“Gread condition!”

US$ 165.00*
and up
The Lakes Golf Club at Barcelo Hotel in Punta Cana
Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Played in the afternoon - shoot in low 90s. - walk on without reservation to this P B Dye designed course. No one was playing. Felt like I had the entire course by myself! Got set up with rental clubs - Callaways X Set (extra charge $35). Include bucket of range balls. Cart fee was $50. Green fee is included in the resort. Mini cooler with drinks (water) is supplied. No caddies.

The course was beautifully maintained. Fairways perfect and greens rolled true. Good tee boxes. Didn't think it was that difficult for my skill set.

Not much undulation and pretty much flat course. No ocean/beach vista but lots of palm trees everywhere, of course. The bunkers didn't have fluffy white sands like I experienced at courses at upscale courses.

Few holes were picturesque - particularly the par 3s. Few blind shots holes. Watch out for #17 hole second shot. There is a creek running front of the green. Didn't even see it until I saw a splash on my second shot! #18 first shot is tough - have to clear lake and wind is against you! Pin placement info not given. Bring your range finder if you have one. Wish they provided a yardage book.

Even though the course is pretty wide open, bring extra balls just in case. If you hit into brushes, considered it lost!

No drink carts. You better bring your own snacks (from your room) if you like to snack while playing. I brought extra soda from my room mini bar. They do meet up with you at the turn to refill your cooler with drinks.

It's nice that golf is included in the resort but cart fee required and rental clubs fee means you will be spending $85-95 for "free golf"

Overall - nice experience. Would I play multiple time? Only if you are die hard golfer who bring their own clubs.

All reviews
"small buffet"
"greens and fairways"
"tee box"

Reviewed 28 July 2017 via mobile

Well played several times since it was included in my room rate, and it didn't disappoint, that number 9 it's very nice.

Reviewed 1 June 2017

5 of us played this course in late May. We were not guests of the hotel, so green fees were $110 and clubs were $40. Overall it’s a very nice course and was in exceptional condition. While not overly long, wasteland and water make it challenging enough, especially for an inconsistent golfer like me. The attendants were very nice setting you up, and they send you out with a cooler with 4 bottles of water. On the turn, you could get more water and small cans of ice cold Coors Light. There was no beverage cart the day we were there, and the course was not very crowded at all.

A couple of issues. First, we had an employee on a lawn mower follow us for a couple of holes trying to sell us golf balls and water. I don’t think anybody would like that experience. Second, even though you have to walk through a restaurant/bar called the 19th hole to get to the course after you pay, don’t think you can get a drink there, even if you are willing to pay. After golf, they basically threw us out because we weren’t hotel guests. I would understand that if it was a separate facility, but they make you walk through the place to get to the golf course, and they certainly don’t tell you beforehand that you can’t go there. They pretty much set you up to be thrown out. So while I might give the course 4 or 5 stars, I’ll give the overall experience 1 star for asking me to leave.

Reviewed 26 April 2017 via mobile

Well stayed at the Barcelo Bavaro Palace, waiting on an incident that occurred at the hotel in order to make a formal review. Anyway the course is awesome very well kept and the greens are meticulously kept, the 9 green it's a hard one and pretty to look at. When coming to the 10 tee box they got a fellow waiting to refill you with beer or water whatever your preference, since they stack you with water from the start.
Played 3 rounds awesome.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 April 2017

The course is in good shape. It's a challenging one with fairly narrow fairways, a lot of sand bunkers and water hazards. Rusty or novice golfers will find this course very difficult. The greens were small and challenging as well. The marshals are on top of golfers, ensuring people adhere to the time limits and allowing others to play through. We had no problems getting the tee times we wanted when we arrived at the resort.

Even though the round is free if you are a Barceló guest, you must pay for your cart which is expensive compared to other destinations we have been to. The golf carts are mandatory but are in rough shape. They are expensive for what you get. During one round, one of our carts was struggling to make it back to the club house on the back 9. It was surging the entire time.

Drink service is non-existent until hole 10. We got around that by taking the beer from our mini-fridges in our rooms. There is no food service on the course, but there is the buffet on site for before or after your round. Hoyo 19 is very nice. Next trip we will actually take the time to eat here.

There were a few couples ahead of us who somehow got a bit tipsy. The women thought they could get away with only wearing bikini tops; however there is a strict dress policy that the course marshal enforces. He asked the women to put their tops back on, and they became offended blaming other golfers for complaining about them. Nobody on the course at that time cared what they were wearing, but the course has an image it is trying to maintain. The group became somewhat verbally confrontational with other golfers, due in part to their liquid courage.

1  Thank Kirbster119