. Closer to the beach, and if it's on the base floor, you will get th...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Asako O
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Not what I expected. The entire place is warm to hot...including the rooms because of poor air conditioning. Food is bland and has no taste...even got ill after eating the steak at the Seaside Grille. Families seem to be the theme here...choose elsewhere if u are going as a group of friends or honeymoon. And last...it is the furtherst resort from the PC airport.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends