“Relaxing Week Away in Punta Cana”

Grand Bahia Principe Bavaro
Ranked #59 of 111 Hotels in Punta Cana
Toronto, Canada
“Relaxing Week Away in Punta Cana”
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We spent the week at Gran Bahia Bavaro (Diamond Club) from Apr 8 to Apr 15. The hotel was nice, and pretty clean. The staff were also very friendly.

We were in building 28 (close-ish to the big pool and the beach) and about the same distance from the "diamond club" pool - which is no longer a diamond club pool. Our view was of other villas ~ nothing to write home about, but we didn't spend that much time on the balcony. We were pretty happy with both the location and quality of the room.

This resort has the trolleys that drive up and down 3 separate routes from the main reception all the way to the beach. We didn't use these much, as we walked at about the same pace as they came, and we didn't happen along them going in the right direction when we needed them. From an accessibility perspective, those with mobility challenges would appreciate this service.

There wasn't any shortage of food or drink.
Getting a lounger pool or beach-side required some maneuvering and commitment to getting up earlier - we were witness to a few arguments over loungers.

A la carte restaurants:
Maiko (the japanese place) was ok, but not really a japanese restaurant if you eat japanese/sushi regularly. Just a side note, we have sushi in Toronto almost every week, so it sushi is your thing, then this restaurant might not be. If I were to return, I'd take a pass on this.
BBQ Restaurant - was really great - the best beef we had on the resort. I'd definitely recommend this place. We went around 7, so we were able to catch the sunset which was really nice, even on a windy day. This restaurant's food is served buffet style, but the food is really much better than the buffets.
Garden Grill - I ordered the tenderloin, which was great. And this restaurant had the best chips and salsa I tried at the resort (I had chips and salsa at every restaurant)
La Mediterranee - this was ok, we talked to some people who had lobster, which was on a different night, but I didn't see this on the menu. I ordered the fish special (which wasn't anything particularly more special than the fish in the buffet)

I hope this was helpful :)

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank kiki_caprice
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,211)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
thonon
Reviewed 17 April 2012

good points : Garden and food;
bad points : sunbeds reservation and crowded beach.
We've been there for a week in april 2012, room 37302.
The hotel is beautiful, with those wonderful gardens, enormous pools and small buildings (three floors high maximum).
The buffet (open for breakfast, lunch and dinner) offers a very good choice of foods (fruit salad is amazing) and good quality; We didn't try the others restaurants, but spoke with some others people who liked them. It's also possible to have lunch very close to the beach with a wonderful view.
The room is as in every bahia principe hotel. Large, but with not enough light in the room and in the bathroom. The bed is fine (2 meters large). it's clean, nothing special to say. Minibar with free pepsi, pepsi light and seven-up.
The pools are large, clean, with hot tub (the water temperature is the same than the pool so hot, but not as hot as in a normal jacuzzi).
The worst part is the beach; Not the water, not the view, but it's too crowded, and it's impossible to have sunbeds with a palapa if you don't wake up at 6.00 AM. And even at 6.00 AM, the palapas on the first and second row are already reserved !
I spoke with a canadian who wake up at 4.30 every morning to reserve his palapa ! Is thaht vacations ?
I don't understand that the hotel accept this.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Richibucto, Canada
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Just got back from Bahia Principe Golden section from April 7-April 14. This is our 2nd trip to this same hotel. The resort is large but thank god for the trolleys. The food was good, was able to go the a la carts without much hassle. Rooms were kept clean and towels were readily available. The staff were helpful and entertaining. The beach is lovely but hard to find a place to sit or a hut, be sure to get up early. I was not prepared for the bites on my whole body, I kept asking the managers and staff were these bites were coming, the room or the beach and got no answer. My next trip I will be sure to pack bug repellant and extra Benadryl.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Verlene2011
B.C. Canada
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Traveled to Gran Bahia Principe in February 2012 for an 8 night stay. (2 couples, 50-55 yrs old) I will try and be brief, informative and objective in my comments! A lot of what is on Tripadvisor as well as other review sites relate to either positive or negative comments on specific traveller's views. I will just tell what we experienced, not so much what we thought! I really feel that people can look at the glass "half full" or "half empty!" (With that being said, I (we) are really glass half full kind of people!)

Traveled Vancouver, BC to Punta Cana on Feb. 19 via Thomas Cook Charters (operated by Air Jazz). Charter does have a very good on- time and reliability rating. Typical full, sun-destination bound charter. Pre-flight seat selection is available for a fee. Meal (hot) offered at no extra charge, (average airline quality). Seats average with MINIMAL leg room. If your tray table is down and passenger in front of you reclines their seat...you are trapped! Audio/Video was poor.
7" ceiling drop down screens every 4 or 5 isles. Hard to view. Was more entertaining to read or nap! Crew was good. No real issues. (It gets you there....and back!)

PUNTA CANA AIRPORT:
All traffic deplanes onto the tarmac. (Hopefully not raining!) Follow the masses inside to customs/immigration. (First bathroom available there!) Took about 30 min. Make sure your airline or travel agent has already included the "visitor's fee" ($10) so you don't have to pay it in the line up. Claimed luggage and headed to staging area for all travelers. Do not listen to anyone offering you help, directions or taxis. (Lot's of time share offers!) We headed to the Sunquest podium as we were informed to do so before deplaning. They directed us to "Bus #1" at the rear area of the lot. Some confusion finding it. (More than one #1 bus!) They do have a checklist with your name and hotel destination. Not as organized as other airports like Cancun.
If you are ever unsure...ASK! (Either someone who hopefully speaks english or fellow travelers.
20 min ride to hotel with informative Sunquest agent.

CHECKIN:
Reasonably quick and efficient. As we were with returning guests, they were offered to be upgraded to DIAMOND CLUB. We would have to remain as GOLD CLUB. I mentioned to the desk clerk that these lovely folks that we were traveling with brought us here as they had such a lovely visit last November and as the two ladies were sisters, we should be Diamond Club guests as well. He at first said no, as this was our first visit but when I slid a U.S. 20 dollar bill out of the corner of my wallet and asked him if this would help, he agreed! (I always wanted to try the "upgrade" at the front desk...it worked!) The normal upgrade is about 80 ea if you book before traveling.) We had the same rooms, but were allowed more access to sit down restaurant bookings, buffet restaurant choices and a few room amenities.
Porters too us and our luggage in a golf style cart to our room and delivered our bags inside. Very friendly and efficient. Tipped $5.

ROOMS: Good size. King bed, not too hard! Couch and table and chairs "sitting area" just before sliding balcony doors. Balcony with table and 2 chairs. Lots of clothes storage. In room safe (daily fee for most guests!) We bought a Milockie lock on line a few years ago and it gives me better piece of mind in using those notorious hotel safes. You always hear of someone who seems to have been robbed of something and they were sure that somehow their safe was accessed. Not going to happen here! Bathroom was roomy with a jetted tub with a hand-held shower wand that worked well. Make up mirror, hair dryer and usual ammenities like shampoo, conditioner, lotion, facecloths etc. Mini fridge in room has a few beer, soda pop, and water. 1.5lt bottle of water for drinking, brushing teeth, making coffee/tea replenished every day. (Except one day when we had no water! Housekeeping was close by and gave us smaller bottles right away as she was out of large ones.) Left housekeeping a few souveniers and $5 each day as they did a good job! Some towel art, flower petal decorations. Took a spare Tim Horton's card to put in the slot inside the door that activates the lights and air conditioning. If you don't have a spare card with you, you are supposed to use your room card when entering. We liked to leave the AC on while we were out for a short time to keep the room cool. AC worked fairly well! Not as cool sometimes during the day, but efficient and quiet enough at night to be very comfortable. Overall the rooms and housekeeping services were very good.

RESTAURANTS: We did not book any sit down restaurants for 2 reasons. First of all, we like the flexibility of going for dinner when we decided for that evening, depending on the day we had. The main reason was that one of our party is Celiac and the buffet restaurants would avail more choices for her. There are 2 main buffets. We found both mirror images of each other is service and food quality. We sometimes went when it was very full, and did experience some items that were then waiting to be replenished and longer lines at the pasta, grilling or breakfast egg "stations" but not the end of the world! Food had a huge array of choices with a very average quality throughout. Lots to choose from, but don't expect that you are going to experience the same as going to a top notch casual dining or finer dining restaurant in Canada. (I'm sure that some people must expect that is what they should be receiving!) Our service was just about always friendly, efficient and without a concern! Of course, at very busy times, there is not as much time to "banter" with the staff. When there was time, they were always engaging, enjoyable and helpful. This is the first all-inclusive that we have been to that doesn't offer coffee service after lunch or dinner. I figured that because of the number of guest they have to accommodate, they want to free the table up and you have to retire to the lobby area to have a coffee or tea after your meal. (With the exception of breakfast.) Breakfast was always good. Good coffee, lots of juices. All your breakfast choices, hot and cold, that you can think of. The Egg/omlette station was great. One morning, I was in line for a couple of fried eggs. A rude guest barked at Wilson (egg chef) that he wanted "2 eggs over easy.....and don't break the yolks!" He was rude and demanding in his request. I commented to my brother-in-law (loudly) that you usually get more flies with honey than you do with vinegar and that I wouldn't even want to serve someone like that. Well...I'm sure he heard me as he glared at me and I just shrugged it off as I'm on holidays and I am going to make sure each day that I have is fun and exciting and a broken yolk wouldn't be the deal breaker! When I approached Wilson I politely asked for "huervo frico, por favor" and he regained his lost smile and served me up. I thanked him by name and gave him a dollar, which I didn't usually do. He saw me later that morning and asked my how my eggs were. I gave him a high five and told him they were great! He was awesome! I addressed every staff member that I encountered by name. (All of them always have a nametag on) It is something that I do because I feel it shows them respect. In turn, I have always been smiled to, served and dealt with professionally and with genuine concern.
If we stayed longer that 8 nights, the food may become a little repetitious. All in all, we enjoyed!

BEACH:
An excellent stretch of beach for swimming and some water sports. The only downside...with 7000 guests, it is NEVER anything less than crowded! We visited the beach, had a swim and a walk, but always lounged by the pool instead. Went on a side trip one day to a public beach that was a blast! Big waves for boogie boarding and surfing and lots of room.

POOLS:
Pool was great. 3 huge main pools and a few smaller ones. We staked our claim each day at the pool closest to our rooms which was adjacent to another large "party" pool. Had a great swim up bar and staff! Tipped a few dollars every now and then and talked to staff when not too busy. Drinks were typical all-inclusive premixed tropical offerings for the most part, but what makes it better is taking your own thermal mug (lots of Canadian Tire Bubba Keg mugs were observed, including ours!) and getting a little inventive with your selections. The last day I just had rum (your choice of 4 or 5 kinds) and pineapple juice and found it refreshing and a little dangerous! Always a good place to chat with fellow travelers and laugh and share stories. (Or laugh at the stories shared!) Did have to get up early and stake our our lounge chairs (which were pretty good) at 6:30-7am. Went back to the room then and got cleaned up for breakfast. Headed to the lounge chairs at 9-10am and relaxed until 1pm or so. Enjoyed lunch, then back to the chairs until 4 or 5pm. A "few" drinks, read a book, go for a walk, (did I mention a few drinks?) Back to the room for a shower and relax for a bit. Go to dinner around 7pm. Have a stroll after dinner then hit the theatre for the 9pm nightly show. Then a stroll back to the room, have a sleep and do it all over again! No issues with the pools, cleanliness or service for towels or drinks.

HOTEL:
The property is huge! It is 5 resort areas in one. If you book the "cheapest" package, you will probably be offered a room in the "Premier Section". This section is furthest from the beach and main pools. It is even further than the main lobby area is! The Bavaro and Punta Cana sections are the main middle sections of the resort. All the rooms a basically the same. 18 rooms per 3 story building. Train type trollies fun from the lobby area to the beach area constantly. Our room was building 30 which was perfect! Right in the middle, 2 min walk to the pool and a 5 min walk to either the beach or the lobby area.

STAFF:
We encountered some staff with limited english. (Gee...figure that!) We always were greeted with a Hola and/or a smile. Staff helped with any questions or concerns we had. The only time that I saw staff being "indifferent" to a guest is when a guest was being loud, rude or demanding. Like I stated earlier, greet them by name (ask how to pronounce it if you don't know!) and they will be warm and accommodation to you! One fellow who we picked up a pre-paid DVD from after a day tour was not very happy as he seemed unfriendly and business like only when exchanging our "invoice" for our DVD. Too bad for him...won't ruin my day, he looked like his was worse! lol.

EXCURSIONS:
Met as a group with our Sunqust rep one morning as they were able to give you an overview of daily excursions that may be of interest. We decided on a half day trip on a catamaran called Caribbean Festival and a full day tour on Mega Trucks. The catamaran tour took us for about a half hour drive to the beach staging area. We had an information orientation, selected a life jacket and headed aboard. Some music and a few more directions given to us as we sailed to an area about 30 min off-shore. There was a large penned area with Manta Rays in one side and Nurse sharks swimming in the other side. We were escorted into each area and interacted with both. Then we sailed a little further to a reef area where we could all snorkel. Was a little rough and crowded but not too bad. Have experienced better reefs and conditions. After an hour or so, headed back to the dock, dancing and having a few drinks on the way. Was fairly good entertainment for the price. Left at 9am and back at 2pm.
The Mega Truck excursion was more involved. Left at 8am on huge 6 wheel drive trucks that sat 24 of us up top. Our guide was awesome (Mr. Kelly) who was a local who had been doing this same job for 20 years. He was very informative and helpful at all times. Our driver (Billy) was professional, helpful and funny at all times! After leaving the hotel, we rode for abour 30 min to a small town and picked up our photographer for the day. In brief, this is what we experienced. Traveled to a farm where you could partake in a 20 min (kinda lame) horseback ride around a field. Chance for a bathroom break and got bit by a noisy goose! (It was funny!)
Headed back down the highway and stopped at a roadside hut that offered cigar rolling, cigar sales and local art consisting of carvings, paintings and jewellry. Prices were very good here (as were the cigars!) and if you didn`t have enough cash, Mr. Kelly would take care of it and you could pay him back when you got back to your resort. Headed into the jungle and stopped at a little village where they harvested cocoa, coffee and coconut oil. Showed us the processed involved and then could buy goods if you wanted. Got to go inside some of the local huts and see how they resided. Was informative and bought some oil, coffee and Mamajuana. (Dominican liquor which is VERY MEDICINAL!) lol Had samples and bought some home!
Stopped at another area where other tour operators congregated and had a great lunch! Best of any excursion that we have experienced in 6 or 8 other excursions in the Caribbean. After that , visited a small school and got to understand their education system a bit. Left a few souveniers, school supplies and even a few dollars then headed for the public (Macao) Beach. Did some relaxing and boogie boarding. Was a great end to the trip as your were a little salty and sandy then, but next stop was back at the resort. Returned about 6pm and tipped Mr. Kelly and Billy $15 ea for their services. Was a great excursion for abour 90 ea.
When we did encounter some vendors, both on and off the resort, some of them are relentless. Have patience or walk away if not your cup of tea! When I did want to barter, stayed calm, reserved and respectful of the process. Always did better this way! Usually about half of what is offered is fair. If I really liked the deal, then a small tip on top was appreciated. Made for a good stepping stone for a second purchase if desired! No one was ever rude though, just persistent.

ANIMATION:
Each evening there would be a show in the covered theater area at 9 and 10:30 that was for your entertainment. We have been to 5 all inclusive resorts with animation teams, and this was about as good as it gets! From theme nights like Hollywood review, to a circus night with acrobats and performers that were very good. The Michael Jackson review was freakin`awesome! (Usually they are kinda corny, but this dude was talented!) The audience participation night was a bit lame, but what the hell...we had a few laughs.

DEPARTING:
Had to be picked up at 6:45am at the lobby. Went at 5:30am to check out and small area of the buffet was open for coffee, juice and a few offerings. Headed to the airport and arrived and lined up at the check in counter before the staff arrived! 20 min wait or so then smooth check in. There are a few restaurants, (Cinnabon, Burger Joint and typical snack bar and coffee offerings at inflated prices.) 591ml diet Coke was $3 at one vendor and $4 at another about 50 paces away! Had a coffee (for 3.50) and enjoyed my last cigar in an outdoor post-security area adjacent to the check in gate! Back on the same aircraft and seats for the 8+ hour direct flight back to Vancouver. The Dash 8 that travels from Vancouver to Smithers BC has a new appreciation for its comfort now!

OVERVIEW
Any trip is as good as you want to make it. Sometimes not everything may be to your liking...but for god sakes....don`t sweat the small stuff. If you get a good price and your weather is reasonable then you can have a great trip! I did find that I like smaller resorts as 7000 guests is pretty demanding for any resort, let alone in a third world country. There are always bound to be a few things that you might not expect. I did marvel at what it must take to manage and staff a property as large as the Gran Bahia Principe. From groundskeepers, housekeeping, maitenence, guest services, bartenders, restaurant staff and food preparation. I did sense that most people that we encountered in the Dominican had a realization of how important the tourist dollar is to their economy. They were eager to embrace you and at the same time have you add to the economy in many ways.

There is probably a number of other areas that I could mention, but I think this is long enough! If anyone contacts me and wants any further info as to what we encountered or experienced, feel free to drop me a line. I will be happy to share our thoughts.

Room Tip: Look at a resort map and decide where you want to be. Close to the pool, beach or lobby is your choi...