“Very Enjoyable-Will go back!”

Hotel Riu Palace Bavaro
Ranked #56 of 112 Hotels in Punta Cana
Reviewed 6 June 2012

This review is a little late - my girlfriend and I went to this resort the last week of March. This was my first all-inclusive trip, she had been on one previously but at a RIU in Mexico. Overall, this trip was definitely great. It's a review, so I'll be picky, since I rely heavily on other jetsetter's and their opinions too. Check in was a little weird/slow only because when we got there they said we didn't have a reservation even though I had the paperwork. Turns out they had spelled my name wrong which was the reason for the confusion. No big deal! They got us a shot of the Mamajuana rum while we waited! (About a 20 min drive from the airport).

Room literally looked exactly like the pictures, we had a huge balcony that viewed the garden/bed area. Even though you couldn't see the ocean it was still a pretty view. Beds were a little hard but that's preference of course on how you like your mattress.

Mini bar and fridge were refilled every day with whatever you used from the day/night before. It's really stocked and they refill the liquor when it starts to get low. Room service is quick but options are limited. More for a snack if you are hungry later after dinner.

Monte Cristo - the buffet which is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner was excellent. We tried all the specialty restaurants for dinner minus Krystal and ended up at the buffet anyway. Tons of options, food was delicious (bfast, lunch and dinner). Plus it's nice to have mimosas or bloody marys in the morning! Taino which is the continental snack place during the day has good options and is closer to the beach with a nice view.

Pool bar was great, the guys who do the drink runs are pretty quick and the bar was always fast. You can bring your drinks down to the beach as well. One note, if you order a drink such as a pina colada - you want to ask WITH RUM. Otherwise they will make it a virgin.

Outdoor bar that opens near the stage once the pool closes is really nice and fun to be outside after hours. They also do entertainment which is nice to at least have something to watch!

It's like a mini palace, very clean. The weather was good minus one day of rain but we made the best of it and drank at the lobby bar and in our room. What else can you do!

The only downside is the during the day the entertainment crew can be a little pushy/annoying and sometimes the male servers can be a little aggressive trying to flirt with you. That really was the only annoying part of the trip. We will most likely go back to this RIU if not definitely Punta Cana. It is a beautiful spot.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank ShayK3333
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 June 2012

We arrived early, around 11am. Even though check in was not til 3pm we got a room right away. The hotel lobby is gorgeous, very modern. The rooms are beautiful, again very modern and very clean. We decided to stick to the buffet for our meals which were delicious! Lots of variety for every meal! The a la carte restaurants had a good menu, I'm sure they were great. The pool is great always lots of chairs, great poolside bar service. Lots of games and entertainment throughout the day. The entertainment team were halarious! Housekeeping service was great, never an issue with cleanliness or towels. A lot of people were bilingual and spoke many different languages quite well. If they didn't know what u were asking for or needed, they found someone who did. Overall it was a fantastic honeymoon, I would definately return to this resort and would recommend it to anyone!

• Stayed: May 2012
4  Thank BryKing
Reviewed 6 June 2012

My husband & I just returned on 31 May We cannot find one negative complaint! We have been to many 5 star resorts Mexico, Cuba, Jamaica. This is by far the best!
Room 3042 was spotless.
Food a la carte were all delicious and good service. Buffet good food and service! Lots of variety.
Beach only one word Amazzzzing!
Drinks at the lobby bar the best!
One important advice: If you want to buy souvenirs or alcohol do not wait until you get to the airport prices are higher!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank southpamela
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Before I start, I just want to say that our experience of this hotel was totally ruined by Riu Management and our holiday company, Thomson. We stayed for 2 weeks in April.

The hotel itself is lovely, the food was ok (although most of our party were struck down by a very unpleasant stomach bug from our meal on the last night), the drinks were for the most part good and the majority of the staff were very friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately, we had money stolen out of our in-room safe halfway through our stay here. We had to get our safe opened by hotel staff on two occasions because our young children had messed with the keypad. The safe only allows 3 attempts at the passcode before it locks itself and has to be opened by someone with an override code. It was after this that the money was taken so we suspect that it was a member of staff who had the override code. The two managers that we reported the theft to accused us of lying and seemed more perturbed about the fact that the safe may have had a fault. Not once did they apologise or even acknowledge that there was any sort of issue. We were lied to and ignored and no-one even bothered to come to look at the safe. We ended up having to carry our valuables round with us for the second half of our stay. Our holiday rep wasn't able to help us and in fact advised us against reporting the theft to the police, which Riu now claim is one of the things we should have done to satisfy their insurance company.

Since returning home, and despite the fact that we have Riu's own literature stating that they accept responsibility for items locked in the in-room safe, Riu have refused to claim on their insurance and offered us a very feeble and generic email apology. They have now taken the stance of ignoring us - great customer service. Thomson have also been useless and have sided with Riu. We shouldn't have expected anything else I suppose as once you've paid for your holiday (a very substantial amount of money, I hasten to add!), they're not interested in any problems you may experience.

If this incident hadn't happened, we would definitely have recommended this resort, however based on the attitude of both Riu Management at the resort, their customer service staff at their head office and Thomson, we will never stay at another Riu hotel anywhere nor use Thomson for any more holidays.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
24  Thank M2012_12
Reviewed 4 June 2012

My wife and I made our 3rd trip to Punta Cana from May 23-30. The previous 2 times we stayed at RIU Palace Punta Cana and really like that resort, so we decided to try this new one. We've also stayed at RIU in Cancun and Puerto Vallarta. The first, most obvious difference here is the decor. The color & style seems a little garish at first but it really grew on us and we liked it. It is still pretty new, but they're doing a good job with cleanliness & maintenance. The buffet at Montechristo had a wide variety of really good food. The fish, salads, juices at breakfast, and deserts were my favorite. The Japanese restaurant is similar to what they have at the other RIUs, and it is well done. Surf & turf at the steakhouse was okay, but we didn't care for Krystal too much- (although the snapper was right on). I have to say that I don't think I had a decent glass of wine all week. I actually thought it was watered down at first, but I watched a server pull the cork on a bottle once and that tasted the same. The Cappucino coffee bar is really a great touch. We stopped in there at least twice per day. We had an ocean front jacuzzi suite on the ground floor, perfect - couldn't have asked for better. (I hope they never try to build a path along the front of the resort with brick pavers or concrete). So, being in the VIP section was nice. The pool was pretty low key and not crowded. But for some reason they don't really use the pool side of the bar. The bartenders do come down to serve people in the pool though. Our room was right next to the Sensimar pool bar. I really don't think the 'Germans only' Sensimar area is as big of a deal as some other reviewers. They have their own block of rooms, pool & pool bar, and a restaurant that seems to have the same menu as Krystal. Other than the fact that they stock Presidente beer, it's not any different than any other guest gets. We never had a problem finding beach chairs in comfortable/shady spots. The swimming area is huge and the water gets pretty deep and a little chilly when you first step in. I snorkeled out by the ropes in the grassy area. I brought a little bread out there & saw a lot of fish and a small stingray. Fair warning: 6 oz. bottle of Banana Boat sunscreen goes for $27, (one brand over $34!). Bring plenty from home. I also have to mention that the hotel & Apple Vacations really did me a BIG favor after we had checked out and were about to check in for our return flight at the airport. I won't go into detail, but it was significant and they couldn't have been nicer.

We really enjoyed RIU Palace Bavaro. It was a great time and we are planning on going back soon.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple